Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - IT'S ALIVE!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Oct 10, 2009.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'm proud to announce that it finally LIVES!! After lots of heartache with the last Hemi (cracked in every cylinder), I was nervous to even turn the key on this engine. There was a few obsticles like some starter engagement issues, but I worked through the various problems with the help of a few astute hemi people and of course with the help of the HAMB!

The engine has not been dialed in, but I just wanted to get it up and running so I could break the new valve train components in. It still needs to be timed and the carbs dialed in to idle it. But it runs and there's no snap, crackle, grind, boom type noises! WOOHOO!

The first video is low quality and is of the official successful fire up. The second video is much higher quality.

:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big special thanks to Gary Stauffer (73RR) of Quality Engineered Components for helping me with so much of this, as well as my boss Mark Woodward (MAW) for all his help and support. Mark had to deal with my distractions over this thing for the last couple years. Poor guy! :rolleyes:

I will get down to business with tuning and timing a little later though. I need to get this chassis completed so I can get some color on it, get it back together and finish this thing. Now that I've got a taste of what's in store for me, I will be REALLY jammin' to get this on the road.

I still have a few major parts to buy to make it drivable (clutch, hydraulic t-out bearing, drive shaft, brake plumbing, wiring, etc.) and just a TON of fab and finish work to get it where I want it. As long as I can stick to my schedule, I will try to put the frame in color before I put the body back on for the maiden voyage. I'll take that as it comes though.

Here's some pictures of where things are at beyond the engine stuff...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added a few leaves and spacers to the spring to get the rear end up so it doesn't have the "droopy butt" look going on. Should make a HUGE difference in how everything sits. All and all, it equates to raising the rear just over an inch. It also helped get the front end up slightly as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay! That's all I have for the moment! I need to get back out in the shop and do some work before I go home and celebrate with a nice cold brew!

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me get to this major milestone of the project! Now I just have the other 90% of the car to finish... :eek:

2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

4. jj mack

jj mack

Bad Ass!!!!
    Great Job Scooter!

JJ

5. B-Ray

B-Ray

congrats Scooter great motivation

6. Gator

Gator

That's really cool, I'm really digging the oval tank.

7. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I had to come in from the big wire job to check it out. Way cool! CongratZ!!!!

8. 73RR

73RR

Outstanding !

You do have it loaded up with ZDDP I presume???

9. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Looks Awesome!

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yaaay Scooter!! Congratulations on reaching this important (and intimidating) milestone!

11. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

awesome. congrats.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone! Been a hair-raising day for sure!! I'm one happy camper though! I can finally get a decent night sleep...

Running Joe Gibbs BR, break-in oil with the high zinc and added some Comp Cams cam break-in addative for safe measure. Expensive stuff, but I think it will be worth it.

[​IMG]

14. 31whitey

31whitey

Man....That has to be a great feeling...

nice job bro.....

15. George

George

16. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Scooter, Your car is going to be quite neat when you finish it. Glad to hear you have it up and running ! Sure wish I had a quick change for my "A" Modified . . . . . . .

41 Dave

17. Congratrs Scooter!!!

18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Good work Scott. Sound great.

19. sodas38

sodas38

Awesome just awesome!! Can't wait to see that body mounted on and in place.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks again everyone!

The firewords were at YOUR house, remember, Mr. Fireball?! ;):D

21. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

You did go big bucks on the break in oil... But that $$ vs something broken during the "break in" would be more costly! Good caution is good!

I want to see the artistic version of the 1st fire... Where is the cool edit job to cool toons? You've had time by now....

22. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

23. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow man what an accomplishment!! I bet you are really stoked! Now I need to fly you in to Tulsa when I get the holleys on the coupe and ready to start it!!!:D

24. Holy smokes scooter that is awesome! Right on!

25. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I am So smiling for you right now. You really suck!, but I am smiling for you!

26. That's some good news. Congrats.

27. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scoot,

Congrats on the car! It's looking and sounding great. It's been a blast watching you and your build over the last couple of years. I'm proud of you and how great you are doing. You are both talented and inspirational - keep up the great work.

Thor

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not only a great looking car, but a hell of a sweet sounding motor too - nice!

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

30. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

now its a real Hot Rod! way to go man, hearing an engine fire for the first time is a great feeling, like a huge weight finally being lifted off your chest.

sounds awesome buddy, i'll try to stop by tomorrow after the swap

Erik