Register now to get rid of these ads!

Want to relocate my pickups GAS TANK - need help finding vendor...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, May 19, 2009.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have been wanting to relocate my in-cab gas tank to under the bed on my '56 Chevy pickup and I'm hoping that someone here has vendor info or has even done the same thing and can point me in the right direction. Thanks guys...

2. I'm using an S10 Blazer tank in my 51 Ford and have used them in others.

Mounts where a spare tire would be.
    Filler neck comes out the side.

1983-85 with 2.8 engine are carb'd
    86-up EFI high pressure fuel pump in the tank

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

4. Killer

Killer

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Killer, what year mustang tank is that? It looks like it GREW there...I like it!! Is that filler neck behind the license plate?

6. Killer

Killer

mid 60's. you could move the filler anywhere. Usually just poke it up through the bed floor..

7. Buzznut

Buzznut

It looks like you cut out the spare tire crossmember completely and then capped the END of the frame...am I right? Does the axle-travel interfere with the tank?

8. That could work pretty well... Wonder if I'd have to relocate a cross member? You would happen to have all 3 dimensions from one would you? And are you talking the mid '80's to late '90's body style S10?[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    The tank measures 20X30 with a 1" flange all the way around
    it's 9-1/2" deep
    yes, mid 80's to mid 90's
    I haven't done one on a 50's Chev, so not sure about crossmember

Mustang tank looks great

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks LowKat...that tank sounds like a great option as well. The S10 tank would also obviously be a LOT cheaper than the mid 60's Mustang tank as I could probably find a good one at a salvage yard for 20$ to 50$ or so and pressure check and reseal it for 20$ more and be done.

Is the S10 tank a 12 gallon - 16 gallon..I used to have an 88 S10 but don't remember the tank capacity. I imagine the Mustang tank is 16 gal or so...most of the 60's muscle cars where right around there...

10. kraka138

kraka138

i beg to differ

i mean its still like a 130 dollars after shipping but you have a tank, with sender and its all new

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

WOW! THAT is CHEAP... maybe I need to place a bid. Thanks for the find...

12. When searching for a used tank just smell it for fresh gas, probably wouldn't need a pressure test.

I think the 'standard' tank was 16 gallon with a bigger one as an option

13. hp246

hp246
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I didn't relocate my tank, but I did want to relocate the fillertube from the fender to the bed of the truck. My tank's filler tube is on the side. If you are looking to do a modficiation similar to this, I would recommend looking for a tank with the tube mounted toward the center. It was a real PITA to modify a tube to work. I used an aluminum marine filler tube, cap and vent.

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks for the heads up hp246.

As far as filler location goes, I was actually thinking about trying to HIDE my filler. First I thought of maybe putting it INSIDE the bed coming through from above rear tire with a door on the bedside, but filling it may be a PITA. I also thought about trying to hide it in the stake pocket...and last choice was that I'm thinking about mounting taillights directly onto the rear fenders and hiding the filler BEHIND one of the taillights. The issue with that is finding a perfect TRADITIONAL looking taillight that actually looks factory...

All I really know is that I don't want raw gas smelling up my cab and sloshing around behind the seat, and I'd like to have that space for a tool caddy and a sound system.

15. ocfab

ocfab

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

Great info guys...thanks for the help.

17. The Paddock has those Mustang tanks with a new sender and gasket for about $125 or $150 brand new. You are looking for a 1966 tank....it has a straighter up filler neck. 65fordguy just did one on his 65-ish Ford truck a couple of weeks ago. Said it was a snap.

18. ray

ray
    from colorado

you can also use early 70's mustang tanks, they are 22 gallons and mount the same way. cost about the same. i prefer mustang tanks when possible, but if i must use a GM fuel gauge i use a new tank from min 50s chevys. may require moving the filler neck sometimes, but at least it's easy and worry free on a brand new tank.

19. Tacson

Tacson

55-57 Chevy truck frame is similiar somewhat to a 53-56 Ford F100 at the back. Here is what I used in my 55' F100.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a 77-82 Fullsize Short wheelbase Chevy Van Tank. You can buy replacement aftermarket versions for about 90 dollars.

[​IMG]

In your case it is all GM.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

early 70's Blazer tank fits about perfect as well. They're pretty cheap as well.

21. houston54

houston54

Be sure to layout how your exhaust will be routed before deciding on a tank. If you use the Mustang tank you will probably not have enough room on the sides to route pipes for a rear exit. If you are planning to take it out the side it would be a good option. The first gen camaro tanks (18 gallon) also work well for that exhaust style.

I do not know if the Blazer tank is too wide.

I used a 16 gallon universal tank from Tanks, Inc with a bed fill access. I like it.

Be sure to work out the sending unit ohms before deciding. The Ford sender ohm range is different than the GM sending units.

22. The early S-10 pickups had a choice of 13 or 20 gallon tanks. Probably mount lenghtwise, parallel to the framerail. While you're at the boneyard, cut the gas door and pocket out of the S-10 bed. Then you could graft it into your boxside (if you have a wide box) for a clean setup. I just have a problem with putting the filler in the bed. Go for the stake pocket filler.

23. Are are you buying the early blazer fuel tanks from?

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

I do like the idea of having a larger tank considering that the 327 only gets around 12mpg to 14mpg depending on how heavy my foot is. I had also heard that the Blazer tanks were an option but hadn't talked to anyone who had done this swap. I'm leaning toward the Mustang tank (or Camaro to keep it all Chevy if it will fit)... looks like I'm going to need to check the dimensions of all of these and weigh the options. As far as exhaust, I actually have center dumps right now, they blow straight down under the axle but make a HUGE dusty mess, so I am planning on rerouting them for sure. I was leaning toward side exits but still not sure. I DO know that I was hoping to get an X-pipe under there for sound-pulse reduction and increased hp. I need to install one with 4 flanges so it can be dropped out seperately if/when the tranny needs to be removed or I burn the clutch...

25. I too wish to relocate my gas tank in my 55.2. Read all these responses and still unsure which way to jump. A BIG DIFFERENCE = I wish to use the existing Cab Filler and route the Fill Line to a Side-Fill tank located between the frame rails at the rear (only option underneath). I have an S-10 long-bed so I can measure for the S-10 tank source option, then visit junk yards. If anyone has any suggestions for an old man, put 'em here please. I will report back on my results.
    Plan to relocate the Battery into the Cab after the gas tank has a new home.

26. ...68-72 Nova tanks fit well, and the filler ends up behind a flip-down licence plate mounted in the "dip" in the stock rear bumper. Check Rockauto.com for good prices.
    ...this is a used tank pictured...I'm runnin the exhaust over the rear and down behind the rear tire...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Ditto on the Mustang tank...........hard to beat for the price and they were made for the trucks...fits like a glove............and some interesting filler door adaptations look pretty good......

28. bigdaddyking

bigdaddyking

I am in the same boat not sure what tank to go with. My main thing is that I wouldn't want to see this huge tank hanging below the license plate when looking at the back of the truck. Now i know you will have some but would like to see some pics of a truck or trucks with the bed on along with the tank mod.

Rich

29. ...on the Nova tank posted above, the bumper hides the tank from the rear, sorry no pics. I hate tanks that hang down too low.

30. WOW! You guys are fast! Thanks for the info. What are your sources for the Mustang. Nova and S-10 tanks, junk yard OR new on-line? Do any of them have SIDE Fillers? I had seen them when searching months ago, but didn't record the source (duh), now cannot find again. I can't reverse the one in the picture unless I eliminated the drive shaft = great for gas mileage, but way too slow = 0! :D