Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
LOW LID DUDE

Default Mechanic gets crushed by car

Jack stands,what jack stands.We don't need no stinkin jack stands.Being stupid can get ya killed! Never go under a car without them.A jack alone is not a guarantee your safe. You will see why if you google(Mechanic gets crushed by car,) OH YEA keep stupid friends away when working on cars.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
94hoghead

Default Re: Mechanic gets crushed by car

I know of two people that happened to. One's crippled and ones dead.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
historynw
Alliance Member

I agree its not a pleasant thing to get a car off a body. I even shove the spare under the frame when changing a tire. Some people think its silly but some jacks are pretty crappy.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
LOW LID DUDE

Those cheep junk jackstands made out of stamped steel that they have been selling for years should be outlawed.I have seen too many people working on cars with them.It amazes me how someone could think they are safe with them. If you have them throw them in the scrap pile. Saving $ could cost a life,always buy good quality heavy duty jacks and stands.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
TagMan
Alliance Member

I had a freind have a motor home crush him to death. The guy was a roundy-round driver and a good one, as well as a great mechanic. He was in a hurry to fix the motor home to get going on vacation. His young son found him............

It only takes one instance of neglect to change many people's lives. Slow down and think before you act and use a back-up system, if possible. I have a couple of 10" square hardwood blocks I put under the car when it's up on jack stands, just in case.

And DON'T use cinder blocks or those #!*&! tin jack stands for anything - cut 'em up and trash them!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
oldguard
Alliance Member

In our group years ago we lost one of our club members, Wayne Hay, http://www.streetkingsokla.com/HISTORY_1.html , due to this problem, young and being in a hurry. Wayne had a lowrider pickup truck and had just gotten the new engine/trans installed and in his haste to put the driveshaft in, he used a bumper jack, and obviously not thinking, he crawled under it to tighten the driveshaft bolts. And of course in doing so the tightening motion carried to the wheel, caused it to move and roll off the jack and no jackstands. The really sad part was that his two young boys, 2 and 4 were watching thier father work on his hot rod. One of our group had gone to help Wayne and came upon this situation.....It was too late for him but not to late for you, be safe, block the tires and use jackstands. Safety first, not just a motto, but a lifestyle!

Waterloo Auto Parts Inc
Edmond OK

Street Kings Motor Club
founding member, established 1976

http://www.streetkingsokla.com/HISTORY_1.html
Old 12-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
38fordpickup
Old School HAMBer

I have one of those cheap stamped sheet metal jack stands in my garage. The welded seam on it split under load. Fortunately I wasn't under the truck when it did. I keep it around just to show people how dangerous those things are and why they should throw theirs away.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
fanspete
Alliance Member

It's happened twice around here. A guy I know just barely slid away in time, too. It eats at me also when you see some cat with the jack under something and the stands in place but the vehicle is hovering an inch or so above the stands! I guess that buys you enough time to think 'oh, shit' before you die!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
hotrod-Linkin
Old School HAMBer

been covered many times.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Scott K

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod-Linkin View Post
been covered many times.

...and yet we still have people doing it.

The occasional safety reminder never hurts.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
blojectedj
Grenade Inspector

When I was still in high school I was in a hurry to work on my car, raised it with the bumper jack got under it and realized I needed a larger wrench. I crawled out and took two steps the car rolled off the jack, taught me a lesson!!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
Strange Agent
Old School HAMBer

It's a dangerous thing. I'm guilty of it, though. I'll work on being more careful. Getting yourself crushed isn't worth it.

Patience. Patience.. Patience...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
MarkzRodz
BANNED

I still have a pair of those muffler tubing split in 3 and tack welded legs type of jack stands. I need to cut 'em up so my sons don't use them later on thinking that I used them.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
40chevythrowensparks
Grenade Inspector

i had a car come down on me once... i got out by the skin of my teeth...today when i have to get under a car i put it on stands and i have a set of rims that are welded together i slide under...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Abone29
Alliance Member

In high school I had a buddy whose big brother had a 61 Corvette.He was under it ,in the yard,on some of those cheap drive on ramps.They sank in the dirt and rolled over trapping him underneath.Fortunely his buds were there and got the car off him pretty quickly.There was depression in the dirt where it pushed him down and that probably saved his life.He was damn lucky.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
meatball
Old School HAMBer

yeah I was lucky in highschool I had my 58 chevy up on those cheapass stands on a DIRT driveway and pulled the trans out,well in Oregon it kinda rains alot and I was on a dirt driveway,you can guess the rest the damn stand sunk into the ground with me stuck under the car,fire dept had to come get me out I was lucky......oh yeah the stand bent when it was pulled outta the mud.............I was lucky and learned a good leson early

Last edited by meatball; 12-05-2009 at 11:02 AM.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Thom Mead

This post made me realize that I loaned my jack stands years ago and never got them back. Obviously I haven't needed them or I would have missed them earlier. Are there any brands that someone could recommend? I'd appreciate knowing what to look for before I go shopping. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. (I tried searching but didn't find anything, maybe due to my short attention span.)
Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
Beep
Alliance Member

Me and historynw are the same. When I have my Ranchero on the stands, I do two other things. 1) I keep the hydraulic jack under it also, one the end I am working on 2) I put the spare tire under then other end it also just in case. Even then I get the creeps being under there, especially when I am alone

Makes my skin crawl to think of that guy being pinned under there...........

You haven't lived until you've almost died,
for those who have fought for it, life has a meaning the protected will never know
Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #19
Da Tinman
Alliance Member

Thats not a good idea either, taken at the Rust Revival this year..... DUMBASS!!

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #20
badlefihand
Grenade Inspector

Ramps need chocks before pulling drive shft.Wonder how he could have forgot.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

Knowing the danger of crawling under a car with just a jack holding it up I put it on jack stands also.. Safe as safe can be right.....Earthquake hit while I was under and car started to sway, got out FAST. It did not fall but sure caused me a little concern. I like the idea of putting a spare tire down so if it does not crush you if it falls. I worked in a gas station long ago and the owners always put a drive shaft between the rack and floor in case the rack malfunctioned.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #22
Mike Britton
Alliance Member

I know I'm going to get bit someday. I have a set of ramps that I've had since the '60's that are made from exhaust pipe split into threes with a band around the bottoms and another tube that telescopes inside.
I replaced them years ago with good cast stands but I kept them to put parts on for paint.
I know one of these days I'll screw up and use one for too much weight.

Last edited by Mike Britton; 12-05-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #23
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

My best friend got trapped under his dad's ot wagon a few years ago when he had a brain fart and crawled under it W/O proper blocks. He was ok but was stuck under the car several minutes until someone got there to jack it back up so he could get out. He damned well knows better.

I had my 55 Buick fall sideways off a pair of those split tube stands way back in 1966 in my dad's carport. I had been under it and got out to look for something and it fell. I almost knocked the carport down along with coming close to doing myself in.
About the same time one of my friends in trade school had his 58 Impala stolen and they found the kids who stole it under it dead after they had decided to take the four speed out after taking the wheels and tires off. the bumper jacks fell over.

I preached having a rig safe to get under before getting under it to my students in auto mechanics class for the 13 years I taught. If they learned only one thing from me I hope that is what it is.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
Mike Britton
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM View Post
Knowing the danger of crawling under a car with just a jack holding it up I put it on jack stands also.. Safe as safe can be right.....Earthquake hit while I was under and car started to sway, got out FAST. It did not fall but sure caused me a little concern. I like the idea of putting a spare tire down so if it does not crush you if it falls. I worked in a gas station long ago and the owners always put a drive shaft between the rack and floor in case the rack malfunctioned.
I use a motorcycle lift to pickup the front end of the greaslapper. It fits under the axle nicely, is padded, really stable, and has a pawl to lock it in place at various spots.
They just hppen to match one notch on my jack stands.
I have to admit sometimes tho, it gets in the way if I leave it under the car.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
milner142790
Alliance Member

wow.... i always use jackstands, but watchin that video made me open my eyes... that would suck... and the worse part is that you can see the dumbass turn the jack handle...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #26
Bigchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr48chev View Post
My best friend got trapped under his dad's ot wagon a few years ago when he had a brain fart and crawled under it W/O proper blocks. He was ok but was stuck under the car several minutes until someone got there to jack it back up so he could get out. He damned well knows better.

I had my 55 Buick fall sideways off a pair of those split tube stands way back in 1966 in my dad's carport. I had been under it and got out to look for something and it fell. I almost knocked the carport down along with coming close to doing myself in.
About the same time one of my friends in trade school had his 58 Impala stolen and they found the kids who stole it under it dead after they had decided to take the four speed out after taking the wheels and tires off. the bumper jacks fell over.

I preached having a rig safe to get under before getting under it to my students in auto mechanics class for the 13 years I taught. If they learned only one thing from me I hope that is what it is.
Theives killed when the car fell on them? That is some serious car karma there!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #27
shadetreerodder
Grenade Inspector

I use my old stamped style jack stands for mock ups. They are great for holding rear ends and front axles in place when setting up your chassis. Would not crawl under a car though.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #28
JamesMcD
Grenade Inspector

OK, so where do you buy "good" jack stands from?

I've never seen new jack stands for sale that weren't made of sheet metal. Mine are made of what looks to be about 10ga welded in a sort of pyramid shape. Is this not sufficient in you guy's opinion?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #29
citcapp
Grenade Inspector

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...112&zmap=38847

This is what I have and I always leave the floor jack positioned with just touching the frame just in case. I like the idea of the welded wheel stands and will make some for future work. Simple solution
Old 12-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #30
meatball
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcD View Post
OK, so where do you buy "good" jack stands from?

I've never seen new jack stands for sale that weren't made of sheet metal. Mine are made of what looks to be about 10ga welded in a sort of pyramid shape. Is this not sufficient in you guy's opinion?
LOOK at the ones that are CAST with lugs,I got one set from a snap on dealer and anoother from a used tool supply.You might try Northern tool,heres what the GOOD ones look like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1004.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	834151   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1001.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	495.6 KB
ID:	834152  
Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #31
shooter54
Old School HAMBer

i don't get how people could do that.
you couldn't pay me enough to risk that. so stupid.
Estranged_as_all_hell
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #32
greazhonkey

Had a friend crushed by a car and killed. He was using jack stands, but did not have everything stable. Car fell on him and killed him instantly.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #33
RichG
Old School HAMBer

I was at a friends shop b.s.'ing with him while he was working under a car. He's a professional mechanic, well equipped shop with a front end air lift, but he always puts a tire under the frame just in case. That day as I sat on the bench the jack broke and folded sideways, dropping the car. The tire gave him the room to scooch out of there the extra few inches, had it not been there the rocker panel would have nailed him right in the face! Yeah, jackstands are kinda important!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #34
flatheadhero
Grenade Inspector

Hmmmm.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mr_Safety.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	834167  
Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #35
cowboy1

So who makes a really good jackstand?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #36
The Mandrill
Grenade Inspector

Cast stands (Snap-On if you can swing em not the Blue Point Jap Crap) with the jack under it and I use wood blocks as back up since I am almost always working solo. I raced cars for 25+ years and alot of guys who have burn marks, gnarly scars, and funny twitches had always asked me why I spent so much on safety gear? We are an interseting species....
Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #37
MoparMan4GZUZ

My cousins husband jacked up his motorhome, slid underneath it and it and the jack failed, no stands. Didn't kill him right away, gave him just enough time to let his wife watch him struggle vainly to get out. Taught me a HUGE lesson. If the stands can't hold up a bus, they won't get the chance to hold up my car.

hamb chapel member
Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #38
Jitterbug

Even the best jack stands can tip over if they are not plumb, such as on a sloped driveway.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #39
c-10 simplex

This sucks; i didn't have the guts to click on the link.

1) As mentioned by others i ALWAYS lay tire/wheel assemblys down flat and slide them underneath the car if i have to get underneath a car for any reason. You should too. (those unused tires and wheels we all have in the garage finally have a use). i also use jackstands and wheel chocks, but i feel the wheels are a last failsafe guarantee.....

YOu might still get trapped, but at least you won't get flattened into paper. Always Keep a cellphone handy.

If you do not do this---what i mentioned in #1, then you should immediately:

----change your name
---- move to another planet.

2) i have those harbr freight jackstands? Are they ok? i'm thinking no?

3) What do you think about this product?
http://www.creepex.com/indexEN.html

4) one time i was working on a friend's car and i /we didn't use jackstands or chocks and it was on the driveway which was angled downwards and yes, it fell off the jack. Fortunately it was a situation where i/we needed to get the car raised so i could get to something but the wheels were still mounted. My friend got hyserical because i could have gotten hurt and started beating the quarter panel with a crowbar ( i didn't care all that much since it was a generic 80's mustang) (ford jack!).
i said don't worry, it's not that bad---all the wheels are still on, so the possibility of me getting hurt was minimal.

Now, that i think about it, i could have gotten seriously hurt---what if i was directly undeneath the differential or something?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #40
39 All Ford
Alliance Member

Wow, what a dumbass, any moron can see that the cinder block would be a LOT STRONGER turned the other way....

OK, that was fun..

There is no way, given the chance, I worry about walking under my 2 post lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Tinman View Post

Thats not a good idea either, taken at the Rust Revival this year..... DUMBASS!!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #41
49ratfink
Old School HAMBer

Harbor Freight has some good heavy duty jackstands. won't do you shit for good if you are not smart enough to use them.

I always give my car a good shake before I get under it. if it is going to fall, I'd rather be standing next to it than under it.

the guy in the shop next to mine has a small forklift. his helper was working on his acura and used it to lift the car OVER HIS HEAD and was working on it as if it were on a lift. nothing at all to keep it from falling. this is an older fork with probaly no maintenance for who knows how many years.

people just don't think.

Last edited by 49ratfink; 12-05-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #42
Caddy-O

Personally know someone this happened to. Truck fell 2" before it was held by the other jack stand. It was enough to snap his neck and kill him. It was a lifted 4 X 4 and he was sitting up underneath it. A life snuffed out because he got in a hurry.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #43
fleetside66

Back in '67, I worked a summer job as an orderly in E.R. of the Atlantic City, NJ hospital. One of the first dead guys I had to take to the basement morgue was a guy that tried to steal a trans & only had the car supported on a jack. Things didn't work out for him & he was just flat out crushed. I saw the aftermath & it was enough to make me remember every time I go under a car.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #44
fearnoevo
Grenade Inspector

One of those miracle strength stories. Way back when in high school, my cousins '65 Chevelle fell on him. His girlfriend lifted it enough for him to get out. She didn't weigh 100 pounds soaking wet. Trust me I know, I had her soaking wet a couple of times
Old 12-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #45
oilslinger53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ratfink View Post
Harbor Freight has some good heavy duty jackstands. won't do you shit for good if you are not smart enough to use them.

I always give my car a good shake before I get under it. if it is going to fall, I'd rather be standing next to it than under it.

the guy in the shop next to mine has a small forklift. his helper was working on his acura and used it to lift the car OVER HIS HEAD and was working on it as if it were on a lift. nothing at all to keep it from falling. this is an older fork with probaly no maintenance for who knows how many years.

people just don't think.
They must have never seen what happens when one of those valves fails, and the fork drops like a rock.

My grandpa had a cylinder block fail, and the car fell on his chest. He was a very large very strong man though, and was still able to yell for my grandma. No injurys, just scared shitless.

Had a friend who had a jack that would slowly go down. about an inch every five minutes. One day he was workin under his honda prelude with nothing but that faulty jack. he would slide out every few minutes and pump the jack. One day I pull up to his house and start up they driveway and he see's my feet. He goes to slide out and finds thet they car has sunk too low, and he's now trapped, he wasn't being crushed yet but was unable to get out. He instantly starts freaking out. screaming for help like a little girl. Good thing I pulled up when I did, he could have been SLOWLY crushed to death, I don't think his neighbors could have heard him.
unfortunately he still uses that jack, and still uses no stands. He don't learn to easy
Old 12-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #46
kaboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadhero View Post
Hmmmm.....
This was the pic i was going to post.

what a Dumb ass.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #47
smarg

Moral of the story don't by a jack "Made in Taiwan".

And be patient and grab a jack stand.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #48
DRUGASM

ive been lucky...on a road trip my new exhaust kept loosening off at the manifold and it was too hard to get from over the fender. On the side of the road in a dirt parking lot I dove under the car and had it jacked up in the front by the frame and a jackstand under the frame behind the tire on the driverside.

Well as I layed there I looked over just in time to see that narrow ass jack start to bury one of the wheels in the dirt and pull the other off the ground. The whole car was shifting to the passenger side and I barely had time to yell "oh FUUUU__" as the whole thing slammed down. My buddies saw it happening and luckily were able to grab my ankles and pull me out. As soon as I was out the jack stand started leaning too.

Never again....hard lesson learned. Pack more clean underwear. And have a good surface to jack off.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #49
sgtlethargic
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUGASM View Post

Never again....hard lesson learned. Pack more clean underwear. And have a good surface to jack off.
Ha ha!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #50
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

I don't care HOW many times safety has been brought up before. These "alerts" need to POP up every now and then. Why the f--- ? 'cause ALL of us get tired, sweaty, in a hurry. And we do something that could cost us an eye, our breathing, a hand, or our life. No drama intended, but I think I'd prefer to go down on the Titanic in freezing water than to have the life slowly crushed out of me -- and no help in earshot. Almost had it happen to me, and read & heard too many sad stories.

Even on the 'net, I've seen pix of guys with ALL FOUR corners of their car up on jack stands. Like even a young teen kid couldn't run into that hard enough to accidentally bring the whole car down?

As others have said here: Use a good, sturdy jack; good jack stands, PLUS back-ups, and by that I mean chock your tires, and at least put an inflated tire under the car or the butt off an old railroad tie. You might get "pinned," yet survive until help comes. You don't wanna hear all the stories I've heard from EMTs.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #51
55 dude
Old School HAMBer

i remember being trapped under my AD truck after some sheetmetal stands folded. i have some stands that are made of forklift wheels that are really a bitch to move but i can roll them if needed. they will hold anything i work on.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #52
lostforawhile
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner View Post
And while we're on "this" it probably bears mentioning these cheap--ass ramps which have probably gotten even worse over the years. Take a GOOD look if you use them.
i have pair of super heavy duty ramps made in the 70's, friend of mine gave them to me, you can't buy ramps like that anymore. i couldn't get the car high enough, so i put a 4x4 block of wood in the wheel depression on each ramp and set the car with one on each side, i could probably park a bus on those ramps. I wouldn't put anything on the chinese ones made today.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #53
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

What Jitterbug said on Post 39. Working underneath a car is the part I hate the most, but we all have to do it. TAKE THE EXTRA COUPLE OF MINUTES TO MAKE THE SET-UP IS SAFE. Even one needless death of a car-loving 'rodder isn't worth time or effort "sacrificed" for safety.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #54
DIRTY_WHITE_BOY
Alliance Member

AS I read this it brings back a memory, I was under an old Monte Carlo,a bulletproof teenager,2am in the morning. The car was on a bumper jack,got out to get a wrench. The car leaned over and smashed my light flat. I never get under a car without some solid wood blocks or something comparable. Looks like most stories were when we were younger,so if anybody has a young auto enthusiast in your family it may be a good time to discuss this. I did not realize I had this survival in common with so many people.I guess we were the lucky ones!! Gus
Old 12-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #55
lostforawhile
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetside66 View Post
Back in '67, I worked a summer job as an orderly in E.R. of the Atlantic City, NJ hospital. One of the first dead guys I had to take to the basement morgue was a guy that tried to steal a trans & only had the car supported on a jack. Things didn't work out for him & he was just flat out crushed. I saw the aftermath & it was enough to make me remember every time I go under a car.
came back to him didn't it? don't mean to sound harsh but i hate thieves, anyway, I see people putting cars on those cinder blocks all the time, ever hit one a little with a hammer? it shatters, want to put your life on that? they are very weak when used like that.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #56
100% Matt
Alliance Member

Here's a good one. I can tell you that death didn't come quick. He struggled for sometime trying to get the car off himself....

A Darwin Award Nominee....

Man crushed to death trying to stealing car part

By Matthew Engelhardt
Journal Inquirer
Published: Friday, May 1, 2009 10:08 AM EDT

EAST HARTFORD — A man crushed to death during an attempted theft at a Tolland Street auto shop was the same man arrested months ago when he fell asleep trying to saw a catalytic converter off a vehicle, police said today.

The man, Gary Gaudet, 51, of 94 Columbus St., East Hartford, was killed late Wednesday or early Thursday when a minivan fell on him during an attempted theft at Asian Motors LLC, 268 Tolland St., according to police,

Gaudet had the van propped up and was attempting to saw off the catalytic converter when the vehicle slipped off the jack and crushed his face and chest, police said.

The shop’s owner discovered the body on Thursday morning when he saw Gaudet’s legs sticking out from underneath the minivan, they said.

The East Hartford Fire Department arrived on the scene shortly after 9:30 a.m. and extricated Gaudet from under the vehicle, according to police. EHFD Paramedics pronounced Gaudet dead on the scene and his body was taken to the office of the state’s chief medical examiner in Farmington for an autopsy, police said.

For Gaudet, the attempted theft of the catalytic converter wasn’t his first try. He was arrested in October after he fell asleep while trying to pull off a similar crime at another Tolland Street auto lot, according to police.

Gaudet admitted to police that he hopped the fence at A&M Towing and Recovery at 430 Tolland St. in the early hours of Oct. 24. With a hacksaw, Gaudet set to work trying to remove a catalytic converter from a vehicle when he grew tired and fell asleep underneath the car, police said.

Later that morning, an employee arrived at the shop and noticed Gaudet’s legs sticking out, according to police. At first, the employee was concerned that Gaudet might have been trapped and was unresponsive, they said.

But after being approached by an officer, Gaudet pulled himself out from under the car and admitted he had been trying to steal the part to sell it to a scrap yard, police said.

Gaudet was arrested without incident and police said at the time that he didn’t appear under the influence of alcohol or drugs, but had simply fallen asleep during the attempted theft.

Hot Rod Fall Out IX
Oct 11' 2014
South Glastonbury, CT
www.hotrodfallout.com
Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #57
cadillac nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadhero View Post
Hmmmm.....
i heard this guy WAS a good welder ...haha... dumbass !
Old 12-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #58
reverb2000

Use jack stands, then a secondary safety, cinder block, old tire, anything in case the worst happens, you would have a few extra seconds to move.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #59
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Tinman View Post

True, but looking at the car, what do you expect?

I'm guilty of having ill-supported cars fall off of jacks, enough times I won't even crawl under one if it's jacked up on a dirt surface, anymore. Has to be level and on a hard surface and generally I put a jackstand under and leave the jack under it, and block a wheel on the opposite side. Even then I get out and push the thing and see what it's going to do before I go under.

Hell, even the jackstands Harbor Fright sells are better than those damn tin things, I have a pair I picked up because a guy threw them away... looked them over and I've never used them.

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #60
Rattlepopbang

I only use stands if Im not gonna be under the car like changing tires,doin brakes or something.If im gonna be under it I use steel ramps and block the rear tires.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #61
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

You'll see on some of the multiple video posts where people are saying it was staged (as in the "JackAss" movies). Well, shop camera, it seems. And why in the hell would anybody go to the trouble of faking this? This is not Johnny Knoxville having osme fun hurting himself for $$$. It's a real safety issue.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #62
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

For guys who wanna use "cinder" blocks, use an inflated tire instead. (I do use concrete blocks to keep cars up from ground dampness, not to crawl under.) Notice, I say CONCRETE blocks, NOT CINDER BLOCKS! You can tell the diff easily. You can't carry but 2 CONCRETE blocks at a time; they are HEAVY. Cinder blocks are light, 'cause they're are made with fly ash. And they are porous & weak.

Now, even if using CONCRETE blocks, don't for Chris' sakes do what the guy with the ratrod is doing! He's got the blocks lying on their SIDE! That is where they are WEAK. They are darn stong IF stood UPright!!!

Once again, LEVEL SURFACE! And, take extra time for as many BACK-UPs as you have materials & room to do! (Jack stands, inflated tires, arm-length pieces of railroad ties or equivalent, etc.) The skull or chest you save may be your own!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #63
customizer2024
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW LID DUDE View Post
Those cheep junk jackstands made out of stamped steel that they have been selling for years should be outlawed.I have seen too many people working on cars with them.It amazes me how someone could think they are safe with them. If you have them throw them in the scrap pile. Saving $ could cost a life,always buy good quality heavy duty jacks and stands.

