Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Buick Special - the begining of the end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Yaril

Yaril

thought i would consolidate all my Buick endeavors into one post. below are a few links from drive-train to frenching my headlights. there are other posts but not as relevant. having moved from the backyard into a my own shop space, i decided to move forward with my vision of my Buick as a tastefully done elegant custom that, minus a few things, could sit next to the cars of the early to mid 50's.

the main reason for this post is to record what i am considering the begining of the end. wrapping up all the final body modifications for a final once over. i want my car Shiney damb it! tomorrow the roof comes off :) after that the taillights will be shaved into the bumperettes. goal is to get the car in the rough finish mods before the Daytona show hopefully before the Billetproof drags. once content it will all come apart for the shiney stuff. hope you guys pitch in with constructive criticisim.

rear end gearing:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181086

4-link:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191998

back on the road:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194762

fixing og temp gauge:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205108

new hubcaps:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220538

fan shroud:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318246

dash:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180163

french headlights:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318056

more pics here:
    http://www.yarilswork.com/html/gallery.php?gallery=7

so, getting right into things. for the moment i have only taped off 2 vertical inches. chances are that i will end up doing 3 vertical inches. i want to take my time and sleep on it. make sure it looks right. plan to keep the back window intact, only tilted and slide it forward some. i have been told that 3" is the max to reuse the stock rear glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a measly 2 vertical inches = 2 1/2" of A-post taped off...
    [​IMG]

some of the planed cuts, roughly taped off...
    [​IMG]

wish me luck!
    Yaril

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

That is (.)(.)'s my friend

3. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Nice Special! My first reaction is NO, dont cut the roof. But if you're set doing so already... a subtle 2" chop will give you that "tastefully done elegant custom", that you're looking for. imo. Good luck

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Ohhhh Dang!!! Nice!

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Since I know it will be fantastic, let me congratulate you before you even start!

6. Yaril

Yaril

thanks guys, i have a feeling it will look how it should have looked out of the factory.

Anthony you asked me when i was going to chop my car, what 2 years ago. i was still a bit uncomfortable doing so back then, well its finally here. thanks!

7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

True! You remember. This body style always stumps me because because Id want the factory relationship between the drip rail and the back window,once its laid down.( even if there is no drip rail) Have no fear, There have been a bunch of really good ones done, even Oldsmobiles with the same roof. I have pics to prove it!

8. RAY With

RAY With

Two inch on that car will look just right so when you get it choped post some pictures for us.

9. Yaril

Yaril

10. 00 MACK

00 MACK

off to Kinkos tommorow evening!

11. lmte11

lmte11

I'm sure it is going to look great. I am glad that you are doing it... it seems that I'm 1-2 steps behind you with my Buick. Take lots of pictures...please and get ready for some questions from me.
    Chris

12. Yaril

Yaril

every cut possible i made with a hand held hack saw. my friends ask why? i said cause i want this moment to last...

[​IMG]

cutting wheel was used too, made the long roof cut and other rear window cuts with it...

[​IMG]

i had mixed emotions when i finally saw my car topless. did i make a mistake, nah it will be even better...

[​IMG]

slept on it last night and decided that 2 vertical inches is all it needs. so the A pillars are almost fully welded back together as of last night...

[​IMG]

think the proportions are just right of window opening to body mass. its how the factory should have built this car...

[​IMG]

another shot...

[​IMG]

so, tonight i move on to the B pillars. they will be moved back and welded in to support the roof center. then the radius at the rear quarter windows will be installed. that will give me enough to work with the back window position and tilt.

thanks,
    Yaril

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Nice! I took two inches off my '53 Chevy and the best compliments I get are from people who don't realize it's chopped. They say things like "I didn't realize they were so sleek" or things along those lines.

14. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Just stunning.

15. junior51

junior51

looks great ,keep postin pics

16. Pete

Pete

Keep choppin', needs a few more inches.

looks good.

Pete-

Anthonycasare likes this.
  17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool Just enough off of the top.

To many guys chop to much (My Merc for example) it is easy to get caught up in the more is better and that is not good. Some will not realize that it is chopped and that will be a compliment to your hard work. Kustoms are all about improving the body line. Your on your way!!

Keep us posted with the progress.

Happy Trails,

Mick

18. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

your a machine!!!

19. thayer

thayer
    from P-Hoe_Nix

CHOP looks perfect. just right!

20. S1B

S1B

Very nice!!

21. sweet sauce! looks like the perfect amount was taken out.

22. Yaril

Yaril

that is part of what i am going for. those who dont know probably will never know.

i keep that in mind all the time, improving the body lines. i am not chopping my Buick to be "different" or aggressive or any other term. im simply chopping it cause i need to see it how it should have been. Thanks!

thanks everyone, its quite surreal to me still at times cause i have owned this car for so many years already. im the 3rd owner! got it with OG paint. so for me to cut my perfectly dry solid car its not easy. but i am enjoying every minute of it and look forward to the many more hours i still need to put in.

interior view...

[​IMG]

B pillar is moved back & welded in...

[​IMG]

roof is perfectly level & all windows are equal...

[​IMG]

last but not least will be the back glass, it will be the most time consuming part of the job and either make or break the chop...

[​IMG]

had a lot to do today, other stuff that is customer cars and house stuff, i think tomorrow i can dedicate much more time to it. hopefully weld in the rear quarter radius's and perhaps the door tops.

till then,
    Yaril

23. Lucky444

Lucky444

Perfect example of... "a little restraint, pays off big time"!

Nice profile on that chop.

24. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Mmmmmm....Perfecto'

Maybe one day I'l do chop the 53 coupe, now that I have a convertible to play with.

25. Damn Yaril, looks great!

26. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

You really should consider passing that cool piece of work my way.

27. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Looks great so far!

28. lmte11

lmte11

Looks great!! Do you have any more pictures of how you made your cuts for the rear window? If you do, could you post them? I am definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Chris

29. 1952chevy

1952chevy
    from wilmington

chop looks good