Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thirties era T Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Stokes, Jun 26, 2009.

1. KiwiKev emailed me and said "You should post this build on the HAMB". I replied "do you think its worthy of the HAMB?" So here I am posting the build of my T roadster thats kinda happening all by accident.

First up, this place has been fantastic for me - a Kiwi that once worked and lived in the States and attended mainly CA events. Hats off to Ryan and the team that have brought us an up to date hang out for traditional hot rodders worldwide.

The event coverage and project builds are VERY inspiring. By day I work at the NZ Hot Rod Magazine, but by night and some weekends I love to fabricate and weld. I have been fortunate to be mentored by some highly talented guys that lead to the build of Project 29.

That car is sold and is heading to Utah so I started to build my dream sixties era '32 Ford hiboy roadster like the Dennis Kyle roadster. See another build thread of mine on here (plus one pic below). But two things have happened slowing progress of the 32.

One, Squeak Bell found this T roadster body (see shots of just the black body) that is supposed to be raced by Larry Shinoda, I bought it as I had a 25 T that got away (the mocked up rusty pic). I kicked myself on that so I asked Squeak to locate one - what a true gentleman he was in the entire process!

Then secondly, a friend has a restored Model A that he wants to hot rod with a beam axle, hairpins and 327 & four speed. So after seeing my 32 chassis we strike a deal where I get all the original A running gear.

So I thought I had better get started on the T if I were able to score the appropriate gear for a thirties/forties era stripped down T that may have raced at the dry lakes, kinda Multi Aldrich to Isky style if you will.

Attached Files:

2. Whilst waiting for all the running gear I decided to get the body mocked up on the original frame (small & narrow!) and sit my twin carb four banger engine in to get an idea of how things may look. Then I started to frame the body up with 5/8" round tube.

I have decided that I will chop the lower screen two inches to match the top one which I will run with the 21 inch wheels but if I swap some 16 inch wires on I will remove the top screen all together - just to have fun with the different looks.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Rad. Rad. Rad.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. miller91

miller91

5. I used the round tube as that is typical of air craft build themes of the era I guess but around the door opening is inch square tube.

The steel frame work attaches to the chassis with the original body mount brackets in their original locations and the steel frame work has gussets in some places and the seat riser ties the whole body frame together rear solid. The toe board risers are from my fathers Brookville bodied Model A when they put a new floor in it

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and robber grin like this.
  6. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

very neat build. Hambworthy? Seriously? I mean seriously, this is way cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Then I got a flat front cross member folded up that would kick the front axle out and down in front of the car but new steel welds better to new steel rather than rusty steel so I decided to build a new chassis from 4" x 2" channel like a Model A chassis.

I like to make everything look like its rivetted together so all the crossmembers have rivets welded in from behind. For the purists, yes I did use an original T item - the rear crossmember kicked up T inches.

I think the depth of the chassis adds to the side profile well. I was worried it would look too big but I am happy with the results.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Finally, a build thread worth following. Good work !!!!!

9. Thanks for the great feedack guys. Its really rewarding when someone else digs what you do.

So far to date I have spent two weeks of nights on the project to get this far. Work from 6pm to 11pm and then go upstairs and do magazine stuff till 2am and then back up at 7-8am to do a days work of magazine stuff. I dont watch TV and dont really like going out.

Last night I got the centre cross member completed - again using the rivets welded from behind. The cool thing I like is the rivets that are visible on the outsides of the chassis rails.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. miller91

miller91

keep it going!

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Now this is spot-on, I like no, LOVE early style Gow-Jobs!I look forward to more build up pictures.

Nick.

12. Oh yeah, that,s something special coming together for sure. Great work.

13. S1B

S1B

This is awsome, I will be following this.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great project, thanks for posting the photos! For the record I believe the body and turtle deck are pre 1923, I know the windsheild is the 1917-22 style. Floor to top center of the firewall measurment will tell for sure. Should be a nice ride with all A running gear. The body on the chassis with red wheels is a 23-25 style body and turtle deck.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Kick Booty! The whole world is watching......

16. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Trust the Kiwis to build something so bitchin'.
    If the Good Lord gives me a chance at a second life I'll be pointing to the Land of the long white cloud.

17. Watching, with interest.
    Good job so far!
    JK

18. shainerman

shainerman

Looks like im all in and VERY interested.

19. Lookin good so far Greg, Makes me get impatient about building a new workshop - my tudor project has stalled after moving house!

20. I'm surprised you thought it might not be Hambworthy......It is...keep up the good work.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Hey guys,
    Thanks for all your positive feedback, that wasnt really what posting the build was all about for me - more my way of putting something back into the HAMB for all the great stuff I have learnt or seen.
    There are truly some talented guys and gals out there and that is one reason I thought initially that it wouldnt have been worthy to post the build.
    There are a few things I would like to point out too:
    1) If you are planning a build or want a project never say never and adopt a can do attitude to learn, be tought or teach yourself the various skills required - you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.
    2) Along with the HAMB there are a bunch of influences in this build - Isky's roadster - that thing is pure class, Multi Aldrich's roadster - that thing has killer stance for the era, Bob Anderson's HODGE roadster that was in TRJ - talk about innovative! Then there is Mark Morton with what he does at HOP UP, the TnA sections are truly inspiring as to how it once was. Pete Eastwood's T speedster in the book HOT ROD Garages by Peter Vincent.
    3) Plenty of help to - my parents, my partner and her parents. But technically speaking - Mike Roberts and his attention to detail and skilful metalworking talent as well as the ability to share ideas - this guy is our Steve Davis! Squeak Bell has a true passion for old time rodding and the value's that go with it. He has helped so many people get their cars running and its a proud feeling to have been helped by Squeak, sharing the vision with him and getting the car done.

At the end of the day, most of us on here build this stuff from total passion and there is no expectations of winning this or impressing that. Self satisfaction - isnt that the essence of rodding?

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. madpole

madpole

this is coming together nice. i love this style of T. when i got a chance to check out the isky roadster at the museum, i couldn't get enough of it. didn't want to leave without it. looking forward to watching your progress. looks top notch!

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. casper

casper

That is going to be awesome! By the way.... That door was hanging in my garage for many years. My friend told me that Squeak found this car and it was missing the door, so I told him to come over and get this one (I gave him the latch too) I thought it would be great to contribute something to such a historic car! Looks like it went to a great home! Kenny.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Good night!! A Real, bonafied hot rod!!! And right here on a hot rod website!! Dig it. I needed this so bad. Thank you.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Looks really cool. Keep it up, we love to see this stuff.

26. got told off at the museum for stepping the ropes to take a closer look at the Isky car and took heaps of detail shots. Thanks for your feedback

What a small world it is! Isnt Squeak an awesome guy? The door will go to excellent use thanks!

I love building it!

Thanks mate!

27. This is a great looking build - Multi's & Isky's T's are the best looking cars - period - and fast. You do realise that once you've finished it your'e going to have to take it to the salt to get please "The Gods of Speed".

When I saw Iskys roadster at the NHRA museum, I took plenty of pics but it wasn't until I got home & looked at them I saw that there is no gas pedal. Apparently its there - according to Isky but I couldn't see it.

I've got a TT truck frame, 25 T roadster body & turtledeck tucked away for when I get around to it & the kids get a bit older & will take the same inspiration from Multy & Isky as you have.

So at the moment you are sort of fulfilling my dream.

Keep it up you're doing a grand job

cheers

Bob

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That little thing is going to be wicked!!

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Man, what a cool build - thanks for sharing it with us! Very inspiring.

Malcolm