An engineer some where designed them , so that means there safe. Pedal cars may be....
Old 12-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #64
cadillac nut

the cheapies will make a good base for homemade trophys !
Old 12-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #65
slammed
Old School HAMBer

Stand's, spare tire, railroad tie (yep) ect. Oh, if ya bench: use a spotter.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #66
LOW LID DUDE

[QUOTE=Thom Mead;4634717]This post made me realize that I loaned my jack stands years ago and never got them back. Obviously I haven't needed them or I would have missed them earlier. Are there any brands that someone could recommend? I'd appreciate knowing what to look for before I go shopping. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. (I tried searching but didn't find anything, maybe due to --- Thom jack stands that are sold at the discount stores like Harbor freight I would avoid. Take a good look at the quality and design before buying. Heavy duty steel and good welds is what you want.I like Snap on ,Mac tools or any of the other main USA made suppliers that make quality tools.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #67
mctim64
Alliance Member

I always use them, even if I'm only going under for a second!

"it looks just like a Tellafunkin U-47"

http://yblockguy.com/
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #68
1oldtimer
Old School HAMBer

can someone post a pic of GOOD jack stands. i've heard of casting flash not letting the lever lock in on the teeth type. i use some pinned stands (rated at 6 ton) but they're still stamped sheet metal. here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	834401  
#1 Post killer
Old 12-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #69
junkjunky
Grenade Inspector

Always have something thicker than yourself under that car, and certainly no cinder blocks. Personaly I'm alot thicker than a cinder block but they will crumble without warning.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #70
poboyross

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball View Post
LOOK at the ones that are CAST with lugs,I got one set from a snap on dealer and anoother from a used tool supply.You might try Northern tool,heres what the GOOD ones look like

I avoid those like the plague for a couple of reasons, the first being the sharp edges on the feet. If you're using it on solid concrete, you're fine. However, you better not use those on anything else...blacktop, gravel, and a hell no for dirt. The second reason is the fact that you crank those up, I've always been paranoid that it will fail, ratcheting down and slamming on top of me. I get the ones that have the flat feet on the bottom, 3 ton limit, and the pinned U bolt. Here's what I use:

Not my pic, and I know that the arm isn't solid, but the safest ones in my mind at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilslinger53 View Post
They must have never seen what happens when one of those valves fails, and the fork drops like a rock.

My grandpa had a cylinder block fail, and the car fell on his chest. He was a very large very strong man though, and was still able to yell for my grandma. No injurys, just scared shitless.

Had a friend who had a jack that would slowly go down. about an inch every five minutes. One day he was workin under his honda prelude with nothing but that faulty jack. he would slide out every few minutes and pump the jack. One day I pull up to his house and start up they driveway and he see's my feet. He goes to slide out and finds thet they car has sunk too low, and he's now trapped, he wasn't being crushed yet but was unable to get out. He instantly starts freaking out. screaming for help like a little girl. Good thing I pulled up when I did, he could have been SLOWLY crushed to death, I don't think his neighbors could have heard him.
unfortunately he still uses that jack, and still uses no stands. He don't learn to easy
That mirrors my concern about the ratcheting jackstands. I also had a brand new 2 ton jack burst a seal and come crashing down while my car was up. There was no motor or rear end in the damn thing. I called up the manufacturer and asked them to fix it (about a month and a half after I bought it, as AutoKillZone wouldn't take it after 30 days) and they said I couldn't get it fixed w/out the original receipt....they wouldn't accept my detailed debit card statement. Jackholes.....I'll never buy another Torin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi'shemi291 View Post
I don't care HOW many times safety has been brought up before. These "alerts" need to POP up every now and then. Why the f--- ? 'cause ALL of us get tired, sweaty, in a hurry. And we do something that could cost us an eye, our breathing, a hand, or our life. No drama intended, but I think I'd prefer to go down on the Titanic in freezing water than to have the life slowly crushed out of me -- and no help in earshot. Almost had it happen to me, and read & heard too many sad stories.

Even on the 'net, I've seen pix of guys with ALL FOUR corners of their car up on jack stands. Like even a young teen kid couldn't run into that hard enough to accidentally bring the whole car down?

As others have said here: Use a good, sturdy jack; good jack stands, PLUS back-ups, and by that I mean chock your tires, and at least put an inflated tire under the car or the butt off an old railroad tie. You might get "pinned," yet survive until help comes. You don't wanna hear all the stories I've heard from EMTs.

Like this?

Yeah, that was me. What you don't see is that right after I got it up there, I threw some rims under the front suspension.....and I already had the 6 ton floor jack hovering under the rear. I know that those high density blocks most likely wouldn't mean shit, but after having four 3 ton jackstands, rims, jack, and hd concrete blocks, I figured it would be buy me a *little* more safety. Maybe not. I need some damn 12x12 wood blocks.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #71
Wildcat Garage

This is a set of stands that we made to set up oval track car.I use them all the time and they are safe.

As a kid, i saw a 55 Buick fall on a mechanic and kill him.He was using a truck jack.That has been a lasting memory for me. Always think ahead and be safe!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #72
Wildcat Garage

Lost the photo..!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exhaust 004.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	834521  
Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #73
39 All Ford
Alliance Member

Quote:
For guys who wanna use "cinder" blocks, use an inflated tire instead. (I do use concrete blocks to keep cars up from ground dampness, not to crawl under.) Notice, I say CONCRETE blocks, NOT CINDER BLOCKS! You can tell the diff easily. You can't carry but 2 CONCRETE blocks at a time; they are HEAVY. Cinder blocks are light, 'cause they're are made with fly ash. And they are porous & weak.

Now, even if using CONCRETE blocks, don't for Chris' sakes do what the guy with the ratrod is doing! He's got the blocks lying on their SIDE! That is where they are WEAK. They are darn stong IF stood UPright!!!

Once again, LEVEL SURFACE! And, take extra time for as many BACK-UPs as you have materials & room to do! (Jack stands, inflated tires, arm-length pieces of railroad ties or equivalent, etc.) The skull or chest you save may be your own!

Fuck that, cement blocks or cinder blocks, I don't give a shit. If you want to work under a car, support it well and use double redundancy.

Back to the point, an unreinforced concrete block is ALMOST as dumb (within 10% as dumb) to trust your life to as a cinder block.

I don't really want to be a huge dick about this but the circumstances in this case dictate that I am.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #74
DocWatson
Old School HAMBer

I am guilty of getting under a vehicle once with just a jack. Circumstance dictated it, there was no other choice.
We were in a 4WD ambulance supporting firefighters during a major bush fire(Wildfire) we had to bug out in a hurry to save our asses. Going up a steep goat track we got a flat, it was so steep the ambo couldn't get up there with the flat so I rolled it back down to a level(ish) switchback.
Got the jack out, some prick has swapped out the stout 4WD jack for a normal car bottle jack. It was so short I had to get under the ambo and put the jack under the rear diff. Placed the jack and started to jack. My partner started to undo the wheel nuts, he had them all un-done but the wheel was still on there when the ambo slipped off the jack. I was laying on my side and I swear my shoulders touched when it came down!
Luckily the wheel jammed in the wheel well and held it up enough to get out.
The problem was I had to get under and do it again, with the massive bushfire bearing down on us it was do or die.
I used the jack handle to scrape some of the road surface to make it a little more even, fuck that ground was hard. This time we got it done (I jacked it, got out then we pulled the wheel and put the spare on)
Scary as shit with the roar of the fire, black smoke and glow of the flames. Lucky to make it out alive for sure!
Doc.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #75
JimSwann
Alliance Member

I watched a dude in "flip-flops" and shorts remove an engine from an OT car. He raised the front of the car 5ft off the ground using a wrecker boom and 1 small hook attached to the bumper. He spent an hour under that death trap taking crap loose. It didn't fall but, shit, that is insane.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #76
NeverEnuf
FNG

I was working on a truck on an overhead 2 post lift. It was weight biased to the front. The rack legs were locked in the proper fashion, the weight bent the locks letting the front fall between the rails and landing on me. Lesson learned use a stand even with lifts. Damage result... broken bones in my back, pain in all parts of my body, especially in weather like we are having now.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #77
DocWatson
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuf View Post
I was working on a truck on an overhead 2 post lift. It was weight biased to the front. The rack legs were locked in the proper fashion, the weight bent the locks letting the front fall between the rails and landing on me. Lesson learned use a stand even with lifts. Damage result... broken bones in my back, pain in all parts of my body, especially in weather like we are having now.
Holey shit man, you are one lucky guy to survive that! I have always been a little hesitant about getting under a car on a lift, dunno why it just creeps me out (Probably thinking of what happened to you).
Doc.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #78
DocWatson
Old School HAMBer

I think this is worthy of staying at the top, a warning for all.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #79
Stevie Nash
Alliance Member

Go another step further and ALWAYS were eye protection when in the shop AND ear protection especially around air tools. You'll lose your hearing fast!

