Register now to get rid of these ads!

How A Differential Works

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. belair

belair

Fun stuff-I acually learned a little. The principles by which things work are often lost as we learn more complicated things. The tinker toy model made it plain. Thanks.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I always thought it was neat how they worked. I understand them completely and all, but I remember being younger and mystified.
    Another cool deal to play with is planetary gearsets. I don't know who invented those, but pretty damn neat!

5. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

So that's how it works! Nice old piece.

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

There ya go, now everyone can tell which gears they need to "weld up" to make it a posi.

7. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

And produced by GM none the less! Now a days car companies don't want you to know how or why anything works or your car, you might...fix it! :eek:

I miss those simple how to articles from the old mags and little books! For the most part today the how-tos are so clouded with product placement it is hard to focus! I long for the good ole days when hot rodders were 'dumb' and needed edumacated :rolleyes:

Or maybe now they just figure everyone knows everything. Some stuff is definitely worth repeating!

Thanks for the gem of a video Ryan!

8. 38zephyr

38zephyr

In the old days they made things simple enough to understand , I sure enjoyed that !

9. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

I too miss those old articles, they helped me keep my cars running when I was in school back in the 60's. If they would bring them back I might renew my HR subscription.

Al

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I remember asking my grandather about this very thing when I was about 6-7 years old. He had an old differential center section laying outside of his shop and drug it inside to explain the "inner workings". After a few frustrating explainations (caused by my inability to keep my mouth shut and my eyes and mind open) he finally managed to get the point across. I remember him leaving it up on the bench for days after, so I could turn it over and let the "lesson" sink in. I owe him big time for his patience and willingness to teach me and hardly a day goes by that I don't think about him.

Frank

11. BLAKE

BLAKE

My Tinkertoys were made o' wood.:(

Very cool video.

12. 4woody

4woody

There is a lot of stuff I'd like to have explained like that. Great clip.

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Anybody ever watch Popular Hot Rodding TV? It was kind of a goofy show, but on every episode they had a computer-animated segment that explained some basic thing (differentials, camshafts, ignition systems, etc.) and I found them useful as hell. I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much basic information, and no such thing as an explanation that is too simple (as long as it's correct!).

I'm not good at finding things on YouTube, but if those videos are on the net somewhere I'd really appreciate it is someone posted the link(s). They've gotta be out there somewhere?

14. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Yeah, after seeing D.W.'s rear end guts hanging out at the HAMB drags it got me wondering how it all works as well....so how does a posi work?

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

16. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Try the auto section at howstuffworks.com. I've found that site to be very helpful in numerous life applications.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

When my rear end exploded last year I gathered all the parts in a box and dragged that box over to Scott's place where Matt AKA WhiskeyRunner from Ohio was going to be for the weekend, with alot of other HAMB guys as well. Matt and I sat down on the driveway with the box o stuff between us and he explained how everything worked, why it happend and answered all my questions. It's nice to have friends willing to do that. Just so happened most of the other guys stood around and listened to the explaination as well. Can never get too much learnin':cool:

18. belair

belair

How true-my 38 Chevy still had the owners manual in the glove box when I bought it-it was titled "Things You Should know About Your 1938 Chevrolet" -or something close. It had exploded views of the trans and other important parts, locations of all the grease fittings, etc. Now it's just a recommendation to go see the dealer. Different folks, different times.

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That will come in Jam Handy when it's time for my daughter to learn how a differential works.

20. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

You know though, thinking about it I probably shouldn't put all of the lack of knowledge/education blame on the car companies. A lot of vehicle owners/drivers have NO desire what so ever to know ANYTHING about the cars they are driving. Well, that is until they break and they have to pay some 'grease monkey' to fix it! :D

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I loved watching that. Not only in the way that the materiel was presented, but even the overall way that the production was done. Thanks, Ryan! :)

22. Gigantor

Gigantor

I guess I appreciate a time that bothered to teach something in my "speed" and go so far as to overexplain it so a numbah like me can comprehend it. Thanks, Boss.

23. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Definately well broken down so anyone can understand it if they take the time to do so. I always enjoy those old presentations, thanks for posting.

24. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

No kidding! If you watch that and still have trouble understanding what's going on in your axle housing, you are in trouble yourself.

25. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

OMG!! This video is amazing!! I never fully understood how it worked until today!! Thank you Ryan!!

Ian

26. skwurl

skwurl

That was cool. What an illustration. Thanks

27. Stoveboltz

Stoveboltz

Very cool, and interesting. Don't think I've ever seen it explained so well.

28. autobilly

autobilly

There's a lot of truth in that comment. I had a car in the other day that the owner preferred to drive to my Dealership and pay our $115.00 p/h labour rate to have me set the time on his clock/radio than read the owner's manual and do it himself.:confused:

29. onedge

onedge

30. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers