Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tucks and Rolls and Rolls and Pleats and a small panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gillgonzalez, Jun 19, 2009.

1. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

Anyone interested in tucks and rolls and pleats and such.

There will always be debates on what Tuck and Roll exactly is and which method is correct. I think the most acceptable definition is pleats made with a "hidden stitch". This can be accomplished by sewing pockets and then stuffing the pockets with filler. Sewing individual strips over foam strips. Sewing a fold into precut channels. Sewing individual foam backed strips together. Sewing oversided pleats on foam and then folding and stitching from the backside to create a hidden stitch pleat.
    It all depends on what look needs to be created, and they all look a bit different. But the most common of lately is the "sew and fold" style, in my opinion, but im sure someone could argue that.
    I think it gives you the best bang for your time and materials.

Also check the upholstery forum on the HAMB-

Theres sewing diamonds by Jake.
    Most common seams for your project.
    Recovering a stool- upholstery basics that you can use for your auto project.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=174

Basically im creating a hidden stitch pleat by top stitching oversized pleats on to a foam backed vinyl, then using the topstitch as a fold line and sewing a seam along the backside to make the pleat a hidden stitch.
    Wanna take a ride?

Materials=
    sewing machine
    vinyl
    a "scrim backed" foam also known as sew foam or foam with backing or probably a hundred other names (it needs a backing to hold your stitch, otherwise the thread would pull through the foam)
    thread, duh
    shears
    contact cement
    staple gun
    welt cord
    1/8 luaun (door skin, sold at home depot or any panel material)
    razor blades
    contact cement

Heres a shot of the foam with backing

[​IMG]

and a shot with the backing pulled loose

[​IMG]

I start by laying out my panel first so i know how many pleats to sew and the length of my pieces. Im going to put pleats with a smooth top seperated by black piping.

[​IMG]

With this method of sewing pleats each pleat need to be laid out oversize. The oversize depends on what thickness foam your using. Im using 3/4 in. and ive found i need about 3/4in. extra in each pleat for the shrinkage, seriously. So for 1 1/2in. pleats the layout is 2 1/4. Notice the extra material on the sides to wrap around the panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is to topstitch the pleat lines.
    [​IMG]

its already shrinking

[​IMG]

Now heres where we hide the stitch. Using the topstitch pleat as a break line, fold the vinly back on itself
    [​IMG]

Then your going to run a stitch about 1/4 in from the fold. Different foam and vinyl combos shrink a little differently so keep checking your pleat width as you go. Its better to be a little under than over, you can stretch it a bit but never make it smaller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres what your seams will look like on the backside

[​IMG]

heres the hidden stitch next to the top stitch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pleats sewn

[​IMG]

Now here comes the piping or welt. Cut a strip of vinyl 1 1/2 in. wide.

[​IMG]

You need a welt cord material now.

[​IMG]

your going to fold the cord inside the vinly strip and sew the piping. The machine uses a welt foot which has a tunnel in it to accomidate the cord.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    reagen likes this.
  2. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

You need to take out the bulk created by the tucking stitch before you sew the welt cord down or itll look terrible. Ive gotten into the habbit of cutting the whole thing off if its a panel piece because it gonna wrap around the bottom of the panel and you dont want the bulk down there either, if its for a seat just cut the bulk out of the place where a new seam or piping is going to run over it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sew that down along the edge of your pleats. Some guys sew it to the smooth or boxing part. Ive just gotten into the habbit of sewing to the pleats, for me it works better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive cut a piece of vinyl and put the sew foam behind it as well to make the top (smooth) portion of the panel. Were going to sew these pieces face to face. With the pleated panel on top of the smooth panel you can use the thread from sewing the piping down as a guide where your new stitch should be. That way youll get it nice and tight and you wont see stitches between the piping and the panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

reagen likes this.
  3. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

Cut the bulk or selvage of that seam out also. Its going to wrap around the panel sides and you dont want that extra vinyl and foam there.

Now to attach it to the panel.

Very important- you need to relieve the panel wherever a seam is going around the backside, otherwise youll wind up with a big lump and itll look like crap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Line it up and cement that sucker down to the face of the panel
    [​IMG]

You dont want a bunch of foam pulled around the backside so make sure to trim it out with a razor blade- carefull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres where the relief comes into play when wrapping the panel.

[​IMG]

You dont want the welt cord on the backside of the panel. Make a slice and cut that sucker out.

[​IMG]

Then drive a staple in.

[​IMG]

I like to cement the material around then come back and staple for security.

Heres a good way to handle a sharp corner. Iver heard it refered to as a necktie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Staple everything securely and cut out the remaining selvage with a razor blade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worlds smallest door panel.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    reagen likes this.
  4. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

worlds smallest door panel

[​IMG]

reagen likes this.

5. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Fantastic!!!!! Like so many things, the quality of the result appears to be directly related to the care taken in the initial planning stage. Thanks a bunch.

6. Nice, thanks for posting.

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Wow, fucking stunning.

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

You're a very talented MOFO Roger!! Beautiful !!

Ian

9. That is fucking GOLD right there, i have just been talking about giving this a go and now I will.

The only thing that worries me is the secondary stitch path on the pleat. Have you got any tips for keeping that sucker straight and the same amount of material for each pleate, as it would look like ass if some came out smaller that the others or a bit crooked!?????
    Is it just one of those poster stapelers you used?

And here is me thinking you buy piping, that little dealybobber is cool as shit.

One of the best tech posts I have read, great detail.

10. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

you make it look easy

11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Great job, keep up the good work, you may want to consider a sheet of 6 mil. plastic on the back side to keep the panel dry. This could be installed directly on the panel or on the door itself.

12. JKerb

JKerb

Nicely done!

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

masterful as always,great thread roger.But duran duran?...lol

14. Thanks for the tutorial!! I did hand stuffed t&r in my 64 Pontiac in the 80's. Nothing like stuffing a coupla hundred pleats individually. :) I think I may do it your way next time....looks the same and less work....

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

Now show your way to do tuck and roll with alternating colors

16. DrJ

DrJ

WOW! That's beautiful work :cool:

17. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

awesome tech! Sounds stupid but how about thompsen's waterseal instead of plastic, no ultra violet rays or direct rain to degrade the protective coating...

18. CheapCat

CheapCat
    from Illinois

Man this been thinking about this for a while and how it is done, great job!
    How heavy duty of a sewing machine does a person need for this kind of stiching?

19. awesome. thanks for posting this! i have been trying for a couple of months on and off. do you mind if i p.m. you some questions now and then?

20. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Very cool, always wondered how that was done, thanks.

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

great tech and pics..thanks

22. 3406kris

3406kris

Great tech thread! I always wondered how this happens, nice to see it in pics. What kind of sewing machine do you have? Would a normal run of the mill standard sewing machine work for this?

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

That looks killer, Roger. You do some amazing work...

24. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  25. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

This is something to save, for sure.
    You do great work. Thank you for
    sharing.
    Matt

26. ............and now we know THE REST OF THE STORY. Thanks for clearing that up. It's always easier to understand with pictures (at least for idiots like me).:eek::)

27. skipstitch

skipstitch

Absolutely KICK ASS how to!!! Perfect pleats, notches for piping in the panel, and a demonstration on the "dark art" of wrapping corners... Very cool!

It's also nice to see someone else sprays glue on their fingers!!!!

Although the Duran Duran fetish is disturbing...LOL :)

28. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

Cool tutorial! Excellent work.

29. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

Thanks for the compliment Skipstitch! I wonder sometimes if actuall get more glue on me than the project. How about the cool glue line across your belly from leaning against the table with fresh glue?