Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookin for some examples of coupe headliner installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crease, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Crease

Crease

I am on a mission to carry out the worlds slowest upholstery job. So far, I have the door and kick panels cut. Also finished up all the wood. Getting ready to do the rear quarter window panels. My question is, whats the best way to secure the head liner. I have several ideas in my head, but would like to get some input. My car is a 33' 5 window, but examples of anything from 28-40 or so would be of interest.

Thanks folks!

2. Crease

Crease

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm interested in this too... anyone have any shots of early ford headliners?

4. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

This year when I did the Headliner on my 36 Tudor, I used Hot melt glue to attach the headliner to the window frames on the body then the garnish molding/window frames cover it all. The glue works great and was used where the tack strips did not exist.

Good luck with it.

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Just a thought. Maybe you could glue the headliner to a cardboard shell and install that somehow. The garnish mouldings can hold down the edges tight. I like to use contact cement to hold down corners, it can be loosened by hand if you need to pull up a corner later.

6. skipstitch

skipstitch

The following pic is of a headliner we did in a '32 plymouth. It's a realtively simple process that we've done time and time again cars from Model T coupes to cars as new as a '48 Chevy sedan. Although this one is of a contemporary design... You could do one with a tuck and roll insert.

I'm startin' one in a '41 Willys coupe on Tuesday and will finish it up by Wednesday. I can snap some pics of the process if it's of interest and do a "How-To". It does require a stitch around the outter edge by an industrial machine, Some good contact cement, a hand stapler, a piece of thin cardboard, some foam and an item called Plygrip (available from any furniture repair shop. With a few instructions, anyone can handle it.. Should I take some pics? Stitch

Attached Files:

7. skipstitch

skipstitch

nother...in a '39 chevy sedan. It shows the stitch line a bit better.

Attached Files:

8. Jason455

Jason455

skipstitch, I would love to see pics. I do household furniture. I have no idea how you get car interiors to look like that. AWESOME!

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

OH YES post that "How To" It would be great to see how it is actually suppose to be done. Gene

10. skipstitch

skipstitch

Cool... I'll start snappin' pics in the morning and post 'em later in the evening in this thread.

reagen likes this.
  11. Crease

Crease

Skipstitch,

The pics would be greatly appreciated. That's beautiful work. Im gonna be in way over my head, but Im trying to get this 33' 5 window built on a single income, 2 kids, wife drives a nice car kinda budget. Dad gave me an industrial machine, but didn't provide the talent. Im doing this realllly slow. Im proud of the rest of the car and just hoping the interior looks presentable. One way or another it will cause if it sucks Im selling a kidney and makin a trip to see Mr Fatlucky. I'll post some pics in early 2010 when I get it done. [​IMG]

12. skipstitch

skipstitch

FatLUcky requires a Kidney!?! I thought the goin' price was an arm & a leg!? Looks like I gotta raise my price [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This method is pretty straight forward and can be done by anyone. There is a great "cheat" I'll pass along to help you stitch a straight line that will never show in the final product.

13. Crease

Crease

Fatluckys is well worth a kidney in my opinion. [​IMG]

He's a bit higher than the local shop frequented by the chainer crowd, but the work is easily 10 times better. You can't even begin to compare the quality. You and Mr Fatlucky seem to have quality stitching nailed.

I've got about 100 straight lines to sew. [​IMG] I could use any hints you've got.

14. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Some basic cloth, 40' Ford Coupe....H

15. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

keep the pics coming please, i'm in the same boat with my 37 Tudor, I at least have the bows, and think I could do the basic top, but don't how the sail panels are attached. I think i'm missing some pieces to secure the sides.

A friend told me I would be better off to order a repo headliner, then use it for a pattern? Seems like a waste there.

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If I ever quit having mechanical issues. I too intend to replace the headliner on my 37. Its so gross looking, it looks like Dna samples were geysered onto it.
    Here's some info I have been saving. Can't wait for Skipstitches tech and pics. [​IMG]
    headliner install headliners install 2

17. I would say from the pics I have seen that Skipstitch AND Fatlucky are tow of the best thread guys in the country. I am not trying to kiss ass here either, their work speaks for itself.

