Register now to get rid of these ads!

making a 4 door cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by calicruiser, Oct 10, 2009.

1. So, I picked up a pretty much stock 49 Plymouth Deluxe 4 door a few days ago. It is in great condition with new interior and fairly new paint although I dont care much for the color (british racing green w/white top). I am not going for a complete custom here. I would not have bought a 4 door if that was the case but I have a 2yr old and another on the way! So, I want the whole fam to be able to cruise in it. I am 32 and have been building bikes for the past 3 years. I just want the coolest 4 door that I can have!

This is going to be a looong process but I have ideas. I may do suicide doors on the back. How hard would this be to do?

Eventually I want to paint the car a different color and will move the taillights off the top of the rear fenders and move them lower along with the license plate. Basically just clean up the look of the car. Maybe shave the door handles and lower it a bit. Nothing crazy!

Annyone have pics of some nice looking 4 doors that have been mildy customized? OR do you think I am crazy for thinking about changing this car at all? thanks fellas. Here is my new girl!

josh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. roddinron

roddinron

Yes, that's a nice car, and I think any attempt to make it "cool" will just fall on it's face. That car is what it is, I like it, but it's a 49 plymouth 4 door, not a 49 merc.
    Your little girl likes it just the way it is, leave it alone.

3. i came across this 50 plymouth which I think is close to what I would want with this car.

[​IMG]

4. big creep

big creep

i say bag it i like it low. or just leave it alone? its nice anyway you look at it.

5. storm king

storm king

Upgrade the brakes, pinstripe it a LITTLE, and have fun with it. Later, I might trim the bumpers or do rolled pans with nerfs.
    Remember, the most uncool thing you could ever do to a Mopar is put something from a GM product in or on it.

6. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I agree! Doing a lot to make a "cool" car will not look right. I think it looks great the way it is. If it was my car (I kind of wish it was) I would consider painting it a different colour, but leave the roof white. Keep the thin whitewall tires, look for some custom style (speedway?) hubcaps, or maybe chrome wheels w/ baby moons. Maybe put in new carpet and paint/pinstripe the dash. Thats about it. You got a nice car there.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

skirts, a real spotlight, accessory bumper gaurds, maybe a visor. 2" blocks in the back. maybe some wider whites.

some vintage speed equipment on the motor.

suicide doors? what are you thinking? that's a nice old car... it would be a shame to try to make it something it is not.

8. blubomber

blubomber

Its a great car. There is one out here which is similar. In fact I am starting to like 4 door cars and I like yours. I have an 81 Malibu 4 door and an 81 Buick coupe but prefer the ease of getting into the Malibu and for digging stuff out of the back seat.
    Don't forget the Charger is now a 4 door and its cool (for a new car that is).

Attached Files:

9. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

Just brakes and tires, then drive the hell out of it! Maybe lower slightly, just dont get in to the "if I do this, first I need this" .

A very heavy metal flake job on the white top might work. I have see one car where they removed the vinyl top, painted that area only with the biggest flake I have see, and it made the car perfect, nothing else was needed.

David

10. retromotors

retromotors

Nice lookin' car.

You're right, the color scheme isn't working for me either, but I'm thinking it's the white top that's grating on my eyeballs. Possibly if they had used a cream or a complementary color that wasn't quite so "refrigerator" lookin'!:D

Or you might want to consider repainting the top to match the bottom color. I think the car would look better in one color - similar to your example pic.

As for the shaved door handles, I've never messed with them so I don't know. It looks nice, but I'd want to investigate the practical aspects of you and the family actually using whatever alternative operating system you arrive at.

Just my $1.47
    (I always try to give good value, the 2 cent guys are a rip!):rolleyes:

11. maybe the suicide doors was a little much;) forget I mentioned it!! LOL

12. now, in my eyes, that is tight as hell for a 4 door! Exactly what i was looking for! thanks man

josh

13. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Man, that thing is just bitchin. I wouldnt do anything more than just shave it and drop it, if it was mine. I kinda like the original color, too.

Aint nothin wrong with four doors. They're just two-doors that are two doors kooler!:D

14. Capt.Mike

Capt.Mike

I don't believe I would have the heart to put a torch to something that looks that good and has had so many hours of restoration already put into it. Upgrade the mechanics, change the roof color and enjoy it.

15. George

George

Any thing with a Hemi dropped in is cool, but you probably can afford one with a growing family.

16. oh and dont me wrong guys, I think this car is cool as shit the way it sits. I would not have bought it otherwise. I am just not one to leave well enough alone!! I promised the wife I would not do anything "major" to it for a couple of years. I just wanna drive it as much as I can.

Maybe some small touches on the inside, pinstripe on the dash or something.

17. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

lower it stripe it and call it a day......maybe suicide just the back doors?

18. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

It's PERFECT exactly as it is. How could you want different? Leave it alone. Perley

19. williebill

williebill

Don't suicide the doors..lots of work,and it doesn't change the cars look one damn bit..Plus your kids will be riding in the back...drive it and keep the mechanicals up to speed

20. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Wide Whites, lower it a bit, maintain it and drive it, wash and repeat! It's already a cool old car!

21. moparkevin

moparkevin

I have a "needs work" 49 Dodge That I may hack up, but your car is way too nice to do that to.. small mods if any...

22. thanks for all the opinions guys. I appreciate it! I will probably just lower it a tad and paint it a different color at some point. possibly some striping. that is about it! How hard is it to lower? Never done it before.

thanks
    josh

23. It's a old car it's already cool!

24. Orn

Orn

Slam it, a set of wide white wall tyres, visor and skirts then you got the bomb ;)
    But that’s just my $0.02

[​IMG]

25. now that looks alright~

26. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

cool ride josh! i rock a family cruiser 4-door too!

27. I know you said you were going to keep it "mild".... I'm sure these are more work than you want to do, but I figured I would add some more custom examples of '49 Plymouth 4 doors... because I promote cutting up perfectly good cars to make cool customs.:)

Check out this one on Rikster's site-
    [​IMG]
    http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_...cars/40s-50s_built_plymo/leroy-french-1949-p/

... and this one used to be a 4 door '49 Plymouth-
    [​IMG]

28. 33Master_Eagle

33Master_Eagle

I have to say your car is way to beautiful to do anything to it except maybe lower it and put wide white walls on it.

29. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

x1000

Start there! Nothing wrong with 4 doors.

30. my47soto

my47soto

I think she is gorgeeous just the way she is, just lower her a little bit and call it a day.