Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Default 2-door wagon conversions

This was touched on briefly in the longroof thread, but I don't think it's been covered exhaustively.

A few people have built phantom 2-door station wagons out of 4-doors. I'm not referring to factory-built 2-doors, or to "shorties" built by sectioning out the back doors; I'm interested in those wagons built to look like factory builds that never existed in nature.

I've seen at least this many:

'51 Chevy
'55 Chrysler (full custom)
'56 Merc
'62 Pontiac
mid-'60s T-Bird (Vista Cruiser roof)
'66 Ford fullsize
'66-67 Nova (2 of these)

The only one I have a picture of is the Pontiac, which you may have seen before. Anybody know of any others?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Gotgas
Alliance Member

Default Re: 2-door wagon conversions

I've seen some '64-66 Mustang wagons, I think that barely clears the letter of the cutoff date, if not the spirit.

One guy put a GTO front clip and trim on a '64-65 Chevelle 2dr wagon, thought that was great. Similar to this one (could not find a 2dr pic online)

I'm not sure I have seen many converted 4dr wagons to 2drs. That's a lot of work to still end up with a wagon!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
hotrodjeep
Alliance Member

I'm not sure why? But I like the Mustang.

Jeff
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

I'd forgotten about the Mustangs. I think that was a fiberglass kit offered in the late '60s; I remember seeing several of those. They were well designed, and pretty good-looking.

The 2-door GTO wagon sounds great -- I'd fantasized about that exact conversion myself. I'd like to see it!

And, yeah, converting a 4-door is a lot of work. But there are a fair number of guys who really like 2-door wagons, and a few who are willing to go to the trouble.

I found this '66 Ford picture somewhere on the web, maybe here on the HAMB, but I suspect it's a photochop:

Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Big Khaunaa
Grenade Inspector

the mustang is cool and saying that makes me feel weird
Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
LOWDOWN2
Grenade Inspector

Corvettes were done ad nauseum in the '70's...both wagon and see-dan deli-very versions...supposedly inspired by the Vette Nomad of '54.

And Jim Mattison of PHS fame had a hand in a T/A version, circa '00...the Hurst Hauler. Previous T/A versions were done in the late-'70's as concept/show cars.

"Satire" is NOT the musical instrument George Harrison learned to play...

Last edited by LOWDOWN2; 07-17-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
1946chevytruck
BANNED

i wish the 64 mustang i have was a wagon just as that one is.thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
LOWDOWN2
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Fraud View Post
I like the "Grand Prix" inspiration...buckets, trim on the 'gate, mouldingless with GP badge on the door, 8-bolts...nice!

"Satire" is NOT the musical instrument George Harrison learned to play...
Old 07-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
mart3406
Old School HAMBer

I don't know how do-able this would actually be and I know I don't have either the
bucks or the body work skills required to pull this off - but how about this for a
possible "phantom" two-door wagon??? Start with the body shell of a '64-'65 Chevelle 300 2-door wagon. Replace the Chevelle doors with a pair from a '65 Pontiac Tempest 2-door sedan. Then, replace the front fenders, front bumper, tailgate, rear bumper and tailights with '65 Pontiac Tempest 4-door wagon pieces. Then take a pair of '65 Tempest 4-door wagon quarter panels, cut and discard the front portion and join the remaining rear section with the front portion from of a pair of Tempest 2-door sedan quarter panels, to create a pair of "phantom" Tempest 2-door wagon quarter panels. Cut the Chevelle 2-door wagon quarters off and instal the "phantom" Tempest 2-door quarter panels. Then, use the hood, grill, exterior chrome trim, dash cluster, front bucket seats, console and interior pieces from a '65 GTO . Presto! A factory appearing "double phantom" GTO 2-door wagon! "Double phantom", because 1) there were no GTO wagons produced and 2) no 2-door Tempest wagons either! It'd be a lot of work and a lot of money but very cool!

mart
================================================== ====

Last edited by mart3406; 07-17-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
29EHV8

Quote:
This was touched on briefly in the longroof thread, but I don't think it's been covered exhaustively.

