Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-17-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
Duster
Grenade Inspector

Default 1937 Chevy PU VIN #

Where is the VIN # on a 1937 Chevy PU. My friend got one in Arizona and took it to Yuma AZ. and got new plates and title, but since it was already an AZ. truck it did not need an inspection. later we could not find the #"s. How can he get #"s and a new title. LATER
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
roadstar
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: 1937 Chevy PU VIN #

On the early chevys I have delt with the VIN is the engine no. There is usually a body tag on the firewall on most old chevys but it will not have a nunber that will match any numbers on the title.

I had a problem once where I bought a 47 chevy 2 door sedan and the title said 4 door. The seller said thats how he got it back when he put it in his name and never bothered to do anything about it.

I had to have a cop look at it and verifie the VIN and it was the number on the engine block.

So if the original engine isn't in the truck you may have an issue.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
Duster
Grenade Inspector

Hate to hear that. This one has a 350 chevy. Anyone make REPO. Nr. plates. I will put one on in a Heartbeat. etc.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-17-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Rocky
Classified Editor

It's not a big issue here...take a hunk of cast iron with a machined spot on it. Stamp your VIN into it with number/letter stamps to match your title. Tell the DMV dude you removed the piece from the original engine before it went to the scrap man.
You DO have a title with the VIN on it, right? If not, get one.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
Duster
Grenade Inspector

Yes he has a good AZ. Title. We just can't find any Nr's on the truck. Was thinking of making a tag and putting it on the door jam. them make it look old.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Darby

On my '39, there's a rectangular tag (2" x 3"???) riveted onto the passenger side of the cowl, just ahead of the firewall, so it would be under the back edge of the hood when the hood was closed. Height wise, about halfway between the two door hinges, if I remember it right. That's what we used as a VIN number when we made out the bill of sale. Maybe it's in the same place on a '37, or maybe you'll see the two holes where it used to be?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Yes, as said by others, it was on the engine. As a former 37 Chevy truck owner with a SBC, my truck had the numbers stamped on the frame rail (same as the engine numbers). When I moved states, the CA DMV lady just looked at the numbers and said OK, of course I had the TX title that showed the numbers to match between the title and the frame stamps. The DMV people generally do not know where the numbers should be, so if you show them some numbers stamped on the frame, they most times will take that.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Duster
Grenade Inspector

Just were on the frame were they stamped. Thanks