Outsiders C.C.

Wanted: 1937 Nash Coupe
Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #80
olds215
FNG

I'm 64, and have been using a set of those cheapass tubing jackstands for 40 years. After reading this thread, I guess I've just been lucky. Never again though. I'm too cheap to toss 'em (still good for some purposes like holding a big part) but I did just now go out to the garage and I tag them all "DO NOT USE UNDER A CAR" as a reminder to me and a warning to others who might use them.
Bunch of you guys mighta just saved my sorry ass. Thanks. And my bride thanks you too.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #81
poboyross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Breaker View Post
Go another step further and ALWAYS were eye protection when in the shop AND ear protection especially around air tools. You'll lose your hearing fast!

That explains the 15 minutes of ringing in my ears after using my air powered grinder!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #82
GlenC

They say a picture's worth 1000 words....

And no, that's NOT me!

Cheers, Glen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic_424449001187711620.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	834771  

Last edited by GlenC; 12-05-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #83
Hip

I had the same thing happen to me!!!
Working under my Karmann Ghia with yes, "the cheapy jackstands", a small quake hit, and the VW rocked, and i rolled Quick!!! It was a roller so i think thats what saved me from getting squashed instead of one of those quick jolt ones. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM View Post
Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #84
Hip

I'v got another situation to think about. You know when you absolutly have to be under the rear-end of the car as in installing a 4-link or airbags cups, mostly sitting directly under the rear trunk floor, always has given me the creeps, even when i use 12" cement blocks with railroad ties, i'm still sitting or kneeling directly under imovable sheet metal. My buddy, as great a car builder as he is, has no common sense. He'll do this with the extra tall harbor Freight stands, and i cant watch, i gotta leave.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #85
daddio211
Alliance Member

49ratfink touched on something that nobody else mentioned. After lifting the car up and placing it on jackstands give it a good "SHAKE TEST"!

We apply a lot of pressure while working on cars, so please make damned sure its solid BEFORE you get under it. It literally only takes a second.

Someone else mentioned keeping the jack nearby. Also keep it accesable, and make sure your family knows how to use it! You know, like turning the handle clockwise before trying to pump it up???
Old 12-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #86
Insane 1

I've always shook a car before I get under.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #87
oldskooloutlaw
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38fordpickup View Post
I have one of those cheap stamped sheet metal jack stands in my garage. The welded seam on it split under load. Fortunately I wasn't under the truck when it did. I keep it around just to show people how dangerous those things are and why they should throw theirs away.
I agree those cheap stamped stands that have tack welds are dangerous buy if you weld the connectors they are considerably safer, same deal with the stamped drive on ramps, buy better stands if you can but like the rest says don't trust just a jack with your life.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #88
Jasper6120
Grenade Inspector

I remember in my early days, I was changing a tie rod end on my old valiant. I jacket the car up and had the wheel unbolted. I used one of those pro scissor jacks and nothing else. While standing beside the car I heard it creak and groan, then watched as the car shifted sideways and came crashing down, bending the scissor jack in half. Its always a risk going under a car, sure you might not want to walk over and find your trolley jack and jack stands, but this is not something you should ever get lazy with.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #89
gemcityrenegade
Grenade Inspector

I don't think I ever got under a car in my whole life with out stands and the wheels under the frame. I also pump the jack up as a back up to just barley touching the frame on side I'm working on. I really hate to loose and I'm not a betting man so...
Old 12-06-2009, 04:41 AM   #90
budd
Old School HAMBer

i have had this type of stand fold up on me, it was outside on the dirt, not perfectly level, one corned sunk into the ground just a little and the base just folded over, i wasent under it and if i was going under i would of had the stands on some 2x6 boards all nice and level, i always leave the jack under just for something extra, they are the 6ton stands, i'm going to weld some plates up inside about 1/2" from the bottom so they can't fold, mostly if i have to go under a car i use ramps, i have welded side bars on my ramps just to make them a little stronger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	38847.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	834828  
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #91
skwurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
They say a picture's worth 1000 words....

And no, that's NOT me!

Cheers, Glen.
At least he chocked the wheel
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #92
furyus

Northern Virginia, December 5, 2009. RIP.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1831590

furyus
Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #93
HOT40ROD

Coming form the fire service and being a rescue instructor. I now use wood cribbing along with the jack stands. I have a bunch of 6X6, 4X4 and 2x4 cut to 20 inch lengths. I build a box crib with set 2 one way and setting the next set the other way until i get the heights I want. Then I set the car down on them and put jack stands next to them as a back up. When building the crib you can go as high as the lengths of the wood. I also make sure I shake the car to make sure it does not move.

You would be suprised how much a car will move when you are trying to put the center section in the rear housing.

Years ago we were get a 67 comet ready for the races. I had the rear apart with only the housing under the car. The car had two jack stands holding it up. I just got out from under the car and went to the tool box when I heard a crach. Turned around and the back of the car was on the ground the the gas tank was punctured and gas was running out on the floor. I look back on that and think if the car landing on top of me would not have killed me I could have burn to death. I was the only one in the garage at that time.

That day was the last day I used just jack stands alone.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #94
64Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW LID DUDE View Post
Jack stands,what jack stands.We don't need no stinkin jack stands.Being stupid can get ya killed! Never go under a car without them.A jack alone is not a guarantee your safe. You will see why if you google(Mechanic gets crushed by car,) OH YEA keep stupid friends away when working on cars.
Safety is very important...but that video is clearly a fake.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #95
Ramblur

My dad never did much in the way of helping me build my high school hot rod
but ALWAYS harped on the jackstand issue. Threats,horror stories,etc...good
to know he cared. My worst experience was while still in school outside the
local speed shop I had my 57 Chevy jacked WAY up and jackstands under
the frame near the front leaf spring eye. I'd broken the spring perches on the
axle and a buddy and I were surveying the damage on our backs when the
old man across the street started backing his Gremlin out of his driveway
and hit my rear bumper. I still remember watching the whole time,sure that
he was going to stop. Neither of us moved till he made contact and then
we were out from under in an instant. It never did fall off but I'm not sure how
as it swayed back and forth a bunch. Thought we were being safe but
sometimes shit happens.

Here's the offending Gremlin...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #96
4ever18
Grenade Inspector

I faced this issue about 15 years ago. A friend was using the typical stamped steel tri-pod jackstands under his pickup truck (he was replacing the rusted steel brake fluid lines, on the rearend housing). He climbed out from under the truck to get a different tool and while walking away from the truck, he heard a crash. One of the spot welds that held one of the "tie straps" (this is the piece of metal that ties the legs together) came loose and the stand collasped... A few seconds earlier and Bill would have been killed (he'd been lying under the rearend housing). That day, I welded the seams of my stamped steel jackstands and began work on making my own stronger stands. I don't trust the cheap, imported cast iron pieces, either. I know that the ones that I made are "over kill", but don't even consider them as being possible to fail. An engineer friend tells me that the grade 8 (1/2" diameter) pin is the weakest point of my stands. I prefer the tripod design, because they always fit an uneven surface (even concrete floors don't have a perfectly flat surface). A four legged stand will "rock" if the surface supporting it isn't "dead-on" flat. This is why photographers use a "tripod" to support their cameras. I've included photos of my welded, stamped steel stand and my homemade stand. The homemade stands are heavy (25 lbs each) and are time consuming to make (I built a jig so that they would all be the same size - base and heigth), but I use them without worrying. Besides making something safer for me to use, who ever gets them when I'm gone is also going to be more safe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0789.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	834906   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0790.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	834907   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0791.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	834908  

Name:	100_0794.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	498.5 KB
ID:	834909   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0795.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	834910   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0797.jpg
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	834911  

Name:	100_0798.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	834912  

Growing older is inevitable... Growing up is optional!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #97
oldguard
Alliance Member

And to think what your life is worth.............The jack stands and rubber chocks are a great gift for that fellow rodder who is up and coming in the hobby, show your love and give freely and educate the uninformed, please, tis the season.