A few people have built phantom 2-door station wagons out of 4-doors. I'm not referring to factory-built 2-doors, or to "shorties" built by sectioning out the back doors; I'm interested in those wagons built to look like factory builds that never existed in nature.

I've seen at least this many:

'51 Chevy
'55 Chrysler (full custom)
'56 Merc
'62 Pontiac
mid-'60s T-Bird (Vista Cruiser roof)
'66 Ford fullsize
'66-67 Nova (2 of these)

The only one I have a picture of is the Pontiac, which you may have seen before. Anybody know of any others?

Whos car is this? Would love to read a write up on it. And check out some more pics of it for sure.
There was a guy in Washington building a '62 Pontiac 2 door bubbletop. Man would that ever be a cool photoshoot with this 2dr wagon and his bubbletop.
I also saw a 65 GTO/ Tempest "elcamino" at the Unfinished Nats in Washington a few years ago. it was done really nice so you woulda thought it was original.
I've got a few ideas for a 2 door wagon conversion, would be cool as hell.

-Shiny
Old 07-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
LaidoutRivi63
Alliance Member

I'd love to see the Vista Cruiser T Bird! always liked the vista cruiser concept, just not the wagon itself.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
29EHV8

Oh and don't forget about JFs crazy mopar!

-Shiny
Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
woodguy@woodieworks.net
Grenade Inspector

hmm.. almost every wood thing I build is a two door conversion..lol

My Music pages-over 375 songs- Surf
Old 07-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN2 View Post
I like the "Grand Prix" inspiration...buckets, trim on the 'gate, mouldingless with GP badge on the door, 8-bolts...nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29EHV8 View Post
Whose car is this? Would love to read a write up on it. And check out some more pics of it for sure.
Here's the other end and the interior. It was built by Gary Minor, and I'm a partner in the car. A lot of work but pretty straightforward; it involved a '62 GP parts car and a junkyard '62 Pontiac 2-door sedan.

Quote:
There was a guy in Washington building a '62 Pontiac 2 door bubbletop.
There was a car like this on eBay a year or so ago. Looked great, although it had a dumb afterthought-looking hoodscoop.

Quote:
I also saw a 65 GTO/ Tempest "elcamino" at the Unfinished Nats in Washington a few years ago. it was done really nice so you woulda thought it was original.

-Shiny
I saw one like this at Goodguys OC last year, and a beautiful '65 Olds 442/Camino at Pleasanton a few years ago. Both looked like factory cars.

Quote:

-Shiny
That's the '55 Chrysler I was referring to in the original post.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
TooMany2count

I know it's not traditional but since someone mentioned the Mustang Stationwagon, here's a WRITE UP on the Mustang Wagon if it's the same one..joe

Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
Gotgas
Alliance Member

Here's a couple more.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #17
Spity

This one was made from a 4 door wagon into a 2 door hardtop wagon.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Squablow
Old School HAMBer

Here's some good 2 door wagon conversion reading. I'd do it if I ever ran across the right station wagon.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...highlight=nova
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
pimpin paint
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I'd forgotten about the Mustangs. I think that was a fiberglass kit offered in the late '60s; I remember seeing several of those. They were well designed, and pretty good-looking.

The 2-door GTO wagon sounds great -- I'd fantasized about that exact conversion myself. I'd like to see it!

And, yeah, converting a 4-door is a lot of work. But there are a fair number of guys who really like 2-door wagons, and a few who are willing to go to the trouble.

I found this '66 Ford picture somewhere on the web, maybe here on the HAMB, but I suspect it's a photochop:

Hey Tony,

Besides the Carrozzeria Intermeccanica/Frank Reisner built Mustang wagons, I think Ghia also built a couple. Ford Motor Company did alota business with Carrozzeria Ghia, and bought them outright in 1969.
I suspect the reason that not many Ghia/Intermeccanica Mustangs were built is their construction costs. Intermeccanica was building the Apollo at about this time and didn't sell many of those either.
In England, coachbuilder Harold Radford built twelve Aston Martin DB5 (think James Bond's car,here) wagons, or more correctly "shooting brakes"in teabag lingo. These, like the Mustang, were built from 2dr.GTs

