Register now to get rid of these ads!

HD Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool!!! I wonder if that works on other makes such as a Chrysler Industrial etc. I'll keep my eye(s) peeled next swap I am at. Are there any difference in the fuel pumps that pushed fuel to Ardun equipped industrial trucks as opposed to regular Flathead powered trucks?

3. NealinCA

NealinCA

Interesting upside down bowl configuration...

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That was known amongst rodders as the "Bus" pump. Some have a steel bowl in place of the glass...it was the preferred high volume pump for race engines.
    Ford bus engine was seriously overworked, and had lots of odd parts like this to keed it moving!\

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It was needed on the bus because the bus engine pretty much ran at full throttle all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it was used on wartime Bren carrier type Fords...moving an armored vehicle is also full time full blast work.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On the Ardun/truck business...that has always been called out as the intended market for the Ardun, but has anyone actually heard of an Ardun kit being so used in the real world?? The system was FAR from being a bolt-on, would have interfered with underhood parts like battery requiring fabrication, was handicapped in its stock form by a wretchedly anachronistic 1920 style manifold...and of course was very expensive. Seems like a non-starter to adapt a working truck.

7. Got any parts numbers??

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Are you telling me that I am wasting my time looking through old Ford delivery trucks in hopes to find the holy grail?:D

That's a pretty good point Bruce.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bulletins show a 49B-9350-A and also a -B version...B had a stiffer diaphragm spring. Number equates to 1944 100 HP bus use, so likely that actually means this is a postwar pump replacing an earlier one, mebbe a 19B. I'll look at a pump, as the AC type number might be more useful...Ford dealer is always out of these things nowadays.
    Trivia...why 59A and 59AB?? The Bus, again! Ford made the 59A heads and block the replacement for earlier (19B, I think?) Bus only parts, and added the B designation into the PN casting to clarify and/or confuse the issue.

10. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Good point bruce, however, one of the only sets of ardun heads found in Australia in recent memory were running on an old apple carting truck in SA as the it was a very hilly area and the stockers were running out of power when the old farmer died the family sold the truck and some lucky fella scored big time.

So yeah some defineitly were running on trucks,

11. so would chasin down the rebuild kit from the high volumne unit
    fit/cross back to work on the stocker ... rebuidkits may be easier to find at swaps than old bus parts .

and if its just a heavier spring ... well there are many ways to modify a spring ..

hollander any one ?

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think you would have to cobble from the parts bin at a rebuilder...I would start by taking the pump to a swap meet and buying a couple of random pumps with the same diaphragm size, then hunt down rebuild kits for those and start on improv. This is a high volume pump, bigger diameter than a normal Ford pump. Hollander will only cover complete pump, which will cross over to nothing else. Somewherre there has to be an AC or whatever parts catalog listing components used within pumps, which would then lead to crossovers of individual bits. By the way, all sorts of pump parts are getting scarce...

13. showing my age here at auto prts store i worked at
    i used to locate fuel pumps through the picture id section of the catalog then easily transfer components from in stock to unstocked units as for what was at hand

most were diaphrams were simular and the pushrod /fulcrum was what changed ..
    i was able to get a pump reconfigured for a late fifties mini donut machine in in a about 15 minutes of comparing and fiddlin all older pumps diassembled easily and rerouting fueline inlet outlet to boot

so ifn some one can come up with some part numbers and diaphram specs this should be lo-buck HAMB racers rebuild somehow even using modern materials for unleaded fuel. nylon rub plates etc..
    lets get the facts to gether some one must have em

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

From that...I'm guessing diaphragm and valves would cross over to lots of common large car and truck pumps. Inner arm of rocker??? Is outer rocker same as small Ford pumps or unique?? I guess those bits could be drilled and bushed if sloppy. Does anything else share the basic '34--48 Ford flange?? In other words, can lower casting be from any common alternative source. I think there are other pumps I see at car shows with the glass dome atop.

15. rustybucket

rustybucket

Just happened to have this at work...

These are AC numbers

If anyone finds a stash save one for me :)

Attached Files:

16. gas pumper

gas pumper

This is a "Liberty" brand rebuild. part #9206.

Thought it might be worth having since Dan Kanter from Kanter Auto Parts was bidding on it.

The list there says it's for the 145 HP truck engine. Looks to be a big fuel pump and a vac pump too so the wipers work at full throttle.

Does the mounting flange and drive look like it would fit the Ford flathead?

Attached Files:

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The flange and rocker look like '49-53 flathead...if you sawed off about the lower 1/2" it would look like '34-48, but would leave quite an oil leak. Some are solid there and can be cut. I suspect that would fit...would have to try it...on a stock '49-53, as similar dual pump was used '52-3. Don't know what problems multicarb manifolds would have with the extra lump. The dual pumps had reputations as troublesome.

18. Rem

Rem

Getting back to NealinCA's point, what's with the "filter" bowl on the top of the carb? Or are we missing something?

19. BRUCE
    if you ever look at a pile of asst. fuel pumps very little changes except the arm length and angles almost all have the same diaphram and mounting surface

i believe that thereare only about ten fuel pump mounting gaskets for old cars

the lever action viewed from the profile has a very limited arm travel past the pivot point at the inner diaphram end..

REMEMBER ENGINE LOBE WEAR AND CONTROL OF THE HIGH FUEL PRESSURE TOO

THINK WITH YER DIPSTICK JIMMY

SEDIMENT BOWLS ARE REALLY NOT NEEDED WITH PROPER FILTERING

in theory

make up a lever arm as needed to to fit the high volume casting from something else
    like master cylinders its the same resivior its pedal and plungers that change

i did not stay at a holiday inn last nite but i have handled a couple thousand fuel pumps and m/c in my old age

BESIDES NOS PARTS WILL FAIL LOTS OF TIMES FROM OLD AGE

SO WHAT WE NEED HERE IS A PICTURE DISPLAY OF A FEW KNOWN EXAMPLES OF EACH

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009

20. as i stated earlier these part numbers may switch all around it may be the inlet - outlet that changes or the sediment bowl/vac asst.

whats needed is the picture of each one from a older book.. kinda like i.d. ing shocks or other parts by grouped dimensions

21. 31whitey

31whitey

Ha.....just scored that one of ebay....

Santa Rosa.....Keith3330.....I wonder who.....hahaha....

This should work nicely in the FULL RACE 59L.....old hot rod motor....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I dimly remember seeing bus pumps with the upper part replace with the body from the 1950's Corvette HD 6-valve pump...anyone else??
    As pointed out above, if you have the right lower body and rocker, the rest can be pillaged from commoner AC pumps of the same diameter.

23. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I have a set of 3 Autopulse fuel pumps, with manifolds on the suction and discharge side. Other than being dirty they appear to be in good condition. I have never tried to run them. Any ideas as to value or who might be interested? [email protected] Thanks!