Register now to get rid of these ads!

Awesome craftmanship

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TimB, Dec 1, 2004.

1. TimB

TimB
    from Florida

I know quite a few of you get into building models so I thought I would share this link. Warning if you have a dial up line don't bother clicking. This is the absolute best scale car model work I have seen...he even tuned his own rims and hubs and then laced the wires in

http://www.beareyes.com.cn/2/lib/200402/06/20040206080_0.htm

I really new around here so my apologies if this is too far off topic.

2. Mutt

Mutt

Wow, incredible...thanks for the link.

mutt

3. Rusty

Rusty

Wow. what great patience he must have

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm at a loss for words, and if you know me that's almost an impossibility.

Frank

5. Canuck

Canuck

AWSUM We could all take lessons from this man.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Damn, I am extremely humbled. I can't make my stuff look that good full size and he goes and does that. Man I am amazed....
    That is craftsmanship at its finest...

7. TimB

TimB
    from Florida

8. Years ago (1979) I purchased a book from Gerald Wingrove: The Complete Car Modeller. In this tome, he details all that he does to build such extraordinary models, from scratch.
    Amazon have it.
    Cosmo

9. Seems like a long way to go for the "I'm a little guy in a model car" picture, but what the heck! [​IMG]

Incredible patience and skill. I dug the tiny louver press.

10. DrJ

DrJ

I'm wondering why he didn't just build it in a larger scale, say, 1-1?
    But then, that's what we do, isn't it? [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

This guy is incredible, he has his wife in on the act too. She aids in the assembly process I believe. There was much written on him in Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine. Wingrove is one of the many reasons I appreciate true craftsmanship.

12. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i would hate to see the price tag on one of them. i bet you it would be cheaper to buy a mint 40 willys body. that blows my mind how he does it

13. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Fantastic, That belongs in the Smithsonian

14. Thanks for that. (Saved the whole thing) I'm (still) planning on something similar on 1:1 scale. Funny how a model build can help with detail stuff for a "real" one. Yes, it's "awesome"!

15. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

That beats anything I have ever seen from anyone here or anywhere else with any car of any scale.

I can never build another model now......

16. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

unfuckingbelievable [​IMG]

17. I have only two comments about this thread:
    First;the car never should have been painted.It should have been left in bare metal.
    Second:Gerald Wingrove did NOT build that model;he hired leprechauns and paid them off in gold to build it.That's why whenever you see one of the,"wee folk" they always have a bag of gold with them! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    There ARE no words to be said after looking at those pictures.I have seen examples of his work for many years and was always amazed but until now never knew how much he really put into them.He is NOT HUMAN!

18. [ QUOTE ]
    i would hate to see the price tag on one of them. i bet you it would be cheaper to buy a mint 40 willys body. that blows my mind how he does it

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at his web site, it seems the finished products get about $10,000 to $20,000 U.S.

19. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I cant even put 1/4 in nuts+bolts together half the time without dropping part of it! That guy is amazing!! Thanks for this post.

20. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Fab32, you took the words right out of my mouth.
    I am amazed!

21. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

That's simply awesome.

I've seen his work before in British car magazines.

I just bought two of his books from Amazon. And they were surprisingly cheap.

22. Larry C

Larry C

The links are much appreciated. I have had "The Complete Car Modeler" on the shelf next to the PC for several years (the book was published in 1978 and 1979.) It includes several projects, with plans and detail shots of tooling and fixtures.

23. Mojo

Mojo

[ QUOTE ]
    Years ago (1979) I purchased a book from Gerald Wingrove: The Complete Car Modeller. In this tome, he details all that he does to build such extraordinary models, from scratch.
    Amazon have it.
    Cosmo

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU!! I've been trying to remember the name of that book and author for a year now! I first read it about 10 years ago, I was absolutely blown away by the craftsmanship. He masterfully shows how to create complex parts by adding simple shapes together, something that took me quite a while to fully understand. I don't know if I can wait to let my girlfriend get it for my for christmas...

I truely admire the guy, i've been trying my hand at scratch building from pictures, it's a black art! He makes it look so simple, a sign of true skill...

24. Did anyone "Click" on his "But does it work?" video called "Seeing is believing"...???

http://www.geraldwingrove.com/

Either he is a freaking genious or he has a great sense of humor... [​IMG] [​IMG]!!!

I'm guessing the later of the two...! [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Mutt

Mutt

[ QUOTE ]
    Did anyone "Click" on his "But does it work?" video called "Seeing is believing"...???

http://www.geraldwingrove.com/

Either he is a freaking genious or he has a great sense of humor... [​IMG] [​IMG]!!!

I'm guessing the later of the two...! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - if you noticed, he said it was April the 1st....

Mutt

26. flatoz

flatoz

Its really great to see in this computer age that there are true craftsmen out there, that is just mindblowing!

27. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I have such little patience that besides the fact that I could never ever even think of doing anything like that, I couldnt even wait for all of the pics to load.

28. 38pickup

38pickup

[ QUOTE ]
    Its really great to see in this computer age that there are true craftsmen out there, that is just mindblowing!

[/ QUOTE ]

29. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

very impressive.

but i don't see the point. For the time, labor, and cost of that you could build a real triumph bobber, or update a real hot rod....

30. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

cool, did you see his pictures showing the Queen awarding him a MBE

what does that stand for?