Swankey Devils C.C
"Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"
Old 07-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
Xdrag48

I saw this one on the web.It is a 67 chevelle station wagon 2dr.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67-2doorSW.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	709648   Click image for larger version

Name:	67-2doorSW2.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	709649  
Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
clean cut creations

We did some paint work on this now 2 door '66 chevelle wagon for Chuck Hanson of the Horsepower TV Fame. We redid some of the base color and flamed it. The guy Chuck bought it from originally built it as a Phantom 300 wagon. It Looked totally stock restored. Fooled alot of people. Chuck bought it and he ripped out the stock drivetrain and installed a zz4 and overdrive on his show. He also installed the Bear breaks and interior on other shows.
The 1/4's are from an El Camino and the rear slider windows are from a 64 Chevelle 2 door wagon. The fabwork is pretty slick in person, but is showing it's age.
Go here for the pics of the work we did:
http://www.cleancutcreations.com/chchevelle.html
Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #22
Xdrag48

I had seen Chuck Hansons car on his show once and had ask about it but nobody knew what i was talking about.Glad to see it in a better picture than just a quick look on tv.I like it....

Steve

Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #23
dabirdguy

I'm working on one (55 Merc):
Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #24
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean cut creations View Post

We did some paint work on this now 2 door '66 chevelle wagon for Chuck Hanson of the Horsepower TV Fame. We redid some of the base color and flamed it. The guy Chuck bought it from originally built it as a Phantom 300 wagon. It Looked totally stock restored. Fooled alot of people.
I like that a lot. I'd prefer it in a solid color, though (no flames).
Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #25
Kustom Komet

I saw this '65 (I think) Buick at the Glendale AZ swap meet a few years back. It was absolutely factory looking to the last detail, in and out, looked like a concept car. It had a '57 Chevy fender and a few wheels in the back.

-KK
Old 07-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #26
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Wow, very subtle.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
ryno
Old School HAMBer

i kind of got lost in your dream here,
but i think , actually i know from experience, if you start out with a el camino instead of a car every mount is the same from a 4 door wagon. so all you ready need to do is cut the roofs off and cut out the back el co wall. the seat belt and rear seat mounts are already there from teh rear seats in teh elco storage that is at the front of the "bed". my old partener and built a 67 2 door this way. the hard part is finding the correct windows.we used a 64 2 door wagon glass, but had to glue them in, they where a tad to small to make over lap like the orginal design.i dont have any pics of this wagon, as this was before the digital craze we live in now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart3406 View Post
I don't know how do-able this would actually be and I know I don't have either the
bucks or the body work skills required to pull this off - but how about this for a
possible "phantom" two-door wagon??? Start with the body shell of a '64-'65 Chevelle 300 2-door wagon. Replace the Chevelle doors with a pair from a '65 Pontiac Tempest 2-door sedan. Then, replace the front fenders, front bumper, tailgate, rear bumper and tailights with '65 Pontiac Tempest 4-door wagon pieces. Then take a pair of '65 Tempest 4-door wagon quarter panels, cut and discard the front portion and join the remaining rear section with the front portion from of a pair of Tempest 2-door sedan quarter panels, to create a pair of "phantom" Tempest 2-door wagon quarter panels. Cut the Chevelle 2-door wagon quarters off and instal the "phantom" Tempest 2-door quarter panels. Then, use the hood, grill, exterior chrome trim, dash cluster, front bucket seats, console and interior pieces from a '65 GTO . Presto! A factory appearing "double phantom" GTO 2-door wagon! "Double phantom", because 1) there were no GTO wagons produced and 2) no 2-door Tempest wagons either! It'd be a lot of work and a lot of money but very cool!

mart
================================================== ====
Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
corsair
Grenade Inspector

This is probably out of the HAMB range, though it was introduced in 1961. It's always been my favorite example of the 2 door wagon breed.

Volvo P1800 Estate. Very neat little car that almost never was.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

Here is one I did for a friend, I trade fab work for body/paint work with him.......

Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

Under construction.....

Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #31
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

Here is another one I did. A Ford wagon using Ranchero parts......

Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #32
pimpin paint
Old School HAMBer

Hey Kev,

That's some killer fab/metalwork, there! Most people wouldn't be able to fathom the number of hours it would take to fab & finish that.
SWEET!!

Swankey Devils C.C.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #33
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Those are great, Kev. Any pictures of the Ford in paint yet?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #34
cooljunk
Grenade Inspector

Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #35
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

The Ford is not painted yet.

Last edited by Kiwi Kev; 07-17-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #36
rpol7966
Grenade Inspector

The '66 Chevelle wagon and the tan '65 Buick wagon were both done by a very close friend of mine. He is an absolute magician when it comes to building his creations. The red '66 Chevelle was built to be a totally stock version of what GM could have offered. The '65 Buick wagon is owned by another friend in the Tuscon area. It is also built as a stock unit on the premise of a 2 door hardtop wagon.
Both cars were built from rustfree 4 door wagons from Arizona. These are just two of many cars that my friend has built.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #37
plodge55aqua

Heres a What would of been.. in 55..
Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #38
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidoutRivi63 View Post
I'd love to see the Vista Cruiser T Bird! always liked the vista cruiser concept, just not the wagon itself.
Here it is. Sorry about the crappy photo:

Here's another Mustang; this time a GT350 clone:

...and two Novas. It seems that the Nova is by far the most popular subject for this kind of conversion:

Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #39
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol7966 View Post
The '66 Chevelle wagon and the tan '65 Buick wagon were both done by a very close friend of mine.
He's clearly very talented. Who is he?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #40
Toner283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgas View Post
Here's a couple more.

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the first pic was Pinto wagon. The ones with the windows in the back look good, but this one looks the opposite of good IMO.

What is the car in the second one? Full custom?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #41
VirgilHilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toner283 View Post
The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the first pic was Pinto wagon. The ones with the windows in the back look good, but this one looks the opposite of good IMO.

What is the car in the second one? Full custom?
Looks like Ford prototype that is cross between the 1953 X100 and the 55 Ford Mystere in a wagon version. Very cool.

Plymouth Plainsman I thought that looked familiar!

“I really admire qualities in others that I don’t possess. Subtlety being one…”
Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #42
Mikey's Pinstriping

Here's two
My 92 Buick work car made into 2 door delivery. Yes it's a late model but sure is dependable and cold ac for Texas heet. Getting ready to do it in pearl white with HOK purple flames, bags and steelies.
The 63 was built by a friend in Houston. It is sold since this pics was taken. He's craazy about doing this type of stuff. I remember back in the 90's he could not find a 62 Chevy bubble top so he made one.

Mikey
www.MikeysPinstriping.com
"does bad thangs to good wagons"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buick Wag Wheels 426.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	709894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture%20003[1].jpg
Views:	286
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	709895  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #43
Gotgas
Alliance Member

It's the Plymouth Plainsman of 1956. Doesn't really fit the criteria of a modified production body, but it WAS considered for production. It's a fully usable car - in fact it was converted to right-hand drive and currently has a 440 in it.

That car has the most amazing history. Here is a story circa 1980 about it's life up to that point. http://www.plymouthbulletin.com/Plainsman/Page1.htm
Old 07-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #44
Toner283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgas View Post
It's the Plymouth Plainsman of 1956. Doesn't really fit the criteria of a modified production body, but it WAS considered for production. It's a fully usable car - in fact it was converted to right-hand drive and currently has a 440 in it.

That car has the most amazing history. Here is a story circa 1980 about it's life up to that point. http://www.plymouthbulletin.com/Plainsman/Page1.htm

That is friggin COOL!! The fact that a show car/dream car was actually used & has survived is unreal. You couldn't invent a better history than that car has.

Thanks for the link.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #45
drdave
Alliance Member

Here's a 64 Polara wagon 2 dr conversion I ran across. I have a 63 Plymouth wagon I was gonna do the same thing to. The guy walked me through it and short of the welding the front of the 1/4 panel in from the 2dr, the rest is nearly bolt in on these bodies. The entire window frame area is the same stamping across all body styles; 2dr, 4dr, ht and sedan....cut out the post and screw in the 2dr weatherstrip channel.

Also attached the photoshop of my plymouth as it would have come out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64dodge2dr.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	711578   Click image for larger version

Name:	2drPlymouth.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	711586  
Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #46
pimpin paint
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdave View Post
Here's a 64 Polara wagon 2 dr conversion I ran across. I have a 63 Plymouth wagon I was gonna do the same thing to. The guy walked me through it and short of the welding the front of the 1/4 panel in from the 2dr, the rest is nearly bolt in on these bodies. The entire window frame area is the same stamping across all body styles; 2dr, 4dr, ht and sedan....cut out the post and screw in the 2dr weatherstrip channel.

Also attached the photoshop of my plymouth as it would have come out.
Hey,
These Mopar wagons both look like something Elwood Engle, head of design at Chrysler in the post Exner era, would have signed off on for production.
They built and sold the C body wagons in hardtop form, why not the B body platform? Sad that Mopar then, as now, was so fucked up internaly, management wise! The cars Exner and Engle could have built with Earl/Mitchell budgets.

Swankey Devils C.C.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #47
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

(drdave): Those are nice looking cars!

Last edited by 50Fraud; 07-21-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #48
Chaoticcustoms
Grenade Inspector

so...any idea where the plainsman is now?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #49
chickenridgerods

Quote:

Nice wagon, except why was the C-pillar left in the stock location. Would have looked far better if it'd been moved back to more evenly divide the three side windows, or at least make the middle window similar in length to the front side window. Just my $0.05.

There have also been some same-era Chevy wagons built, some with better execution than others. A guy on ChevyTalk is also building a nice "phantom" '58 2-door "Nomad" wagon with the Impala triple taillights and other features; it only shares a few traits with the regular '58 2-door and Nomad wagons.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts: Hilborn & misc
- '32-34 Ford RPU parts, radiator cap, rear fenders
Old 07-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #50
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenridgerods View Post
Nice wagon, except why was the C-pillar left in the stock location. Would have looked far better if it'd been moved back to more evenly divide the three side windows, or at least make the middle window similar in length to the front side window.
The builder agrees with you, but it's a little more difficult than it appears -- issues with the garnish moldings and stainless trim. Gary does intend to move it, but hasn't gotten around to it yet.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #51
pimpin paint
Old School HAMBer

[QUOTE=chickenridgerods;4138686]Nice wagon, except why was the C-pillar left in the stock location. Would have looked far better if it'd been moved back to more evenly divide the three side windows, or at least make the middle window similar in length to the front side window. Just my $0.05.

Hey,

The side windows (lights) in that Pontiac wagon are tempered glass an not laminated and therefore can't be jus' cut down to fit, at will. Too, the extra work to construct garnish mouldings in stainless and carbon steel would usher in a whole new series of challanges. There's alittle more involved than jus' puttying up a door opening, and makin' new trim pads!

Swankey Devils C.C.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #52
koolkemp
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenridgerods View Post
Nice wagon, except why was the C-pillar left in the stock location. Would have looked far better if it'd been moved back to more evenly divide the three side windows, or at least make the middle window similar in length to the front side window. Just my $0.05.

There have also been some same-era Chevy wagons built, some with better execution than others. A guy on ChevyTalk is also building a nice "phantom" '58 2-door "Nomad" wagon with the Impala triple taillights and other features; it only shares a few traits with the regular '58 2-door and Nomad wagons.

