Register now to get rid of these ads!

Something different, "El Ramblero".... My sons first custom **UPDATES**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autobodyed, Jul 2, 2009.

1. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

my oldest son (19) is really into cars, and is always asking to use one of mine, (which i don't mind at all) but i decided it was time for us to do something for him. he wanted something different, that when you go to a show, you don't see 20 of the same car, so we decided to do a 65 rambler classic 2dr. hardtop. it has factory buckets with console shift, and tilt wheel, 287 v-8. we started a different rambler last year and bailed on it when we found this rust free car online. we'll be doing a lowride 60's custom theme, with air bags, candy blue body with white roof, and white and blue diamond pleat interior. here's some pics of the car before and in it's current state.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that's it for now, try to get it running maybe this weekend, then onto the body work, interior, and paint. we'll update as we roll along.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. 2-TONED

2-TONED

LOOKIN GOOOD!!
    Nope there sure wont be 20 of those at every show.

3. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

Looks good,can't wait to see the finished product.

4. cool
    got to love the old kenosha vibrators
    tk

5. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

When I was 19 I drove a civic. That's gonna be sick! Good job so far.

6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Had me scared, I read 'El Ramblero" and I thought you were going to whack the roof off and try to make an El Camino/Ranchero style car out of it, but you and your son clearly have to much taste for that. Good work!

7. Cool! A friend of mine had a REAL clean 65 4dr when we were in college. I always thought it was a pretty cool car. Your son's is gonna be totally sharp...can't wait to see it! I really like the chrome 5 slots and narrow whites.

8. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

Coming along nicely!

9. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

I love seeing an orphan brought back from the dead! That little 287 is a stout little motor too, I've got one in my 63 Rambler Classic 770 Wagon!

10. BBobb

BBobb

"DITTO"

Looking good!!! Helping to keep the youth interested in the hobby.....priceless!!!!!!!!!!

11. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

once upon a time i had a 59 rambler 4 door cool little cars they are, and that blue is sharp

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Lookin' good...I always thot the '64's were good looking cars, but that '65 has it goin' on...not bad for a 19 year old...

R-

13. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Thanks for keepin that 287.
    Its 287 times cooler now.

Jeff

14. Cool as heck!

Where did you find those stamped slotted wheels??

15. I wish my Dad would have helped me build anything when I was 19, he just never understood my infatuation with cars. Kudos to you, you are one freaking awesome Dad. And where did you get those wheels?

16. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I like it. The name is corny as all get out, but it's all good, man! Looks like it's gonna be sick ride! Have fun with it. :D

17. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

first off, i need to thank all my friends who are chipping in and helping get this project done. probably have about 6 months of after work and weekends into this car already. even though the kid is still learning, i gotta say he's been here helping every minute work is being done , getting hands on experience of what it takes to do an entire car like this. and thanks to you guys for the kind words. that's pretty funny about whacking the roof, never thought about that with the name! the odometer showed only 33k, and the inside of the motor was spotless, never even thought about putting a different motor in it, no sbc that's for sure! and somebody gave me those slots still in the original box! i knew they'de come in handy some day. thanks guys.

18. That would look right at home parked next to Bubba's Valiant.:cool:

God bless the orphans!:D

19. Nice attention to detail.
    Keep us posted on progress

20. thats gonna be a fun car, nice job

Brad

21. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

It can be tough being a first generation (inyour family) car guy

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

23. farna

farna

I want finished pics to run in my little AMC Magazine! Really nice keeping the 287, and those sparker wire looms are a real trick touch. If you need any advice/help on the Rambler specific things just let me know! I'm real familiar with most early 60s Ramblers, my 63 is mechanically the same as that 65. Well, not mine specifically, but 63-66 Rambler Classics and Ambassadors are practically the same mechanically and the glass interchanges. Body panels interchange 63-64 and 65-66 (lines changed between those ranges).

24. kustomkat

kustomkat

I like... Definately not a ME-TOO car..

25. Ruiner

Ruiner

I second that, and while my family is starting to accept my obsession, they still have yet to grasp how deep that obsession runs, or why I get so pissy when they toss my vintage magazines, catalogs, artwork and parts around...to them it isn't worth anything, and to me it's priceless...

26. boldventure

boldventure

A good answer to the; "hot-rod Rambler?" question!

27. you have a good Dad, take full advantage of it. Learn everything he will teach you and don't take ANYTHING for granted. I only wish I could have had someone teach me at your age. I had to learn the hard way, I started working at a body shop when I was 19 or 20 (can't really remember anymore), and started as a buffer. I was lucky enough to have a painter that didn't believe in using any pnuematic tools, all elbow grease.

28. off-beat

off-beat

That car's coming out sweet, I look forward to seeing it around. (current stratford resident)

29. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

There's some serious skills at work here,,and, uhh , on a RAMBLER!
    Really, it looks great.. Orphan cars like this should be the real collectors items!

30. Ramblero...I thought I was gonna see a photo of a rambler cut into a "ranchero" style car...
    I love the hardtop...it's going to look great. Here's a little photo-shop version of my old Ramblero....63 American with the c-piller moved forward. Wish I'd done this before I sold the car to "Fatasswhitewalls" at the '03 HAMB drags.

Attached Files: