Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost Hot Rod- It's alive!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Pat Ganahl is putting together a new book titled "Lost Hot Rods". He is including my old RPU in the book. He came by the shop this morning to borrow some old pics from my scrap book. After showing me some copies of Eric Rickman pics from the '62 HRM shoot that he rescued from the Petersen dumpster, he gave me these two recent pics. After sitting in pieces in Bruce Geisler's warehouse, it wa sold to a fellow in England in '96. After sitting there for over 13 years, restoration has finally begun. A correct 283 has been found and dropped in the frame, along with the correct Culver City Halibrand QC. The pieces were put back together so these pics could be taken for the book. I am not ashmed to say I had tears in my eyes when I saw these pics. It's been over 23 years since I last saw the car. I can't believe the headers Jerry Belanger built in '61 are still with it. The Greg Schifano top and tarp still look great. The interior is in excellent shape, and only needs new carpet. This little roadster was in my life for 27 years. So many memories................................

Attached Files:

sko_ford and Brootal like this.
  2. Mart

Mart

Glad it's up and rolling again.
    Mart.

3. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

I'm glad Pat found your old RUP.. It gets memories going..We will be looking for Pat's new book.

4. Muttley

Muttley

Why did you sell it? Was it just time or some sort of financial problem? Its too bad they let it go down hill so far that it has to be restored in the first place.

5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cool truck.I wonder if thats the same book or another book he is doing,he did a photo a shoot on my Merc which was in Carcraft July 1957 for a book he's doing called survivor cars.Sorry.Didn't mean to hijack your thread.Just curious.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  6. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

A quick look will tell that you still don't own it. He probably can't make it as fast as you did, either. That car would still be fast today. Nice meeting you again at the GNRS a year or two ago.

Stan Back
    San Berdoo Roadsters

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hell, I'd be tearing up too. That was (is) my favorite roadster of all time. I'm so glad to see it still in existence. What are the plans for it? I hope it involves Halibrands.

Attached Files:

8. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Oh My God what a great looking truck!! WOW O WOW

HURST

9. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Cool story and looking geat truck

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

11. Pat didn't find the car, Steve Dennish (Limey Steve) actually found out where it was years ago. Pat got the contact info from Steve. I still have a few pieces from the car, but Steve says we will "ransome" them to help move the restoration along. Last word Steve got was that it is to be restored to the '62 HRM cover version, in the '61 Corvette Roman Red. I too would like to see it in the Junior Conway candy version with the Halibrands and the 4-71 on the motor. That's the way it looked when my wife and I took it on our first date in '63.

And, Muttley, we won't be discussing the stupidity that let the car get away. :(

12. Great stuff Dean & good to hear it will be restored.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's amazing!!! I hope that you reunite with the car very soon. i would love to see it at next years GNRS for sure. Soo cool....

14. blackout

blackout

Great news. The car is an icon and deserves a proper restoration.

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

If Pat's involved, it's going to be great!
    Hope the ransom plans push that beauty into full resto.

16. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

I know Pat's been trying for a while to get in touch with the current owner - glad he finally got a reply, cool to see something's underway!

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'll post up some photos of it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  18. skyspop

skyspop

Awesome,i thought your truck was long gone,i know I asked you about it a while ago ,when I wanted to use it as my inspiration,and avitar,i have several pages earmarked from about ten different magazines in my collection of about 1500 old mags,of your car in different stages,and looks,If you need any one year or period,let me know,I can scan them or mail you a copy if you like.I brought one down to where my rpu is now,so andy can reference a few things,I think it was an early hot rod,as the pages were the cool green if I remember...I'm not trying to clone it in any uncertain way,just think you really nailed the look I really dig in a full fendered roadster pickup.right down to louvers in the splash apron,and rear gate.i will probablly keep the box stock length though,..Hope to see some progress pics of the restoration,yours is for sure one of the coolest...

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Cool (except for the shrunken head)!

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Dean, I'm pleased that your old hot rod is finally going to be put back the way you and your dad built it those many years ago. I still have the Hot Rod Magazine when it was featured back then. I dug it out and reread it while we were doing our deal on the wire wheels. I'm still amazed that a young guy could (with this fathers help) put together a national record holding car in a hotly contested class. The fact that you had dyno Don Nicholson in the mix makes it even more special. In my world you would have the chance when it's finished to take it down the 1/4 mile one more time. Do you think an "old guy" could still make all 3 shifts in that 4 spd.? No doubt here.:cool::)

Frank

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Does it still have the Kurtis-built frame and suspension?

24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

dean, i talked to you alittle bit here on the hamb about your old truck, you know what i would do, i would build it again !!! i know it would not be the same truck but the feeling could be the same! with all the resources here on the hamb, there would be no problem coming up with the parts. im no kid anymore, but when i was younger, 1 had a 56 chevy belair that was a really nice car, and a 56 that i raced at the strip, i have missed those two cars more than any of the fleet i have had over the years. there gone, but before i get in the chome box, im going to go back to those memories and clone either one or both of them!!! thats the plan, do it, life is short.

25. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

mother fuckin COOL

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

So Dean, Fill me in.
    The guy buys it, ships it to England and his plans were...what?
    Its been sitting ll this rime...why?
    Doug

27. 296ardun

296ardun

Got to sit in it once one night at the Powerine station in Pasadena, really glad it might be coming back to life!

28. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Bitchinn RPU alot of others have tried to capture that look. Kudo's for Pat,once again his book sounds like a great project !!!

29. hemifarris

hemifarris

I was 17 when your truck was on the cover of Hot Rod and it was one of my favorites back then and still is........Mike