I would love to see what it would look like as a sedan delivery...always wanted a 61-64 Pontiac delivery!!!!!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=466490
Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #53
Special Ed
Old School HAMBer

Two door conversion on a '53. We leaned the B-pillars forward after this pic. Chopped top, pancaked hood...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0007.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	712363  
Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #54
33Tudor

There is a Steve Stanford illustration of what a 64 Impala wagon would like done in SS trim and as a 2-door. Looks cool, IMO.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #55
MrGasser

Saw this on another site : '66 Impala, first, 2-dr. conversion, second, sedan delivery side panels...oh yeah, a straight axle too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66 2 dr wgn 1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	712418   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 2 dr wgn 2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	712419  
Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #56
tecolote14
FNG

here are some photoshop ideas

Last edited by tecolote14; 07-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #57
Spity

Old 07-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #58
clean cut creations

Quote:
I like that a lot. I'd prefer it in a solid color, though (no flames).
So Did I, but Chuck insisted that we flame it. It needed rockchip repairs and some general bodywork freshening when we got to it. That wagon sees ALOT of road time. He drives the hell out of all of his Chevelles!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #59
chickenridgerods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpin paint View Post
The side windows (lights) in that Pontiac wagon are tempered glass an not laminated and therefore can't be jus' cut down to fit, at will. Too, the extra work to construct garnish mouldings in stainless and carbon steel would usher in a whole new series of challanges. There's alittle more involved than jus' puttying up a door opening, and makin' new trim pads!
All of the side windows are flat sheet and new ones could easily be made at a local glass shop. Yes, the trim would need to be modified, but given the work that's needed to convert to a 2-door in the first place, modifying the trim is not that much harder. The builder obviously has the skill; it simply takes time and patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkemp View Post
I would love to see what it would look like as a sedan delivery...always wanted a 61-64 Pontiac delivery!!!!!!
I know there are a couple of '62 Chevy SDL conversions floating around the internet. Pretty sure one of the guys is on the ChevyTalk forum.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts: Hilborn & misc
- '32-34 Ford RPU parts, radiator cap, rear fenders
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #60
Silent_Orchestra
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGasser View Post
Saw this on another site : '66 Impala, first, 2-dr. conversion, second, sedan delivery side panels...oh yeah, a straight axle too!
I like that!!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #61
chrome_fins
Grenade Inspector

what the heck is this?? its, um, unique. its well done, but looks like a concept car from the 50s. anybody know what it is?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #62
Gotgas
Alliance Member

Plymouth Plainsman

Concept car from 1956.

There is a post with a link to more information about it earlier in this thread.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #63
Brandi
Alliance Member

A buddy of mine's Ford (pic stolen from someone else):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_2147-vi.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	714021  
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #64
Django
Old School HAMBer

I think there was a guy on Chevelles.com that was building a '70 2 door wagon, but I don't know if he ever finished it.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #65
1957buick
FNG

I just love wagons. I would love to get a Cabilaro.

I wonder about trucks. It might be cool to see a old pickup like a Dodge or a Ford cargo bed connected like a Suburbon.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #66
oldskooloutlaw
Grenade Inspector

Lots of very good work and talent, But why? Somebody tell me this ain't real, it's like a local guy that bought a tall T coupe and then chopped the top. Maybe I ain't right but then...
Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #67
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskooloutlaw View Post
Lots of very good work and talent, But why? Somebody tell me this ain't real, it's like a local guy that bought a tall T coupe and then chopped the top. Maybe I ain't right but then...
If you have to ask, you aren't gonna get it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #68
BHfanGB
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome_fins View Post
what the heck is this?? its, um, unique. its well done, but looks like a concept car from the 50s. anybody know what it is?

It's the 1954 Plymouth Plainsman concept car. Google search Plainsman wagon for more pics.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #69
FestersGarage
Grenade Inspector

I always see this one here in Galveston, Tx. Im sure its the same one that
Mikey's Pinstriping has a pic of.

Looking to buy a 49-54 chevy 2 door running and driving in original condition
Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #70
sololobo
Old School HAMBer

Cool thread dudes, I love the 56 Plymouth Plainsman that Danny posted, having a MoPar thing myself. But the conversions are really some fine work. Thanx for showin'em folks. Sporting two two door wagons at the time, 56 Plymouth and 59 Ford Ranch Wagon, and lovin it!! ~Sololobo~
Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #71
Ramblur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I think there was a guy on Chevelles.com that was building a '70 2 door wagon, but I don't know if he ever finished it.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #72
cosmo
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957buick View Post
I just love wagons. I would love to get a Cabilaro.
I know some of you hate the Spellcheck police, BUT, this is the result if you search "Cabilaro" vs "Caballero".

