Register now to get rid of these ads!

marvel mystery oil for flatheads how often to use for preventive maintenance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hombres ruin, Aug 8, 2009.

1. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Flathead gurus,is it useful to use marvel mystery oil in your tank as preventitive maintenance?Or is it just a myth,i did a search for this and not much came up.I have a recent rebuilt flatty with 6,500 miles on it with dual holley 94s on offy intake.Its a 50 8ba.How much do i add? is it better to add it to a tank or the engine?Does it do the same thing as say lucas gas additive,tune up in a bottle? any help on this would be great.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. shainerman

shainerman

Mystery Oil is gods gift to lubrication. Maybe its just a myth passed down through my family, but it had definitely prolonged many a motor for me. I always add 2/3 of the bottle to the tank and the other to the motor. Do it when your tank is almost empty.

3. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Marvel Mystery Oil really doesn't seem to be much of a mystery at all. It's a very high grade, light weight oil. Added to it is a natural detergent (wintergreen?).

Lots of people swear by the stuff, including many small airplane owners, even though it is not FAA approved.

Here is a link the most authoritative place on the planet for its use in the internal combustion engine.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93316

4. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

If you can secure one of the AMPCO oilers or find a vintage Marvel Inverter oiler those would be your better bet than putting it in the tank. That way the oil is sucked by vacuum into the base plate adaptor after the carb. This will avoid gumming up the fuel pump and carb.

More importantly do your homework on motor oils! There has been some recent changes that has us older motor jockeys worried, if not we should be. Particularly us old Flatty lovers! They have recently reclassified motor oils, again, and have removed the additive called ZDDP. This is the zinc component additive in motor oils that has been found to clog up or burn out catalytic converters. So by removing this they have put at risk motors built prior to 1984. Mainly flat tappet cam shafts, rollers are not effected by this change. This is one of the lubricant factors we need in oil. If you have recently rebuilt an older motor and have used one of the new classification oils the potential for your cam lobes and lifters to wear out in the first thousand or so miles is extremely high. There has been alot of info posted on the internet about this recently, so study study. It is a real issue.

If you can find motor oils with a SL API classification, or specifically noted that it has the ZDDP additive, or is listed as a "HIGH PERFORMANCE or RACING MOTOR OIL". Then you will be okay. Royal Purple is one of these as well as Valvoline Racing Oil Multi-weights. I looked at O-Reillys, Auto Zone and Pep Boys here in Fort Worth and these were the only ones I could find they carried to meet this. Now of course straight weights, 30w, 40w etc. will meet this need. Now there are additives you can use that are ZDDP specific. We all remeber STP, bingo this has this as a primary chemical in it's makeup. Again, read and study!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    39-Ford-tudor likes this.

5. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It sure won't hurt anything...I have used it for years, about 2 ounces to 10 gallons of gas for me.
    I also use it for air tool lubrication in the shop.

6. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

1950Effie i use zddp plus for the reason you stated.From the looks of it it doesnt seem to be used for recent rebuilds,as everything is new.Some discussion over whether to put it in the engine or the tank.Does it gum up the carbs? How much could you put in an engine like a flathead?..

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

This thread could go on forever if all the stories are told.

I own a couple model T Ford Speedsters with modified engines. A typical modified T uses a hi volume aluminum intake along with cam changes and often a holley straight thru etc.
    Running down the highway late afternoon , 50 plus mph as the air starts cooling off a bit with some other cars i noticed that my car would spit and kinda miss. This happened on more than one drive and i noticed other Ts did the same thing.
    After one of these runs i noticed a leak under the carb on the concrete, it turned out to be melting ice from the carb at the throttle plate neck etc.
    One of the old timers says to me "your not running Marvel oil in the tank???"
    Every fill up now i add some to the tank and the skip as well as the ice build up problem is solved .
    Some of the flathead v8s have the same problem and that is the cure as well.

8. Retrorod

Retrorod

We use it in our flathead roadster and the sedan as well. I even treat my new commuter car to a dose of Marvel Oil from time to time.

9. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

I usually keep a quart in the cabin.....and pour in just a little bit for every tankfull, cause the fuel is just so dry these days..........as far as adding to your oil..........1/2 quart every oilchange....................its the best antisludge protection you can get..................:cool:

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i use it on my salads...brings out the flavor of the greens and keeps me from rusting up inside.

11. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Hey HotRod....thats a good one.....gotta remember that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!Heehee:D

12. Retrorod

Retrorod

Flower treats the bare-metal headers on her flathead roadster with Marvel Oil also, keeps them looking good.

13. Swifster

Swifster

First, ZDDP has not been completely removed from motor oil. It has been decreased. Any 20W50 is considered by the government to be racing oil and is not subject to the decrease, whether it says racing oil on the bottle or not. Mobil 1 or any other motor oil of this viscosity will have the required zinc.

Brad Penn Oil also has the required zinc in all weights and viscosities. They also sell at 'Break-In' oil for a fresh rebuild. Every oil company will have a ZDDP listing on their products page. Ideally, you want 1600 to 1800 PPM, and no less than 1500 PPM. The reformulated stuff has 800-1200 PPM. Read up on the product and go to the store with the knowledge to buy the product that you need/want. Many have used Diesel oils, but even these have been effected by the new rules. Watch your labels and read your product sheets.