Although, Fatlucky is on my shitlist for not stopping by while in town [​IMG] [​IMG].

18. skipstitch

skipstitch

Okay, here we go on the first installment. I'll have to apologize cause I have a ton of pix and don't know how to post multiples.... So be patient.

Step one. Be sure you have good mounting points to attach your headliner to. Most early cars have wood and later cars have some wide metal bands that work well. The thin stock headliner wire bows will not work, as you'll soon see. If you need to make new or non existant ones I suggest makin' them out of wood as it's easy to screw into. Here are two main bows in the Willys. No ryhme or reason to the placement. It just made sense to locate them here....

Attached Files:

19. skipstitch

skipstitch

Next up... cut a piece of 1/4" luan plywood to fit the headliner. It should go as far forward and back as possible as well as side to side. The curvature of the roof and how big the door opening is will have an effect on the size, but the bigger the better. Once it's cut and you're happy with the fit, CENTER IT and screw it in place. Being centered is crucial to how the end result turns out!!! Sometimes additional braces may be needed around the edges to hold the luan in place (mostly in larger cars). Keep in mind it must easily fit through the door opening as your final piece will need to as well when it's covered in glue.

It's a good time to locate any domelights or overhead consoles as well.

Attached Files:

20. skipstitch

skipstitch

Okay, now for one of those things you MUST take a BLOOD OATH to know!!! [​IMG] This is the all important above door gripper... similar to whats in Pinto's and '55-57 Chevys.

Take a piece of butcher paper, spray the back with 3M 77 glue and press it to the top of the door jamb. Trace the opening along the top and exactly at the door opening edge. Generally speaking stop the front just after the door top turns down and just short of that in the rear.

Attached Files:

21. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Ahh, so ditch the bows, okay. I'm saving this post for sure. Any more progress pics?

22. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Thanks for the pics!

23. skipstitch

skipstitch

now simply transfer that paper pattern to a piece of 1/4" luan and cut it out... be very careful to make sure the door opening edge is smooth, without wobbles and matches the opening. Like a paint job, prep time taken now will make the final product look better....

Attached Files:

24. skipstitch

skipstitch

Okay, now some magic dust..... You'll need a length of product called Ply-Grip. Furniture repair places can get it. It has little rows of sharp teeth on one edge. Position it as the pic shows about 1/8" above the inside bottom edge of the wood piece you've created and staple with a heavy duty stapler in place.

Attached Files:

-Brent- likes this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Skip.... You do great work man... thanks so much for the pictures...

26. skipstitch

skipstitch

then fold and staple the top portion of the tin down and out of the way... if it sticks up past the wood, cut it off......

Repeat the above for the other side. On early cars, plan to pattern both sides from scratch. They are rarely the same....

Attached Files:

reagen likes this.
  27. skipstitch

skipstitch

Thanks Ryan, sorry for usin' up all the bandwidth [​IMG]

Next we gotta address windlace. I know it's not headliner, but without partially installing it we cannot move on. We use 1/2" sponge rod. Available from any auto upholstery shop. Here it is in da raw...

Attached Files:

28. skipstitch

skipstitch

Cut yourself strips of material 4" wide per door the length of the opening. In this case we're usin' bone colored leather. This pic shows both strips and one piece of sponge rod. Spray contact cement on the strips of material. I suggest using industrial contact cement for best results...again available at auto trim shops. Spray it on allow it to tack up. We use three coats of glue before working...

I glue windlace cause I could NEVER stitch it tight enough to please me.

Attached Files:

29. skipstitch

skipstitch

Once the glue is ready, center the core and start to pull the material around it. The core we use as seen above has a raised flat area to use as a guide. Make sure the core doesn't twist or the windlace will look wobbly.... Then....

Attached Files:

30. skipstitch

skipstitch

Move back about 8" and repeat... close the material around the core. Repeat this to the end. Again be sure not to twist the core...

Attached Files: