Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 250 install into my 50 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Well the motor mount showed up Friday so Saturday we dropped the 250 into the Chevy to replace the smallblock. If you are thinking of doing similar here's what I did.
    I got the mounts from Chassis Eng. The advertise them for 41-48 Chevies. You need the offset one on the drivers side so the steering arm will clear the mount. If you look at the frame mounts in the catalog they appear to set the motor mounts below the frame a little. I used the Chassis engineering frame mounts that I used for the V-8 and they worked out fine. I honestly don't know the differences between the 41-48 frame and the 49-54 frame. Here is a link to the Catalog page:
    http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page24.html

I retained the trans mount I used for the sbc/th350 and just had to redrill it because the whole deal set farther back than before.
    I really dig the way it came out. The motor fills the whole compartment forward to aft. I could have moved the radiator forward but opted not to.
    I will just run a electric fan on the front of the radiator. Enjoy,Todd

Attached Files:

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey Todd, here's a big thumbs up Bud. Glad you got it in last weekend. It looks pretty good in there too! See ya Saturday?
    Dom

3. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

looks great !!! keep up the good work....your gonna like this combo...sweet

4. belair

belair

Looks great-good for you.

5. Yea, I will be there for sure

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've followed your build over on ChevyTalk.org. Are your motor/frame mounts in the SAME location for the V-8 VS 6 cylinder? How about building me a trans mount like yours? And, you seem to like gold engine blocks with black covers and such. I used to do ALL my engines gray, so they looked "industrial". You still have the exhaust manifolds you were going to use with the V-8? P.M., maybe we can deal. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Cool somebody else doing the same, now I have a new place to learn....

8. Butch,

I had to move the frame mounts a little. They were bolted in so it was no big deal. Ironacally, when I set everything up origanlly. I made sure the frame was level set the motor and trans so it had a 3 degree down angle and set the rear with a 3 degree up angle. After I installed the six I re-checked my angles and the motor/trans angle remained the same.
    I really like the black and gold contrast.
    I sent you a PM on the V-8 exhaust manifolds

9. Big Tony

Big Tony

Dig the color...looks good

10. Babyearl

Babyearl

That saves me a bunch of time and searching, thanks, color looks good too.

11. Twisted6

Twisted6

That looks like it is right at home now. Sweet :)

12. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

A buddy of mine did that same swap, he welded two studs to the valve cover and put the 216 valve cover over it....it looks pretty tricky ...the looks of all the old timmers is funny , they look at it and then say " thats not a 216?....is it?