Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Our Icons of Speed & Style Weekend Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Oct 1, 2009.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

As soon as I found out about the RM Auction of Ralph Whintworth’s collection I knew I had to attend. I really wanted to see those cars up close and personal before they all headed off to parts unknown, some into private collections of which who knows when/if I’d ever be able to see them again. Megan and Scott decided it was a good idea so the three of us made plans for a long weekend in sunny, and extremely warm, SOCAL.
    The three of us had seats together but the plane wasn’t full so we girls kicked Scott out of our row so we could gossip and talk hot rods in comfort.
    [​IMG]

Poor Scott [​IMG]

Megan spent some time playing with her GPS as well.
    [​IMG]

Once we landed and picked up our rental car we headed straight to Megan’s favorite California restaurant, In & Out Burger.
    [​IMG]

Because it was extremely late in our Michigan time zone we were beat so we headed to the Bed & Breakfast we were staying at which was located less than two blocks from the Petersen Museum where the auction was going to be held. We had a quick sleep, some had to use these.
    [​IMG]

The next morning we did a little exploring of our B&B. It was a really cool old home built in the 20’s I would imagine, very art deco but the owner had it decorated in far east/kinda cluttered way. I could do wonders with the place if only given the chance.

Megan posing in the library. The red door is the front door.
    [​IMG]

The ceiling in the foyer
    [​IMG]

The light fixture in our bathroom
    [​IMG]

The front of the house
    [​IMG]

So it’s off to Dupars in the Farmer’s Market where we were meeting some pals for breakfast
    [​IMG]

AJ, AKA Fbomb, Me and Scott
    [​IMG]

Brian, AKA CrazybackyardBuilder, Megan and Roby, AKA RBRoadster
    Yes, Megan had blueberry pancakes AND wore her now imfamous “pancake shirt”
    [​IMG]

After breakfast we headed to the Farmers Market for a brief visit
    [​IMG]

Megan wanted to check out this bookstore. Low and behold come to find out our buddy Bad Bob is a published author. Been holding out on us huh Bob??
    [​IMG]

A lot of very interesting titles in there. The clerk didn’t want me to take any photos….too bad, I’m a HAMB Hoodlum.
    [​IMG]

We then headed over to Masterson Customs for a tour.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

For those that aren’t aware, Masterson’s is located in Barris’s old shop location
    [​IMG]

Lots of neat old photos on the walls….
    [​IMG]

…and stuff in showcases…..
    [​IMG]

….and on shelves
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike greeted us warmly and gave us a little historical background then the grand tour
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the shops parts chaser and if I remember correctly it’s for sale.
    [​IMG]

This little beauty is going to be an exact replica of a famous custom when it grows up
    [​IMG]

If I remember correctly I think this is Brad’s personal wagon project
    [​IMG]

This is my buddy Alan Mays Riv project, Very cool!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neat little truck that’s being redone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another project in the works ( my camera is starting to act up??)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike had his eye on me, I couldn’t get it off the wall
    [​IMG]

We then walked across Atlantic Ave to their other shop where Mike’s soon to be finished Caddy was residing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have a guy there that does all types of interior
    [​IMG]

Brad’s Grandmothers ashtray is sitting next to a vintage couch in the lounge area.
    [​IMG]

Striping on one of the boys murses
    [​IMG]

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

About this time Germ pulls up to the back overhead door. Germ has been an internet pal of mine for almost 10 years, way before the HAMB for me. In fact, he’s the one who kept telling me that the HAMB was the place for me and not the street rod site I was hanging out on. I was resisting cuz the boys on the HAMB at that point seemed so mean to each other every time I went over there to lurk. Anyway, because of Germ I finally made it over here and the rest is history. So, as many times as I’ve visited CA Germ and I had never met. Well this time was different and I made it a point to stop for a visit.

Jack, AKA Germ was extremely pleasant, polite and reserved. We had a wonderful visit. It was so nice to finally meet him in person and I look forward to our continued friendship.
    [​IMG]

We bid everyone goodbye with plans to catch up later that night. We then headed over to the Petersen to check out the Icons of Speed & Style Collection. On the way there we passed the Art Museum with this “display” out front.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of permanent displays in the parking structure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just outside the main entrance doors……
    1960 GMC-Wayne Rail Dragster, hammer down price $30K
    The 1970 Ford C600E race car transporter behind it which was used by “Ohio George” sold for $10.5K
    [​IMG]

1961 Wagon-Master by Tommy Ivo hammered down at $190K
    [​IMG]

2007 “Showboat” Dragster recreation built by Bruce Dyda and Tommy Ivo,hammered down at $160K
    [​IMG]

Just as we were about the enter the building our good pal and resident curator Leslie Kendall stepped out. What a pleasant surprise for all involved.
    [​IMG]

In the front lobby of the Petersen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Located in the gift shop which now has a SoCal Speed Shop display
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took the elevator up and as soon as we stepped off we ran into Coby AKA Road Apple AKA Church:D, who was on his lunch break, I’m sure it was an extended lunch break. It was wonderful seeing you again sweetie and having the opportunity to hang out.
    [​IMG]

Also, thanks for the Church mag, it’s a wonderful addition to the collection and you should be very proud.

