Register now to get rid of these ads!

Huge Stash of Early Doane Spencer Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cargo, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Cargo

Cargo

Okay guys, this is going to sound like one of those barn find stories. I went to an estate sale this weekend and bought a load of old darkroom gear. In the pile of stuff as I was cleaning it out I found some old car photos. Before I continue I want to say I am sorry, I am not going to have time to go through and scan some of these so you all can see them, I just tried to do a couple and managed only one of them.
    So........Turns out this gentleman who passed on and took the photos was a personal friend of Doane Spencer. In his darkroom was an invitation to Doanes surprise birthaday party etc. One of the pictures that is printed is the Sunbeam Tiger that I believe Doane either built, or was very involved in, and it appears to be in Doanes shop.
    There are tons of negatives, I mean a TON that I have been looking at and it gives me chills, there are a bunch of El Mirage "1947" pics. There are cars I have never seen in any publication or book.
    So I am going to attach the scan that I got just now, and hopefully add a couple more this week. I am very interested in knowing more about the cars if anybody can help, and I want to share this little chunk of photo history with all of you.
    Here is the one I was successful at scanning. Anybody recognize anything?

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Sounds like you've unearthed a treasure trove of hot rod history. Glad that you recognized them for what they are. Hopefully one of the photo historians here on the HAMB can help you sort and process them. I for one can't wait to see what you've found! :)

Stogy likes this.
  3. froghawk

froghawk

Wow, what a great shot! Pretty wild radiator shell on that car; weird but kinda cool.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Sounds like you have the makings for a really neat coffee table book.

Stogy likes this.

5. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

The car you show is Fred Vogels old car. Raced by Max Balchowsky. It had a LaSalle V8 in it.
    He did have other engines in it also, would just have to know the year.

Stogy likes this.
  6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

This is an incredible find! More, we want more!!;):cool:

Stogy likes this.
  7. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Wow!!! You definitely have uncovered a treasure trove! Keep us posted.

Stogy likes this.
  8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

From the distinctive grille, I'd say this is the '32 roadster that Max Balchowsky ran in SoCal road racing in the early '50s. It was initially powered by a flathead Cad, and I believe that it later ran with a nailhead Buick engine.

Of course, the shop sign reading "Jimmy Summers - Custom Automobile Bo" is historically significant all by itself.

There are some professional photographers here on the HAMB. Possibly someone among them will be interested in sorting and/or printing what you've unearthed.

Stogy likes this.
  9. CHOP36

CHOP36

this looks like the 32 ford max who built the old yellar cars built.by the round grille shell

Stogy likes this.
  10. McFly

McFly

wow...insane!

Stogy likes this.
  11. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Doane and Jimmy Summers were good friends back in the 40's. I've read about various trips they took around the country together.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

You found this stuff in Bellingham, Washington? Crazy....just crazy. You should think about doing a book. John

Stogy likes this.
  13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Maybe try to find someone that has the time to scan them, someone that you'd trust them to for a few days...
    they should be cataloged and stored digitally as to not handle the negatives more than necessary...use great caution with the negs.
    Maybe later you can either post them here, make a book, or whatever....but they do nobody any good if they end up in a drawer.
    I've dealt with historical negatives for many years and the biggest tip I can offer you is (besides being careful)...check the backgrounds carefully...the people, signage, other vehicles, people, even the time of day (shadows)...they all give you small clues that will help you get more info.
    Sometimes the backgrounds have a real treasure just sitting there...a real classic...
    take good care of them....
    we sure would like to see them someday soon...somewhere:):)

Stogy likes this.
  14. Those pics need to be documented and shown to the hotrodding world. Ryans Blog, AHRF, TRJ etc.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Send them to me, I'll scan them.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Thank You for posting that picture, and hopefully you can share some more with us. Wow, what a "Mother Lode"you have unearthed ! I'll be patiently waiting right here at my monitor.:D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Stogy likes this.
  17. Elrod

Elrod

Subscribed to this thread and anxiously awaiting more details!! Awesome find. I hope you show these pictures to the world.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Not knowing what Max's car looks like, I can't dispute it, but the "S" in the front nerf bar tells me that it might not be Max's when this picture was taken.

In dirt track racing the letter in the nerf bar was the first letter of the owners
    last name.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

^^^^ I've seen a pic with an M where the S is here. ^^^^

Anyone know where that Vogel car is now?
    Or where last heard of?

Stogy likes this.
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

S = Summers?

Very cool. Can't wait to see more. You have the makings of a Rodder's Journal issue there...

Stogy likes this.
  21. 61TBird

61TBird

PLEASE have someone help you scan some more!!!

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  22. Wow!.....You never know what you will find at Garage/Estate sales, do you?

Stogy likes this.
  23. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

OK went looking for info that I had.
    I can see how you would think it was an M on there.
    I did see the S on the grill but Vogle had a V originally. Maybe he sold it to Summers?

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

I just gonna throw caution in the wind here and say this is going to be one of the BEST threads the HAMB has ever seen .

Am I going out on a limb ???

WOW Just WOW>> HOLYCRAPAMUNDATHISISCOOL.

Rome

40ragtopdown and Stogy like this.
  25. lorodz

lorodz

more pics .......

Stogy likes this.
  26. 296ardun

296ardun

Wow! I can't wait for more pictures...concur with everyone else, this is a real find, hopefully will be stored in AHRF, etc....

Stogy likes this.
  27. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

WOW....can't wait for more....what a find!

Stogy likes this.
  28. Cargo

Cargo

Holy smokes! I went out to the shop and just came back in, I have not taken the time to read each post, but it sounds like you guys are diggin this, and I saw some nice comments, thank-you. I wish I had more time, my boss (the wife) is coming back soon, but I scanned a couple more for you.
    The two shots of the track nose car are original old prints, really fragile.....I wear some cotton dark room gloves to handle em. How do you like the nose and tank on that baby? I think I have a third print that goes with it of the power plant, not sure yet if its the motor in that car or not-It's a built up banger motor with some kind of OHV conversion........I just have not had the time to look it over real close to tell, but I promise it's coming.
    The other shot is (I believe) the famous Tiger prior to getting the numbers on.....etc.
    I'm gettin chills every time I start digging...................

I hope these come out good, hell of a time getting the files down to the right size.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  29. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

That first one is Navarros car.
    Don't know the modified.
    Doane in his Sunbeam?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Stogy likes this.
  30. Wow! you really got a good score with those, please take the time to scan and post them (as time allows) as vintage pics are always appreciated by everyone here.

Didn't Summers to the custom work on the Vogel roadster? It was nominated as one of the 75 Deuce icons.

Stogy likes this.