Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
petritl

Default How do you free a stuck lifter?

My friend has an extremly nice 1969 Cadillac Eldorado with a 500ci engine.
The car has been sitting for the last 20 years I have known him. Over the last couple of days we have gotten the engine to run but it has a very bad miss. I found two cylinders that have no compression after the valve cover was removed we noticed the intake rocker arms don't move on the two cylinders with no compression ( large pushrod to rocker arm clearance). If you crank the engine over and hold the push rod down you can feel the lifter go up and down on the cam lobe.

Any advice ?

Last edited by petritl; 09-26-2009 at 03:24 PM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
tommy
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: How do you free a stuck lifter?

Rislone oil additive. My buddy let a 65 Pontiac sit for a while and it would not pump up the lifters at first. It would hardly run. Put some Rislone in it a took it for a spin around the beltway. It took two exits before they all finally pumped up and it was purring like a kitten when he returned. It worked for us.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
440shawn

Hi, as tommy mentioned the Rislone works well, you might see if a friend has a hydraulic lifter pull or you can buy one for about $25.00 pull it out and give it a good cleaning. Good Luck
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
yekoms

Yep, see above posts... Some lifters have a wire clip and they can be takin apart.
Smokey
Old 09-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
fab32
Alliance Member

One more on the Rislone. Only thing I'd add is not drive it after adding the Rislone. Instead start it and let it idle for about 20 minutes, giving it a gentle rev every few minutes. You might also put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to raise the temperature a bit. Watch the temp gauge and if it starts to register hot remove the cardboard. I'm betting after awhile the lifter will free up and be just fine. Also after the Rislone treatment don't wait too long before changing the oil and filter. a couple days local driving is all I'd recommend.

Frank
Old 09-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
32SEDAN

Also had luck with mystery oil. Then change as recommended above.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Fordor Ron

I know a guy who is a certified tech at Nissan and is generally a good mechanic. I had a Maxima that had a lifter stuck and he poured a quart of transmission fluid in the oil, let it idle in the shade for about an hour, then changed the oil. Worked like a champ. I think you can do the same with Marvel Mystery Oil.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
73RR
Old School HAMBer

In the 'old' days, we put a 50/50 mix of oil-diesel in the crankcase and let them idle for a bit. Sometimes would run 2-3 cycles with a fresh oil filter each time. But that was in the days of high parafin and low/no detergent.
It should do the same 'cleaning' job on a varnished lifter.
Amazing how much crap would come out of the oil pan.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/Hansen.pdf
Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
69fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by petritl View Post
My friend has an extremly nice 1969 Cadillac Eldorado with a 500ci engine.
The car has been sitting for the last 20 years I have known him. Over the last couple of days we have gotten the engine to run but it has a very bad miss. I found two cylinders that have no compression after the valve cover was removed we noticed the intake rocker arms don't move on the two cylinders with no compression ( large pushrod to rocker arm clearance). If you crank the engine over and hold the push rod down you can feel the lifter go up and down on the cam lobe.

Any advice ?
Just what are you trying to free up....? if you have "large pushrod to rocker clearance" and "the intake rockers dont move on the cylinders with no compression" and "you can hold the push rod down" and "feel the lifter go up and down"

Are you sure you dont have intake valves stuck open? the clearance in a lifter that has bled down, and doesn't pump back up is NOT enough to keep the rocker from moving at all...... lifters that dont pump up still run the valve, but do it nosily.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
petritl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fury View Post
Just what are you trying to free up....? if you have "large pushrod to rocker clearance" and "the intake rockers dont move on the cylinders with no compression" and "you can hold the push rod down" and "feel the lifter go up and down"

Are you sure you dont have intake valves stuck open? the clearance in a lifter that has bled down, and doesn't pump back up is NOT enough to keep the rocker from moving at all...... lifters that dont pump up still run the valve, but do it nosily.
The lifters seem to be stuck colapsed.the rockers move free on the rocker shaft
Old 09-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
Tenacious A
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fury View Post
lifters that dont pump up still run the valve, but do it nosily.
Yup, What he said
Old 09-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
jaxx
Grenade Inspector