[​IMG]

As soon as you walked off the elevator and turned to the left this is the view you saw
    1968 “Johnny Lightening Special” Indy Car, hammered down at $75K
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

And kinda straight ahead was some cases with parts and engines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roth’s 1973 Honda hammered down at $20K
    [​IMG]

I didn’t see what these two pieces went for
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More parts and engines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1957 Chevy 2/3 scale Revell Show Rod, Mark bought it. I think this is like the 4th time he’s owned it over the years. It runs and drives…..
    [​IMG]

…and is the perfect size for AJ
    [​IMG]

We hadn’t made it very far when we ran into Dave Lindsey and had another nice chat and got caught up. Great seeing ya again sweetie!
    [​IMG]

1967 Shovelhead built and ridden by former Hell’s Angel president Bill Reid.
    [​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

1958 Little Nailhead Dragster
    [​IMG]

Lots of cool artwork also on the block
    [​IMG]

1937 Fiat Topolino “Bad Habit” Fuel Altered bought by Mark for a buddy of his in IN. Hammered down price $38K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ones in the crate, including the crate, went for $2K
    [​IMG]

Mysterion recreation built by Dave Shuten hammered down at $90K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then ran into Chuck Vranas and once again had a very pleasant conversation. We’re seeing just as many car pals as cars themselves. Great seeing ya bud and hanging out.
    [​IMG]

1926 Ford A/Modified built by Tom Hensley from Phoenix in 1954/55. Hammered down at $20K
    [​IMG]

Cases with parts all over
    [​IMG]

I then took quite a bit of time checking out the 1967 Roth Mega-Cycle restored by Fritz. Hammered down @ $55K and purchased by Mark. This is the 3 or 4th time he’s owned it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1971 Micro Midget
    [​IMG]

I then checked out Roth’s “Druid Princess” which was found and restored by Roth’s son Darryl and refinished by Fritz. This was the last of his show cars and one I’m not a fan of. I think the child’s coffin on the back is creepy and sad. Purchased by Holly's boyfriend Scott for $185K.

See the glass doors in the above photo? There’s where the tents start that hold the rest of the cars. You needed a wrist band to make it any further as there was always a door person there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first tent had only had the 1965 Dodge Little red Wagon. Hammered down for $500K. They really had it displayed nicely.
    [​IMG]

Before you got to the main tent there was this really nice “patio” set up with cars, tables and chairs with umbrellas, very cool place to hang out at and soak up the atmosphere.
    [​IMG]

1950 “Cool Merc” custom hammered down for $62.5K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1952 Harry Bradley “LaJolla, purchased by HAMB member Holly AKA CarGurl for $22.5K an will be seen cruzn around the Hersey PA area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1949 Olds 76 mild custom, hammered down at $26K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Now I enter the big tent and it was spectatular. There was tons of spacing between the cars which allowed each car to shine without one overshadowing another. The only thing that really sucked was the lighting and the floor covering choice which lead to poor picture quality with my little snapshot camera.
    [​IMG]

1929 Ford Model A Sadd, Teague and Bentley Roadster hammered down @ $110K
    [​IMG]

Roth’s 1973 Secret Weapon Trike
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1923 Ford “Big T” roadster pickup hammered down @$45K
    [​IMG]

1932 Ford “Eclipse” RPU built by Ray Fahrner and won Best of Show at the Detroit Autorama in 1960. Purchased by Holly boyfriend Scott for $77.5 and will now reside in MD
    [​IMG]

1940 Valley Custom hammered down for $210K. One of my favorites of the event for sure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1929 Ford “Silver Bullet” roadster built by Boyd Coddington hammered down @ $38K
    [​IMG]

