Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC with Zips water pump riser in a '32

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowA100, Sep 18, 2009.

1. LowA100

LowA100

Does anyone know the part number of the lower radiator hose when using a water pump riser (w/ 6 cyl pump) in a '32 with a Walker radiator???

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Deuce Roadster will be here momentarily.

Frank

3. ...& maybe he will share the part numbers for the impeller & pop-off valve he uses.

I need to get mine sorted out too.

JH

4. I ain't Randy but he gave me the information when I was adding the zips on the 327 in my truck.

The lower hose is a Gates # 20225

The purge vent is a GM part # 10070107

And the impeller piece is from summit.

Hope that helps. HRP

Bluefox and falconsprint63 like this.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm setting up the Zip's riser in the '31 A roadster I'm near finish on building.
    If you go to Auto Zone and get their heavy duty pump, it'll have the plate already on the impeller and it's got a lifetime guarantee.
    They''ll more than likely come out first with a cast iron pump that doesn't have the plate on the impeller. Tell them to look further and they'll find the one listed as hvy duty. It has an aluminum body and has been tumbled to a bright, almost polished look. Price was about $85 IIRC. They had to order it, took a couple days to get it.
    Do a search and you'll find it, that's where I found it. Sorry I don't have the number right here, but the car is at the shop and I'm @ home drinking coffee!
    Dave

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D :D
    Only about 3 hours late :)
    Been out in the shop working while it was COOL this morning.

[​IMG]

I use the Gates 20225 bottom hose ( it has to be trimed a little )
    For the upper hose I use a Gates # 20046

The GM purge valve I like it is #10070107

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZIPS has a small screw in the top for purging the air but it is small and somewhat difficult to use. I like the larger and much easier GM purge valve :D

Now FlowKooler sells a 6 cylinder Chevrolet pump ... with the special impellar ... already ready for the ZIPS ... for $68.95 ... go here

http://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/catalog2/product_info.php?cPath=1_16_81&products_id=86

I like to use a Walker shroud and a big belt driven mechanical fan. Keeps my 32 running cool.

[​IMG]

The AutoZone aluminum pump number is BWP-386HDA ;)
    They usually have to order it.

Randy

7. Good info Randy.

Thanks for posting.

-Jim

8. LowA100

LowA100

THANKS FOR THE HOSE INFO.
    What does the impeller plate do?

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The impeller plate closes up the back and moves MORE coolant. FlowKooler claims ( copied and pasted ... directly from their web site )

FlowKooler pumps’ patented impeller design has helped stop engines from overheating and reduced engine
    temperature up to 30 degrees by doubling the flow of coolant through engines...

Original pump impeller design

[​IMG]

After the plate is installed

[​IMG]

It would be a very simple matter to just make a thin plate to pop rivet to the rear of the impeller. But I just went the easy way
    ( at the time ) and bought the plate from Summit. I bought 4 or 5 at one time ( a few years back ). They are about 5 or 6 dollars each.
    I do not know IF Summit still sells them. NOW I would just buy the pump already modified. :D
    Either the FlowKooler or the aluminum one from AutZone.

[​IMG]

10. f150k

f150k
    from USA

Question, can I run the small hose on the WP to the intake rather than back between 6 and 8?

11. touring20

touring20

I assume we are talking walker radiator here , right ? thanks for the info !

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The mention of a Walker shroud was by Randy, aka Deuce Roadster, now deceased, and missed BTW. But yes he also ran a Walker Radiator. He and I talked offline on the hone several times about cooling issues. Nice guy and very knowledgeable.

13. fatkoop

fatkoop

Can I safely cut off all the cast-in-place brackets that I don't need without ruining the basic riser? Don't need an AC or alternator mount.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't think you would hurt anything by cutting off unused brackets, but if you ever want to sell it, that may kill the sale. Hell, everybody knows you gotta have an alternator, so why hide it up under the engine where you have to stand on your head and hunch up like a monkey fucking a football to get to it?

15. any one got an answer to f-150k's question about running a hose between the pump and the intake manifold.

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not sure how that'd work. My car is over in my shop and I'm at home, but IIRC, the water pump connection is at a point of suction, and the intake manifold on SBC is a pressure point, both being as pump circulation is considered, not pressure from a pressurrized system. And the point on the head is also a pressure point, so it might work if I'm thinking right on the water flow patterns. Guess you could try it and see how it worked.
    But I'd use one of those little handheld heat sensing infrared guns to check it for even temps throughout the system.

17. The ever o thermostat housing is not good local. Balkamp 6051115 murry 84903
    The dorman bleeder is still good 902-112

18. I guess better late than never..this is on my sedan. . HRP 001.JPG
    Terrible photo but I'm sure you get the gist.
    003.JPG

19. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks for the info............