Register now to get rid of these ads!

any body done the edsel conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paperdog, Oct 18, 2009.

1. i bought a 58 ranchero today
    sorry no picturs yet
    any body know what it takes to convert the front to a edsel nose
    is it hood and grill or do the fenders need swappin too and what model is the right one

will my hollander help as a guide?

thanks if ya can help

2. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

reasonably sure the sheetmetal is a direct swap..i think you need to swap the entire nose to pull it off,,,,,,again, not 100% certain, but recalling what i've read on the subject, fairly sure,,,,good looking swap for sure, , ,

3. Everything from doors forward. Pacer or Ranger (Ford based). Citation and Corsair are Mercury based and I don't think they will work. You will need rare (expensive)'58 Edsel wagon taillights to complete the deal.

4. ok thanks that helps

damn i saw those lites not that long ago too...

5. Here's what 'yer lookin' for. :) LOVE this car/truck and keep trying to talk the guy out of it. No luck. :(

Attached Files:

6. 562roadster

562roadster

lookup Anaslime...he has a killer edselero

7. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

This is a 59 done by a friend. He clipped it. and kept the dash too. It sure brings up a lot of questions.

SANY1165.jpg

8. 42coupe

42coupe

Check with 40panel348. He's done it.

----------------------

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

I have never seen a 59 done. That is to cool, here is my 59

Attached Files:

10. DanM

DanM

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Talk to 40Panel348, Kurt. He did his and it absolutely rules! Edsel wagon tailights and all!

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The tail lights make/or/brake this conversion IMHO ... :D

13. hmmm yesterday i bought the ranchero .. today i drove 130 miles one way to look at this wagon from local c list

i was soooo tempted but passed on it the front end was pretty rotten and was everything i could/ would of sold after the conversion and the taillights were missing the usable lenses he refused to parti out and it will end up at windy hill ( new london)at the price listed ..

it would have been 550 to get it to my house i may regret this

guy says he has a nice 4 door even farther away but is gonna crush it prolly before i could look at it geeeez

i'll keep lookin i guess

Attached Files:

14. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Edselero- His car/truck is beautiful.

15. Squablow

Squablow

That wagon is a Bermuda, with the optional fake wood trim on the sides, well worth $550 to buy even if you can't use the sheetmetal. Those tail light lenses are repopped so if they're missing no big deal.

If you modified the woody trim somewhat, you could build the world's only '58 Edsel Ranchero Squire, which would be bad-ass for sure. I would reconsider passing on that car, there's a lot you could use there, including an Edsel wagon rear bumper and wagon specific Edsel tail gate trim to use on the Ranchero tailgate, in addition to the Bermuda trim and wagon tail lights.

The front clip you can get from a cheapie 4 door, so not that big of a deal, those wagon parts are tough to replace.

16. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

get the wgn for the tail light housings, bumpers, and dash...re-pop lenses can be found on ebay..

the edsel rear bumpers look better than the ranchero's and youll want them to "match" the edsel front bumpers..IMO

Attached Files:

17. [​IMG]
    I'd like to find one of those^^^ license plate guards,...anybody?

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Is the rear bumper wagon specific?

19. A friend of mine built that car. I can find out what bumper/overrider that is if you need it.

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Do the taillights bolt on, or do you have to do some sheetmetal work?

I looked at that wagon at too on CL. I think that's a good deal for that. If I had the money to spare, I would probably have jumped on it. When I was seriously looking, all I could find were '59s. Now it's too late of course.

21. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Pretty sure they are diff. but all of the edsel bumpers are wider I took like 8-9" out to make mine fit nice , Edsels guys will know for sure.

Attached Files:

22. TERPU

TERPU

Take it to the local iron recycler after you pull the stuff off of it, or park it with a free sign on it after you are done in the town it's in. Somebody will want it for sure. You don't have to drag it home.

Tim

23. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

In the process on 57Joe's '57. The rest bolts in, same holes and all. You also nee to do something about the little nib of trim on the top fin on the housing. Edsel's had trim there that continued onto the tailight. Most grind it off before chroming.

Attached Files:

24. That is a stock '58 Edsel wagon rear bumper and license guard.

26. WELL I picked up the wagon shown above today its home now not without incident it skidded off the side of the trailer while loading .. 3 wheels were locked up and then the ramps fell off while un loading it and it was hung up by its chinny chin chin

yup
    there is a piece that helps the edsel taillite fit on the ford and although i like the rear bumper shown on that black car my wagon bumper is nothing like it ????

and i have found some more leads on others one over 4 hours away
    and a hamber has offered assistance too

thanks alot for all this help
    is there such a thing as a gold chainer edsel guy?

geez what the heck did i start now:D:D:D:D

Attached Files:

27. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

"If you find the complete taillight setup it will have a sheet metal piece that bolts to the quarter for that"

i havent seen that, Id like to see a picture if someone has seen this- good job on the wgn score..good luck

28. Anaslime, I was going to do this conversion to my Fairlane a while back and I saw in one of the little books there was an aftermarket piece for this filler panel. I'll have to check, but I guess he doesn't have to worry about that now that he's got the whole qtr to work with.

BTW, Paperdog. if your cutting up that wagon, that roof and tailgate was used in converting a 50 merc into a phantom 2dr wagon in R&C not long ago. It really worked well. just a through if you going to be selling the leftovers, that rood skin can be used for filling in a 30's sedan roof. So don't trash it

29. gosh i had forgotten about the roof now i am happier
    as the list of 30's ford is long around here
    seems there is some chrome trim around the roof that may work out on the project EDSQUIR-O / BERMUDO too

i'll try and get some pictures of that tail light filler piece soon

so this thing will be stripped down even more any other suggestions for cross use eng- trans stuff

or other items--save/sell?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  30. I have them tucked away (not for sale) and will dig 'em out for a pic.