Register now to get rid of these ads!

Friends of the Ford in line six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INTRUDER, Jul 29, 2009.

1. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

I've got 1961 Falcon w a 144. The 144 is on its last legs. I can get a rebuilt
    In line 200 with a C4 trans from a 1971 ick. Mavrick delivered for about $800.00.

Why spend the money and time on a 144 when I can get a 200 pre-built for less?

Looking for your input.
    Alreay bought the how to books, went to the web sites etc.

What is needed for the C4 to fit? any ideas thanks.
    lets start a FORD IN-LINE SIX THREAD

2. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I put a 302 w/C4 in a 64 falcon the only thing I had to make the C4 fit was to fabricate a new transmission crossmember, and made a new drive shaft because I swapped in a 9" rear.

3. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

http://www.fordsix.com/

is a very good site on 6cyl ford

if the transmission is a big bell housing a hammer will be needed
    the early falcons have a small trans tunnel

depending on carb used you may need to use a cable gas pedal

Paul Jug

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

There's a great book on hopping up the small Ford 6s (144-170-200). I think you can get it from Fordsix.com

The rebuilt 200 is better than a tired 144. The 200 MAY be taller and have different mounts, but I'm not too sure on that. I thought they pretty much bolted in, but from what I read above, maybe not.

5. Powerband

Powerband

FodSix.com is the place for extended answers to your question.

A 200 from a Maverick will pretty much "bolt in" with some minor finagling. For "modern" driving speeds, an OD type tranny should be considered especially with typical OEM 3.50 rear.

An aftermarket "C4 conversion mount crossmember" is available from a few vendors :

[​IMG]

http://falconparts.com/1960-1965+C-4+AUTOMATIC+TRANSMISSION+STEEL+MOUNT.html

A Maverick 200 will add upgraded fuel and electrical features along with better performance and possibility of more performance parts.

The C4 may need a little BFH massaging, I put a T5 in a '61 and added some clearance with the BFH.

The 200 is dimensionally identical to the 144 although accessory parts may be moved. The 250 uses most same parts but is slightly wider and @ 1-1/2" taller and longer , which adds lots of other fun.:

here's a '71 Maverick engine in a '61:
    [​IMG]

And the 250 in a '61

[​IMG]
    Have Fun...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. skwurl

skwurl

The carbs on that second one is crazy

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I just replaced (4 thousand miles ago) the 300 ci. 6 in my 85 Bronco with a rebuilt motor. It is a great engine but low on power on the long upgrades we have here. Lots of downshifting on my 4 speed OD. If you live in a flat area go for it if not conside a V-8.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

You will be amazed and pleased at the power increase of the 200 over the 144.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

300s are huge compared to a 144

10. Powerband

Powerband

For those who wonder :rolleyes:, the Ford "Small Block Six" also known as Falcon Six includes the 144 - 170 - 200 -and stroked variant the 250 which share the integral intake head. They were used in the Falcon, Mustang, Comet, Maverick, Granada, Fairmont, Bronco and a few I can't recall...

The "Big Block Six", evolved from the venerable 50's OHV six - 223, the long produced 240 and 300 share most parts and are contender in the displacement classes with the V8's.

Legendary Six Cylinder Racer, Record Holder and Engine Builder, Jack Clifford Performance built Ford 250 Six Engine – Jahns 10:1 Pistons, Clifford Shot Peened and Balanced Rods, Clifford 272H Cam, Line Bored & Balanced Bottom End, Torque Plate Machined - .070 Cylinder Overbore, Cloyes CamTiming Set, Melling High Volume Oil Pump, Fisher Custom Harmonic Balancer, 1.88 intake Valves, Ported Int/Exh chambers and Relieved valve shrouds, Offenhauser Tri-Power Intake Manifold and Progressive linkage with modified Holley carbs, , Hooker Dual Out Long tube Headers, Re-Curved Duraspark Electronic Distributor ., Lightened Flywheel spinning Centerforce Clutch, the works, a few mysteries...
    [​IMG]

11. riceman

riceman

My first car was a 62 Falcon Futura, 170 with a small four speed. The 200 bolted right in. I put on a Mallory dual point and Super coil, Clifford headers into dual exhaust, air shocks with slapper bars and a 2 barrel. It ran a 15.20 at Fremont on BFGs B60-13. I am lucky to be alive today with the stuff I put that poor car thru. This was 1970.

12. sixfink

sixfink
    from Germany

howdy,

I'll give you thumbs-ups for the choice of the 200ci straight six.
    As you may have already experienced on your 144, those little sewing machines are easy to work on. spark plugs on one side, exhaust manifold or header on the other. Enough room to work, you can change the oil filter from above, you will have seven main bearings on the 200 compared to the 144 or 170, and while the current sixer crowd is all crazy about a new aluminum head and a chebby-based and grossly overpriced distributor, there are heaps of old-style parts available with some scrounging. The offenhauser tripower intake is still available new, and the equivalent edelbrock piece from the 1960's pops up every now and then on evilBay.
    I count a rare 1968 head to my collection with a factory cast-in divider between #3 and #4 exhaust ports, as well as a vewwy rare Australian-made, cast header by Speco. Stuff like that comes up like every 20 years.

