Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs ID This Please Weird Custom Display

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarylarry, Jun 28, 2009.

1. scarylarry

scarylarry

I bought this giant fiberglass display/model car at an auction today and was wondering if anyone has one like it and knows what it is from? It's 5' long (or about). I kinda dig it...just have to find a spot for it! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. banditomerc

banditomerc

why not turn it into a pedal car?

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

OK OK you twisted my arm enough....I'll take it.

4. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Kinda looks like it was supposed to be the Batmobile.

5. scarylarry

scarylarry

Not marked anywhere, solid bottom, HAD to be some kind of display piece!? Got me...

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Looks kinda Chrysler-ish to me. Could it be some sort of factory design studio model? There is a thread on here about a factory 1955 Willys wagon model, from the Willys design studio. Unfortunately that model was severely damaged, in a shipping accident.

7. Neat score! Don't recall ever having seen anything like it before.I wonder if someone make a permanent mold for it or it was a one shot deal.The detail seems to suggest a permanent mold.Is it impregnated glass cloth or solid resin? Could have been a movie prop.I will follow this one as my curiosity is aroused.Too bad about that Willys wagon;hope that can be repaired.

8. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I was thinking the mopar styling model too..

9. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

bat mobile or Chrysler....40-50's when they started coming out with fins and space stuff....looking way advance for its time.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno, but what I do know is, it's uber cool!
    Doc

11. scarylarry

scarylarry

Looks to be solid resin. The Willys looks a lot more detailed, unless this was an preliminary type model. For sure not the Batmobile.

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

Deff a late 50s Chrysler/Plymouth front with a tall greenhouse and exagerated fins. I'm not seeing the OE design thing. The bumper is too plain, and the fins too tall.
    Just a WAG here, but I'm thinking a display, a kid's ride, or something along those lines. It's supposed to evoke the feel, but is not an exact copy.

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Late 50s mopar inspired for sure.

14. scarylarry

scarylarry

You are right, the fins are way too tall to be a design piece. I'm going with store display unless someone knows something for sure. :) Thanks for the input.

15. Squablow

Squablow

The front end design says '59 Plymouth to me. I'd like to know what's underneath that flat black paint and silver window piant. I'd say this was definitely repainted at one time, what's underneath will probably shed some light on it's origins.

16. froghawk

froghawk

Don't think it's a styling model; looks a little too "cartoony". My guess is store display or some kinda 3D sign.

17. I agree about the 3-D sign theory... looks like it was meant as a pole-topper. Reminds me of the shoes used for hanging signs outside old shoe stores.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  18. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

It looks like a 1957 Plymouth Fury,but the proportions are off. Maybe a quick prototype. I have and still do work for automotive design studio on a contract
    basis. But the models built now are made from clay. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

19. scarylarry

scarylarry

The bottom is red, def. repainted.

fasttimes, I dig the Peterbilt as a model, not the slanty side windows on a real truck...looks like a Freightliner fleet truck. As if anyone here cares! :)

20. strawberry

strawberry

is there another color under the black??? it seems like I saw this thing before somewhere ...but I just can't remember off hand where..its kinda like a cristine deal..
    where did you find it..I think I saw it in florida or indiana years ago.

21. Has a mix of various elements - nose looks Plymouth, top Chrysler/DeSoto, fins exaggerated '57 Lincoln, proportions are a tad narrow. Does it show any signs of mounting hardware on it anywhere? That might be a clue. But genercized for sure.

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You'll never fit in it.

23. bohmer2

bohmer2
    from Thayer, MO

Fins looked DeSoto to me to, I saw a 59 desoto four door a couple weeks ago that it reminded me of because of how far up the fins start. Its cool, but it needs paint, the suede look isnt good for it.

24. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Kinda looks like the cars from the "Liminey Sniket" movie Jim Carey did a few years back. Maybe a prop?
    Good luck,
    Al:cool:

25. :)It looks like it wants to be a mailbox on your front lawn :cool:

26. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

I would have to agree with CADILLAC AL - movie prop.

27. 51delivery

51delivery

It is larger than most but it may be a design school or design contest model. Like the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild contest.

28. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Don't let Plowboy borrow it, or he will have a go-kart body.

Chris

29. I wonder if it was a lobby display for the movie Christine or at a video store etc. See if the roof was originally white!

30. James427

James427
    BANNED

Looks la lot like a 1960 Desoto I had recently in the roof and fins. Front end has the Fury look and also like a 57 Studebaker.

Could it be from a place like a Disney attraction or an autoshow display where they were setting up a future city and had "futuristic" cars in the set?

Attached Files: