Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 inline 6 and transmission question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Farmer, Sep 1, 2003.

1. will a 350 turbo or just a plain 350 transmission bolt up to a '50-'52 235 inline chevy 6? also, what car would i find
    an aluminum powerglide in? just thinking about running a 235
    in another project car and looking to replace the 3spd granny tranny. any feedback, what works, what fits, what don't....Thanks!!
    John

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The 235 6 cylinder has a different bell housing pattern than the V8's [​IMG]

No V8 aluminum PowerGlides or T350's will bolt up.

Adapters are available but big $$$........

[​IMG]

3. yikes. so how about this 3sd cast iron powerglide that comes with it? freeway capable? it was out of a truck.

4. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

If you don't have the 235 and want an automatic go with the 194-230-250-292 six's and youur home free [​IMG]

5. hmmmnnnn.......so you CAN put a 350 behind one them mills?
    just not the 216 or 235 huh?

6. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

they came from the factory that way. you don't want to mess with the old cast iron powerglides that came with the 235's

7. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I like my powerglide, even though it HEAVY. [​IMG]

8. Hey John, i've got a '66 alum 'glide that i'll donate to your project......it was in my El Camino and worked fine when it was replaced with a 22 R4.
    Paul

9. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Just in case he doesn't want it, I'll make an offer. I've been thinking of swaping out my Cast PG for an Aluminum PG.
    I also have a '56 3spd/OD for sale too.

10. I'll take it! I sent you a PM about the alum. glide... [​IMG]
    Thanks!!
    John

11. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

FarmerJohn, now all ya need now is an adapter plate [​IMG] to mate that to the 235.

12. i suppose you have it?....hahaha if so, let me know. maybe we can work something out. [​IMG]
    John

13. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

No, I don't have it. You may have to do some search'n around on the net to find one. Good luck [​IMG] I never did with the 235 in my last '56 (running wise).

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sorry to dredge up a dead topic, but I'm curious- could you bolt a '39 Chevrolet topshift 3-speed behind one of these? They're common enough, though I can't see using a 216. A 235 would be a different matter, though...

15. Kustm52

Kustm52

Yep....you'd need the earlier bellhousing, a pre-'49 one if from a car....or pre-'48 if from a truck...

Brian

16. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey John, i've got a '66 alum 'glide that i'll donate to your project......it was in my El Camino and worked fine when it was replaced with a 22 R4.
    Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

============== I am trying to figure out what a 22 R4 is? [​IMG]

17. FONZI

FONZI

my frined has a running 230 fro 50 bucks.

FONZI

18. raven

raven

Man why waste your time with a 'glide?
    Leter model 4-speeds bolt right up or better yet, use a 5-speed out of a mid to late '80's S-10 or Camero/Trans Am. I just finished putting one in my '54 Chevy truck and love it.It's real cheap swap.
    r

19. bolt right up huh? learn sumthin new everyday....thanks for the tip dude. [​IMG]
    john

20. A 22 R4 is a late model Chev 4 speed auto...the baby brother to the 700. It's good up to 300 HP...they came in vans and little trucks.

Paul

21. raven

raven

LKet me know if you need more detailed information, like part #'s for clutches and specific mods (minor).
    r

22. so it's not a bolt up? you gotta mod this and get that? I don't have time for that nonsense....this is my driver right now, so I gotta be able to do a real quick and easy swap-a-roo on my days off. Most of my buddies are workin too
    so it's just me and the cherry picker! Thanks for the input
    though...:)

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Raven's correct FarmerJohn. I have a Saginaw 4 speed behind my '57 235". I just had to find a late bellhousing, easy enough they're everywhere. Summbitch bolts right up. But if I remember correctly I had to use nuts and bolts in the bottom holes. I used a hydraulic clutch and slave from Wilwood. It was really easy. I could dig an S-10 5 speed OD even more.
    Real hot rods have three pedals dude.

24. yeah, but I think you could get away with only two pedals if your tranny is a b&m hydro-stick? The 235 we're chattin'
    about is for a sedan, not a hotrod so it's all good. I'm runnin a 324 olds in my A project and hope to snag a Hydra matic "Hydrostick" to put behind it. I may get lucky...haha
    That s-10 tranny behind the 235 sounds good. i need to know
    what all it involves, ie. exact parts i got to dig up to make it bolt up and what cars they will be found on. The 235
    is of 1950 vintage or thereabouts. I'm stoked, lots of folks
    are giving me some good input, thanks you guys!
    John

25. clint b

clint b

FJohn, Here is a link that supplies the adapters that you are looking for. A bit pricey is an understatement....but I am sure well worth it.

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/index1.htm

I might be interested in that Saginaw 4 speed idea myself.

26. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

[ QUOTE ]
    A 22 R4 is a late model Chev 4 speed auto...the baby brother to the 700. It's good up to 300 HP...they came in vans and little trucks.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

no such thing.

Perhaps, you are talking about the 200R4 tranny. The 200R4 never came in vans or trucks(big or little). Perhaps you are talking of a different tranny?

this comment from a guy with 30 years in the tranny business.

27. Hell Crosley, i dont know anything 'bout new transmissions or old ones for that matter. The I'm just passin on the info the guy i got it from told me. I guess i should ` I do know it's been a great tranny... i put about 20-30K a year on the Elky and havent had any probs w/it.

28. raven

raven

FarnerJohn,
    This you could do in about three or four hours.
    Will that fit into your evening?
    Are you presently using a 9" clutch?
    If so, I have the part number at home for that.
    I used a 10" clutch with a disc from an 85 Jeep 2,5. It's not 10"'s but it's close enough and it has the right splines. The S-10 has 14 splines and the Camero/Trans Am version has more, 18 I think. Anyway it's the same as most any other Chevy clutch disc. You just use the disc for the transmission you are using. The mods I speak of are very minor and few. You have to cut off about 1/2 inch from the front of the input shaft (the part that fits into the thrush bearing in the flywheel) and you need to shorten that sleeve that the throw-out bearing rides in by about an inch. If you have a hacksaw or angle grinder you can accomplish it in about tem minutes for both. Let me know if you want more specific info (like part numbers and exact measurements). I have all that stuff at home. You can use any of the S-10 5-speeds from about 82 to 92. The Camero/Trans Am version will yield better gear ratios in my opinion but you will have to swap the tailshaft housing and sifter from an S-10 version if you want the shifter in the 'forward' location. I have a whole packet if info at home that details this swap. I am presently driving my '54 Chevy truck with this swap and got over 20 mpg driving down to the Hamb Drags and I haven't even really tuned my new set-up yet. I also added an electronic ignition to my 6. I love it. It's a modified S-10 version from the V-6. If you want to use a Saginaw or T-10, you will need a bell housing from the late '50's or early '60's.
    Let me know if I can help.
    r

29. hntrdj

hntrdj
    from Bowman, SC

i have a 69 c-10 with a 292 and a 3 speed man. i also have an mid 70's el camino with a 400 and a TH 350 will the 3 speed man. and the 350 interchange as far as bolt patterns and spline?