Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Steering Wheel Adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Jul 5, 2009.

1. I've got a tilt and tele column on my 41 chev and adapters aren't readily available because of the telescopic function. So I made my own and it was easy and didn't cost a dime the way I like it.
    The original wheel and I'm after that piece in the middle of the spokes that bolts to the column

[​IMG]

here it is cut out and cleaned up a bit

[​IMG]

The three little holes actualy lined up perfect to the holes in the wheel so over to the drill press and opened them up. The holes were originaly for part of the telescopic underneath so those parts were drilled accordingly as well.

[​IMG]

tapped the holes for 1/4 20 thread to be able to bolt the wheel to, the holes were tapped all the way through in order to bolt the other pieces back on from the under side.

[​IMG]

all bolted together from underneath and used acorn nuts on the top side to attach the wheel

[​IMG]

and mounted back on the truck with a cap of some sort for the telescopic control that I had laying around

[​IMG]

and there you have, a bit of effort with no cost and it works like a charm

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Alot of work to come out looking like shit.

sdrodder likes this.
  3. That column belongs in what ever it came from.

Not a fan of tilt and strech columns in cars or trucks. You do what you want.

4. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Dang guys... tell us how you really feel! The man goes to the trouble to show us his work so let's all just kick him in the gut, right?
    What's wrong with keeping our snide remarks to ourselves when it comes to bashing another guy's stuff. I'm not a fan of tilt-n-tele in a hot rod, but it sure looks a lot better than the wheel he started out with.
    Sheesh!

clem likes this.

5. stop trying to be a bad ass, if you don't like it move on to another post

clem and bct like this.
  6. GARY?

GARY?

Nice, simple adapter. Price ain't bad either.

7. 50'custom

50'custom

i tried(and failed) that for my old baja bug,we had our "differences" and well,i just bought 1. Simple-free-and oh yea FREE !! i like it.

8. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I tell it like I see it and wont lie to you. If you can only accept positive comments,what does that tell you?

I do give an A for effort, and A++ for the pics though.

9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes it is really better to just not say anything...

10. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

This is about solving the problem not the looks.
    Good idea

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Actually i did the same kinda thing in my own daily beater.
    Its a 70 ford, european, and theres no kit to bolt that kind of steering wheel and the splines dont match any (that i tried at least) of the US models so i just cut an original wheel up and made my adapter.
    its hidden underneath the chrome cap anyway, it looks like it is its own 'wheel.
    Fast n cheap.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

solving the problem shouldn't sacrifice the looks. He solved the problem but it does look like ass. Maybe get one of the caps for the top of it. Of course the column is ugly so maybe it's a theme. :eek::D

13. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Great idea. The tech will be helpful to a lot of people who want to use various set ups. Don't listen to the guys that talk tough through a keyboard. If he doesn't like it, that's tough shit. You solved your problem at home with the materials and tools available. THAT'S hot rodding. Talking shit on someone else's work is NOT. (What a dick).

14. BJR

BJR

Tuff crowd.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Welcome to the HAMB people...

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

whatever..
    dude go out and enjoy your car..at least he can steer it now..
    Some of us only have projects ...
    I thought being inovative and making your own shit was a good thing.
    so who cares what column he chose to use..at least he's out making it work.
    Ive seen worse shit on here

17. For those that seen past the choice of column I appreciate it, it's simple tech that will work on any column and that was the point of the thread.
    Now as far as choosing that column, I got my reasons but realy don't need to explain myself here. The finished product is not there yet, I'm not sold on the swivel lock thing used to make the tele work but this truck is far from being road worthy at any rate if you couldn't tell by the background.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the post. True the column is rather bulky but as I have about a half dozen similar ones in the shed that is something I may be able to make use of down the line. A bit of paint and descabbing go a long way on those things too.

19. I often wonder what the shit flingers have done that makes them the elite's of the HAMB.

Perhaps they could show us the way....

20. budd

budd

i'll be cutting apart the screwed up steering wheel on my 55 fairlane today and using the center to mount another wheel, thanks.

21. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Lets see the checkbook rod ya drive whilst baggin on a guy who holds do it yerself roddin in his hands. Jelouse little princess who'da been cryin cause the autozone doesnt have an adaptor.
    BTW cool blue flake wheel.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hehehe...touche

23. Billet

Billet

Thanks for the post- it fixed the problem! Do YOUR thing
    Good Luck

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good solution, Phil.

Screw those nay-sayers........I haven't seen any of their tech threads.

25. Crankhole

Crankhole

Nice simple tech....thanks.

26. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Great idea! solves getting a decent - uncrushed steering wheel on My OT tractor that was damaged when it's shed failed under too much snow - ever try to find an adaptor for a Yanmar 2310D? HAHA HAHA

27. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

As an off-shoot from the original post on this thread... I've got a '52 Chevy truck that I just installed an S-10 column in. The customer would love for me to retain the original '52 steering wheel and I'd love to surprise her with it. Has anyone done this and if so... any tips to keep me from havin' to re-invent the wheel?
    Thanks in advance!

28. Good solution to a common problem.

Pay no mind those who spew forth intellectual diarrhea from their fingertips; they're the ball busting crowd and have few <i>real</i> people to associate with. If anything, pity them.

I love my "keep me from killing stupid people" pills :D

29. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

If you had bolted a piece-o-crap splineless zinc wheel adapter on there all the know it alls woulda knowingly nodded their heads and approvingly said 'yep, that's real old school right there, good job".

30. Tony

Tony

Huh..wondered that too a few times...

Nice tech Phil. It solved the problem, cost you nothing..and looks like it may help a few others as well...Can't ask for much more than that.

Tony