Remove the valve cover - with the engine running the one that is stuck will be obvious - A T F in a squirt can - squirt it on the push rod and let it run down to the lifter - it WILL free it up if the spring inside the lifter is not broke - makes a bit of a mess but it works and is the cheapest fix that I have use - jaxx
Old 09-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
69fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by petritl View Post
The lifters seem to be stuck colapsed.the rockers move free on the rocker shaft
what you describe does not make sense. but if they seem to be collapsed, then ok. I'm just sayin. I'll bet you a coke that you have intake valves stuck partially open.

otherwise it would be too coincidental that only those cyls have no compression.......
and that the valve train doesn't operate.........
and that you said you had lots of rocker to pushrod clearance........

I've been wrong before, i'll be wrong again.....edit: SCRATCH THAT- turn over the engine- if the valve isn't moving and showing you a valve spring that is collapsing and returning, then your valves are stuck open. period.

Last edited by 69fury; 09-26-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
aussie oldie
Alliance Member

If you can feel the lifters moving up and down while cranking the engine and you have excessive valve to rocker clearance, I would suggest that you have stuck valves in the guides. Crank the engine by hand 'til you have the clearance and try to spray some lube on the valve so it will soak down between the guide and valve. Then tap lightly on the top of the valve stem with a light hammer. You may find the valve will free up and gradually start to move in the guide. As you tap down the spring should have enough tension to close the valve. Just go lightly with the hammer.
Just my 2c worth.
PS. Dont tap on the spring retainer or you may flick the colletts out.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
rd martin

old mech. i grew up with convinced me on the rislone for stickey lifters, shit works
online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #16
Hank37

Marvel Mystery oil worked for me.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #17
petritl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie oldie View Post
If you can feel the lifters moving up and down while cranking the engine and you have excessive valve to rocker clearance, I would suggest that you have stuck valves in the guides. Crank the engine by hand 'til you have the clearance and try to spray some lube on the valve so it will soak down between the guide and valve. Then tap lightly on the top of the valve stem with a light hammer. You may find the valve will free up and gradually start to move in the guide. As you tap down the spring should have enough tension to close the valve. Just go lightly with the hammer.
Just my 2c worth.
PS. Dont tap on the spring retainer or you may flick the colletts out.
Thanks! I'll take a look at valves.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
btmatt
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by reldridgejr1969 View Post
I know a guy who is a certified tech at Nissan and is generally a good mechanic. I had a Maxima that had a lifter stuck and he poured a quart of transmission fluid in the oil, let it idle in the shade for about an hour, then changed the oil. Worked like a champ. I think you can do the same with Marvel Mystery Oil.

Just did the same to a Dodge 318 a few months ago. Works good and is cheap.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
JB 472
FNG

First thing to try is ATF in the oil and run the engine hot. If that doesn't work you should pull the intake manifold. On the 500 Cadillac the manifold is dry (no coolant passages) and the distributor does not go through it, so pulling it is straight forward.

The lifters can be taken apart and cleaned. I did mine this summer and they were all full of sludge but cleaned up nicely. Just be careful with the little wire clip, it can fly away and you will never see it again (ask me how I know) and the clip can also get caught between the body and the piston as you are removing it.

I rinsed mine out with mineral spirits, reassembled, the pumped them up in a cup of motor oil. No rattles when I started the motor.....

PS - You know that the '68 and '69 Eldorados had first genration 472's???
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
cheapskate

Good advice already given on both lifters and stuck valves. A slight variationn would be to squirt carb cleaner down the pushrod (use the little red tube to hit the pushrod.) lightly tap the rocker arm at the pushrod end.Let the cleaner soak in the lifter for as long as your patience allows. Repeat this proceedure several times. Spray the valve stems as well. If you get some improvement, run the engine and tap lightly on the rocker arms at the pushrods and let it run. I have saved some teardowns doing this. Good luck.