Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What was Virgil smoking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Nov 24, 2009.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

I don't know, but I wish I knew, the man had class...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. the-rodster

the-rodster

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

Post up your pics of Exner's flamboyant, yet stylish designs.

Rich

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favorite wild futuristic custom car. It was made for Mr. Heinz as in 57 varieties. I think it was the son but don't quote me on that. It's a wild piece.

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

8. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Excluding the bullet nose Stude (lol)... those are some breathtaking cars.

Thanks for the pics.

-Chris

9. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

here's some of Virgil's stuff...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

11. Exner's first real concept car in concert with Ghia for Chrysler: the C200.

Attached Files:

12. According to Virgil Exner, Jr., who is still living, in an article in Old Cars newspaper several years ago, his father drove this car around Detroit for several years. He knew it as "The Chrysler 500". In clay form as shown in one of these photos the car was known as the 613 concept. Anyone know where this car is hiding today? If so, PM me. The artist's sketch of the convertible version is just a "what if" and was found on the internet.

Of course the entire front of this concept became the production '57 Chrysler 300C.

Attached Files:

13. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

He was smoking the good stuff, that turned Wild dreams into reality..

14. Exner's Norseman concept. The car that went down with the luxury liner Andrea Doria and still sits on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. The cantilever roof was the unique feature of this one. Yep, no A-pillar supporting the roof!

Attached Files:

15. Always loved this picture - I'd take ANY of those cars!

Attached Files:

16. XNR_RSide.jpg The Plymouth XNR roadster. Slant Six w/ Hyper-Pak powered little hot rod. This car went to the Middle East and has been rumored but never actually found. Some body over in our military keep an eye out for this, will ya?

17. When the question is "What was Virgil smoking?" this car comes to mind. The Turboflite was his creation after his first heart attack and I'm thinking that maybe the heavy drugs had something to do with the design on this one but that is only my opinion.

Attached Files:

18. johnl

johnl

The 1955 Imperial Newport and the 1957 Chrysler 300C at the start of this are my cars. I'm actually in the photo with the Imperial. These shots were taken from:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Exner

I'm proud to have my cars associated with the Exner name.

John

19. We'll probably end up showing a lot of Forwardlook Chryslers where he was head of design but in fact Virgil Exner came to Chrysler from Studebaker where Ray Loewy headed the studio. But I for one have to wonder if the simplicity of a car like this '52 Stude Commander Starliner hardtop (actually Stude's first hardtop before the '53s) doesn't show some of Exner's influence which we again enjoyed later most specifically the Letter Car 300s.

Attached Files:

20. the-rodster

the-rodster

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Oh man...late 50's Mopars are the coolest...
    There's a '58 'Soto just down my street, asked a few times, but doesn't want to sell...
    I weep everyday as I pass by, seeing the tarp slowly deteriorate over it...:(

22. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

The bullet nose Stude (photo 1 & 2 of this thread) was an Exner design?
    I didn't know that. I thought it was from Raymond Lowie's studio. Did Virgil work for him at the time?

23. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Wholy cow! I guess if fins are 'in' ... then REALLY goddam freakin HUGE fins are even better?

Attached Files:

24. Scott K

Scott K

Don't know what he was smokin, but I'm glad he was.

My contact buzz....

Attached Files:

25. old beet

old beet

The first pic that GOTGAS showed is a car I saw in an old garage in Cal,when on vacation. That was in 1955 on our way to D'land for opening day. My friend and I looked thru the garage window while my dad got gas, couldn't believe it. Think it was called D'Elegance, or somthin like that. Its still out there somewhere?????....Beet

26. johnl

johnl

I'm convienced that Ex was deeply involved with Stude styling, but Lowey took the credit as many in his place did and do. Look at this photo of a '58 Packard which is not an attractive car, but notice the "C" pilar and then look at a '57 Chrysler. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/1958%2520Packard%2520sedan%2520starlight.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/Packard1958.htm&h=561&w=750&sz=251&tbnid=_xeuoT2_fkwTRM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1958%2BPACKARD&usg=__-RoJoSKJ-opZBbGXpmpnDUeEV54=&ei=LlkMS-_CLpOqtgPT4ayTAw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&ved=0CA0Q9QEwAA

Someone had this design on their shelf for years, but I'll bet if you could trace it back it came from Ex.

27. the-rodster

the-rodster

Avanti magazine, Winter 2007
    Article by Lewis Schucart

"In 1938, Exner joined Raymond Loewy Associates, led by the industrial designer and Avanti creator Raymond Loewy.While with Loewy Associates, Exner was assigned to Loewy's account with Studebaker in South Bend. He worked on cars and military vehicles just before and during World War II, heading Studebaker's design activity for Loewy.In what
    later was to become a parting between the two designers, Studebaker's chief engineer convinced Exner to work secretly at home on an alternative design for the first post-war cars. When the designs were unveiled in 1944, Exner's model gained Studebaker approval. The two men didn't get along.Loewy always took credit for his designers' work, saying he
    personally created each design.A variety of internal politics at Studebaker conspired to favor Exner's new post-war 1947 Studebaker over the design that Loewy's team of designers had been working on at the same time. Loewy knew about the dual projects that lead up to the 1947 automobiles, but due to his contract with Studebaker, there was little he could do about the situation. Loewy fired Exner, who immediately was hired by Studebaker as chief of design. He was involved in the first cars to be produced after the war. Studebaker's advertising slogan was: "First by far with a post-war car." Some auto enthusiasts believe Exner was the main designer of the acclaimed 1947 Studebaker Champion Starlight coupe, although Loewy got the credit. The car was known for its full body size and integrated fenders.

28. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Thanks Rodster

29. the-rodster

the-rodster