Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Since we seem to have lost our big chearleader from the OC, I thought I'd post up a wassup thread, and see if folks want to post updates.

I'm going by my car tomorrow, to drop off the Winfield lower skirts and my headlight assemblies. My body guy asking for the latter is a good sign. I went to the '52 style headlights so we'll see what all needs to changed with the bezels and mounting hardware.

I've had delays here and there. The last big one was my hood. My original hood had rust repair all along the front of it. It looked like it had rusted through, and that someone had just crammed a bunch of filler in there. So I bought another hood from the same guy I bought my replacement trunk lid from, and I thought it would be all good. My body guy would just need to round the corners.

Body guy did find that my front end was in a bit too much, like the old hood had been pushed in and then repaired without regard to the dimensions. This is the third of three big delays. The first one was my driver's side rear quarter having an inch of fill over the sheetmetal, like it had been hit before. The other delay was the trunk pan, took a while to make a new one, my one was full of bondo over old rusty crap.

I think the car is very close to final paint, as it's been in various stages of primer for a while. I'm planning on painting it gloss black, but am looking at some very dark blue colors right now too.

How about you guys?

2. budhaboy

budhaboy

just got mine delivered to my house...discovered I have a far far longer journey to travel before I acheive my dreams...I've been finding myself getting excited about the challenge one moment, and wondering if I've bitten off far more than I can chew the next.

3. Mines sitting waiting for me to finish my truck. At the rate I am going I may never get to it. Real life keeps getting in the way. Sigh.:(

4. Mine's waiting on me to raise $500 to buy a parts van for the motor and tranny and some brake parts. I doubt I'll have it ready for the Twist Off.

5. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

Just got my '52 hardtop last Thursday, haven't kicked it off the trailer yet, can't wait to get started, picks of 52-54 merc's anyone

6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I should be on the road in next few weeks. :)

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Mines on hold for now.I'm still unemployed and going to school for a new career.I buy some parts here and there when I sell some.I'm trying to save some money,so I can have sldnmatt do my body work.He does nice work.

Attached Files:

8. I bought a bench seat for mine, I believe it's 1970 GM. I will snap a pic. MF'er is heavy!!! I also picked up a back seat to see if would look different and fit. Django or someone had commented that my back seat looked a bit small so I wanted to have options.

9. Kind of like the ever revolving color wheel that you go through:D

10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

John what grill did you decide on?The De Soto or the ford?What skirts are you going to use?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  11. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

My '63 Meteor is still for sale (hey, it's still a Mercury!).
    If I could find a decent 'rust-free' parts car (that's not at the other end of the world), it'd still be a project. Until then, it's for sale.

12. I want to do the Ford grille. I have Winfields lower lip skirts, we'll see how much work it will take to use them.

13. S...L...O...W but, steady. trying to get the hood to fit better.

14. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cool!Your Merc is going to be one nice Merc when finished.

15. 00 MACK

00 MACK

16. I have a crap load of questions about window gaskets/ weatherstripping but I think I'll try to arrange an hour with a Mercury pro like sldnMatt and pay him for his time to explain how the gaskets all work.

17. I bought a new wiring kit for mine to undo the terrible hack job rats nest that is in mine. Started to take it apart to do the deed and haven't had time to follow through, so put it back together enough to drive....couldn't help myself. LOL.

18. I only drive mine four times before I decided to repaint mine. Once I have it back I plan to put a few thousand miles on it!!!!!!

19. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Sucks, but mine's for sale.

20. I stopped by mine today, I'll download some pics tonite or tomorrow nite. Car looks good. From what I can tell, he has to finish sanding the headlight area, and weld up the rounded corners on hood #2.

21. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

yea hoo

mines done after 7 years !

22. Congrats! I heard Dave Martinez did your interior, you have any pics?

23. My "Merc", that isnt a Mercury but a -51 baby-Lincoln is progressing. It will get an extended -51 Merc front so its close to Merc. Im stripping paint and collecting parts for the project...

Still looking for atleast one -51 Lincoln taillight housing in good condition (and two stainless "taillight lens holding clamps").

Attached Files:

• BL1.jpg
      BL1.jpg
      File size:
      248.2 KB
      Views:
  24. sunvalley54

sunvalley54
    Alliance Vendor

Still working on mine (54 Glass top) doing most the work myself with a few friends on stand by when I run into a snag! Just finished the real quarters and tonight will be finishing the rest of the body work so we can get it into some primmer and drop the Y-block in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  25. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I still need parts for the `49...I hear that Green Mountain Rockers are the best ones...Anyone on this coast have a set so I don`t have to pay freight from somewhere in the Atlantic?....Could also use a pair of 49-50 Rear Bumper ends....from the last bumper bracket hole out. Anyone have a mashed rear that has good corners?

26. Tons done, just locked up like skunk works waiting to post on the AREA 51 thread. Problem is Im going to pick up 3 more!!! A solid 51 twodoor, a 51 Lincoln fourdoor, and a 49 twodoor parts car that I want to use to convert the Lincoln to a twodoor like I did with AREA 51.

27. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

man you just dont stop lol...mine sadly just left the garage bound for someone else's. Oh well, next project is in the planning stages and for once in quite a while im actually excited about working in the garage again!!!!!! Someday i will own another merc', just not today

28. Dang, that was fast!!! Got a couple hard core hate mails so here goes, Ill post a few now. Got these out of a confidential file!!!

Here are a few from the other night after a drivability run!!!!
    FN' awesome!

Attached Files:

29. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

yes dave did do the interior! here are the only pictures i have of it right now. the flake wheel was only on it long enough to get the inside done and now it has a black impala wheel.

now i just need time to go somewhere in it!

Attached Files:

30. Looks awesome Ether, and there's something about your chop that is just perfect.

*Edit*

Wow your Merc looks great Bob. Did you supply the metal trim on the doors to Dave?