Register now to get rid of these ads!

bias ply alternative

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Psychobilly Boi, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Hey Guys,

Its seems to have died down...but a little while ago there was quite abit of talk on radial Vs bias etc. Most loved the look of bias plys but hated the performance.

I was wondering...what about those narrow high profile light truck/van tyres. The look more like bias plys but im guessing the handling would be better. with some porta walls they may look ok...or be a tolerable compromise at least.

anyone ever seen someone do it or done it themselves? i hate the chubby radials that came when i bought my ride..yet dont want to kill the safety and handling that comes with radials.

Let me know your experiences or opinions.

Danny

2. Hey common guys!

Someone here must have some ideas!!!

Danny

3. Noname38

Noname38

I'm a poser I've never run bias. Radial WW Diamonbacks preferable they ride nice n look nice in my opinion but I wouldn't run um on a fenderless rod.

4. hatch

hatch
    from house

hiboy....bias only

fenders...radials OK if car sits low enough..

end of story

5. Hey,

Yeah mine is a highboy so im looking for something reasonable. Thanks for the reply!

Danny

6. Porta walls and radials don't mix at all. The portawalls will simply fly apart at speed because the radial sidewalls flex much more than a portawall will.
    The bias plys seem to work better on a light car than a heavy car. I ran bias plys on my 33 ford pickup..prolly weighed 1900 lbs tops but when I bolted up a set of old, hard Goodyear Double Eagles [bias plys] on my 49 ford coupe, the car was actually dangerous to drive. A good set of radials made it drive just fine again.
    I say give those little truck radials a try and take photos for us...then, do a drive-test and get back to us with the results.............thanks!

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Porta walls and radials don't mix at all. The portawalls will simply fly apart at speed because the radial sidewalls flex much more than a portawall will.
    The bias plys seem to work better on a light car than a heavy car. I ran bias plys on my 33 ford pickup..prolly weighed 1900 lbs tops but when I bolted up a set of old, hard Goodyear Double Eagles [bias plys] on my 49 ford coupe, the car was actually dangerous to drive. A good set of radials made it drive just fine again.
    I say give those little truck radials a try and take photos for us...then, do a drive-test and get back to us with the results.............thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey rocky,

Yeah im checking it out tonight...price wise. if they can fit into my budget i'll try some out.

danny

8. Passenger car radials.

Attached Files:

9. Another view.

Attached Files:

10. C9,

Thanks for the pics...mine on the front a very similar..perhaps not quite so tall...its mainly the rears i have issues with...something like 255/70/15s - are like steam roller tires. I want something basically that is tall and narrow...but most radials seem to get wider as they get taller.

here are some pics of some light truck tyres i found on the net. a couple even remind me of dirt trackers

danny

Attached Files:

11. another one...

Attached Files:

12. One thing you want to be careful of with the light truck tires on a light car, it's gonna be tough to get a good ride out of them.
    The first go-round tire-wise on my 32 I had 185/70R-14 up front and 31.50/15 light truck radials in back.
    As shown in the pic below when the car was first running.

Fronts were about 24" tall and rear about 30 1/2" tall.
    Even with very low pressures in the rear tires - 12 to 16# - it still rode a bit harsh.
    I replaced the light truck tires with 285/70R-15 passenger car radials and the ride is quite a bit better.
    These tires are usually run at 20#.
    The 285's are just about the same size - height and width - as the earlier 31.50's.
    The 31.50's used because ten years ago, that was about all that was available in a tall reasonable width radial.

The 32's front tire you see in the head on view of the 31 is a 195/70R-14.
    The change made to get the front axle up just enough so I can get my jack under it.
    This tire is about 25" tall.

The front tires on the 31 are 165/80R-15 (25" tall) and the rears are 235/75R-15 (28" tall).

Right now I'm liking the looks of the tires on the 31 and will probably run them for a while.
    It will be interesting to see how the car handles compared to the 32 with it's wider tread width tires.

I think it will do ok.
    'Sides, you can always steer with the throttle....

Attached Files:

13. Appoligies, but I have to be brief......

My friends tourer, rides great, handling is ok.

I'm using the same tyres/rimsize on my 28 A r/p/u......

Front: 165/75R-15 (on a 15x4.5" rim)

Rear: 7.00R15 (8 ply) on a 15x5" rim (only Toyo makes this size, as far as for the trucks....)

These tyres are hard to come by, will be going to a 'more common size' 7.50R16 on a 16x5" rim

Cheers,

Drewfus

Attached Files:

14. [ QUOTE ]
    Appoligies, but I have to be brief......

My friends tourer, rides great, handling is ok.

I'm using the same tyres/rimsize on my 28 A r/p/u......

Front: 165/75R-15 (on a 15x4.5" rim)

Rear: 7.00R15 (8 ply) on a 15x5" rim (only Toyo makes this size, as far as for the trucks....)

These tyres are hard to come by, will be going to a 'more common size' 7.50R16 on a 16x5" rim

Cheers,

Drewfus

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Kat,

thanks for the info...i'll see if i can track down some. yours look exactly like i want...chased them up through a local dealer...still available and at $170 a pop..not cheep but half the price of bias plys.

How tall are they overall do you know?

Danny