Register now to get rid of these ads!

Educate me please on ... M1/ M-100 trucks ( Mercury trucks ) in Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

Were ALL the Ford based trucks in Canada badged as a Mercury ??
    Are the M1 and M-100 just a Ford F1 and F-100 with a Mercury name plate ?

How difficult is it to find a decent 1948/1949/1950 or 1956 Mercury truck ?

Thanks in advance :D

Deuce Roadster

2. Bill Walford

Bill Walford
    from fl.

Mercury trucks are basically Canadian,with some brought into U.S.
    I found a 59 Merc panel in Ohio last year,but a 56 merc pickup will be rare.
    I am looking myself.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Thanks ...

Were any of the 56 M-100 a " BIG BACK WINDOW " like the F-100's ?
    Or was this a put together truck ?

[​IMG]

I had a couple of 1956 F-100 big back windows many years ago.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Mercury trucks were nothing more or less than Ford trucks with the Merc badging. These were never offered sale in the USA just Canada, Mexico and other parts of the world.

I'd be surprised to see any foreign hi-end trucks like Cameos or big window Fords etc. They were trucks overseas, made and sold to work, to haul, to make money, not spend it.

5. henryj429

henryj429

Do a search -there have been a few threads in the past on this topic. I lived in Canada for 34 years. I owned several 53-56 M-100s, but I've never seen a big window. They can still be had - they show up at Canadian swap meets all the time.

6. R Pope

R Pope

Merc trucks were built so Lincoln-Mercury dealers in Canada would have a truck to sell. Ford dealers still sold Ford trucks. The last Mercury truck was 1972, had a few of 'em myself.
    The Merc's were flashier most years, more chrome, nicer grilles, better seats. After all, they were Mercury's!
    Also Canadian were Maple Leaf trucks (GMC) and Fargo trucks. Plymouth actually made a Ramcharger clone, too, but I don't think it was exclusively Canadian.

7. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

There were also Canadian built Fords comparable to the F1 series, the half ton was badged as an F47. The guy I bought my '46 Ford pickup from had a couple of F47 trucks as well that he had for sale.

http://www.mercurypickup.com/truck_data.htm

8. OneBad56

OneBad56

This has been discussed in great detail in another thread not so long ago.
    Do your searches before you do your asking. thx.:(

9. Never realy noticed one around here. Just a few f-100 that i've noticed. Merc had the 1/4 longer stroke too, i believe, in the flatty.

10. tinmann

tinmann

Ford AND Mercury trucks were sold in Canada, Randy. I know of a '56 Merc truck, but not a big window. Are you looking for one?

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes ... I want a 48/52 M1 or a 56 M-100 ... and when the snow clears up there ... I could be a buyer of that one .How difficult is it to get one legally across the USA/Canada border into the states. I would need a legal paper work trail for it.
    I have a good towing truck and a nice open trailer to haul one down SOUTH :D

I do not play with altered numbers, no titles, no paperwork vehicles.

I could be a buyer ... now, but NO SNOW driving/hauling for this SOUTHERN guy. :eek:

12. tinmann

tinmann

PM me your contact info Randy. In the meantime, I'll get ahold of my buddy who has the '56 and find out the particulars. I don't have any interest in playing middle man in this deal if it should happen. I have a vague recollection it may be a long wheelbase truck. I'm about to head off for Christmas with all my kids so I may be out of contact until early next week.

I think I have a pair of '49 - '51 Merc M-1 hood emblems, they're your's free as my Christmas present to you. After all you sent me patterns for my 3w seat expecting nothing in return.

Daryl

P.S. Driving in snow is a matter of fact for us hardy northerners.... don't you need a little adventure in your life?

13. Mercury trucks equipped with flatheads did not have the 4" crank. Only mercury and monarch cars.

All the mercury is, is a ford with mercury letters, the 48-52's had chrome on the fenders similar to the 41-48 cars. Other than that their same.
    I have a 66 Mercury M-100 that I'm trying to get rid of.

14. Let me know if you need a co-pilot. ;)

JH

15. Old61

Old61
    from PA

So if I stopped by your garage and asked a question that you already answered for someone else, you wouldn't answer it again? :mad:

16. R Pope

R Pope

Jalopy Kid----wrong on the trucks not having 255's! I have a half dozen of them, all out of trucks.

17. Randy, I have a friend just south of me that wants me to come look at a 56 merc pickup he wants to sell. I haven't seen it yet so can't give any info. He has had it for years. I will check it out sometime this winter and get back to you. I am about 2 hours north of the Montana border and paperwork would come with the truck. Easy for you to take one south yourself. A little more work to broker one to ship it south if you don't pick it up.

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------
    To bring a Canadian car or truck into the U.S is relatively simple.as titles were never used here. Alll you need for "legal paperwork" is a
    signed over Provincial ownership from the person you bought the vehicle from and a bill of sale , with the VIN number, a decription of the vehicle - ie -make, year and model, and the purchase price, signed by the owner and stating that he is selling the vehicle to you.
    Then, before you cross the border and head for U.S Customs, you need to stop at Canada Customs, and show them your paperwork.They'll run the VIN number in their computer to verify that the vehicle is not stolen or wanted in a criminal investigation and that it has no liens or money owing against it. If everything checks out ok, Canada Customs will stamp your paperwork and give it back to you. You *need* to have the Canada Customs stamp on the paperwork or U.S customs will not allow you to import the vehicle, so don't skip this step. Also, be aware that Canada Customs legally has up to 72 hours to process your paperwork, although it usually takes 24 hours or less.You can save yourself some time, by 'Fed-Exing' or 'Purolating' your paperwork to Canada Customs a few days ahead of your arrival so they can have your paperwork approved and waiting for you when you arrive at the border. If you do this though, they have to have the original paperwork, not photocopies. If you send your paperwork on ahead, though, be sure to make photocopies of everything for yourself, just in case!