Waterloo Auto Parts Inc
Edmond OK

Street Kings Motor Club
founding member, established 1976

http://www.streetkingsokla.com/HISTORY_1.html
Old 12-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #98
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

Quote 39AllFord: "Fuck that, cement blocks or cinder blocks, I don't give a shit. If you want to work under a car, support it well and use double redundancy."

AllFord, please re-read my post. I said I DO NOT USE concrete blocks in order to EVER get UNDER a car. I have SEEN them break under the weight of a car. So I'm with YOU and everyone else here about the right things to use. And what I called "back-ups" you call "double redundancy." It's all GOOD, because you obviously want the same thing I want: SAFETY for everybody who works on their own cars. SAFETY IS COOL. The best way to avoid an accident (and death) is to take the extra time to do it right.

I'd rather be a live car nut and a dead macho, ya know?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #99
AlbuqF-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Britton View Post
I use a motorcycle lift to pickup the front end of the greaslapper. It fits under the axle nicely, is padded, really stable, and has a pawl to lock it in place at various spots.
They just hppen to match one notch on my jack stands.
I have to admit sometimes tho, it gets in the way if I leave it under the car.
I have one of those, too, and I would not use it for anything bigger than a Harley. There are a lot of linkage pins in them, allows side-to-side sway. The lifting surface (2 rails) are not heavy steel, maybe 12 ga at best. The hydraulics on them are wonderful, but the latching mechanism is only meant to prevent it leaking down slowly, it couldn't possibly hold against 1,000# load -- look at the pins.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #100
c-10 simplex

This brings one of those "business light bulb" ideas i often get:

Is there a source where railroad ties are purchasable by the general public? i mean, i know where i can get a boatload of them, but that would most probably be stealing.

Someone should come up with a simple yet compact device to put underneath a car to prevent it from coming completely down, but make it attractive in someway so that people will buy it.

What i would suggest (i'm not going to do it because i don't have time, money and/or most importantly, the guts) Is to have a product as solid and about the same size as a railroad tie, BUT, make it look like either the front(or rear) facia of a car--do a fiberglass copy or something---i will post an example---some company sells these as bookshelves or something.

So, now you got something that is attractive enough to buy (i mean no-one is going to buy a plain railroad tie are they?).
IN ADDITION, CHECK THIS OUT the lights on this "fake" front end work, so now you got lights so you can see when you're working underneath your car!

http://www.uberreview.com/2007/07/cl...ll-shelves.htm

they also sell them at summit:
http://www.genuinehotrod.com/Product...D=30&PLID=1236

If you decide to do this, then i want 10% commission off the gross sales for the first 2 years (i'm generous). SERIOUSLY, I'M NOT PLAYING. i gave you the idea, you should at least be cool enough to give me my commission.

i really think this is a winner idea.

Last edited by c-10 simplex; 12-06-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #101
39 All Ford
Alliance Member

Quote:
Quote 39AllFord: "Fuck that, cement blocks or cinder blocks, I don't give a shit. If you want to work under a car, support it well and use double redundancy."

AllFord, please re-read my post. I said I DO NOT USE concrete blocks in order to EVER get UNDER a car. I have SEEN them break under the weight of a car. So I'm with YOU and everyone else here about the right things to use. And what I called "back-ups" you call "double redundancy." It's all GOOD, because you obviously want the same thing I want: SAFETY for everybody who works on their own cars. SAFETY IS COOL. The best way to avoid an accident (and death) is to take the extra time to do it right.

I'd rather be a live car nut and a dead macho, ya know?

After looking back, I was a little heavy handed. I have to keep reminding myself that it dosen't take anyone special to be an asshole.... Sorry!

Last edited by 39 All Ford; 12-06-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #102
oilslinger53

Remember, when under a car, on your back, working with tools over your face, keep your lips tightly sealed. Rather have a split lip than a chipped tooth... assuming you have teeth Also undercoating tastes like shit...
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #103
c-10 simplex

i disagree, you need to be an a-hole about safety; You can never be too much of an a-hole about safety.

But more importantly, let's consider my business idea(s).
Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #104
c-10 simplex

P.S. here's an even better idea---put a t.v. screen in the "railroad tie!" You know, where the licence plate should be.

i come up with a lot of ideas, and one of these is going to break big time.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #105
1oldtimer
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane 1 View Post
I've always shook a car before I get under.
i shake the crap out of it, i even do it on the lifts at work.

how about these stands 10-22 ton style

also it's hard to find one's made in the usa, Hein-Werner, us jack and SOME of otc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	32225.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	835082   Click image for larger version

Name:	OTC1783.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	835109  
Attached Images

#1 Post killer

Last edited by 1oldtimer; 12-06-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #106
frank spittle

Bumper jacks were the most dangerous and they were in the trunk of every new car until manufacturers were forced to start using low speed crash devices called bumpers that you can not use to raise a tire off the ground. One time I had a flat in my '52 Chevy and was changing the spare. I had the rear jacked and was sitting on thr ground with my legs under the wheelwell to raise the spare to the axle. As I was pushing the spare on the axle the jack started tilting away from me and as I am sitting there with the spare in my hand it fell to the ground. My feet were still under the wheelwell but I had place one foot on each side of the axle and my feet were in the opening. Luckily no harm done. Bad thing is I had to jack the car up and do it again but this time standing up.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #107
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

39AllFord, man, you are NOT an asshole. I knew you were/ARE just fired up about the safety thing, as I am (this is my 6th post on this safety thread alone). A lot of guys either don't want to take time, or they think talking (or DOING) safe things is for sissies. It take a MAN to let others know, usually, that a certain topic isn't wimpy but COOL.

Gotta keep harping just a bit, too.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #108
Rich1028
Grenade Inspector

I have been quilty of doing oil changes in my cars with nothing more than a floor jack.
but that was when I was younger,and had nothing to live for!
now that I made it to get old (45) I plan on being around for awhile more,so now a days I always use jackstands.
I had those old style ones that all have talked about,the tube type,and yes I too have had them collapse.
I had a friend about 20 years ago make me up 4 jackstands.
you can not see them that well in the pic but there square tubing that slides inside of the other one,with a c-channel on top.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #109
Kustom Komet

I'll never forget it.

Back in high school, a guy I knew through a mutual friend was working on his mid '70s Camaro in his mothers' driveway using just a floor jack. The jack blew a seal and sank, and he tried to get out from under but didn't have time. His head was crushed sideways by a front lower control arm to about half width, and he was still conscious - and screaming. A few neighbors came over with another jack and got him out, but the accident had caused horrendous brain damage and as he was being loaded into the ambulance, he was still screaming at the top of his lungs and wouldn't stop.

Same thing at the hospital, they had to sedate him to keep him still and perform surgery, but there was too much brain damage and he died about two days later. Since then, I won't even stick a toe under a car without really good jack stands, and testing the sturdiness by trying to rock the car sideways and ensuring that it's evenly loaded on all four stands.

Keep safe.

-KK
Old 12-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #110
Oilcan Harry

I'd had my license about a year and read in the paper about a guy that raced at the jalopy track near my home. He was getting ready for the Friday night event and had his car on cider blocks. Yep, it fell and killed him. I went out the next day and bought jack stands. I know now, 40 years later, that the ones I got are NOT safe, but they were safer than nothing at all and all I knew to get as a dumb teenager. I have better ones now but I still have the old crappy ones. I think I'll do as suggested above and mark them so they don't ever wind up under a vehicle.

"..back from victory over the Cretins at Sparta......make that the Spartans at Crete!"
Old 12-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #111
48bill
Grenade Inspector

I don't have a photo but I use steel wheels.

Eight wheels paired and then welded together provides you with four stands that can be placed under each tire and get the vehicle a foot or more off the ground depending on the width of the wheels. I've used them for years and they pass the shake test handily. They definately won't fail like a cement block will if misshandled. The vehicle won't roll off of them either due to the concave nature of the wheel.
26 Ford Modified Roadster (on the road fall 201? ???)
Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #112
CruiseOrDie

Sorry, I've NEVER gotten under a car without a jackstand. I'm young, but dammit I know better.

