Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Flathead Valve Tools; Choose Your Poison

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown49, Oct 10, 2009.

1. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I’ve been collecting old Flathead Ford/Mercury valve tools for a while. Hard to say how many companies jumped on the bandwagon to build devices to pull the valves & guides. Some samples are below; please post any pictures you have of other styles/brands.
    First off are these from KD Wilson. Lancaster, PA. I bought this set from a guy that bought it 30 years ago, from someone in Canada, and never used it. It was still in original box. Brochure in the box of all their tools dated July 1, 1938. Too big to scan and post.
    <O:p</O:p
    [​IMG]
    Next a set that must have been made before truth in advertising became known. This set, called a Speedy-King, made by Hastings Manufacturing Company in Hastings, MI. It’s also in original box with instructions sheet.
    Each side of the box reads “The Hastings Speed-King Valv-Tool will positively remove Ford Valve Assemblies without distortion, breakage or sticking. Guaranteed by the manufacturers to remove complete set with ease, in 15 minutes or less. No other tools required. Guess they didn’t try it on a 50 year old stuck motor.
    Set included a hooked handle fork, wire hook, angle plate and clamp band. I do not have the wire hook so if anyone on here has a set with the wire hook please post a pic of it. (TIA)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Called a Hydramek the next set is probably the Cadillac of sets offered back in the day. Made by TCM Manufacturing Company of Maywood, Illinois. I got it in the original wooden box complete with instructions and it had a parts list glued in the lid. It includes a hydraulic ram to force the valves/guides out of the block as well a neat Valve Assembly tool. This tool allows you to easily compress the valve spring to remove the keepers or re-assemble the keepers to the valve stem. A HAMBER (wessass) had a set for sale a while back; don’t know whether he sold it or not. Here’s a link to his ad:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358169&highlight=tcm+manufacturing
    [​IMG]

Old-Ford-Iron likes this.
  2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

For some reason I could not include all the info on my first post so heres some more:

The TCM Box lid list of parts
    [​IMG]

A Slide hammer made by All Power

[​IMG]

Misc spring compressors

[​IMG]

Jim Leis
    AKA Blown49

3. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/pdfs/K-D_valve_service_bulletin.pdf

Link to a site that posted the KD Valve Service bulletin.

I also have the KD 918 and 917 (not used) with box. The box is really rough shape but it is neat to have it. I have a set of older used ones that I have started to use with my motors. Its funny that I have some of the same spring compressors as well.

Snap On valve guide driver -- from my in use collection:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Here are my flathead valve tools. The hansford valve jack is cool and very strong and well built and I haven't seen another like it over the years. The long pry bar with the little nub for pulling the valve guide retainers works great, lots of leverage and strong. The valve guide driver has ford v8 stamped on it. I have several compressors and they all work fine.

Attached Files:

5. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Cool, what is that crazy 3 jaw puller thing?

6. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

That is the valve assembly puller. It is a Hansford Valve Jack from the 40's I was told. You compress the spring, drive the guide down far enough to pull the valve guide retainer with the long handled tool, put the 3 jaws over the valve head and lift the whole assembly out intact. It is a mechanical screw jack. I have been on the lookout for the directions for the Hansford tool if anyone has them I would like to get a copy and the box would be cool too.

7. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

31Acoupe,

I had heard of a Hansford puller but had never seen one, thanks for the picture and I will be on the look-out for one to add to my collection.

It seems as though if the head was broken off of a valve only the TCM, KD Wilson or the All Power slide hammer would remove the assembly.

I also have an OTC 455 pusher somewhere but can't find it to post a pic. It's similar to the All Power as far as the spreaders are concerned only it has a jack bolt between the jaws.

Also if you could would you measure the length of the handle on the Hansford and post it or PM me?

Thanks,

Jim

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks all for the cool pics.
    I'd love to see video of these tools in action!!

9. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I guess you could borrow some and make one:D:rolleyes: Or come to my shop with your videocam and we could practice on an 8BA i have that needs the valves still in it that need to be removed. My health won't allow me to do it alone.

10. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I also have this item (not valve related) I purchased about 7 years ago. Supposedly this was attached to the block, with the engine still in the car, and the cylinders were bored. Made by Hub City Iron in Rapid City, SD.

[​IMG]

11. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Jim....the handle is 18" long. Will PM you about the Hansford.

george

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The KD stuff is what I generally consider the best. Plomb, Snap On, and KRW also made good levers. A good addition is the KRW assembly tool, a device that looks like a wine bottle corker and allows you to assemble the valve units for installation as fast as your fingers can move 16 keepers.
    All tools that apply great pressure to lift the guide out are greatly helped by the multiple tools available to yank out the guide retainer without lowering the guide, as any way of moving a stuck guide down is about as hard as moving it up.
    The KD punch type usually works, then there are lever types that pull on the little hole and a fiercer one that grips the whole tab in a cam lock so you cannot be stymied by the hole tearing out.

13. banjorear

banjorear

I guess I'll need to post a pict. of my tools.

I've had great luck with the All Power slide hammer valve guide remover. Just watch your figures as that weight comes down. Ouch!

Thanks for posting this.

14. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Sykes Pikavant made a neat set in a fancy wooden box ,that did model As and v8s .It consisted of a very solid spring compresser that was fully adjustable ,valve guide punch ,pickle fork pry bar and a little wire keeper puller that looked like a surgical instrument .In 1986 I lent this exact set to Garry Wike in auckland ,new zealand , and now the thieving bastard denies it .

15. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

C443A347-17CF-492B-ACA4-114FCE35374C.jpeg C443A347-17CF-492B-ACA4-114FCE35374C.jpeg 1F836658-A967-46E8-8AE5-A797ED75A253.jpeg My apologies for reviving an old thread, but figured it made sense to keep the info together.

I need some help please identifying the tool above. It came in a box of Aussie mixed tools, mainly GM Holden stuff. Some googling suggests it’s a flathead valve (or valve guide) remover, but I am waaay out of my depth with flathead gear.

cheers,
    Harv

RICH B likes this.
  16. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

BTT.

Anyone identify this tool please? Suspect it goes over the flathead valve head to allow you to drive the guide out without whaling on the valve head, but I'm no flathead expert.

Cheers,
    Harv

17. roadsterlines

roadsterlines

It's probably a flathead valve guide removal tool, like you suggested. From a workshop manual on the four cylinder Ford side valves (Prefect, Anglia, etc): the split valve guide "is removed by means of a special tool which will prevent damage to the valve or valve guide." (I don't know if this applies to the V8 side valves.) Your tool looks similar to the one pictured in the manual.

18. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Thankyou - appreciated.

Cheers,
    Harv

19. Waz e James

Waz e James

Harv, Do you still have the Flat head split valve guide remover, it is to suit a Ford 8 or 10 prefect, early English, im looking for one and will make copies for club guys. [email protected]