Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hi, guys. I've been watching the revival of an old thread where guys rae trying to remember TRULY EXTINCT :mad: American car makes.

FIRST, EXTINCT MEANS THERE ARE NO SURVIVING SPECIMENS OF THE CAR, MADE BY U.S. AUTO MAKERS, OKAY? NONE. ZIP. (NO SURVIVORS).

Now HERE is the dare :D : Try and find a PIC (or at least some evidence) that ANY of the following makes still have a survivng specimen, be it in a museum, private hands, etc. Remember, I did NOT make these up :eek: !!!

Royal Princess :p
    Everybody's :eek:
    Darling :rolleyes:
    Cutting :confused:
    Ben Hur :(
    Geronimo ;)
    Bobbie Kar
    Electrobat :eek:
    Gearless :confused:
    AC Propulsion :mad:
    Zip :)
    Beaver :D
    Dodo (yeah, the extinct bird name) :eek:

Again, these were REAL American car makes. Have at it!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
    32Rules likes this.
  2. 6berry

6berry

i gotta subscribe to this. never even heard of any of those names

3. codeblu

codeblu

A family member of mine Louis Hoffman manufactured the Hoffman Automobile in Cleveland Ohio from 1902-1903, only one example exists in a museum in Ohio. In Dec of 1903, the company was reorganized as the Royal Motor Car Company. On a side note, he was a Yankee prisoner in Andersonville during the Civil War.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

CodeBlu: Alright, it's already started! HOFFMAN? Cleveland once actually COMPETED with Detroit to be THE center of U.S. car production. But '02-'03 is REALLY easy. Wow. (Winton, Jordan, Peerless, etc.)

BTW, Andersonville was NO PICNIC, eh?

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

LostinOC! You DID it? That's a real Geronimo? So, is the 1917 date accurate? How long did they make & where was this original plant? SoCal?

Excellent work, bro! Can't wait to hear more about the Geronimo.

6. LostInOC

LostInOC

Published: July 27, 2009
    By Robert Barron, Staff Writer
    In 1917, Enid hoped to be the second Detroit
    Enid was once home to a successful car manufacturer along local hopes of being the second Detroit, according to automobile historian Bud Smith.
    Smith, who is president of Liberty Federal Bank, told Enid Rotary Club Monday about the Geronimo, which was manufactured in Enid from 1917 until 1920.
    It was a successful company until the factory was destroyed by fire in 1920, which put the company out of business.
    William C. Allen formed the company in 1917 and initially sold $500,000 in stock, a fortune for that time. They began production of the car at 409 S. Grand and the building still has the Geronimo name on it.

There also is one Geronimo remaining, and it is owned by the Enid Region of the Antique Automobile Association of America, which restored the car after it was found in a Kansas pasture.
    There were two models of the Geronimo built the 6A-45 and the 4A-40. The first had a six-cylinder 230 cubic inch Rutenberg engine that reportedly obtained 45 horsepower or a 55-horsepower six-cylinder engine. The second vehicle was a four-cylinder model with a Lycoming 166 cubic-inch engine that had 37 horsepower. The four-cylinder model sold for $895, and the six-cylinder model sold for $1,295.
    Among the other features were a high-grade motor driven horn, a complete set of tools, a motor-driven tire pump hooked up to the transmission and the hose was enclosed in a compartment behind a small door under the fender.
    Because of the popularity of the car, a new and larger plant was built on the “outskirts” of Enid at Cleveland and Oklahoma. The new plant was completed in the fall of 1917. The company purchased ready-made parts from specialty companies and assembled cars of their own design. At the January 1919 stockholders meeting, Allen was re-elected president and the company reported an additional $500,000 in stock sold for a total of $1 million.
    Employment varied from 40 to about 125 during the peak times of the company. The plan turned out one car a day. They also manufactured cars for France under the name “Wing.”
    By 1919 the price had also increased to $1,955 for one model. During the production, more than 600 Geronimos were manufactured and sold.
    The plant burned on August 14, 1920, and insurance covered only $65,000 of the $250,000 loss and the Geronimo Motor Co. was out of business.
    Allen sold everything to pay the bank, but managed to survive and eventually got into the gas business founding Allen Oil Co, a wholesale fuel company. He died in Enid in 1955 at the age of 80.
    Smith believes most of the Geronimo cars in existence were sold during World War II for scrap metal and there did not seem to be any Geronimos left.
    The Enid Chapter of the Antique Auto Club of America started looking for the remains of one, and in 1972, found a Geronimo in a pasture in LaCross, Kan. It had been in an open field for many years and was in poor condition. The manufacturer’s emblem was gone, but the car still could be identified.
    “The wood framework had rotted, but the fenders, cowl and frame and radiator were with the car and in fairly good condition,” Smith said.
    The car was returned to Enid where members of the club began a painstaking process of restoring the auto and now have it in running condition. The car is featured regularly in local historical events and parades.
    No foundation has been created to care for the car, but Smith said there are a number of benefactors who contribute to its upkeep.
    “Our reward is sharing this piece of Enid history at community events and with groups that come to Enid to see it,” he said.