I had a good friend who has a nice scar on the back of his melon to remind him why you use jackstands. Lucky for him it was a lifted truck, or it would have killed him.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #113
64Cyclone

Maybe it's already been said...but NEVER trust blocks or anything other than stands. I had a Crown Vic on blocks once and it fell to the ground right in front on my eyes. Lesson learned!!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #114
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1028 View Post
I have been quilty of doing oil changes in my cars with nothing more than a floor jack.
but that was when I was younger,and had nothing to live for!
now that I made it to get old (45) I plan on being around for awhile more,so now a days I always use jackstands.
I had those old style ones that all have talked about,the tube type,and yes I too have had them collapse.
I had a friend about 20 years ago make me up 4 jackstands.
you can not see them that well in the pic but there square tubing that slides inside of the other one,with a c-channel on top.

Those stands could do with some 3/8" plate supporting braces say 4" high x 4" wide cut diagonally and welded to the uprights and bases, four pieces on each stand. Also the pins look a little light.
I have a similar set up with 5/8" pins. I also punched a 1" hole in each of the braces so I can push the stands in and pull them out with a steel rod with a hook on one end. The rod saves my aching back from doing more work than it needs to.
Also on the safety equipment note, ears and eyes. Remember, if you are lying on your side or with your head to one side your ear makes a funnel, anything that falls and touches your ear can fall right inside. I once had a shit job that had me overhead welding for a week, found out the hard way about hot slag and inner ears.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #115
48ford
Grenade Inspector

One of the few times I realy went off on my son is when I walked in on him and he had his car up on cinder blocks,WOW.
A simple demonstration with a hamer hitting a block drove the point home.
Use stands or Wood blocks bridged together.
I lost s broth in law to a jack
later russ
Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #116
Rich1028
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
Those stands could do with some 3/8" plate supporting braces say 4" high x 4" wide cut diagonally and welded to the uprights and bases, four pieces on each stand. Also the pins look a little light.
I have a similar set up with 5/8" pins. I also punched a 1" hole in each of the braces so I can push the stands in and pull them out with a steel rod with a hook on one end. The rod saves my aching back from doing more work than it needs to.
Also on the safety equipment note, ears and eyes. Remember, if you are lying on your side or with your head to one side your ear makes a funnel, anything that falls and touches your ear can fall right inside. I once had a shit job that had me overhead welding for a week, found out the hard way about hot slag and inner ears.
good point,I'll look into doing just that.
thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #117
Shawn M

This happened to my wife's uncle a few years back. It was a tough deal for all of us. Do not take any chances, you never know when your luck will run out. Safety should always be top priority, we make light of it at times but it is serious stuff.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #118
Bruce Lancaster
Alliance Member

In the real world...
You might very well have bad workplace...sloping, dirt, gravel, mud, etc.
You might not be able to afford a set of stands that cost more than your engine...never mind what you value your life, I mean actual money you have and can spend.

I think your best bet is WOOD, Solid wood. Unless you use rotten junk, not significantly compressible or crushable, cheap and light enough that you can make a structure that is very wide in all directions in relation to height so that it cannot tip.

If you can find huge solid chunks...I have some that are like 12X12X24 found by the road...perfect. If you cannot find such massive goodies, and I have no idea where to buy such, build a solid structure of landscape timbers that is wider in all directions than high, and WAY wider if you work on a poor surface.
Make an extra at very least 12X12X24 as your safety.
Use the biggies as jackstands, and spend a little time THINKING about how you place them.
Keep the extra chunk, big enough not to tip or press into the dirt, pulled near you where you are working and under a frame rail or such, not under floor pan or muffler. This is your backup...if everything else fails, you hve something thicker that you to stop the falling/rolling vehicle. Most tires and wheels are a bit too narrow.
Cement blocks are strong...but can be split. What if car is actually resting against the cement by a single bolt head or the knife-edge of a frame/rocker seam? Almost a chisel, driven by full weight of the car. Wood will just absorb any such stress in 1/8 of an inch.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #119
LOW LID DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Cyclone View Post
Safety is very important...but that video is clearly a fake.
I hope you are right 64 Cyclone,I hate to see anyone get hurt,but stupid accidents like this (do happen daily).It sure makes ya think twice about the situation.In my 36 years working in bodyshops I have seen a bunch of stupid shit like this happen,nobody killed yet but too close for comfort.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #120
lostforawhile
Old School HAMBer

I assume those big 4x4 chunks of pressure treated solid wood are safe? i have those heavy duty ramps, but since the car isn't under it's own power, i don't have any way to drive up them, i cut a 4x4 piece to fit in each dished area on the ramps and set the factory jack locations on the blocks in the ramps. it's been sitting on them for a while, but now i'm worried. I don't have a big enough jack to raise the car up enough to set the wheels in the ramp dished areas. thrse are some serious ramps a friend of mine told me i could permanently "borrow"
Old 12-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #121
neonloverrob

What about those janky-ass scissor jacks that is in the trunk of every car? Give me a break! Stupid skinny ass death traps!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #122
neonloverrob

Oh yeah... Theres a tire shop in Wichita I drive by all the time. They have 9 floor jacks out front, 3 groups of 3. Theres usually one or two cars out there, no tires with one jack centered in rear and one under each A arm on front. As high as the jacks go! Stupid asses!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #123
lostforawhile
Old School HAMBer

I'm glad this thread is going, every once in a while we have to be reminded not to be stupid. It's not tough or macho to sit under a bumper jack or a cheap jackstand or jack, it's stupid, trying to look like a tough guy with this stuff will get you nothing but dead. it's simple, the car weighs thousands of pounds, you don't,if the car falls on you, you are dead. that simple. so are the shortcuts worth it? what if you have kids ,do you want your kid to find you crushed to death because you were being a tough guy? the car will ALWAYS win
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #124
LOW LID DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustom Komet View Post
I'll never forget it.

Back in high school, a guy I knew through a mutual friend was working on his mid '70s Camaro in his mothers' driveway using just a floor jack. The jack blew a seal and sank, and he tried to get out from under but didn't have time. His head was crushed sideways by a front lower control arm to about half width, and he was still conscious - and screaming. A few neighbors came over with another jack and got him out, but the accident had caused horrendous brain damage and as he was being loaded into the ambulance, he was still screaming at the top of his lungs and wouldn't stop.

Same thing at the hospital, they had to sedate him to keep him still and perform surgery, but there was too much brain damage and he died about two days later. Since then, I won't even stick a toe under a car without really good jack stands, and testing the sturdiness by trying to rock the car sideways and ensuring that it's evenly loaded on all four stands.

Keep safe.

-KK
OH my god how horrable,that poor kid.I can't imagine what he went through, all could of been avoided with just a few blocks of wood or good jack stands.How sad!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #125
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

This might actually be FUNNY . . . IF it weren't so STUPID!!! (Sure isn't what
I meant when I said use sold stuff like wheel rims & inflated tires to block up
the car!)

Old 12-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #126
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

SOLID stuff, not SOLD stuff. Sheesh!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #127
spununit
Grenade Inspector

A few years ago I was pulling the rear end out of my 52 Hudson. The u bolts had been on there since 52, it was early on a Saturday morning and I did not want to wake everyone with the noise from the grinder cutting the u bolts. Each time I cracked the nuts on the u bolts I rocked the car on the stands, I did no known it was happening. When I did the last one I rocked the car off the stands and found myself jammed under the car, it was fucking heavy. Some how got myself out, I was on a creeper and under the fuel tank, I think that's why I got out. My wife could hear me scream and dialed emergency from the kitchen. I broke no bones but my upper body was sore and I could not move. I was lucky to have gotten out, it took me a month to recover.

These days I double check, then triple check!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #128
Pro Stock John
Old School HAMBer

OT car but I have a bunch of jackstands so I used like all of them since I was under the car about 10 times putting it together:

Old 12-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #129
McDeuce
Grenade Inspector

I have learned a lot reading all these posts. I am like all the rest of you I own a couple of sets of the cheap stands. They are getting renforced and replaced.

