Register now to get rid of these ads!

speedway VS limeworks steering column ?s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tomcantdoit, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ok, i have some question and have done some searches so be kind.
    1.) has any ones use the speedway quick disconnect steering colomns and are they worth it
    2.) same question for the lime works column
    3.) what length works well with a model a sedan

i am kind of leaning towards the speedway one because i have suicide doors and it would be easy to get in and out, as well as a security measure. the only problem with the speedway column it does not have a horn. what have you guys used besides fabing one.
    thanks
    tom

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i have the speedy bill stainless column in the willys... almost 3 years now and no trouble with it at all. fit and finish is pretty nice for the price paid

3. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Your AVATAR gives me the creeps:D

Thank You for your reconsideration on the Avatar!!!!

Nice Choice!!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I got nothing... But a word of advice, don't buy from Speedway unless you have to. Those guys give me the creeps more than your avatar.

5. Speedy copied the proven Limeworks column. Buy from Steve at Limeworks, he is a HAMBer.

6. they do deliver fast, but their parts are crap i have to admit. hahahaha yea i can see how its creepy, it looks like i need a 70s molester van:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

7. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I have seen the Limeworks column and it is a high quality piece with good parts in it. I know Steve is a great guy with good ideas, so it may be worth your time to call him and tell him what you are looking for if you are set on having a quick release on the wheel.
    The length really depends on where and how you mount the column. You need to mock up a column/wheel and seat placement and measure for the column. I used a wooden dowel and cardboard circle for a wheel when I made my column.

8. i do like the look of the limeworks columns and their drops very purdy

9. RichG

RichG

10. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

I used the Speedway column on my coupe. No complaints. It has a nice finish and the column is splined at the top for a nice fit to the wheel.

11. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I would be interested to know the reasoning behind that statement Ryan. Why would you not patronize Speedway Motors?

12. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I'm a dealer for both of them.
    Speedway is purely counting pennies choice.

Limeworks columns are finely crafted.
    I love the skinny version,1 1/2" diameter same as ol' Fords
    has the right look in a hotrod.

The 1 1/2 column and their drop,painted black with a full size '40 wheel..perfect !

Something as important as wheel and column in your car,why not spend a few more bucks and get it right.Save the $100 plus elsewhere on your project or skip a couple delivered pizza's.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm still not over them screwing Clive and the Stromberg-97 guys... Hurt my feelings.

14. And Vern Tardell.

Speedway is the Walmart of the streetrod/race parts industry.

15. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

among many others. thier "buy one and duplicate it" thoery knows no bounds. and the amount of stuff they get from overseas is astounding.

16. it was pretty shady what they did to the stromberg guys, and there creepy avatar removed:D

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Running Steve's column in my Deuce works great. Actually everything we bought from LIMEWORKS has been top notch....besides as stated he's a HAMB vendor....Nuff Said!

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Now nobody will recognise you!!

19. yeah chester will pop up every now and then

20. bt34

bt34

Limeworks have done a fine job of extracting money outa me.
    Good knowledge and correct parts supply works for me..
    Plus Craigr in there is a Kiwi....and a HAMB'r....(I have one of their columns)
    cheers bt

21. mj40's

mj40's

I just went with a stock 40 passenger column with keyed mounts in two of my cars. One I chromed and added the Limeworks 40 wheel. And yes the horn button works with some mods.

Attached Files:

22. Weasel

Weasel

They're not that good.:rolleyes:

Why buy Chinese rip off junk when you can have the original quality Made in USA product from the originator? See my signature for explanation.

Support your HAMB Alliance vendors.

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What else can be said to this!

Join the alliance and deal with people you KNOW have it right.

24. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

I'm using a limeworks in my roadster..

excellent quality.

25. cruzr

cruzr

Limeworks makes quality stuff, and as already said why cut corners on something so prominent in a car. The column is a focal point.

26. well it looks like alliance member and limeworks here i come:D

27. Wildfire

Wildfire

Good choice, their column drop is absolutely perfect. Buy through Eric at Riley Auto if you can - he passes along the discount and uses all the parts out there, so he's got great advice.

28. yup, i didnt know eric was a vendor for them untill to day, so im going to order from him after i get a alliance membership

29. I want more pics of that sweet Tudor!