True, you get wheels in both cases....

Cosmo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1957_Buick_Century_Caballero_Estate_Wagon.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	837911  
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #73
Lowriders Art Gallery

Currently building a 58 Edsel Delivery out of a 4dr wagon and the remains of a 57 Ford Delivery. Check out the pictures under Montana Hamber's . I also once took a 4dr 55 Ford and clipped on a 56 2dr hdtp. Not as difficult as it sounds. Lots of measuring and trimming.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #74
RG49MERC
BANNED

Don't forget the Buick hardtop wagon built by oz kustoms.I would kill to have that wagon..
Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #75
LeeVanWeelzupp
FNG

Stumbled on this thread tonight and was pleasantly surprised to find Ramblur had posted a pic of my 70 chevelle 2door wagon. thanks! It hasn't been on chevelles .com that I know of. Has been on yellow bullet a few times and youtube ricks wild wheelie wagon. This is one cool forum glad to be a member
Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #76
65COMET
Old School HAMBer

There is a nice 64 Fairlane 2dr wagon on page 97,#1922,on the Thunderbolts thread on here.I don't know how to move it over here. ROY.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 AM   #77
Kustom Komet

Like this:

-KK
Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #78
OahuEli
Alliance Member

How about this one? Rare indeed!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #79
Kustom Komet

Please tell me that's a photoshop.

-KK
Old 08-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #80
UnsettledParadox

no love for a 4 door wagon, im gonna sit in my corner and sulk!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #81
OahuEli
Alliance Member

lol Try not to take it too hard. After all, the 4 door wagons are the parents of the minivan...oh...
Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #82
Rich Venza
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

-Shiny

I would sell an organ to own this car!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #83
thunderplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Venza View Post

...ONE OF THE UGLIEST CARS I'VE EVER SEEN. All of you traditional guys don't take exception to gaudy wheels 16" and larger. I don't get it.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #84
beanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderplex View Post
...ONE OF THE UGLIEST CARS I'VE EVER SEEN. All of you traditional guys don't take exception to gaudy wheels 16" and larger. I don't get it.

Goofy old bastud
Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #85
beanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
Originally Posted by thunderplex
...ONE OF THE UGLIEST CARS I'VE EVER SEEN. All of you traditional guys don't take exception to gaudy wheels 16" and larger. I don't get it

The guy you're making fun of knows more about traditional cars than you two will ever learn in the next fifty years about them. The guy is a living legend...
Whu-uuut!? Thunderplex... a living legend? In his own mind, maybe. And maybe, just maybe Brenda thinks so, but I doubt even that.
He wouldn't know a nice car (OR a cool sounding exhaust) if it bit him on the ass! Living legend? Nah, just a goofy old bastud.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #86
Lobucrod
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oahueli View Post
how about this one? Rare indeed!
eeeeeeeewww!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #87
pro1street
Grenade Inspector

How about a Bugwagen?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #88
metalshapes
Tech Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1street View Post
How about a Bugwagen?
You dont need to post a crappy photoshop of a Bug wagon.

They acctually built them.

Name:	dyn001_original_640_403_pjpeg_2585886_c44007ba09aa831016935f166c023aea.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1052291

I have lots of pics of other coachbuilt wagons that are Off Topic as well...
Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #89
NONAME
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Venza View Post
Hell I'd sell the piano too!

Reminds me of the 52 Plymouth that is out in my field rusting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old stuff 006.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1052331  

www.oldcarglassguy.com
Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #90
OahuEli
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1street View Post
How about a Bugwagen?
Actually, I like this one better than the real one. Imagine this with a Toronado transaxle setup in it!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #91
metalshapes
Tech Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OahuEli View Post
Actually, I like this one better than the real one.
Really?

As an artistic achevement it about compares to a toddler with a crayon...

And it is Off Topic.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #92
OahuEli
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshapes View Post
Really?

And it is Off Topic.
To each his own Bub.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #93
pro1street
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshapes View Post
Really?

And it is Off Topic.
Actually you're the one off topic here trying to be Mr. Critic.Besides I think this would be considered a pre-64 custom.