Register now to get rid of these ads!

They opened up an old air strip for us today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slingblade44, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Slingblade44

Slingblade44

Here are a couple of pics of some old school cars that were giving it hell at an old air force base today. Arm drop 1/8 mile grudge racing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the eyes pop out and the bottom jaw drops when he hits the throttle!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Is it just me or does it seem like the "Old airfield, armdrop start, eyeball finish" is the real future of drag racing? Funny how the past comes back around isn't it? Eagle field was a blast I hear Kingdon was great and this looks like it was really cool too! Nice wide lanes and the airstrip looks like it is in pretty good shape too.

3. Slingblade44

Slingblade44

We have a huge car show in town saturday. They closed main street for cars to cruise tonight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. What goes around, comes around...until something on one of those rat rods brakes and someone gets hurt!

5. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

That's different.

6. coopdevill65

coopdevill65
    from tac ,wa

look like fun to me!! isnt that how it all started?

7. skunx1964

skunx1964

nope

8. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Like I said in a previous thread, I was fortunate enough to spend a day at North Weald Airfield (Airport) in England when the abandon air strip was being used as a drag strip, and I've got to tell you, it's quite a refreshing experience... Lots of cars showed up, from stripped down stockers, to altereds, gassers, diggers and floppers-- a wide variety of English drag racers were there for battle on the air strip... I've been to countless days and nights at the drags, at modern sanctioned drag strips, but there's definitely something to be said for holding a drag racing event at an old air field-- It's nice to have the wide open space and not to have a bunch of buildings and structures obstructing the view... It appears to me that y'all had a good day in Texas... And you certainly had some unique looking rides enter the show... I think every true drag racing enthusiast should experience at least one day of the drags at an old air field in their lifetime, it's a neat perspective that can be most enjoyable... Take my word, it's a blast!!... Like a real blast from drag racing's past... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

That looks like Fun!

10. belair

belair

11. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Thoughs arnt ratrods, they look well built to me. You think they are ratrods cause of the spiderwebs and rust and the diffrent things they do?

12. JimSibley

JimSibley

Bah, humbug!

13. fitzee

fitzee

This is a cool shot

Attached Files:

14. Guilty as charged. It's just that I'm old enough to remember how many guys got killed back in the good old days of airport runway drag strips with little or no safety regs.

15. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

More of that "Wasted Childhood" car!

16. oldpaint

oldpaint

Looks like Milner and Falfa were there!

Attached Files:

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Damn right! Just look at it for a minute and it starts to hit you how cool it is.

18. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Yep. Lotta' bloody, gory accidents because of poorly-built cars (and stupid driving) throughout hot rodding history.

The old base was once Perrin Air Force Base and interceptors were based there in the 1950s and '60s.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And in the "Old days" we didn't have 454 Chevys and 427 small blocks. My real race car went 12.50 - 108. You can do the "Old School" thing with old motors. Todays motors go a lot faster. But it sure looks like fun to me too.

20. That's some funny shit! Guess you never saw a traditional car come apart while driving? Just because some of the rats are slapped together doesn't mean all of them are! I have seen a couple of these cars in person and the look built pretty good to me. I put thousands of miles on my "RAT" this summer. How many have you put on your car without it being on the trailer?

21. JAWS

JAWS

over 100k in about 5 years.

22. some of the cars are "rat rods" but most of them are "rat shit rods!"

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Come on lets not turn another thread to shit crying about "Rat Rods"!!

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The reason Rich's car is on a trailer is because its a dragster....which is something that very few people will have the nuts to get into....

25. madpole

madpole

cool pictures. looks like a good time. i like the looks of that olds. any more pics of that one?

26. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

I agree it gets ridiculous hearing about the Rat Rods/ I can't believe how many people piss and moan about this, but then again I can, this is America and we love to piss and moan.
    Neat story about the old air strip and the cars look great.......

27. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Rich Venza has paid his dues and is entitled to his opinion too.

28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I had the pleasure of participating in a similar event this summer at KKOA in Salina, KS. While I enjoyed myself tremendously, one concern was crowd control and total lack of tech/safety inspection. While it is all meant to be fun, there probably needs to be some level of safety inspection to prevent an accident.

One serious accident would not only dampen the mood for that particular event, it could easily END any possibility of future events nationwide.

So, glad you had the opportunity, and myself as well. Hope these events continue forever...but be careful.

And respect your elders!

29. scrape

scrape

thanks for posting... have any more pics????

30. Raunchy

Raunchy

Why is it that Americans have become so negative about everything. Most people on this site long for the old days. Well these drags are from the old days. They are way more fun than going to a sanctioned track with all the rules, B.S. and high prices. Everyone that was there knows there is an element of danger there. One of the things that make it fun. Driving a car at W.O.T. is not something you can do on the street. Why do we put fast engines in the cars if we can't use them. It was only a 1/8 mile track. So speeds were somewhat in check. I say good show and there should be more of it. Static cars shows suck to me. But I still go cause I like ALL forms of cars. I have what HAMBERS would probably classify as a rat. It was built by me with quality parts. I got drowned on the maiden voyage to L.S.R. 2009. But the car never missed a beat. I have put 8000 miles on it since April. Drags are dangerous. But so is that freeway drive. I would rather die at the strip with my foot to the floor. Having a blast. Than taken out by some no driving prick on the freeway, I think real Hotrodders are Rebels by nature because of the thrills it gives,one of which is building a car to go fast sound good and thumb your nose at the fuzz. Knowing theres no way he could catch you if it wasn't for that Damn radio. So I am going to support all forms of hotrodding. These are just my opinions as people on here are so quick to be negative or bash others. You're welcome to yours. Hotrods aren't for pussies.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009