Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hop Up or Slop Up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Damn...I think paragraph #3 should pretty much offend anyone out there with a wagon, or any sedan!...or truck...or...:D
    Paragraph #4 is simply ridiculous.
    At least today, anyway...most people just want to build anew, and cannot afford to keep everything they ever build...
    Some interesting parallels though, in there...
    some, typical ( even still today! haha...) editorial page-filling b.s...
    Damn...that first "car" was ON THE ROAD?

3. BLAKE

BLAKE

'...Skid Row vehicles...' = brilliant!

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

Unforunately,these people are still around,giving a bad name to every area of the motorsport world that they reside in.Could be a ricer,rat rodder,muscle car ,or vintage European car collector.Poorly planned,slipshod cars are still rolling out on a regular basis.Stupid is still alive and well.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Not bad advice if you update it while reading to today's parts availabiliy and use of the cars.

6. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

True enough...but, sometimes, many times, in fact, "stupid" is merely "ignorance"...I can tell you that I've improved over the years, and have a LOT more improving to do...but, as long as you do, its progress...
    Progression takes time, and, it takes teachers/teaching...some folks out there are not fortunate enough to have the teachers...
    Ya' gotta seek out all the old grumpy guys!
    lol...I did...man, were they a bunch 'O pricks 80% of the time...but, now that I'm getting older, I'm starting to understand why! :D

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Whew! I'm just glad I got through that article without losing all confidence in my project and skills!

my trade mark is learning things the hard way, but I can truthfully say that my planning has been detailed and subject to only minor revisions in the last three years. Maybe I'll come out the back end with a hotrod...

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I built my first roadster from the ground up in 2002- I made a *ton* of mistakes, poor engineering, etc. - But I also spent the time and money to go back through the car and fix the serious problems the best I could. Its still not 100% right, but its safe enough to take on road trips and have some fun without endangering anyone's life!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My problem is that I can imagine the car down to the smallest detail and I am pretty set in my vision but I just lack the necessary skills it takes to bring it to reality which ultimately leads to sub par craftsmanship. I won't drive it though unless I feel it's at the very least safe. Aesthetics can always be fixed down the road but the very basic safety needs need to be met before taking it out around general traffic.

But then again, you learn as you go so sometimes you don't know until something fails. Weld Penetration is one of those things you can measure with a ruler or whatever. It comes with practice and trial and error. Hopefully that error comes before someone gets hurt.

10. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Uh-oh. Guilty as charged on a few of those counts, officer.
    But the HAMB is spreaing the gospel. Amen brother J.

11. @Jive-Bomber Jay -

Enjoyed reading the article.

I thought it kinda cool that the Bob Hamke & Tom Cobbs roadsters were used as examples ... in the past 3 months, both have been chronicled heavily on the H.A.M.B.:
    • @Trichop recently found the Hamke roadster (click HERE) and (thanks in part to the HAMB) it has been returned to the Hamke family (click HERE).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  12. Kettleman

Kettleman

Good article.

13. was thinking similar, with a view that these guys were noted as being 'smart thinking pioneers', both then and now......some things change, others don't, those guys really highlight the rodders rodder...

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Interesting article. So, ratrods were traditional, huh? haha

15. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Old term: Gook Wagon is a stock car with a ton of JC Whitney-like accessories slapped on- Bolt on chrome, horns, exhaust tips, hood ornaments, etc.

16. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I remember a gook wagon that had 3 air cleaners bolted to the hood

17. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I went to a rat rod show a while back......some of the cars were fuckin scary to be polite. When did torch cut window openings and no floors become a safe way to build? Thats what can be seen, imagine whats underneath? One car had buggy sprung front end with the spring mounted to the bones about 8" behind the axle, the guy used a single grade 5, 3/8 bolt thru the bones to a homemade perch. There were no floors, just some 1" square tube cross pieces.

18. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I have seen this scary shit too....at a show last year I saw a U-bolt welded to the backing plate and being used as a steering arm. Thats just stupid. Every car has a Style...or should, There are dick heads that have NO clue of what is safe "building" cars just because their friends are telling them how cool they are. If at a show you happen up on a "death Trap"...just keep walking and hope you don't meet that car coming down the street.