Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just welded a Frame Jig Rotisserie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert_t_wallace, Aug 1, 2009.

1. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

2. Clark

Clark

Looks similar to mine. I wonder if the ebay guy copied it.

I made mine out of 2x6 hoping it stays straight no matter what. Mine also has bearings at the rotating point. Almost rotates too easy.

I do wish I would have made a hieght adjustment like yours. only the legs adjust on mine.
    Clark

Attached Files:

3. studeboy

studeboy

Jesus Clark I think you could rebuild a Sherman Tank on that thing:D Not seeing any locks to keep it from flipping over. Am I just missing something

4. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

X2 on that.
    That thing has got to weigh close to 1000 pounds. I would rather have something overbuilt than re-doing it.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[​IMG]

I'm finding this to look a little light weight for a frame jig.

6. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Compared to Clarks that looks like a drafting table. Not sure I would trust it.

7. Sorry to rip on your work but it looks like less of a "jig" and more like a "platform".

8. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

no bad feelings received.. I used the same design as my rotisserie and the rotisserie holds a 66 Mustang coupe with no problem. It allows me to rotate it so I don't think it will be an issue, but point well received. My plan is to use it to hold the frame flat while I weld a new cross member and box the frames. Ones the frame is done and a rollng chasis, I won't need it any more.

9. pastlane

pastlane

There's no kill like overkill :)

10. Clark

Clark

Mr Wallace...You should be OK to do a single frame. I would keep a straight edge close by to check for sag in the middle. Check it from time to time just to be sure.

One of the reasons for heavier tubing is when you tack the frame to the table and do a lot of welding, the table helps hold the shape of the frame flat. If your table is weak and you weld too much one way the warping of the frame could pull the table with it.

I will use my table a lot and it needs to stand up to abuse. As you can see I'll put the whole car on it when needed. The body in the picture was cut into 17 pieces and it was nice to measure off of the table to get square and level.

My table has a couple of cool features. There is a center line and everything is square. I measure off of the center line and line part of the frame up with a crossbar and the frame is automatically square.

There is a couple of stops to keep it from rotating but none are strong enough for me to stand on it. That much wieght off center would cause it to tilt. Both ends have a jam nut on the spindle and there is a sprocket on one end that Has a pin that sticks into the teeth. The sprocket was from a failed motorizing atempt. The motor spun it too quickly :)
    Clark

11. budd

budd

a rotating lazer level can help you get things nice and level.

12. one37tudor

one37tudor

I built one similar to the 2X6" one Clark has. The one problem I had to deal with was rotating it with a body installed on the frame. I was building a 55 Chevy truck and it worked really well to do the frame but then I put the cab and bed on it also and I could hold it at any position with the locks but couldn't get it rotated back up.
    I finally put a support from the swing arm point to the 2X6 frame jig that was adjustable. Now as I add weight to the top side I can slide the center point of the frame jig down in relation to the pivot point better balancing the load.
    Low buck and hard to explani but works for me.

Scott...

13. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

Wish I had a a rotating lazer level...