Register now to get rid of these ads!

nailhead 6x2 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chadman, Jul 2, 2009.

1. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

I have a 1963 Buick riviera 401 nailhead that runs and only has 63000 miles on it! I have a weiand 6x2 set-up that is old! I plan on rebuilding the 6 ford 94 carbs I have and running this thing with headers and a 4 speed! Some people have told me I need to run a bigger cam, and other say its a freaking nailhead and its fine the way it is dead stock, so I guess my question is does anybody really know if I need to put a bigger cam in this thing or just bolt this set-up on and run it like it is??? any help would be great! Thanks

2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Why would you need more than the stock 401 will give you, especially with 6 carbies and a light weight car?

3. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

The factory cams had a relatively aggressive grind for the day. Nailheads can take/use more carb than many of the same displacement. A single 850 on a stock 401 will usually do very well.
    With that said, setting up 6 carbs for a street car can be a big task. Especially if you plan to run them with straight linkage.
    If you set them up with progressive linkage, you should have little trouble getting them to run ok. Just remember the early carbs don't need/want more than about 1 1/2psi fuel pressure or they can flood.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Dual Quad nailed it... put 'em on go...

5. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Not sure that intake can operate with progressive linkage???????
    Duane.

6. 'Mo

'Mo

Can someone please verify this?

I have an Offy Nailhead log, and was about to order Eelco progressive linkage. Is this compatible?

Would I do better to order the low profile version prog. linkage? Thanks.

7. The log intake was intended to run straight linkage...................That dosen't mean I haven't seen progressive used. I know this dosen't help much but just look at the design of the manifold and you can see it really should be run using all six carbs at once.
    I talked to a guy that was running just the two center carbs, on his 401, and he said it ran just fine........
    [​IMG]

8. panic

panic

Straight linkage + 6 × 2 manifold = undriveable.
    Read the little name on the manifold.

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Totally untrue

10. panic

panic

If you say so....

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

12. nail-head

nail-head

Are you planning on running this in the Riviera?

I think you'll have hood clearance problems if you are.

13. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Someone needs to do a search for the tread (Yet another 6x2 dilemma) and post a link as I have no clue how to do a link

There is tons of very good info on there on setting up a 6x2 nailhead

14. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I actually run that set-up. 322 Nailhead, 6x2 offy intake, six 97's and straight linkage, in my model a coupe, and it is a pleasure to drive on the street.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pic by Dan Collins

15. I run the 6x2 also.

Not the greatest engine pic, but I'll put up more.

Attached Files:

16. Another thing that should be considered...........the stock Buick motor sits at 5* and most after market intakes have this same 5* to keep the carbs level. The 6X2 Drag Star and all others I have seen are level to the motor!
    To me this is what makes this motor look so cool.......LEVEL.

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's in the te3ch page..here's a direct link:

Dickster helps with 6x2

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

Thanks for the reply this helps a bunch! I like the carbs to sit level also, its going in a 30 a coupe and I have no problem running any linkage, just wanted to know what works well and what doesn't!

20. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

You can certainly run progressive linkage on the 6x2 setup. This would allow you to run on only the two center carbs at low to mid throttle, then have the end carbs come in at about half to full throttle. This is my preferred way to set up a street car, as it allows low fuel consumption at light throttle, then all carbs are in when the pedal hits the floorboard. Even when 'draggin' the pedal hit the toeboard and all carbs are working.

CTFUZZ is correct that the intake was designed to run straight linkage. This is because it was designed as a full competition setup used for wide open throttle.
    Being that carbs have an idle circuit (unlike mechanical fuel injection-Hilborn, Algon, Kinsler) they can be made to run on the street with only a mild amount of carb tuning.
    The intake will work ok with only the center carbs running as it is an open plenum on each bank using equalizer tubes in between the two sides. Same for runing progressive linkage.
    You can run it either way, I would personally run progressive as opposed to straight for street use, but that is only my opinion. Not to say that straight linkage doesn't work, I just like being able to run primary and secondary circuits on street cars. I run my 2x4 401 with progressive linkage for this reason (factory carbs, no idle circuit in front carb).