Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray: Still going...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Sep 8, 2009.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well.... I was going to wait, but I had a good weekend and wanted to share, so I guess I'll start around the point where I left off. This is going to be a small update, but thought I would share anyway...

Here's the last update...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373215&highlight=modified+murray

What the hell have I been doing, you ask (and some of you HAVE)? Well, lots of little annoying things. Weld, grind, repeat. Weld, grind, repeat. Weld, grind... you get the idea. All those little things that a person puts off until later to do. I still have a HUGE list of those things to take care of so I thought it was time to start messing with the Hemi some more to get some relief from the "daily grind" (and so I wouldn't go crazy working on those tasks, as well! :eek:). I'll get to the list of stuff left to do later...

So shal we begin?? :D

NOTE! A good chunk of these photos were taken with my cell phone because my camera's CCD decided to quit... TWICE! Didn't have a camera for over a month! It was like I was missing an arm!! I won't get started on that rant though...

Alright.... so I built drip rails for the roof insert. These are also receivers for the insert as well. There will be a seal that lines the bottom and drain holes with tubes in the four corners. The insert will have floating clamps to seat itself in the drip rails. As you can see, I still have some finish work to do on the rails though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking about the shape of the roof insert... A rough buck was made, but it's not worthy of show. Still need to finish it.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah! And part of the roof was driving me CRAZY! So I cut it out and wheeled a new piece and cut out the junk I didn't like. Made a huge improvement on the roof profile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's sort of deceiving because of the light reflections, but it actually all blends very well now.

[​IMG]

Obviously there is a lot more body work that needs to be done on the top end of the car, but I'm getting there one weld and grind at a time.

So then it was on to floors... That's right! FLOORS! Hold on! I have pictures of that too....

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Some really nice work there man. You know what I am liking??? The position and angle that the steering wheel is set right now. Sort of like 50's corvette.

I also see that the tank is mounted which I am not sure if I caught the final product. I think you should share that also.

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I stopped by Saturday after breakfast. Looks even better in person!!!!!
    Good work Scooter.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FLOORS AND TUNNELS!! Let's talk about THAT!! :D Starting to feel like a car inside now...

First thing first... I wanted to recess the oil filter into the firewall a bit. Didn't like how obtrusive it was to the eye.

(AGAIN! Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built some rear floor panels...

[​IMG]

Next, I needed a removable transmission tunnel so if the transmission had to come out then I wouldn't have to drop a crossmember or even get underneith the car, for that matter....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed all the space I could get for my feet with three pedals... A piece at a time I got it. Another HUGE thank you to Andrew and Dave Brudnicki for the shrinker/stretchers and e-wheel usage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I needed some removable floor panels to rest my feet on...

[​IMG]

This heel well will get riveted in place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the passenger side and rear tray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BEADS!

[​IMG]

More on floors. Hold on...

5. B-Ray

B-Ray

floors look great, and really like the heel well

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More on floors....

Finding placement for the Rivnut fasteners. Floors will be held in place with 10-32 stainless screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rivnutting....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screwed in place....

[​IMG]

While I was at it, I went ahead and finished mounting the steering blister also...

[​IMG]

So that about wraps up the inside. Next lets talk about HEMI!

Hold on...

7. Actually a ton of storage in that little thing!

8. Looking good man!! Are you going to use the Philips head screws or are they just temporary?

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So here was my big exciting stuff over the weekend and also the reason I skipped Primer Nats...

Funds were tight lately. The hot rod fund was dry so that required that I pick up some side work to keep parts coming. With money back in the bank, I got what I needed and got back to work on this elephant motor! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mock-up block pulled...

[​IMG]

In with the fresh motor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fan is right where I expected it to be and it will get a shroud to complete the package.

[​IMG]

The car definitely rides a little lower now. :D:D But I'll get that worked out... Oh, and thought she needed some new glasses as well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fitzee

fitzee

I know there in alot of time into these projects.Wish i could find time for much the same. Great work.Love this build

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "TO DO" List still MONSTEROUS! But I've made a big dent in it so far...

Just some of the big tasks...

* Set up the fuel system and get it fired up
    * Build headers
    * Raise the rear up a bit
    * Push bar and mounting
    * finish headlight stands
    * Mount seats and lap belts
    * Populate the dash with a ton of cool gauges
    * finish floor board mounting
    * pull body and finish welding the bottom
    * Finish all chassis tasks (welds, gussets, pretty stuff, brakes, etc.)
    * Paint chassis
    * Coat underside of body and interior panels
    * Put the body back on and set up the electrical, fuel, etc.
    * finish the rest of the welds and finish work
    * build roof insert
    * title and register
    * turn key and hopefully go for a drive!

Still need a butt-load of parts too! But only a few major ones to get it on the road! I'm getting close kids!!

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a profile shot somewhere, but forgot to load it. I'll get it up later. Here's an overhead shot in the mean time...

[​IMG]

13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Looks like I may have left some rusty hand prints on it Saturday...:D:D:rolleyes:

14. Another excellent report . Thanks!!!

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow!! I love it!! can I have the first ride?:D

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That last shot is the one that speaks to my heart Scooter. My god that thing looks nasty!!!!

I'd almost swear it was a coupe from that angle.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here you go man. This was from the previous thread. Pretty much still looks like this...

[​IMG]

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA!! This thing has REALLY been turning colors lately! I'm a little behind on the upkeep. Not good.

Thanks for everyone's good words!! I appreciate it a lot! Been a long road. I can really see the light now. Also thanks to everyone who has been supportive! You know who you are! :cool::cool: Means a lot to me!

Still a ways to go and the list of finishing details seems to grow 3-fold by the day! :eek: Tiring!!! But it will all get done!

Next big update will only be to let you know it runs! Then you won't hear from me until it's driving! So, this update will have to do for now.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! Not sure on the screws yet. I'm thinking it probably needs slotted screws. The Philips will stay for now to hold it all together, but I'm thinking slotted will look a little more correct and will also match the interior trim screws. Too bad slotted are such a pain in the ass!!!

20. HAHA I hear you I am going through the same dilema. I am mocking everything up with allen headed button screws but I think I may have to go with slot head as well as much as I cringe at the thought of tightening them up.

21. SteadyT

SteadyT

Scott this thing keeps getting radder!!!!!!!! I'm loving this thing!!!!!

22. Wow man great progress! This thing is really looking bad ass now. You should be proud.

23. tjm73

tjm73

That car is AWESOME!!

24. very cool, cant wait to see the finished product. love how the engine sits.

25. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Looks freakin' badass man!! Great work......now git er done!!!:D

26. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

hmmm. Decent.

XOXOXOX. I'm glad you hit that roof line. Your my hero.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always enjoy your progress reports. at the rate I' m saving money I'll be in California just about the same time you have this car finished.

28. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

That is looking so good. Glad you're getting down to the final stages Scott.

29. 31modelo

31modelo

Looks great, I'm always waiting to see progress on your car thanks for the update. Keep moving

30. Great detail work!