R.I.P. - Biker Bill, Gunpowder Jim, Wild Bill & Outdoor Bob
I miss you ALL !
Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #130
Dolmetsch
Old School HAMBer

Most of the deaths i know of involved using blocks like shown above. usaully happens here about once a year. The post where he says he puts a spare tire under it for safety is a really really good idea. I also do that. Unfortunatley I learned to do that the hard way. Took me two times to learn too. We all have a tire and rim around the shop. Usually several. Using them for added saftey is a no brainer i think. Costs nothing . Can save your life. What is not to like?
Don
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #131
czuch
Alliance Member

I worked with a guy who used a cement/cinder block to hold the box on a dumptruck up while he was fooling around with the hydraulics. I Made real cool wedges out of a big block of oak but he'd used cement all his life. Right up to the end. They said he thrashed around cause things were dissarayed.
A friend of mine's kid had the sissors jack collapse on him when a big truck went by. He was on the side of the road under his japper and folks drove past him for 3 hours while he was slowly suffocating and thinking last type thoughts. The tires were all on it and he's not right even now.
I've allways been paranoid about crawling under and do most of my work alone. Spare tires, wood blocks 6 ton jackstands and the floor jack ready to pump, THEN I'll go under. Never had one fall.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #132
czuch
Alliance Member

Oh yea, I had a friend who used a screwdriver as a pin one time.
Some folks,,,,,,,,,,,sheeeeeeesh
Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #133
onlychevrolets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
OT car but I have a bunch of jackstands so I used like all of them since I was under the car about 10 times putting it together:

nice weld on that drivers side mount..... I'm kidding
Old 12-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #134
czuch
Alliance Member

^ hahahahahahahaahahah ^
Baggin on a dudes weld on a jack stand thread.
Only on the HAMB!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #135
picasso

I saw one of my apprentices working under a car on a jack and with no stands, I checked that I was right and then pulled him out from under the car by his testacles. A bit harsh maybe but the several times he had been warned didnt stay in his mind any where near as effectively.!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #136
SCtattooer
Alliance Member

I guess I'm guilty as charged. Cinder blocks, cross stacked,with 4" solid blocks on top and stamped steel jack stands on all 4 corners. The van floor was 40" off the ground.

Would I do it again? Probably. In fact, the van is now in the garage as I type this on cinder blocks and the same stands. I shook the hell out of it, and it seems quite sturdy, but now you guys have put the fear of God in me and I'm afraid to get under it.
Just what do you all recommend when a vehicle has to be raised a lot, and you have a bunch of work to do under it? I know, a lift. But I don't have the ceiling height nor the funds for a lift.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #137
BISHOP
Old School HAMBer

Damn that is scary.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #138
alfredfromchicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchuck View Post
Theives killed when the car fell on them? That is some serious car karma there!

I recall a number of simelar deaths reported recently with thieves steeling catilatic converters with cordless sawzalls. Shop owners were finding crushed come morningtime.

I've got many pairs of good jackstands that i've bought at garagesales.
I find them hard to pass up.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #139
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

Great, OldSkewl61, posted HIS method on a similar HAMB thread! OAK, not real costly & anybody with a couple of basic tools can/could make a bunch of these up! Me, I'd still throw inflated tires under the frame (or rims), close by me but still giving myself room to work. Thanks, OldSkewl, for another fresh (not expensive) approach to the problem, man!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #140
1941ihkb5
Grenade Inspector

I rember when I was 16 or 17, I drove to my friends house one saturday morning. The neighbor drove a stock car, witch he was working on. About a half hour later we were headed somewhere and the fire dpt. was at the house pulling him out from under the car while a couple of guys lifted the car! Ill never forget that guys face, nor will I ever go under anything without GOOD jack stands and a couple of rims or blocks of wood.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #141
nitrohonkey
Alliance Member

3 unwavering truths to this existence...taxes, death, and gravity.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #142
48jeep
FNG

When I was young and stupid I was working on a 58 Dodge, wiring the muffler back in place. It was supported by a bumper jack only. The neighbor came by, leaned on the fender and asked what I was doing. That was enough to dislodge the jack and let it fall, fortunately, there was enough clearance and and I only had a bruise on my chest to show for my stupidity.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #143
blown49
Member Emeritus

As my Merc is dropped 5" front and rear I can't even get a floor jack under the front crossmember to change the oil. I built a set of ramps out of 4 pieces on 2 X 10. Each piece is beveled to a 45* angle on the drive on end. Bottom piece is 48" long, 2nd piece is 36" long and top piece is 24" long. Height is 5.25". Each layer is screwed to the one beneath it with 1-1/2" drywall screws. I have a 12" long piece, verticle on the end for a stop. I can change the oil without even jacking up the car but even if I jack it up and put on good cast ratchet stands I leave the ramps under the tires. They even work well if you back the car up one them to work on the rear end. It takes (2) 2 x 10's-10 feet long pretty cheap insurance.

Jim
Old 12-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #144
Shifty Shifterton
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtattooer View Post
Would I do it again? Probably. In fact, the van is now in the garage as I type this on cinder blocks and the same stands. I shook the hell out of it, and it seems quite sturdy, but now you guys have put the fear of God in me and I'm afraid to get under it.
Just what do you all recommend when a vehicle has to be raised a lot, and you have a bunch of work to do under it? I know, a lift. But I don't have the ceiling height nor the funds for a lift.
Holy crap man.

You need stands made of wood or metal. It's the failure mode of the material under compression, cement virtually explodes at the limit without any real warning. Metal or wood will show signs of stress or suffer a partial fracture before it outright fails.

I tried to press this lesson into a friend after seeing him use cinder blocks for an OT vehicle in a similar fashion to you. He didn't listen and the following day found himself scrambling out from under it. Fortunately as the stack collapsed the jackstand found the gas tank and held the car up for a few moments before puncturing thru. Then there was a secondary scramble to get the open flame heaters shut off as 20 gallons hit the floor. Fun stuff.

Good luck and work safe
Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #145
cvstl
Alliance Member

Wood cribbing (oak and hickory are good), like Bruce and Shifty have said...... look at how the house movers do it.

CROSS MEMBERS CC

HOTRODHUNDRED.com .... cars are meant for driving!!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #146
Kail

guys I have worked with have given me shit for how much time I take to set up a car on a lift or on jack stands, always taking a moment to look it over from both sides good shake, a pull down here a push there... never had a car drop, never damaged a car... and don't plan on it!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #147
executioner

i work at advanced and newbie yuppie mechanic wanna bes come in all the time and wanna buy the cheapest jack stands possible to jack up their denalis,escalades,etc.

i try to get them to buy the good ones for safetys sake.
a lot of times they argue about if the good ones are really necessary.
i have one sure fire common sense question i always ask them.
what do you think your head is worth?
they usually see things my way after that.
common sense isnt as common as you think.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #148
RadioFlyer
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
s I type this on cinder blocks and the same stands. I shook the hell out of it, and it seems quite sturdy, but now you guys have put the fear of God in me and I'm afraid to get under it.
Its probably been said already in the thread, but cinder/concrete blocks tend to fracture dramatically with point loads. The only thing going in your favor is that you have them stacked properly (they only bear loads in one direction), and sorta-but not really have the top solid bricks up there to not-quite spread the load. If you ever swing something into them, don't expect them to hold together, it could lose a chunk and send everything crashing down. It may not happen today, it may not happen tommorow, but one day, you, or somebody else is going to toss one of those blocks and crack it, you'll use it and that'll be the end of it when you least expect it.

Wood cribbing.

Alex.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #149
oldpl8s

I always put extra jack stands, jacks, etc under the car, then give it a good shake. I also carry wheel chocks in every car after having a car roll off the jack while changing a flat. Nothing damaged, but a good scare. I'm lucky not to have to work over dirt, but I would always put a board or sonething under the stands to keep them from sinking.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #150
972toolmaker
Grenade Inspector

It's not a bad idea to bump the car to check how well it is really supported on the jack stands. I had a 1959 impala fall off the stands when bumped for a safety check. Thank god we did that and repositioned the stands before removing the third member.!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #151
llonning

Quite a bit of an OT example concerning cinder blocks.

I used to do martial art demo's. Typical set up was 8 2"x4" stack on 2 cinder blocks for the correct height. I would only get 2 uses out of the cinder blocks. The 3rd time they would shatter. Please bear in mind this was with my bare hand. My palm is 4" wide. Just think of the pressure that is placed on a cinder block with just an inch or so of metal with a thousand pounds or more on them.

The thought of an improperly supported car just scares the crap out of me.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #152
Ice man

A jack is just a lifting devise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #153
Airborne34

I have passed this thread on to several of my friends. This has been a great reminder!!!

Ive always used the hyd jack with pressure applied & two 4 legged stands, spare wheel/tire is last thing.