Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

Default Ford 400m timing help!

I've spent the last hour on the internet trying to find the timing specs for a Ford 400m. Not my choice of motors,but that's what my Merc came with. Can somebody help me out?

Townsend Customs and Hotrods
951-833-1835
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
TexasHardcore
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Ford 400m timing help!

Leave vacuum line on and set timing to 30* BTDC at 3,000RPM

Try that, if it doesn't work, you're screwed. JK...just play with the timing. If you hear pinging, back it off a bit.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

DUDE! Thanks SOOO much! It was running kinda crappy. This should straighten her out...

951-833-1835
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
4t6ford

Location: Little town with a heart of Gold n Balls of Steel! New Zealand

Bob, let us know how it is after you've done as suggested. Is your 400 a stocker or not? They respond well to a little tickling , a healthy one will pull like a school boy !

Frightening little old ladies since 1970
Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

It pulls awesome but starts to flutter. I'll mess with it when I get home from work. It didn't do it before,but I tried to give it the "Bad Bob Tune-up",and messed it all up! I'll let you guys know how it works.

951-833-1835
Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

Well,got home and put the timing light on it and set it to about 10* BTDC. Same thing....sputter,sputter! So I backed it down to TDC and it smoothed right out! Revv'd it up a few times and the throttle response is AWESOME now!!!! Should drive great now....I'll find out on the way to Ink-n-Iron tomorrow...

951-833-1835
Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Bettlejuice

IIRC they're supposed to like about 6 degrees initial timing (that's what the factory recommends, I always ran more in my Clevelands but I don't remember what). Those dampers they used on the 335 series motors though liked to rot out the rubber letting the outer ring slip, making the timing marks useless. I actually encountered it with a balancer, so it must not be too uncommon. If there's even a question about it, bring #1 to top dead center and put some timing tape on it (I just replaced my balancer with a new one, but I worked at a speed shop at the time, and our house brand balancers were Romac's, so it was too good a deal to pass up).
To the livin' end

Last edited by Bettlejuice; 06-03-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
havi

Stockwise, the timing set is 4 degrees retarded. Just by putting on a double roller Cloyes timing set put to "straight-up" will make it perform. If the PO did this, then yeah, the valve cover sticker of 10 degrees will be wrong.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

It's a pretty old motor. I'm sure it hasn't ever been touched,til I messed with it. I'm eventually putting a 302/C4 in it,so I don't plan on spending any money on it. We'll see how it performs this weekend.

951-833-1835
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
MercMan1951
Old School HAMBer

Bob, there was (is) a great page on these engines:

http://web.archive.org/web/200712261...250/index.html

http://web.archive.org/web/200712161...s/parts01.html

Probably more than you'd ever want to know...they can be great motors...don't give up just yet!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havi View Post
Stockwise, the timing set is 4 degrees retarded. Just by putting on a double roller Cloyes timing set put to "straight-up" will make it perform. If the PO did this, then yeah, the valve cover sticker of 10 degrees will be wrong.
10* was just a guess. I couldn't believe how much it pepped up by retarding it! Usually advancing the timing does the trick.

951-833-1835
Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Bettlejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
It's a pretty old motor. I'm sure it hasn't ever been touched,til I messed with it. I'm eventually putting a 302/C4 in it,so I don't plan on spending any money on it. We'll see how it performs this weekend.
I'd say piss on the 302, slap some 4V heads on 'er (on a 400 you'd probably need open chambers or dished pistons), and let her rip! You can build a 400 up pretty nice, check out the 335 Forum over at Network54. I wouldn't hesitate to run a 400 if I had a car with one, I LOVE Clevelands, I like using factory performance parts whenever I can, and Clevelands have a nice selection of factory parts. 350+ HP definitely not be out of the question with a mild upgrades at a fairly cheap pricetag.

If you have a C4, see if you can find a big block bellhousing for it and use that transmission with it, I ran a C4 behind a Cleveland and it was a nice combo.
To the livin' end
Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
MercMan1951
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
10* was just a guess. I couldn't believe how much it pepped up by retarding it! Usually advancing the timing does the trick.
Doesn't sound like it has a 'updated' timing set then. I've heard a stock replacement "double roller" set will work wonders, since it does away with the factory retard. LOL I'm going to hell now...

BTW, I have a 351m In my Cougar...it's got some guts...and from what I've read, it CAN be a really great engine with the right parts. One of those overlooked & misunderstood engines.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

I have a C6 in it right now. The thing I don't like about it is it's SOOOO fuckin heavy! Plus the C6 weighs a ton also! I know about the 335 sight. A guy on there suggested some head work and a RV cam. I already have an Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600 carb on it. I've been looking for a highrise manifold or air-gap,but haven't found anything.

951-833-1835
Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #15
MercMan1951
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I have a C6 in it right now. The thing I don't like about it is it's SOOOO fuckin heavy! Plus the C6 weighs a ton also! I know about the 335 sight. A guy on there suggested some head work and a RV cam. I already have an Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600 carb on it. I've been looking for a highrise manifold or air-gap,but haven't found anything.
I think if you run the numbers it's not all that much heavier than a 302, and lighter than a 460...
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercMan1951 View Post
Doesn't sound like it has a 'updated' timing set then. I've heard a stock replacement "double roller" set will work wonders, since it does away with the factory retard. LOL I'm going to hell now...

BTW, I have a 351m In my Cougar...it's got some guts...and from what I've read, it CAN be a really great engine with the right parts. One of those overlooked & misunderstood engines.
The guy who wrote the FORD Hop-up book I bought LOVES them,and says they can be a real torque monster! I just started reading it and plan on looking for some of the performance parts he recomends.

951-833-1835
Old 06-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #17
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercMan1951 View Post
I think if you run the numbers it's not all that much heavier than a 302, and lighter than a 460...
Jeremy's Merc,that's over at slddnmatt's shop has a BUILT 460 and it sounds INSANE!!!!!

951-833-1835
Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #18
havi

Aluminum heads (CHI's) and intake= the weight of a stock iron 302. Aussie heads are the cat's meow for a mild build. Otherwise www.tmeyerinc.com Tim has the goods.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
39 All Ford
Alliance Member

I think the Ms get a bad rap... other than the dismal compression ratio and smogger heads I think they are pretty solid...

I think that early "better" Cleveland heads will bolt up improving both issues.

There is some debate over the early 2V vs. 4V heads being best, (I think the 2Vs for a more streetable engine, 4V for balls out) but little doubt that either set of early Cleveland heads will help A LOT..

If it were me I would think hard about making the M engine work,,,,, or putting a bad ass 368 LYB in there....
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
MercMan1951
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
The guy who wrote the FORD Hop-up book I bought LOVES them,and says they can be a real torque monster! I just started reading it and plan on looking for some of the performance parts he recomends.
I always thought it was a huge boat anchor, but after much reading in both books and on the net (see the link I sent you), and some footage I have seen from drag races, I am convinced it is an overlooked engine, with great potential.
Downside is that it can be comparable to a BB Chevy in terms of build cost. But, it's unique.