Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mura Bros. 41 Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33Tudor, Jun 26, 2009.

1. 33Tudor

33Tudor

My buddy Michael(meglite) bought the Mura Bros. 41 Willys pickup from Zane Cullen. He took delivery of it last weekend at the L.A.R.S. Now he is planning a restoration, but it is missing some key pieces. So, if any of you know anything about this truck, have unpublished photos, what have you, we would appreciate the help. Zane provided all the old magazines where it was featured and also some photos, and we bought the Rod & Custom book. Here is a photo of the front wheels that I think we need. It's also missing the 426. You can read about it on the Rod & Custom website.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  2. WCD

WCD

Wow, what a find. That truck was one of the finest peices to hit the strip. Please keep its progress posted

3. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Thanks,
    We're trying to do an accurate restoration. That's why we came to the H.A.M.B. for help!

4. violet springs

violet springs

Cool truck, please post progress pics of the restoration.

5. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

What a find! I didnt see 1 pic of it in Drag cars in Motion! (unless I missed it) Where they the guys who built/rewound armatures for the Slot Car Craze?, I had a couple.

6. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

My mom's first job was working for them. My old girlfriends mom worked there into the 90's.The shop is on 162nd in San Leandro, I think the place is still there. They also owned a flower nursery...... We lived in a house on 163rd that was on their property that rented from Hero Mura, one of the brothers. My uncle almost bought it years ago for $7,000 but he thought it was too much $$$$ WTF was he thinking????

7. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Would you happen to have any info on how to get a hold of Hero Mura? Any help would be appreciated. Also need to add, the engine was a 426 max-wedge and the front wheels needed are magnesium.

8. 33Tudor

33Tudor

O.K. Here's the latest update. The truck was delivered today to the shop that will undertake the restoration. We hope it will be ready for the GNRS in January. The shop is called Street Toys and is located in our neighboring city of Juarez, Mexico. Their website is: streettoysmx.com, check it out and look at all the other cars they have helped us with. They did a couple of Mustangs, a Camaro, a 60 Impala for Meglite, and a 59 Cadillac, a 67 Firebird, 57 Chevy Convertible for a couple of our friends, and my own 33 Ford Sedan is getting worked on there. So you can say that we trust them. Keep checking often, as we will be posting progress as it goes along.

9. 33Tudor

33Tudor

No progress pics yet, cause I haven't been to the shop where it's at. But, I'm trying to figure out how to use a scanner, and I will post some magazine photos.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Congradulations...I seen that Willys there at LARS and stared at it for an hour.

11. 33Tudor

33Tudor

You should have said Hi to us. We're usually pretty friendly, unless we're sober!

12. 33Tudor

33Tudor

O.K. So I just got back from Street Toys in Juarez, Mexico and here are some pics of the Willys Pick Up. They have been working on making the doors fit better and tweaking the frame because it was a little crooked.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Wow, I never thought I would see that car again!

Wasn't it red, with wide white stripes with 'spray pattern' edges?

IIRC, Don Emmons built a 1/25 scale replica in Rod and Custom Models magazine (remember that one?). I remember that the stripes down the side were crooked on the model (I tend to notice things like that).

Congratulations on this find and best wishes for the rebuild.

14. 33Tudor

33Tudor

O.K. Here's a couple of pictures of the progress on the truck.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

i love the looks of a willys truck

16. humpie

humpie

nice project,brings back memories i had a 42 p/u b gasser in the late 60's and of course wish i had one again.

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am so excited about the restoration! Will it be the version as featured in R & C, or the later one with the graphic on the side? either way, its an amazing piece of history.

18. 33Tudor

33Tudor

A couple of progress shots I took today. They were repairing some tabs in the rear part of the frame. They also did some work on the roll bar, and got the front end hinged.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  19. 33Tudor

33Tudor

20. what is the later paint scheme?

21. 33Tudor

33Tudor

This one. Sorry for the bad pic, I just took a pic of the PHR mag from May 1965.

Attached Files:

22. kenbqhs

kenbqhs
    from califirnia

my partner and i were the owners of the willy's before zane bought it don czapky sold it to zane and i found it with my partner in livermore in a back yard i went out to look at it and then we bought it i put the carpet in it and don and i cleaned it up and got the pictures together of the car my name is ken baldwin and i own a upholstery shop in santa rosa ca. 707-544-2693 if he has any questions on the truck that i know about i would be happy to answer then thanks ken

23. kenbqhs

kenbqhs
    from califirnia

my partner and i owned the truck before zane and my partner sold it to zane my name is ken baldwin i have a interiors shop in santa rosa if the new owner wants more info feel free to call me i have some photos that we didn't give to zane cause i couldn't find them at the time and if the new owner wants i little more history call me my parntners name is don czapkay he sold it to zane 707-544-2693 thanks

24. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Thanks Ken,
    I forwarded your E-mail to my buddy. He should be calling you soon.

25. Sparky13

Sparky13

Wow so glad to see someone get this truck and do the right thing by restoring this truck back to it's orignal roots. I work with Zane at his hot rod shop and he is so excited to see this truck come back to life. Please keep us all update on this project. Thanks,
    Steve

26. jangleguy

jangleguy

Glad to see you guys doing this. Love that truck! Please keep us updated. Lookin' good, so far...

27. Awesome truck, checked it out at the Roadster show. Lucky the bed survived like it did. Glad to see that truck is getting restored! Look forward to seeing the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  28. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Just wondering, is that the same "meg-lite" from El Paso thats always selling cars and parts on the ebay? He must drag cars form every corner of the world, where does he find them? Last time I looked, he had a prop car from one of the newer "Batman" movies for sale.

29. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Yep, that's him!