Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spurgin/Giovanine 1925 Chev Lakes Roadster Returns. 1948 SCTA Points Champion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Ernie Nagamatsu sent me pics of the Spurgin/Giovanine 1925 Chev lakes roadster which was unveiled at the Ventura Motorsports Gathering this past weekend.

Before I post the roadster pics I thought a recap would be in order.
    for the full story click here & here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1948 SCTA points champion car also broke its own record at every meet in 1948.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

March 1949 HOT ROD cover car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1954 Carl Borgh buys roadster minus engine. Runs a GMC 6.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert Cano buys roadster from Carl.

1999 David Lawrence finds car in Apple valley
    [​IMG]

2005 Ernie Nagamatsu buys roadster

2009 Return of a legend
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will post more pics as I upload them.

Enjoy!!!

Cheers
    Jimmy

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Hollywood-East likes this.
  2. miller91

miller91

You almost made me cry...such a sweet car, one of my favs. Great post (as usual).

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Allthough Very Cool, You should not Post that this car is RESTORED.

It is NOT YET fully restored & many aspects of the car are still incorrect.

I have Faith that it WILL be correct and that soon the ENGINE will be done & in the car. Mock Up Dummy engine in it now.

I have supplied a few parts for this car & actually have More parts to make the car more CORRECT if they are interested in making it 100%

AUTHENTIC is the only way to Restore a car as Super Cool as this & I just hope no more corners are cut just for the sake of making it whole again.

Saw it on Sunday and i have to say, This is a Time Piece that desreves to be FULLY RESTORED !

4. oj

oj

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I always loved that Roadster. I wouldn't mind seeing more people build the Old Chevy 4's in some cool configurations.

6. Totally agree, you are right it isn't restored I have had only 2 hrs sleep because I have been ogling the pics & Restored sounded better when I was typing the title. I accidentally deleted the first thread this is my 2nd attempt at posting the photos this morning.

I am well aware of the incorrect items on the car at the moment, I have studied the pics for 2-1/2 years so notice the little things. I IDed the header as been the one from the car which is why Curt gave the header to Ernie for the restoration. For me this car is to important to be squirrelled away until Fully Restored, I have faith that Ernie and the team will do right by the car and return it to the way it was & not over restore it like other early hot rods.

I am going to sleep now, I hope my reply is coherent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That is an awesome old car, it's great to see it resurrected.

8. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

9. autobilly

autobilly

Great pic's, then and now, of a seminal car in the "Hot Rod story".
    The resto looks on track to this cat, good on ya Ernie!

10. Jimmy B
    Great pic and story keep up the great work
    I guess some people just have nothing better to do than sit around and jump someones ass for using the wrong word !!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. bisbeefloyd

bisbeefloyd

I made it to Ventura for this event. I got a picture I thought was interesting.

[​IMG]

From left to Right. Giovanine's son Curt, Rufi's son ( I forgot his first name :(), I beilive this is Carl Borgh or his son , Spurgin's daughter Karin, and Ernie.

It was pretty impresive to see the car. Just amazing that they could get it to go so fast with what they had to work with.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  12. Great Pic. Great to see the families there and great Curt brought the 557 roadster down. Rufi's sons name is Craig. That is Kent Borgh Carl's son.

Tom Fritz painting looks amazing!

13. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

I just saw this post and now I have a huge hard on! Wow. Thanks for posting the info.
    Steve Glucoft
    Amocat Speed Emporium

14. autobilly

autobilly

I dig this pic!

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bttt despite some redx fade...I really like the white licked look 55 and 56...what a journey with so many milestones...when you see how many transitions this Hotrod went thru it's quite epic as they are all awesome in their own way...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022