Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lucky 7 parts in Ontario

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodored, Nov 23, 2009.

1. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Wondering if any of the Hambers have the real story on Lucky 7 Ent. out of Ontario. I saw them out Moultrie Ga swap meet and they claim to make all there own drop axles and hairpins with superior quality and price. Looks like they are putting there name on somebody's stuff. Are they a manufacturer or just a broker?

2. Ontario ? What state or country ?

3. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

They are in Milton, Ontario Canada - All their axles and parts have "Lucky 7" cast into them. www.lucky7ent.com

4. If Lucky 7 is cast into the axles and parts then they are doing more than just sticking their name on them.If it was just a sticker I,d be more hesitant....

5. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I've heard they are making their own parts. Good prices apparently.

6. The guys from Welders Series would probably know the story on Lucky 7.

7. i saw their display at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville last year , looked like good stuff. Lucky 7 was cast into their axles. apparently they have not been doing a good job of marketing themselves since no one has heard of them

8. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

there catolgue has the same pix as welder series catologue :)

9. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Why bother putting the catalog online without prices...

10. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I live in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, about 4 hours North of Milton, I've never heard of Luck 7 before, I even do alot of buisness with the local Hot Rod shop in Milton, its called Horton Hot Rod Parts, and they don't sell the stuff neither...I would like to find out more info tho.

11. josh77

josh77

The guy building my chassis used a "lucky 7" 4" drop and drilled axle in my car. They are made in Canada and are forged. JW ROD GARAGE sells them. My car's not anywhere near done, but for what it's worth it's a very nice looking axle, caught my eye right away Sunday when I stopped by his shop. If he runs them, that's good enough for me.......:cool:

12. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

The guy Joe Leone said that they could make hairpins any length that I wanted, and they had a superior price, but the prices that he quoted me at Moultrie where not all that special - $200 for an I beam 4 inch drop axle. If you look at the website it doesn't look like a manufacturer's website - no photos of heavy stamping equipment - just clip art of all the same stuff we have been buying for years. I liked the drilling on the I beams though - circles, ovals, and diamonds.

13. Chemin

Chemin

They're actually across the street from Horton's. I've heard they want to sell through distributors, not to the public directly. Hitman Hot Rods in Cambridge is a distibutor (http://www.hitmanhotrods.com/en/c2.html)
    They have prices on their website.

14. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Is it possible to visually tell a forged piece from a cast one?

15. yes, according to their website and the brochure i picked up the axles are cast...but the ones i examined in person looked forged to me

16. Vinnyboobah

Vinnyboobah

I actually had a conversation with them, and apparently the axels are made in Malaysia.....go figure, maybe its cheaper than China.........:eek:

17. Dave_D

Dave_D
    from NY

I was looking at these at the Syracuse nationals this year. They looked to be pretty high quality parts. The axles ARE forged. I'm not sure where they are made though. I don't remember the price he quoted me at the time, but I remember thinking it wasn't out of line with what others were charging. I'll be looking into them next time i need to buy an axle.

Attached Files:

18. josh77

josh77

Mine doesn't look cast, it's too smooth, that's what caught my eye. I'll take pics Friday of the axle when I'm back at the shop. I think I paid about $375 for 4" drop and drilled....

19. harry fabricator

harry fabricator

hmmm are you really going to trust a cast axle ? i have heard of 2 lucky 7 axles failling and some of their drop spindles . last i heard as well their tube axles are breaking as well but that can be from a few reasons as well ..

1- you cannot run a tube axle with wishbones or Hairpins ( ford did for 1 yr 1937 in V8 60 cars and they broke too) the tube axle cannot flex and twist torsionally like a forged I beam .
    2- split wish bones useing 4 link style bushings not tie rod ends as the bushing doesnt allow for the range of motion .

i guess id rather pay a lil more and have the proper job done right and done once then spend my money stupidly ..

20. Novaron

Novaron
    from New York

Lucky 7 out of business? Word on the street...

21. Someone tell me this has anyone ever met somebody selling an item that they manufactured or produced that said it was crappy stuff? :D

I have heard good and bad about Lucky7 right here on this board. if they are producing a forged axle I would not hesitate to use one but I doubt that they actually have their own forging facility (foundry?). That would make for a pretty expensive operation. ;)

Canuck likes this.
  22. Novaron

Novaron
    from New York

Mine is forged. I asked the owner himself. Good stuff, though it looks like it doesn't matter now. I suspect that there are just a few factories that make these parts, and they produce them for different vendors. How many factories are needed to supply dropped I beam axles to the world? A niche market.

23. Novaron

Novaron
    from New York

Mine is forged. I asked the owner himself. Good stuff, though it looks like it doesn't matter now. I suspect that there are just a few factories that make these parts, and they produce them for different vendors. How many factories are needed to supply dropped I beam axles to the world? A niche market.

24. What normally happens is that a vendor/manufacturer supplies the proper prints and the foundry makes up tooling to match. In the case of lucky 7 the tooling would have to include a logo. I imagine that the axle gets hammered out then goes back to lucky 7 for machining. The drilled axles would get drilled and the bungs for the king pin sized the spring perch holes punched,then if it needs plated it goes off to the dipper.

You are correct the world doesn't need a lot of foundries to knock out axles it just needs a few good ones. ;)

25. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

26. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I know the story of Lucky 7 going belly up. PM me if you need to know.
    I pulled my partially completed chassis out of there just before the doors were locked.
    Nice quality work but unfinished.