Mart3406
    ===============================

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was wondering who was going to make this comment to a long standing member that knows we have a search feature here. :D It's funny too because that HUGE Mercury Truck thread that was just around was pretty comical with all the Canadian guys comments. I'll see if I can dig it up for Randy.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408474&highlight=mercury&showall=1

Randy, if you get a hauler to bring it to Detroit for you. I can keep it here till the snow melts OR maybe you could get BenD to haul it from Detroit to Earl Schiebs place and you could pick it up there.

20. Educate me please on ... M1/ M-100 trucks ( Mercury trucks ) in Canada

Thanks for not saying "School me"

21. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Re Mercury trucks - every model of Ford truck sold in Canada from 1946 to 1968 was also duplicated in Mercury trim. I've seen Mercury big windows, small windows, Unibodies, Merc Econoline vans and pickups and even Mercury conventional and C.O.E. "big trucks". Back in the '60's and '70's a neighbor of ours was a trucker, mostly hauling produce out of Florida and bringing it up to Toronto. For a while in the mid- 1960s he drove a brand new Super Duty Mercury M-950 tandem tractor, powered by a 534 Ford V8 gas burner. He used to tell stories about the looks and comments he got every time he went stateside with that truck forom U.S truckers who had never seen or heard of a Mercury truck before!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  22. The Big M

The Big M

The previous thread definitely got WAAAY off track.

It's quite common to see Canadian-built Ford and Mercury trucks that were equipped with the Custom Cab package, which offered options that were luxurious for trucks at the time. It typically included items like headliners, sunvisors, chrome grilles and windshield surrounds, dome lights, extra trim, etc. I have seen a few 61-63 Merc unibody trucks with the big back window as well, which is a rare option in its own right. I'm not sure if that translates to the '56 and earlier models but there definitely were high-end trucks offered outside of the US, at least in Canada.

That may be true of early models, referring specifically to the extra trim the Jalopy Kid mentioned and whether or not the flathead era trucks got the 4" crank (I can't confirm or deny because I'm not an expert), but I don't think it applies to anything from 57-68 ('68 being the final year of production, not '72).

Perhaps a greater percentage of Mercs were sold in Custom Cab trim but I don't believe there were any Merc-specific options that couldn't be had in a similarly equipped Ford. The only differences would have been badges, tailgates, hubcaps, and those grilles that included script, such as '61. I have seen later Mercury trucks with painted grilles instead of chrome, so lower-end models were available as well.

23. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

THANKS, I saw that thread in a search before I started this thread, but ... at over 240 plus posts ... there was NOT a LOT of Mercury truck education in it. I did find this photo of the canadian girl was very EDUCATIONAL ;) ;)

[​IMG]

But ( to get back on topic ) I would like to like a M1 about like this one :D

[​IMG]

Just a good, decent start ... :)

And thanks MART 3406 ... for the info on getting a Mercury across the border legally to the States :D

24. 46-50 are M-47 for Mercs and Canadian Fords from 46-50 are F-47. 47 standing for 4700lbs(half tons) 51-56 are M-1.
    I've had and have lots of Merc trucks. I have a '48 M-47 right now that has been in the family since new, its not a perfect gem but will be when I'm done with it!
    And yes Merc trucks came with the 4" crank. Every one I've had has had the big mill in it. I've had a big window 56 Merc too. I'm also working on getting a '61 Merc big window shortbox fleetside.
    All flatty eligible Merc and Ford trucks came with V-8 flattys, no canadian trucks of the flatty era ever came with 6 cylinders. This was because our beer is WAY heavier then US beer so we needed the big power to get us home from the beerstore:D

-Shiny

25. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Actually ALL Mercury trucks of the flathead era had Ford flatheads, a Mercury truck did not come with Merc cranks/Merc pistons (wrist pin heigth).....

26. Tough crowd.

27. henryj429

henryj429

Rick at Loboys.com has a 50 Merc for sale. Tell him Larry sent ya.....

28. I Completely restored a 49 Merc 1 ton last winter, had a 3.75" crank
    Three summers ago a friend of mine bought 5 48-52 ford and merc trucks at an auction for the engines,
    They all had 3.75" cranks, even the mercurys. So that's from my personal experience, plus every restoration guru I have talked to locally all claim the 4" crank was only in mercury and monarch passenger cars.
    Now that being said, the 4" cranks you guys had could have been put in sometime after the truck left the factory. One of the guys I work with has a 52 F-1 with a 51 Mercury passenger car engine in it.
    If you blew up your 239 in your F-1 or M-1 truck say in 1958 for example, why wouldnt you put a 255 merc engine back in? More power for better hauling.
    I'm not aruguing that you guys did not have 4" cranks in your merc trucks, I am just stating from what I know from expericence.

Eric Crow likes this.
  29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

30. moefuzz

moefuzz

During the last years of the Flathead powered Mercury, certain models did include a 4" crank as well as factory adjustable lifters. The heavier Merc's like the M3 and M6 got all the hp making goodies right from the factory.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009