Register now to get rid of these ads!

Read this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Safety warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 25, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Holy Shit!...he's gonna be f'd up for life...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Nothing to fuck around with!!

Attached Files:

4. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Yikes. I'm definitely guilty of not reading warning labels too.

5. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

WOW- Normally when I read alot of these safety warnings they seem pretty common sense to me- But this one really scared me. I could have defintiely done this many times.

Yes I know reading the label is common sense but... WOW.

6. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Holy shit, that should be a wake up call to all of us. About 4 years ago I got a wiff of airborn por-15 that was being sprayed. I only got a few short breaths of the stuff and my lungs burned for 4 days. We gotta be more careful using anything thats a chemical base

7. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I'm just as guilty as anyone else of not reading labels.How many times have you used chemicals,solvents or adhesives without knowing the hazards?I know I've done it on many occaisions.
    One example is P.T.F.E. tape.You can eat this stuff and it won't harm you but,when burning,it gives off a form of cyanide gas.
    I remember when I was serving in the armed forces as a vehicle tech,we were given a safety bulletin concerning transmission seals in certain vehicles.If burning they give off a poisinous gas that can be lethal on first contact!

8. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Holy crap!!!!!
    this needs to be common knowledge.

9. belair

belair

Holy cow! Gotta respect stuff more.

10. Thanks For Posting

11. Damn!! gotta quit doin that! I don't care what anybody says the new stuff they make today to replace the old " bad for you and the air " paint, cleaners and such are way more toxic than the old stuff!

12. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Thanks for the post.. I will be more aware of cleaners in the future..

13. Tony

Tony

Thanks for the heads up.
    Myself and a good friend had an incident a couple years ago at his shop regarding brake cleaner....
    He used a waste oil heater, and we were cleaning off some parts in a small catch basin..There was a few quarts of oil in there too, so when it came time to dump it, he just dumped it in the tank for the heater. The amount of cleaner was probably i can, or maybe a little less...BUT, what was added to the tank, and the fumes in the air from using it that was also getting burned in the fire drum, created some NASTY stuff!
    In less than 45 minutes, the air in the shop became very heavy and both of us started having a hard time breathing. We both started feeling burning on the inside's of our noses, had the feeling of not being able to take in a deep breath of air and both had the feeling of blacking out.
    This happened very fast!!
    He shut off the oil feed on the furnace, we opened all the doors and got the hell out of there.
    Nether one of us know what happened, but we know it was due to the brake clean that was burned..
    Scary shit!!!
    Be extremely careful with all these chemicals..You could end up being too sick, too fast, to do anything about it...

Tony

14. Those are probably 2 (brake clean & a welder) of the most common things is most shops. It's a wonder this hasn't surfaced before, or maybe it has, and the poor guy died and no one could figure it out!

15. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Didn't read warnings on something I never used before. Passed out a few hrs later... Next AM was rushed to hsp.Ended up in Trama Unit then upstairs for a couple of days. Out of work for 12 weeks. Major breathing issues now..
    BE CARFUL ON THAT STUFF>>> READ LABEL !!!!!!
    Pontiac Slim

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OMG!.....Thanks for the important info. It's ironic that you are nearly screaming for us to "read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! safety warning, yet there are far too few hits on this thread. I'm glad I read it. Hey....maybe if someone types something like 32 Ford or hemi here, more of us will stumble upon it. I guess I just did. I think I'll include a few more..... Nailhead Flathead 392 426 Roadster Coupe Hotrod Chrome 6x2 3x2 ... there...that should help.

17. Wow! I use that brake cleaner shit every day at work. Soak a rag and wipe off my tools to yes....cleaning metal before I weld. Goddamn if I,m going to do it again....

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Scarry story. As an aside, I'd like to pass copies to friends, but it took SO long to load on my cable I'd be afraid to send it to others with dial up speeds. How can I copy this article in a smaller type of file? Thanx, Gary

19. Weasel

Weasel

Jeez that's scary stuff. Thanks for the heads up. I use brake cleaner for all sorts of jobs because, unlike carb cleaner, it leaves no residue.

Safety is no accident!

20. harley man

harley man

I do it all the time.I will stop that.Meet the Brew Dude a couple of years ago at a bike event nice guy and tallented.My best goes out to him.Thanks for the wake up call.Copyed it and taking to work.

21. dino1

dino1
    from austin tx

not only that but it appears it made his hair fall out!!!

22. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

thats good info, never really read the warnings. i will from now on though. can you get msds info online for such chemicals?

23. moter

moter

phosgene gas is also produced when R-12 freon is burned. There was a widely used tool in the automotive repair business that would use a small propane tank, that would have a flame on a nozzle on the top on it and when the freon was pulled into the flame from a leak the flame would change color...

24. williebill

williebill

Thanks for posting..you may have saved some HAMBers life by doing so..

forddy likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

.............This may get posted up top as a sticky.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  26. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Wow, must have taken my sense of humor also because I do not find this funny at all.

When welding in any conditions or working on a hot engine or part, one must be really careful of any and all liquids around you.

I don't know how many times I have walked into a shop or garage and seen someone just hosing down the area with some chemical and warn them to be careful only to get some smart ass remark on how it will make you stronger, put hair on your balls, I wash my ass in it or I like the smell of it. I once saw a guy using a torch cut right into a can of primer and have it explode on them! Yeah, some hair was lost in that one.

Having you senses impaired while operating equipment or working around moving vehicles is not good, especially if it can kill you in the end.

Remember, SAFETY FIRST!

27. budd

budd

thanks, i would of done that for sure, it's a wonder i haven't, i would like to send this link to some friends but it's so slow they will never open it, is there another link thats faster?

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel bad for the guy. I thought everyone knew brake clean and welding was deadly. I'm glad this is posted here for the next gen shop rats as well as some who just never had the 2 together. Also realize that even if you thoroughly dry aluminum cleaned with the stuff there's still some in the pores of the metal. Sounds fishy, I know, but believe it.

29. ModelAHotRod

ModelAHotRod
    from MO

BTT good to know.
    Check www.msds.com. If you can't find what you're looking for there should be a number you can call and they can probably email it to you.

30. john walker

john walker

some folks use brake cleaner to find vacuum leaks on running engines. what comes out the tailpipe is pretty evil. it would be interesting to find out what form of poison is created by doing this.