I got a 250ci on my *coughs-coughs* 64-bellybutton-mustang T-5, and wouldn't suggest that poarticular engine on this board, as it is a slow-revving, axle-snapping torque motor. Sucks up gas like a V8 and delivers not even half of the horses, but still it' great, although not as great as its predecessor, the 200.

Unless you plan for turbochargers, the 200ci engine is the best option IMHO. Runs real snappy, even without the big-bucks-bling distributor.

Dare to be different!

regards, Simon

13. David Chandler

David Chandler

I had a 200 in a 78 Futura, with a C4. It would run rings around a 144. I've also driven a 250. I think I liked the 200 better in a light car.

14. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Thanks for all the advice and comments. I found a rebuilt 200 with a C4 attached in Colorado.
    Now I need to find a way to get it to Chicago.

15. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

okay guys
    We found a great deal near by. Total rebuilt on a 1969 in-line six.
    The guy even did a few more upgrades, valves spring tec.
    It came with the following: rebuilt carb, motor mounts new, trans gone over, chrome air cover, radiator and hoses, all hoses new, all the linkage redone and a box of misc. and odds and ends.

16. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Would like to see a few pics of engine bays cleaned up. The straight six looks like a snakes nest. Looking for ideas. thanks

17. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

1960 ranchero 200 6
    [​IMG]

18. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Nice job cruizingraiot very clean. My son and I are working on a 200 transplant in a '63 Comet wagon. You've given us our target for cleaning up the engine room.

19. retromotors

retromotors

I flogged a 200 six in a mid-'60s Econoline unmercifully for years. Last seen well on its way to 300K miles, as far as I know never had the head off.
    Tough-ass little engines!

Below are pics I stole off the web, a sanitary and simple 200 installation in a beautiful '28 track roadster. If the owner/builder is here on the HAMB, I'd sure like to see more info on the car!:D

Attached Files:

20. Powerband

Powerband

Here's a 200 setup I caught awhile back.

[​IMG]

I parked my Falcon next to an old Packard at a show and the guy showed me his - the Packard was Falcon Six powered...

21. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

what is the diferance and advantages and faults between the Australian and Argintine Ford heads? I know that they both use bolt on intake manifolds.

22. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Looking for headers for a 1961-63 Falcon. Any ideas ? thanks

23. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

What's you're preference for an ignition system for the 200? I would like to replace my points with something electronic, but am not sure if Pertronix, an OEM Ford distributor out of a later car, or the Chevy based HEI type system would be best. Any thoughts?

24. jazzbum

jazzbum

great choice of motor. did the same 144/3sp-200/c4 swap in a 61 comet. takes a little massaging, driveshaft mod and a crossmember for the trans (and possibly a throttle bracket to adapt the old linkage, although i think you're good with a '69 motor) but the results are awesome. noticeable torque boost off the line and a decent boost in response at speed. the 200s take a bigger carb really well, cams are made by a couple places, headers too, later oe electronic ignitions are an easy retrofit (mine cost $15 at the junkyard and only needed new plug wires) and they're all over the place in the yards. extremeley easy to work on and get parts for too. they're workhorse motors, 7 main bearings, they take abuse. can't say enough for them.

check out clifford perfomance for the headers, they have just about everything you'd want for modifying sixes. or you can also buy a weld-in port divider from them and split your original manifold and go to dual exhaust for a slightly cheaper and more stealth approach. spend a little time in the yards and on the net (not to mention under the hood and on the road) and you'll be glad you picked the 200.

25. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

we just picked up a rebuilt '69 mustang I6 motor. Pan to carb all new or rebuilt. CAn't wait to install it this winter.

26. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

27. jazzbum

jazzbum

killer. i'd get the later model oe duraspark ignition (just make sure you get every bit of it out of the yard when you do) and you're good to go. for headers, check falconparts.com or dearbornclassics.com or northwest falcons for falcon-specific stuff, they might have them. clifford perfomance has good quality headers you could easily adapt i'm sure, one of the nice things about these motors is they leave you a lot of clearance, especially with stock steering and so forth. you could also just split the original iron manifold with parts from clifford if you just going for dual pipes and a stealth look.

28. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Here is a few pics of my daughters car. She dis most of the work herself.
    3" drop front and back.
    paint roof and side.
    Some interior work.

She loves cars and is a great person.
    What more can you ask from your kids?

Attached Files:

29. That's what I was thinking! :eek:

30. weez

weez

I've had a few of the small Ford sixes and we're not friends anymore! The only one that ran right is the one that I went and got ALL the stock single downdraft shit for it with all the right stock pieces. (not exciting for a hotrodder!) Tried a bunch of different carbs before...