Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Bonneville... Part 2

Joyo and I got off the airplane in Salt Lake around noon. I had always imagined driving into Wendover in something a bit more rebellious than a rented Chevrolet Malibu, but we were both eager despite our wheels. Those late model aluminum rollers were...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Engine Pro 5X
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Bonneville... Part 2

Wow That in car footage is awesome !! And what an experience Sounds like your hooked !! So when do you start on a car ??? >>>>.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
LUX BLUE
Old School HAMBer

The very end of the video was very "Thompsonian". You looked like hell, and it was clearly well deserved.

"Yep. Tastes Like salt."

You have no idea how happy it makes me to know that I am not the only person to do shit like that.

WWW.CRUSHPROOF.NET
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
sammamishsam

We got to Wendover Will Sunday afternoon and camped at the Bend in the Road Sunday afternoon and on the salt for the first time around 3 PM. A quick trip to the pits and we were back to our motor home around 5:30. The ambulance came by around 6:30. We didn't find out until Monday evening about the Bryant death. That added a whole different dimension to the rest of the week.

Ryan you needed to be at the Bend at 5 AM when the line of cars reminded me of the closing scene of Field of Dreams when the cars are coming to see the baseball field, as the sky is turning a deep red, and an orange sliver of sun crawling off the Floating Mountain. Or talk for an hour with 3 guys from Colorado who just qualified all 3 of themselves as drivers in their gas roadster built over the previous 6 months and were on their climb up the speed ladder and how proud they were to just get past 160. Or talk with the guy who made one run in a '52 Ford, borrowed from a fellow club member too sick to come himself. He only made one run but he still was there on Wednesday talking with anyone who took time to look at the car. It sounded like a head gasket and we volunteeered to help him take it apart but he was afraid he might of hurt the block and that would heve ruined his week because of the relationship he has with the owner. Or getting to take pix of the Old Crow and Burke tanks sitting in a row for a photo op. Having some of the Nish boys all try my sunglasses on while they were dropping fuel into the Royal Purple streamliner then watching them go out the back door at 394 acouple of hours later. The lump in my throat as I dropped the Honda off the end of the road onto the salt for the first time. Salt fever. We have the plan for our entry next year, it came to us on the 15 hour drive home. See you all next year.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Jimmy B
Old School HAMBer

Great write up Ryan & that video is awesome. I can't wait to go to Bonneville next year.

Hot Rods of the Dry Lakes Era

jimmy
Old 08-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
banjorear
Old School HAMBer

Ryan:

That visual of the tank running away from the push truck was exactly as you described. Thank you for sharing that. Truly amazing stuff.

One day, my man. One day.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
loudpedal

Yep... Sounds about right Ryan. Congrats on your new addiction.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
hiboy32
Old School HAMBer

That is a very good summary of how the salt takes you.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Boyd Who

You have a fantastic way with words, Ryan! I really need to get my ass back to the salt.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
hrm2k
Alliance Member

Great write up and video. Too bad you had to suffer through all the drinking and cindi lauper music. I'll go in your place next year if you don't want to suffer again.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
uncle max
Alliance Member

Been doing it for 40 years. Still, every time is like the first. . . Great meeting you & the English guy says Hi too!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Lucky Burton

Ryan and Joyo thanks for for coming out and being part of the team. Yes at times the salt can be brutal but it just doesn't matter at the end of the day... Zen
www.LuckysHotRods.com

Sidewinders, Modifiers
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Yup, Wendover is weird. Dunno about a hangover but Buick59 led me to a case of food poisoning that made my one trip there pretty weird.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
BenD
Alliance Member

Awesome Ryan, just awesome.

My first time on the Salt was the 50th in '98 and I was hooked from that point on. Four weeks before Speedweek it seems all my buddies are going, and then one by one they bail for one reason or another. Understandable to a point as "life gets in the way", but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

At the meet and greet, Denise asked me to say a few words about our old friend Dooley who passed very suddenly at the end of last year. My apologies, I just didn't have it in me.

Dave had been at the Salt every year that I have AND went to Lake Gairdner every year as well. He was always the one that I could count on to be there, and last year he and I were the only two of our informal group to head west. We spent all week together, even hauled an Aussie back home with us. Eight days straight of that greuling schedule and harsh conditions, only to drive east straight thru going directly to the swap meet and then on to the Drags for the weekend. I was a walking zombie by the time I reached Joplin but you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I'll never forget that trip. I miss ya Dooley.

This year I took my two boys and a local 19 year old rodder who was a salt virgin to Wendover. We had a blast as usual and I tried to instill in these young boys what Dave had taught me. There are only so many Speedweeks in a persons lifetime.
Don't miss ANY of them.

"You are certainly the most distinguished group of highway scofflaws and degenerates ever gathered together in one place." Yates
Old 08-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
NoSurf
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenD View Post
There are only so many Speedweeks in a persons lifetime.
Don't miss ANY of them.

Very well said my friend.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
Kettleman
Alliance Member

Thanks Ryan, great video. Some day I think I will have to make the trip.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

A very nice writeup Ryan and the video was Rad too. Although, this being my first time there I can assume that we got a little lucky as far as climate goes that weekend. I would love to agree that the Salt is punishing but the wife and I didn't have a tent to hang under and we walked that couple miles over and over each day we were there. Flying is far more exhausting then hanging out on the Salt all day in my opinion. Although I will say this, that sun can really beat your eyes up for the day or two we were out there. They were bloodshot every night.

When I got back to North Carolina on Monday it was 104 with like 90% humidity, I was like "fuck, give me Bonneville any day. This sucks!!!". I am sure Austin feels hotter today then Bonneville did ever those couple days.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #18
Greezy

After my first trip in 07 I figured every other year or so would suffice... no way. After this year I dont plan on missing any more.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #19
Spark Plug
Grenade Inspector

Great job at describing your experience Ryan. There definitely is something spiritual about being out on the salt. My first time was in 2007 when we had to forge through a lake to get out there. That year I was only able to spend a short day in Bonneville. Since that day I knew I needed to go back. Something was just calling me. I didn't make it back until this year, getting to spend a full 3 days on the salt and loved every HOT minute of it. I am already making "concessions" with my wife to secure my return next year!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
Ryan
Administrator

That was hard to write fellas... I don't like writing about personal shit and Bonneville was pretty damned personal. I got so caught up in making myself write, that I forgot to thank all the folks that made it possible. So, here goes:

1. John Joyo. He's one of my best pals. Traveling with him is just flat out fun. We laughed... a lot.

2. Old Crow Speed Shop. I can't imagine going to Bonneville as a spectator. I think it would be boring as all hell. Bobby, Lucky, Joe, Jack, Max, Coby... They all made sure Joyo and I had fun... and boy did we... They created monsters.

3. Keith Tardel. I've never looked up to someone as much. Family.

4. Vern Tardel. Killin' em with kindness... A salt legend if there ever was one.

5. Flip. Man... having Keith, Joyo, and Flip all together at once was almost more than my brain could handle. That shit was FUN.

6. Clive. All the way from England to save the day... The REAL Stromberg guy.

7. Every single HAMB guy that came up and introduced themselves. Lord knows I'm a shy one and you guys make it easy!

8. Alliance racers... One of the proudest moments I've had. I love what I do and all and think I do a decent job of it, but seeing so many race cars with Alliance tags made me feel pretty damn good. I even got choked up at one point.

And I'm sure there are more that I am missing... You get the point... Lots of love...

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com

Last edited by Ryan; 08-14-2009 at 11:24 AM.