Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you own a welder you sould read this.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marshall, Jul 30, 2009.

1. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

2. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

worth the time to read good info could save your life

3. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

with all the fng's all we can get

4. WOW! Scary story there. My best wishes for at least some continued improvement for this fellow. Can't be careful enough around chemicals and solvents.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, it has been posted a lot lately. I think this is one of those rare instances where you can't hear it enough. Could be such a common mistake with stuff we all use to create some really horrible results for yourself.

I think as moderators we will do our best to combine threads or lock and add links as necessary, but please suck it up just this once if you think you need to tell everyone how many times it has already been posted.

6. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I done something like this...but I guess the good Lord looked out for me. I'll never do it again after reading this

7. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Wow, good to know.

8. Huntfamily53

Huntfamily53
    from AZ

Whoa...it really can change in an instant...I'll keep this on my mind and pass it on too.

9. bjinatj

bjinatj

Thanks for the good read....

10. noboD

noboD

I just bumped '37Kid's thread about this. It should be manditory reading for anyone with a welder. I can't believe this was not common knowledge before.

11. specialk

specialk

I saw on the label that TriChlorEthylene was the first ingredient on that can. Just a piece of advice, DO NOT BREATH THIS STUFF. I used to work with a guy who huffed it, (25+ years ago) and I can tell you that the effects are not good.

For some reason, the whole page wouldn't load for me, so I couldn't see the whole story, but that label jumped out and bit me.

12. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Yikes.

I'm as bad as anybody else or maybe worse about using store-brand brake kleen as an all-purpose cleaning solvent.

13. Holy sheeeet man. Thanks for the warning and heads up. Amazing what is being sold out there ain't it?

14. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

15. George

George

Why not just sticky one of the threads?:confused:

16. DCLXVI

DCLXVI

marshall, thank you for posting this. You may have saved someones life.

17. 52style

52style

wasnt this alreaDY posted like a couple of days ago

18. Read before you write please.

19. My daytime job is in workplace safety, chemicals and dangerous goods are the primary hazards in the workplaces my company runs. I am trained in MSDS development and management and have the utmost respect for all hazardous materials. When you learn about the testing done to determine exposure levels and the finding related to some of the materials that are commonly used both in industry and home shops it can be eye opening. This is a great example of how reading the label or instructions can make a huge difference in the outcome. I hope he gets better.

Steve

20. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, I gathered that some of the stuff in brake cleaner is something to watch out for, can someone with more knowledge than myself tell me if there are other things in stuff such as acetone or stuff like that to avoid when I'm gonna be welding after cleaning with it?

That's pretty scary man.

21. Wow; I'm glad I read this article! Scary stuff! Didn't the German's use phosgene gas (sp) during WWI?

22. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Just sent this to my employer, we've been using brake cleaner to remove anti-corrosion compunds to make weld repairs. Sounds like that's not a good thing to be doing!

23. Mac_55

Mac_55

TTT for good reason , i know there are more than 23 guys on here that weld.

Thank you kindly for posting this . Ill pass the info along right away.

24. 6berry

6berry

that is a gnarly story. i need to keep an eye out for that kinda stuff

25. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

No welding job is worth your life. Eye opening and educational. Appreciate the posting. :cool:

Mike

26. Solvents are some seriously caustic liquids that need to be properly used for their intended purposes or used within the guidlines stated on the cans/containers. I am glad that this was posted up and it should be one of those thread that everyone who welds reads. This article is a stern warning and a learning tool to the uneducated. Thank you for posting it Marshall and thank you Kevin Lee for your moderator wisdom.-Weeks

27. Yes the Germans used Phosgene Gas in WWI. It's use was outlawed as a military weapon in the "Third Geneva convention" in 1925. My grandfather was gased at 19 years old with it in WWI and survived a short 50 years only to live a nightmare life with acute respiratory and lung problems.
    I have used Carb cleaner for cleaning before TIG welding for years with no problem ( doesn't mean its safe ) but I never used Brake cleaner because it seemed to leave a residue.
    This is something every one on this site can benifit from and should be permanetly posted here for referance and New Welder awareness.

Not to steal the post but, Does any one here have suggestions for cleaning with a solvent before TIG welding with out the use of Aerosol Cleaners.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  28. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Thanks for the info, that is why this place is great!

29. May Pop

May Pop

Ive made similar mistakes like that and also escaped injury. God must be watching over me also.
    Thanks for leaving this open because I didnt see it the other time?
    Ron

30. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Wow... Great info for us FNG's. I only have a stick and wire feed welder and have never used any kind of spray chemical before I try to fuse some metal together...I never will now.