1929 Ford AV8 highboy roadster built by Bob DeBishop hammered down @ $30K
    [​IMG]

Ran into Mike and his lovely wife. Thanks so much for making the effort and coming up and introducing yourself. It’s always fun to meet new peeps and chat. Looking forward to seeing you both at the Jalopy Showdown in May.
    Dave Lindsey AKA SoCalCarCulture, Me, Mark, Mike’s lovely wife, Mike AKA atomic age, & Megan
    [​IMG]

Does it get any better then this? Not in my book.
    Designed by Harry Bradley and built by the Alexander Brothers, 1965 Dodge Deora concept car hammered down @ $295K by someone from the Detroit area. I’m thrill it’s going to reside in this area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

1960 Adonis clone built by John Schleicher went for $30K, man what a deal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There’s John in the background. Not sure if he lurks on the HAMB or not but it sure was fun walking around with him and talking hot rods and customs
    [​IMG]

1964 Roth Road Agent restored by Mark Moriarty hammered down for $170K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1940 Westergard Mercury went for $75K
    [​IMG]

1967 Bennie “The Wizard” Osborn Top Fuel Dragster sold for $130K
    [​IMG]

1925 Mackenzie T track roadster hammered down for $30K
    [​IMG]

John D’Agostino’s 1961 Ford Thunderbird “Firestar”hammered down at $29K
    [​IMG]

Larry Watson’s 1958 Ford Thunderbird sold for $50K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I could’ve taken one home this would have been it, hands down
    1932 Ford Khougaz lakes Roadster hammered down for $195K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We ran into Speedy Bill and chatted him up abit
    [​IMG]

1932 Ford “The Avenger” hammered down for $160K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DOC.’s all time favorite….1850 “Boothill Express” sold for $115K to a guy in the Burbank area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1956 Roth Outlaw clone by Fritz hammered down at $60K
    [​IMG]

The Alexander Brothers 1931 Model A Pickup “The Grasshopper” hammered down @ $130K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1969 Mustang “Mr Gasket Gasser” hammered down @ $120K
    [​IMG]

The much talked about ’70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 convertible hammered down at $240K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The Chuck Miller built 1967 Ford C-Cab Fire Truck sold for $82.5K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

“Big John” Mazmanian 1961 Corvette hammered down @ $225K
    [​IMG]

1951 Tom Beatty Bellytank Lakester sold for $190K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1916 Model T “Trojan” sold for $110K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1935 Ford pickup built by Rudy Rodriguez sold for $50K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1930 Sonny Mazza Roadster was purchased by Holly boyfriend Scott for $52.5K
    [​IMG]

By this time I’m walking around with Mark once again and we head outside to check out the cars in the part of the parking structure that’s next to the tent.
    1920 Ford Model T “Fronty” Racing Car built by Mike Guffey
    [​IMG]

1936 Ford 3 window sold for $63K
    [​IMG]

An extremely low mileage ’39 Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan that use to belong to Mark sold for $47.5K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

A couple of Roth trikes’s…..I don’t know what the “Tree Viper”, the one of the left, went for but the “American Beetle” on the right went for $3.3K. Unfortunately the bidder’s assistances weren’t as observant as they could have been and there was some confusion at the end as to who was bidding and who won the bid on this one. It seems like there we two bidders in close proximity to each other. Anyway, Dave Shuten did not win the bid for Junior even though at first he thought he did…..bummer. 
    [​IMG]

1923 Model T lakes Roadster built by Art Gerrick sold for $24K
    [​IMG]

1965 Ford E100 Econoline Van converted by Von Dutch sold for $18K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1936 Deluxe 68 Roadster sold for $39K
    [​IMG]

1933 five window sold for $30K
    [​IMG]

1956 Chevy 210 sold for $40K
    [​IMG]

1941 Ford “Jack Stewart” custom sold for $25K…I couldn’t really get a better photo of it. 
    [​IMG]

Mark had to then do some press work I guess so John and I headed inside to check out some of the cars inside the Petersen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos of black cars in this setting just turn out crappy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few of us then decided to get something to drink. Very cool that a Johnny Rockets had just opened adjacent to the Petersen
    [​IMG]

….and Megan got some cheese fries
    [​IMG]

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Holly and Scott
    [​IMG]

We then went back upstairs for another look around……….
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

…….then headed out spotting this in the parking structure
    [​IMG]

We decided to take alittle drive around before heading back to our B&B to freshen up for the evenings festivities. We headed into Hollyweird. LOVE seeing palm trees.
    [​IMG]

This looks like a place we need to check out next time we’re in town. Anyone have any food review on it to share?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We drive around for about an hour then changed and headed back to the Petersen. It was really nice staying so close. Sure beats changing in the car.

