Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 11-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #21
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Safety Economy Run... FOR SQUARES!

Economy run in a giant Cadillac?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
Van Dutch
Grenade Inspector

Jeez, why ya crying Ryan, that looked like some swell fun.

Think anybody. even squares, were buyin' that kind of refer madness propaganda back then? The only economy run we ever had was how little gas could you put in your V8 car to get over the bridge to Jersey and still have enough to buy beer when you got there.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
autobilly
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam401 View Post
Waking up on Saturday at the crack of dawn, 100 miles going slow with an adult you've never met grading how you drive the whole time. Fuck that noise.
Totally true (don't rock me daddyo!), but on the other hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive-Bomber View Post
Its always the "Bird Brain in the Shot Rod" that ruins it for everyone...
...has it's validity today too.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #24
iammarvin
BANNED

couldn't get past the intro music.......head about to explode.....ahhhhhhhhhhh
Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
veedolpaul
Grenade Inspector

So thats were the lawn chair car show croud got started.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM   #26
junquewerkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedolpaul View Post
So thats were the lawn chair car show croud got started.
Yeah

My '26 T Roadster Build Blog: Twice Lucky
Old 11-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #27
Jim Bays Sr.
FNG

This square was pumping gas at Dons MOBIL Super Service in Downey, CA in the late 40's when Mobil put on the Economy Runs and it was interesting to see the results. It revealed the mentality of so many Americans as to just what is important to them. All the cars that came out on top in the results just disapeared from the American highways and was replaced by big gas guzlers. All the cars that did well in those runs were easy to work on, roomy inside, would have lasted forever with reasonable maintenance and sensable operation. At the same time the "Jalopy" races were a growing craze and a whole generation of really great cars were turned into junk by .... hot rodders. True, racing was a thrill to watch and be into, and no exception was Quarter Midget Racing. But no autos were destroyed and no kids were injured to my knowledge, but someone was worried about it I guess cuz suddenly there were roll cages all over the place. Well...to each his own I guess. Oh yeah...I even pumped Red Lion and Blue Green at a Gilmore Service Station...'43.

Last edited by Jim Bays Sr.; 11-25-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: After thought...I am into Off-Roading and - Don't follow me...you can't make it !!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #28
llonning

The gas price killed me. I don't remember what year it was, but a few years later I remember gas a .09/gal for regular. Of course I was just a kid and driving was a long way off at the time. Anybody remember the gas wars??
Old 11-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #29
Jim Bays Sr.
FNG

Yup ! I saw it at .08 cents here in NLB at a Shell station in 1938. A bus ride to the Pike was .05 cents. The .10 tax made gas .18 cents but suddenly we had better roads. The drawings for Cadillacs and other stuff was fun, The phony gas shortage of '73 (Carter) started all this crap we got today and somebody should have gone to Jail !!! Tankers were waiting in the harbor to unload and Gas trucks were dumping gas into the tanks of stations that had been closed and out of business !! More gas was sold during that time than any other ! It was an experment to see just what they could get away with !! Now we know.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #30
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

Gas was 8 cents and the tax was 10 cents? I am sure there is a comment about the good old days in there somewhere with that, but not sure what.

And by the way, not defending Carter by any means, but he was president from '77-'81. So, I doubt he had much to do with the price of gas in '73, maybe peanuts. But gas did spike again in '79 of course with the Iran fiasco.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #31
Jim Bays Sr.
FNG

Yup..you are right. Deisel was about 18 cents up until '73 when it jumped a little but still livable. Then it really started up when Carter was in there, that is probably what I remember Carter for ! When I first went to Deisel it was as if I had a 100% increase in "take home" pay ! You can imadgine my mad when I had to start operating in the red !!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #32
5window
Old School HAMBer

I can strongly remember telling my wife we'd go somewhere else, I'm not paying 35 cents a gallon-that was '73. I think Jimmy Cater is a very honorable man. He just couldn't play the dirty Washington game. '73 was Ford, also honorable,long time politician,not a clue.

Politics aside, if you were only making $1.99 an hour in '73, then .35 wasn't cheap either. Reality-back then I had to work 2 hours for a tank gas, a whole lot less today.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #33
Jim Bays Sr.
FNG

I was making almost $10 per hour at that time...and it wasn't nearly enough to pay my expenses. It was a busines you just didn't walk away from like a lot of jobs, I could still make enuff to keep food on the table and pay some bills, but nothing else !! When I was working for $2.50 an hour and holding down a part-time job we could afford the QM racing and the horses...But Carter changed all that ! Having been on both sides / labor and business...I quickly became a Republican !!

Last edited by Jim Bays Sr.; 11-27-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Forgot the decimal point !
Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #34
Dynaflash_8
Old School HAMBer

What a load of bullshit!

Id be smokin the rears all the way through that intersection, with the headers screamin like banshees!
Old 11-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #35
Jim Bays Sr.
FNG

Get your head out of the privy kid...that's not healthy !!!