Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress Pics - 1936 Ford Pick up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53choptop, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 53choptop

53choptop

Pick this up from the father in law (FIL) for my wife about a year ago, he had it since he was a teenager (he's in his late 50's), and she has really good memories of it growing up, so when we found out he was selling it, we bought it off of him for her. Yes we had to buy it but I won’t get into that, since I love the wife, I’ll just bite my tongue and move forward. The history of it for her is more important to me that the $$ she spent on it to buy it.

This is how we bought the truck, from a distance, depending on what you are into it looks ok, but not for my standards. The truck sits on an 80 Olds car frame, everything was “modified” to make it fit. And by modified I mean fucked up, the FIL had too many hack body shops work on it throughout the 40 years he had it. The sad part is I have seen RAT RODS hat were probably safer than this thing. (bite tongue, bit tongue, bite tongue)….moving on

Attached Files:

2. 53choptop

53choptop

After she crashed into the house because the breaks decided to take a dump on it, I did not want to her driving it like that, I ralized it was going to take more work trying to fix everything wrong with it that doing it the right way. We, well I decided it was it had to be done right. So I pulled it all apart. She was not happy about this....actually she started crying; as you can see i did not. :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-X1zvpVMj_U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-X1zvpVMj_U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  3. 53choptop

53choptop

Blasted the body.

As luck would have it, the gods were with me, because I was sure as hell not going to use the Oldsmobile frame the truck was on, so a buddy of mine hooked me up with a Ford frame he had for the truck. It was almost a god sent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. 53choptop

53choptop

Before the cab went to Chris I braced it up really good, it stayed square throughout the process, i knew that when I started to cut out pieces of it, it had to stay straight.

The floors were gone so what I ended up doing was using what was there as patterns to make a new pieces. I cut pieced out one at a time and using cardboard templates made a new one out of 16 gauge sheetmetal.

Attached Files:

5. 53choptop

53choptop

Some more

Attached Files:

6. 53choptop

53choptop

Patch panels were bought from Howells Sheetmetal shop, both cowl sides, lower rear cab corners, rockers, everything else I copied and made

Attached Files:

7. 53choptop

53choptop

Rear section of the cab

Attached Files:

8. 53choptop

53choptop

Cowl vent patch

Attached Files:

9. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Lookin good!

10. neverliftmotorsports

neverliftmotorsports

Good job on bringing back a turd. Man that thing looked like shit! I really liked the rear bumper that was on the truck. That was custom!

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW, that was definitely a labor of love ! musta been a racer, cuz it surely was "swiss cheezed"

12. Family deals can be the shits...been there...

Glad to see it's getting the care and attention it deserves...

Good luck...

13. 53choptop

53choptop

1985 Mercury Grand Marquis bumpers, spot welded on to the frame, it literally took a few hard yanks to pull them off.

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice work on the project im glad your doing it over to be much safer than the hack work that was all ready done to it , cant wait to see how it finishes out

15. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Lots of work...big rewards!
    DD

16. Man looks good, keep it up....you should have made the cab a little longer so you could drive it too! :D

17. 53choptop

53choptop

Well to cope with the "little cab big guy" issue, Gracie has given the go ahead with suicide doors on the 36. She always like what I did to the ol '53 Ford.....

she's a keeper.

Attached Files:

18. 36 trucks rock. thats going to be nice when its done.

19. geemann51

geemann51

Looking good Rey. I'll be home for good next week, let me know if you still want to borrow the cab mounts to make a pattern.

20. Nice work dude! And very well documented. Thanks for taking the time to :A - fix that monstrosity and: II- show us how you did it.

21. 53choptop

53choptop

This is the stage I am at right now. I want to make sure everything lines up on the frame before I hit the suspension. Several things were shortened/extended to make the whole thing fit on the car frame that assuming it fits would be a mistake.

I have since stripped the bed of the paint and filler, the bedsides were decent, but this thing had so much bondo on it that it didn't even need. The only plus about that is that it protected the sheetmetal....at least that what i keep telling myself.

Attached Files:

22. 53choptop

53choptop

Hey Gregg, that would be great, and if its not too much of a trouble, I'd also like to take a few measurement of the front fender braces and running boards.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408392

Also, I have those fender aprons we talked about June, I can take them with me and see if they work out for you.

23. geemann51

geemann51

No trouble at all, I'm a long way from needing them. PM me your number and I'll give you a call when I get settled back in...

24. mow too much

mow too much

You made the right decision to start over ;), a lot of work. good luck.

25. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, that thing was hideous. The rust really wasn't that bad, but the whole blue Bondo, Olds frame, Marquis bumper arrangement bordered on criminal.

That little truck is gonna love you for fixing it. (the wife will too) Bringing a Frankenstien like that back to life the right way is good hot rod Karma for you...

Nice work, -Abone.

26. ROBS 36

ROBS 36

Wow nice work

27. 53choptop

53choptop

I'll add some more:
    -2x4's were used as seat mounting/risers
    -wood screws bolted the seat to the 2x4's and the sheetmetal on the floor
    -extension cords were used to wire the rear lights
    -only 2 things held teh steering column in place, one bolt at the dash and the rag joint at the gear box, when you turned either way the entire column would turn with it.
    -fuse box used old style glass fuses, all of them covered in foil
    -1 inch wheel spacers all around
    -wheels are 15 by 10 and rubbed the inside of the frame, wheels only made about 3/4 of turn
    -seat belts nailed into 2x4's that held the seat up
    -radiator had a tennis ball size hole through it, patched up with bondo
    -perfectly good grill... well see for yourself
    [​IMG]
    - the angle iron you see there welded to the grill held up the marquis bumper, front fenders and was bolted to the front of the frame
    -to raise the cab from the frame 4 pieces of angle iron were used and vertically welded to the cab and frame
    -every hole every opening was cut out with a chisel an hammer, it all looks like they were torn "out"
    -throughout the frame the gas line was held up with string
    -oh yeah that hood scoop you see, the hood was cut up with said chisel and a hammer to add that fiberglass camaro scoop, which also looks like it was cut out with an even duller chisel

and the list goes on.... I remember reading the thread of the guy who paid $20K for the red 36 Ford that needed alot of work... in knew exactly how he felt.

I didn't take pictures of this cause it would only upset me more, its pretty much burned into my brain as it is.

bite tongue, bite tongue, bite tongue....im not gonna bitch anymore, at this point the truck is taking a better direction.

28. 53choptop

53choptop

I wanted to use an original seat riser, I bought a bunch of 37 Ford commercial truck parts from a guy in Magnolia last year including a gas tank, as you know commercial trucks had the gas tank underneath the seats. SO I figured it would work as a seat bottom/riser.

I cut out the bottom part of the tank, removed the baffles, cleaned the inside of the tank with acid, stripped the paint and walla.

The tank is really straight and solid. The white stuff on the tank is ospho. This thing is going to be perfect. It makes a great storage compartment under the seat, I am a actually leaning towards hidng the battery and a heater down there.

Attached Files:

29. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not unless its a gel type. Hydrochloric acid gas inside the cab be bad

30. Nice job on the truck. I don't know if I would have been able to stay modivated once it got back from the blaster, but it looks like you are over the hump now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.