Someone arrived to the party in style
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our little group
    [​IMG]

Speedy Bill holding court
    [​IMG]

Of course there are going to be a lot more people shots then cars cuz it was a PARTY after all!
    Dave Shuten, Marty and Megan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

The band was GREAT, but for some reason no one was dancing? I guess it wasn’t that kinda party.
    [​IMG]

The Ladies of the HAMB that were present
    CarGurl, HotRodladyCrusr, ChevyGirlRox and FBomb
    [​IMG]

Did I mention it was an open bar with wonderful horse-durves?
    [​IMG]

Mike Alexander, what a great guy!
    [​IMG]

We had a nice chat and he gave me this really cool pin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course us gals had to have our butt squeezed….I mean our photo taken, with our pal George
    [​IMG]

George chatting up Megan and Brad
    [​IMG]

Ran into Keith Weezner. Nice seeing ya again sweetie. See ya next weekend at the PileUp. Bring lots of hoodies as it’s already really chilly around these parts.
    [​IMG]

After the party ended….us hard core folks were still milling around, the RM boys started moving the cars around and getting them into position. One of them hopped into the Olds so I did too and we went for a ride!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We weren’t the only ones still hanging around
    Sando, me and Verne. Nice chatting with you boys. I really enjoyed myself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So by now it’s about 11pm and we decide to head out to a deli to get a late night bite.
    Megan rode with Brad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video here

We head over to a deli and believe it or not had to wait about 10 minutes for parking places…..at 11pm!
    [​IMG]

Brad’s spot could not have been more perfect for his car.
    [​IMG]

Did some window shopping on the way. Scott’s a woodworker and really liked this bed so I took a photo for him as he’s going to try to make it
    [​IMG]

The chest of drawers are pretty nice too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HOLY SMOKES! How am I supposed to chat and read the menu at the same time???
    [​IMG]

I decided on a French Dip, it was HUGE, only ate half. Should have split it with someone. Was expensive too at $14…BUT it was extremely tasty!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While we were standing outside bidding everyone a good night Brad was showing us his “pocket tool” which was given to him by Bill Hines after Bill used it for 60 years!!! What a treasure!
    [​IMG]

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

A real California cruiser drove by as we were standing there. It's tuff to see in the photo but it was really blinged out.....comicly so :eek:
    [​IMG]

Well, maybe one more drive
    [​IMG]

We all called it a night as we were meeting up for breakfast at George’s early in the morning before we cruised to Harvey’s Broiler.

Stay tuned as the rest of the adventure is coming shortly.

Yeah, it needs some editing too but I've got to work at LEAST alittle bit today;)

18. Where's the rest of the trip Denise???
    Woops---- There it is!!!!!!!!!!

19. DAmn am I sorry I missed this one......but you looked good on live feed...........

20. cruzr

cruzr

Dam.........wished i woulda went, with those prices i probably woulda bought something

21. I have been looking forward to this post.
    That little Studebaker truck has Bill Hines written all over it.
    You and Megan are still my heroes and thanks for posting.
    I'm trying very hard not to be jealous.
    I am happy I just got to California this year.

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Prices seemed low to me, compared to some outrageous Barret-Jackson stuff. I mean for just a little more cash than my new HHR, I coulda bought this........

1926 Ford A/Modified built by Tom Hensley from Phoenix in 1954/55. Hammered down at $20K
    [​IMG]

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks bud, we missed you there. Hope you're feeling better

Sorry to hear you weer in the hospital. Wish 32gal would have joined us. Hope you're feeling better as well.

Might have been alittle tought to fit the groceries in. ;)

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know, if I would have know the La Jolla could have been bought for that much or the Tom Hensley for $20k I would have gone and picked one of those up!!! You snooze you lose I guess.

Thanks Denise. I love your life!!!

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Thanks for the mention on the IVO "SHOWBOAT"

Bruce Dyda

26. Rikster

Rikster

Great Coverage Denise.

As always!

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, shoulda, coulda, woulda ;)
    Everyone needs to keep in mind that if there were more people in attendance bidding on cars, of course the prices would have been higher. All there needed to be was one other person there that really wanted the LaJolla for instance and who knows where the hammered price would have ended up.

My pleasure, credit where credit is due if in fact I know or have the information available to me.

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It's funny that you should pop up on this thread as I thought about you as I was standing there checking out some of these cars and thought to myself that Rikster should be here.

29. 1950jax

1950jax
    BANNED

Thanks for posting the pictures. I enjoyed them all.:cool:

30. Excellant as usual Denise.....I really enjoy your coverages...
    (of car related stories..Heheheheehe)