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

How about an Apperson Jack Rabbit Made in either KOKOMO, IN. I believe this was a 1917.
    [​IMG]

8. LostInOC

LostInOC

Haha, my grandmother was from Kokomo, In. I have fond memories of visiting the steel plant where my grandfather worked. I believe Kokomo was the birthplace of stainless steel and the first push button car radio.

9. Tony

Tony

"Selden"

Here's a link to some info.
    I remembered learning about him in my early years in school.
    I guess because he was a local fella it was something they wanted us to know. I always thought it was pretty cool personally..
    He patented his "road-engine" in 1895
    pretty damn early, but there patent fight that insued with Henry Ford and Selden is interesting......

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jNGKB6mQmQIrwwGNw&sig2=uNSJyi_byskZhRaC2OSDXQ

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  10. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

The Ben Hur was an automobile produced between the years 1917 and 1918. It was built by L. L. Allen in Willoughby, Ohio. Around 40 cars were produced before May 1918, when the business went into receivership. <SUP><SMALL>[1]</SMALL></SUP>

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just this one I scribbled on for a Whatizit on another site. Honaycomb radiator ad electric lights and electric start in 1917. We ran across this on in Montana it and abotu 2 dozen other oldies of various makes were on a cross country tour. Apparently they trailored them around to different locations and then did day trips around the area.

[​IMG]

12. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

13. This is the only one like this I have ever seen or ever want to see again. Looks super rare!

[​IMG]

14. Now this one I was told is rare. Have to call the guy to get details. Sorry for the previous post.....
    [​IMG]

15. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Heres a small piece of my family history my Dad found when my grandfather passed away several years ago...Theres only a handful of cars that exist. We have several pics of them & the specks. I will try to find them all. My mom is still trying to find more about it cause my dads side of the family split waaay back then that is where things get lost & confusing....My side of the Babcocks are the ones from the Watertown & Carthage NY area...Regardless, its kool & something i hold close..Explains where my passion for old cars come from..lmao :)

http://www.american-automobiles.com/Babcock.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babcock_Automobile

http://wnyheritagepress.org/photos_week_2006/electric_autos/electric_autos.htm

16. 61TBird

61TBird

Bobby Car??? :D:D:D

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eMM8-cp3QiU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

17. retromotors

retromotors

Unfortunately .... not rare enough!:cool:

18. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

1911 Carroll. Built in Strasburg PA.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

Anyone ever see this???

[​IMG]

20. Kustm52

Kustm52

How about the Keller. Produced in Alabama, only 18 ever made. Not sure if there are any survivors...

Attached Files:

