Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #21
49ratfink
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Jag XKE Custom Hot Rod?

this looks like the one. it got changed later.

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
docc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredENewman View Post
I remember running across a guy on the boards who had a thread bout his custom/hot rod Jaguar XKE. I have been looking around and cannot find it using the search. Anybody remember the build up thread? It's a project that I am looking into now and doing the research part before I purchase an XKE.
I've done a couple of E Types..with SBFs. Are you planning on a swap ? Do not use a SBC..major frame mods will be required. The SBF can fit between the upper frame tubes.

PM..if you have some questions.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #23
yoyodyne

How/where can I find more on this car? Owner's name? Photos?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #24
The Brudwich

i forgot what issue or even what year (mid/late-60's?), but Hot Rod magazine did a ford 289 swap feature. Totally awesome. From what I recall, they said the 289 just barely fit in terms of height--no hood cutting necessary--, and that the swap made sense because jaguars come stock with ford transmissions. Would love to see a period sixties build here on the HAMB.

It was Hot Rod annual 13, so it would be '72 or '73.

Last edited by The Brudwich; 10-14-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #25
metalshapes
Tech Editor

Some modified E Types I like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	c424-bw-remote.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	777657

Name:	rao1974_0800.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	777658

Name:	cwn1982b_0351.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	777659

Name:	Picture381.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	777660

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	777661

Name:	0451_PNWN08.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	777662

Name:	2144837470051671230S600x600Q85.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	777663

Name:	ja.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	777664

Name:	jag2 c.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	777665

Name:	Snoopy-1-Plum.jpg
Views:	1671
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	777666

Name:	snoopy.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	777667
Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #26
AlfredENewman
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ratfink View Post
this looks like the one. it got changed later.

I think that red XKE is the one, but the pictures didn't show up. I just was able to read the build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodladycrusr View Post
You and other "lurkers" can learn from this, if in fact you were registered on the HAMB when you read that thread, and made a comment on the thread, you would be able to find it extremely easy.....OR you could have hit the subscribe tab and it would then be in your subscribe folder for easy reference....just saying.
I appreciate the info. I googled and came across that specific thread a long while back. I was only looking for that specific topic since I had a an XKE. Either way it is really irrelevant, unless you can loan me a time machine. Then I will be glad to go back and leave your note for "past" me to register for the site, instead of losing the bookmark. It always seems that someone on a board tries to show coolness through replying OT about the "Newb" or codes the Search function in a "Here it is Link" or "proper ettiquitte". The reply post above is pretty OT in my opinion and really not contributing to the discussion. Thanks though, but not my first time on an automotive forum or the interwebz. As for the rest I appreciate the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgas View Post
That Black XKE above got me to start looking for a Coupe instead of a roadster. Unfortunatley when I tracked down a complete minimal work example, it had already been sold. The seller does have a ton of Caddy's a few interesting 50's to 60's American cars for sale. But they are too much for me to get running or restore. My questions are the engines, drivetrains, rear diffs etc worth to get for any future rods/custom projects? Anything special in those years or model ranges I should look for? I've seen a few budget rides (Chev/Ply) that were pretty cheap and wondering if a Cadillac engine, drivetrain etc would be worth the swap or any added benefit.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #27
rdefabri
Grenade Inspector

I own an E-Type (the "proper" name of the car) - they aren't really that expensive compared to contemporary marques (I mean Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche, etc.). The parts are readily available, and many "generic" grade replacements exist. The cars are quirky compared to American iron, and the electrics are horrible.

I agree with Docc - use a SBF.

Metalshapes posted some wicked looking E's modified for strip use. Since these cars are rust buckets, you can get a tired FHC (coupe) for nothing and drop in the SBF (relatively) easy.

One of my favorite Funny Cars from my youth was Shel Konblatt's Snoopy. An E-Type FHC that looked fantastic (but didn't perform as well). Perfect oddball car to hack up into a hot rod IMHO - so long as it's a ratty example.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #28
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredENewman View Post
I remember running across a guy on the boards who had a thread bout his custom/hot rod Jaguar XKE. I have been looking around and cannot find it using the search. Anybody remember the build up thread? It's a project that I am looking into now and doing the research part before I purchase an XKE.
Don't know about an E Type Jag but I would give a testicle for a Lister (sp?). or maybe a 3 wheeled Morgon. But I don't know if I could bring myself to butch one.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #29
BulldawgMusclecars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brudwich View Post
i forgot what issue or even what year (mid/late-60's?), but Hot Rod magazine did a ford 289 swap feature. Totally awesome. From what I recall, they said the 289 just barely fit in terms of height--no hood cutting necessary--, and that the swap made sense because jaguars come stock with ford transmissions. Would love to see a period sixties build here on the HAMB.

It was Hot Rod annual 13, so it would be '72 or '73.

Is that true of the earlier ones? All the later XJ and XJS models I remember seeing in junkyards had TH400s in them, though I don't recall what bolt pattern they had.
Acworth, GA
http://www.bulldawgmusclecars.com