Register now to get rid of these ads!

What 60s bucket seats fit a Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Oct 30, 2009.

1. I am thinking about putting bucket seats in my A. What 60s era seats will fit real nice. Any pictures will be appreciated.

2. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I'd look for something that was narrow and which had a relatively thin and upright back. Narrow because the Model As are not very wide inside, and thin backs because the further back you can sit the more legroom you'll have.

My first thought would be to look at something out of a small, vintage, British sports car (early MGs, Austin Healeys, Triumphs) or perhaps something like the ones that are used in the AC Cobra replicas. Depending on your build you might also look at some of the vintage or reproduction bomber seats.

For the latter, here are a couple of links.

Aluminum Bomber Seats and brackets

EZBoy Bomber Seats

The first link above has the bare aluminum seats, the second has upholstered bomber seats that actually look more like vintage British sports car seats to me.

3. my `28 ford tudor has mid-70's Honda Civic bucket seats , they might be bit hard to find them now in a junkyard

[​IMG]

4. rusty210

rusty210

I'm thinking anything out of a full size car would look too big and out of scale. Maybe early Beetle. Cheap, easy to find, and easy to recover. The one on the right I recently recovered for my '59.
    [​IMG]

5. Mustang, Falcon. Camero seats might also work well. I think they are about 18-20" wide.
    European sports cars.
    Not '60s but the back seat out of a '53/4 stude would work real well. Its a bench that resembles buckets and has a center console. I'll look for a pic.

Here's a pic of one that has been reupholstered. They are actually pretty narrow about like a Neon.

[​IMG]

I thought I had a pic of an original. But not here at work.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  6. 231ramona

231ramona

I had 65 Mustang seats in my 34 and really liked them. I know an A is a little narrower but they may still work. Good luck.

Attached Files:

7. Hodad

Hodad

I have a pair of 64 Tbird seats in my 30 Tudor.. very tight fit.. but they fit

8. guiseart

guiseart

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

10. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

The Beetle seats could be a good choice if you're trying to sit up higher than you would in the sports car or bomber seats and that could give you a bit more room for your legs since they'd be less stretched out in front of you. The only problem I can see offhand might be that in a car that has been chopped and channeled you might have a shortage of head room.

11. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yeah, good thought, and seats from other similar cars (Datsuns, Toyotas, etc.) could also work as well. Something out of an early Fiat, Alfa Romeo, or Lancia might work, too. Actually, pretty much any small car with low back buckets might be a source for these kinds of things.

12. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yeah, I was thinking they might be a smidgen too wide for a Model A, but it'd be worth it to measure before crossing them off the list.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

T-bird, Mustang, Honda, maybe even MG's and other compact cars
    try to go low back buckets..high back buckets dont look right IMO

right now im using 96 T-bird buckets with the head rests removed..6 way power adj. for the driver..kinda nice but they are a tight fit but doo-able..its what i had..and they were cheap..20 bucks each.

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Jeep CJ's, low or high back. $300 a pair ready to install on your 1" square tubing frame.

Attached Files:

15. These are from a Toyota Supra(?) and will fit a car that has a 50" width where your shoulders would be with room to spare.

They're for sale.

Attached Files:

16. dragass

dragass

I have mid sixties Dodge van buckets for my model A. Nice and narrow with low backs.

17. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I had 65 Mustang seats in my 29, fit perfect.
    [​IMG]

18. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I am running the seats that Speedway Motors sells... They fit nice in the Model A but the seat mount they sell won't fit... I just fab'd my own mounts...

[​IMG]

19. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

60-63 falcon bucket seats are narrower then 64-66 mustang seats

20. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Dodge A-100 van front seats are a great fit.

Attached Files:

21. I measured a set of early mustang seats at Carlisle but they would have been tight. I really like them but if they don't fit good I personaly don't think they look right. Thanks for the input.

22. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

It seems tight enough in there for 2 with the bench in my '29. I like bench seats anyway. If you do use buckets try to stay away from anything with a high back - it just wouldn't look good IMHO.

23. 21tat

21tat

I think the Mustang seats just look good in there.

24. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Early Morris Minor seats are fairly bucket like, if you get Series II (Split Screen) they are really comfortable!Narrow too should fit a Model ''A'' nicely.

Nicck.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a side note, the adjusters that are under the "captain's chairs" in conversion vans can be fairly easily adapted to use under other seats for low profile adjusters and they are pretty easy to find.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

26. scrape

scrape

morris minors have really cool seats,,, so do crosleys....
    also 60s vans ford,chevy,dodge....

27. 61TBird

61TBird

Put some Tbird seats in there...
    The drivers seat on quite a few is power also (up/down,forward/back).

[​IMG]

28. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

[​IMG]
    These aren't cheap but they look bitchin' they're from Cobra seats.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have a pair of VW low backs (pre '68) set aside for my '30 coupe. Use them with the tube bases for stock height cars, cut the bases off for channeled cars. As an aside, you can use the more plentiful high back seats by removing the"back" tube and welding a brace in. Then use a low back cover kit. Simple and they look right, plus they're damn comfy for long miles.

30. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

1990's REAR Camero seats fit nice, you have to do a little fab to make them fit nice...bench backreast, bucket seats...I will post pics when I can...and they are CHAEAP junkyard items....