21. skincat

skincat
    from kokomo, in

• 1894 - Elwood Haynes makes the first successful trial run of his "horseless carriage" on Pumpkinvine Pike, which is now Boulevard east of U.S.31.
    • 1894 - The first pneumatic rubber tire was invented by D.C. Spraker at the Kokomo Rubber Tire Company.
    • 1895 - The first aluminum casting was developed by William "Billy" Johnson from the Ford and Donnelly Foundry.
    • 1902 - Kingston carburetor developed by George Kingston.
    • 1906 - The first Stellite cobalt-base alloy was discovered by Elwood Haynes.
    • 1912 - Stainless steel tableware was invented by Elwood Haynes as a response to his wife's desire for tableware that wouldn't tarnish.
    • 1918 - The Howitzer shell, used in World War I, was created by the Superior Machine Tool Company.
    • 1918 - The first aerial bomb with fins was first produced by the Liberty Pressed Metal Company.
    • 1920 - The mechanical corn picker was created by John Powell.
    • 1926 - Carl Molin developed Dirilyte golden-hued tableware.
    • 1928 - The first canned tomato juice was created by Walter Kemp from Kemp Brothers Canning Company in response to a physician's need for baby food.
    • 1938 - The first push-button car radio was created at Delco Radio Division of General Motors Corporation.
    • 1941 - Globe American Stove Company manufactured the first all-metal life boats and rafts.
    • 1947 - The first signal-seeking car radio was created by the Delco Radio Division of General Motors.
    • 1957 - Delco Radio Division of General Motors developed the first all transistor car radio.<sup id="cite_ref-26" class="reference">[</sup>

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

I grew up in Willoughby (long after this). I recall Ben Hur Avenue. I take it this is where the name came from.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

"A Little Odd" & "Cutlass Dude," now THAT is a classy bunch of guys you just wanna have over for Sunday dinner, eh?

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

"Kustom52," yeah, the Keller is a sad story. The man behind the company up & died of a heart attack in a NYC hotel, on the very eve of gaining major financial backing. So, on that handful got made, including sedans & stationwagons.

YES, I saw a pic of one down South a guy keeps in nice shape, so at least they survived! BUT SCARCE!!!

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

YoYoDyne, that 1911 CARROLL looks like it was a CLASSY big car -- quite nice & advanced-looking for 1911! Know if ANY survived?

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

"Pipes," THANKS for that post. ANY idea when the ad was published?

And, could there be a better car name than "GEARLESS" ??? Wouldn't THAT make you wanna hurry down to the nearest showroom & BUY? LOL

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yow, HotrodPackard! What is up with the grill shell on that black coupe? There's one that should probably GO extinct! lol
    [​IMG]

That little red runabout looks like early '20s & the grille sure rings a bell, but I can't PLACE it! ANYBODY help out there???
    [​IMG]

29. noboD

noboD

I was in the museum in Kokomo last summer. They have a recreation of THE first automobile made in USA there, a Hayes-Apperson. I think the date was 1894. A few parts of the original were used. There are sevral Apperson's in the museum. I've read there were over 5000 car Co.s in the US since the bigging, you guys will be busy for a while.

30. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

heres a little blurb I found..
    Gearless
    The Gearless Transmission Co.
    Rochester, NY
    1907-1908

The Gearless Motor Car Co.
    Rochester, NY
    1908-1909 The Gearless was an American Automobile that was produced by the The Gearless Transmission Co. and The Gearless Motor Car Co. from 1907 to 1909.
    The Gearless Transmission Co. was known for it's gearless transmission for light and heavy automobiles. In 1906 it was the only direct drive friction transmission.
    A friction transmission was very common on early 1900s Cyclecars but the Gearless automobile was a large car with large engines and this combination was very unusual. In their first year Gearless offered four cylinder engines rated at 50 and 60 horsepower. These powerful engines were used in five and seven passenger Touring Cars. Gearless-1908.jpg
    [​IMG]
    1908 Gearless Touring Car - Great Six - 60 Horsepower

In 1908 the Gearless introduced a six cylinder 75 horsepower engine called The Great Six. These engines were installed in Gearless automobiles called the Greyhound that had long hoods housing the engine and gearless transmission. Prices for the Greyhound was as high as $3,000.00. In March of 1908 The Gearless Transmission Co. reorginized into The Gearless Motor Car Co. and produced smaller and cheaper automobiles. The American Automobiles were called the Olympic and were equipped with four cylinder engines rated at 32/37 horsepower. The Olympic was offered in a gearless transmission and a conventional three speed transmission. Prices for the Olympic were $1650 for a gearless transmission and 1800.00 for a three speed.
    [​IMG]
    1907 Gearless Transmission Co. Magazine Ad
    Showing The Gearless Transmission Installed In Automobile Chassis

got this off of American Automobile