Second, most modern oils have detergents to keep engines from sludging. My Ranger has 233K on it with nothing but Mobil 1 and the inside is as clean as a babies ass. These are not grand dad's 1950's and 1960's oils.

I'm more concerned about the crappy gasoline than I am by my motor oil.

14. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

so is it worth adding to the engine? Can i add it now without the oil change? Or is it best added to the tank? and what amount? bottom line am i gonna screw up the carbs in any way?

15. Road Runner

Road Runner

I have used MMOil for years, but found something else that I believe works better.
    I only buy gas anymore from the two gas stations that add Techron to the gasoline.
    It seems to work better than MMOil and also gives a little better mileage.
    You may not find a lot of info about that on here, but do a search online.

I wouldn't put MMOil into my crankcase on a regular basis, especially with a clean motor using detergent oil.
    It contains light oil and solvents, which don't help at all with lubrication.
    It's probably alright if the motor is dirty and adding it a few miles before an oil change may do some good.

Diesel motor oil has on average 50% more detergents and 100% more dispersants and would be a better way to clean a motor over a few oil changes.

I would also stay away from motor flushes, unless you just bought an old motor that hasn't gotten regular oil changes in a long time.
    Even so, it can dislodge chunks of sludge and clog the smaller passages and the oil pump filter.

39-Ford-tudor likes this.
  16. flatjack

flatjack

I've been funning my flathead for 16 or 17 years now. Put a lot of miles on it - probably 50,000 miles and have never used a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil and have never seen any reason to use it. I'm sure it won't hurt to use it and if you feel it works, go for it. I have never seen the need.

17. I've been adding it to my gas (about 4 oz per tank) and topping off my oil (about half a quart) for the last 5 1/2 years, haven't had a problem. I ask some mechanics and none had any reason not to use it.

18. I have laboratory experience with Techron Concentrate. It really does keep your intake valves clean without making extra deposits in your combuston chamber.

Most of the oil-based lubes you guys are talking about will probably make more combustion chamber deposits, raising your compression ratio and making your engine more likely to ping on lower octanes.

19. voodooblackcat

voodooblackcat
    from Pacheco

The stuff works great in your hair also when you want that real greaser look.

20. What if I have'nt got any hair? :)

21. fraso

fraso

I would have to agree with Road Runner about using Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO) to clean an engine and to keep it clean. HDEOs also have enough ZDDP (actually the phosphorus component provides the anti-wear) to protect flat tappet engines. Generally, CI-4/SL HDEOs have the most phosphorus content. Although, CJ-4/SM oils (for 2007+ diesel engines) can contain a maximum of 1200 ppm of phosphorus, most good CI-4/SL HDEOs contain 1000-1200 ppm of phosphorus anyway. CJ-4 is a performance specification rather than a formulation specification and CJ-4 oils still have to meet the requirements of a CI-4 oil in addition to new requirements.

Also, Brad Penn recommends their Penn Grade 1 HP oils for flat tappet engines.

Engine Oil Article

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  22. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

So where can you find the zinc additive?

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I just use a Valvoline racing oil. It has the needed Zinc properties for flathead engines. I don't use MMO on a good clean running engine. I have used it on one flathead that had possible deposits on the valves with blow by. The diesel oils also have the zinc.

24. My dad turned me onto MMO when I was a kid, he used it in his gas, some in the crankcase before oil changes. I used it on bicycle parts, it would free up a rusty chain in no time.

When I was fixing cars, every day a few drops went into all my air tools.

I use it in the house when I install lightbulbs. A couple of drops on the threads and it will always come out without a fight. Most bulbs and sockets are made from the same material.

Bob

25. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

I always add a little bit of MMO to my Flat-8 F-1 at every fill up. And a little added to the engine Oil when I change it. I have never had a carb issue. I run The BRAD-PENN Oil. A few old-timer Flat head guys around here always use MMO, and say that they have for years... a local mechanic told me not to waste money buying Marvel... he says Automatic Trans Fluid is the same thing....allthough I havent tried it Yet.

26. fraso

fraso

27. I have a French block flattie, 4" crank, Elgin cam, 2 deuces on an Offy intake, and Pertronix converted distributor - a 255 cube - so it's very similar to your engine. I put in 1-3 ozs every time I get gas, depending on how much gas I put in and if I'm on a trip or it will sit at home int he garage until the next road trip. This keeps the stock fuel pump and my 2-94s lubricated as the Ethanol content in the gas dries 'em up when they sit for more than a few days unless you have some kind of lubrication, IMHO.

Attached Files:

28. This is exactly what my dad was told by a Valvoline engineer. Yeah, he called a phone number that was on the side of a case of oil, and asked the woman who answered if he could speak to someone about oil. Next thing he knows, he's chatting flatheads with an engineer. True story. He wont even talk about running a different motor oil after being treated so well.

29. i use zddp or lucas in the oil only. 4 oz. of zddp with oil change and then some lucas when i add oil, just a quick pour.

30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

hotrod-40 you can get the zinc additive called zddp from sacremento vintage ford its in a 9 once bottle and its $9.95..search zddp and theres a great website explaining its function.