Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
HONESTHERMAN
Grenade Inspector

Default Rat Rods got tickets or Just stopped by Cops?

I pretty much know what I have been stopped for in California, Exposed tires etc. Hell one time in Wisconsin I had a cop who stopped me and said. Either you call a Tow Truck or I will !!!! Cause you aint driving that away. But on the East Coast, NO Helmet Law etc. How much trouble is it with Police on East Coast? What have you been stopped for? How bad was it?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
THR1LL3R
Alliance Member

Default Re: Rat Rods got tickets or Just stopped by Cops?

...no problems in the Midwest

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=213926
Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
1929rats

run my rod with open headers and slicks......got stopped twice....no tickets, just conversation. dont need fenders in MA for a '29 car. Id encourage you to contact your local sema rep and lobby for that (in states that require fenders).
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
GassersGarage
Old School HAMBer

It's been my experience that attitude gets the tickets/tow.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
dragrcr50
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GassersGarage View Post

I agree , I cant believe some of the stuff i see on the roads, im 60 yrs old and dont remember those cars on the road even in the mid sixtys. and if you had an attitude you paid for it dearly, more leniant now days by far...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
DE SOTO
BANNED

Quote:

This is a true statment to a point, But there ARE Cops with Attitude also.

I been stopped twice, Once ticketed for Open Headers, Cop had to ask WHAT The Hell i was driving, But was Cool for a Rookie Kid.

Second time was by a 3 Striper, He had such an attitude and almost Rear ended my Sport Coupe.. Got a ticket for Headers & Slicks..

Total Ass Hole Cop in front of my Daughter, Even his Back up was ashamed of his actions.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Ranunculous

We(myself and the hot rodders I hoodlum with) are very fortunate here in Western MD to have some decent constabulary.
Many are car enthusiasts themselves and with the amount of charity work we the hot rodders are priveledged to help with;they just leave us alone-unless we're obviously breaking some law in a dramatic fashion.We've earned a decent reputation,I'd guess?

Years ago I had an officer I knew walk out and hail me to look my truck over.He commented on the front scrub height(which was waaaay low)but commended me on my nice clean window glass-with a smile.(The truck had none,I was itching to take a spin and wasn't on a surface road).
"Drive safe and enjoy that hot rod,boy!"
I remember that and smile occasionally.
I got the glass in,try to keep it under 150(ft per hr) and respect him for protecting and serving.Just my story.

Some officers obviously are over-zealous and interpret the laws differently.I know they're marked,have the public's interest at heart(I'd hope?!) and are genuinely concerned.

Ticketing like in the case at of the Jalopy Showdown thread is asnine?Exposed engine citations for $100+.?
Wonders if they'd ticket our Amish neighbors?
Farm tractors/heavy equipment have exposed drivetrains,no signals and cannot compete with traffic at highway speed.They pay no road tax or licensing fees,yet you can drive one anywhere around here.Braking/handling ability on hardtop roads over 25 m.p.h.? Uh huh?
i know that's an apples and oranges comparison,but they're both rubber-tired conveyances with sometime passengers and pedestrians nearby.Buggies have steel rims and no tractibility.
No tickets there?

I do have some difficulty with that one...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Unclee

Attitude makes a big difference. At the Round-Up I witnessed an endless number of fenderless rods running with no baffles, no problem. But who DID the cops stop? The idiot who thought it'd be OK to do five burnouts in a three block area of South Congress!
Can I get an AMEN!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
MarkX

I drove my 52 chevy with straight pipe(no mufflers) for a couple years around Dallas as a daily driver and the one time I got stopped was when i was really speeding other wise the cops never really bothered with me........and my car was loud and looked obnoxious...but i also had current tags and inspection.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
mottsrods

My rod rides so low that I hit and scrub just about everything. I've been stopped once in Pigeon Forge,TN and he only wanted to know if I hurt anything and if I hit my oilpan. He was totally cool and didn't give me a hard time. On the other hand, when i've had to have the state dmv inspector to sign off on a new build, i've gotten "are you sure you want to drive this on the road" and "who are you trying to impress". I laughed so hard at the second one that I failed the inspection.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Zombie Hot Rod

There's not that many Hot Rods in NYC, so tickets for that sort of thing aren't really a problem here.

www.AtomicHotRods.com <----- "Psssst, Hot Rod Documentaries and T-Shirts over here."
Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
57JoeFoMoPar
Alliance Member

There is a general respect for classics here in NJ at least. Lots of cops I know are into the hobby as well, and I've frequently sat and talked cars over a cup of coffee with local PD. Most are good guys just doing their job, which unfortunately, often means writing BS citations to earn revenue for the town/state. Stay on the right side of the law, and you'll generally have no issues. That means at least a lap belt, a reselmblence of an exhaust system, and driving habits that don't include revving the piss out of the engine to draw attention to yourself and holeshots at stop lights. Attitude does go a long way, the police can smell asshole a mile away, and if you reek of it and a rat rod rockasilly attitude, the police will go far out of their way to screw your day up, and do so with a smile. When you see your local PD, smile and wave. talk to them and engage them. Answer questions about your car. Ask them about their families. Honestly, that's the way it should be whether the person is a cop or not. A little kindness and courtesy go a long way in life

"When life knocks you down from first class to coach, fart a whole lot and really stink up the place...that'll show 'em."
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
KIRK
Grenade Inspector

I've been running my 31 sedan here in Florida for 3 years now with no fenders or hood. I do have mufflers but run with the headers open once in a while. I have never been stopped but I don't ask for trouble either. I have never heard of any one getting hassled just for what they were driving. The cops here seem to be OK.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
dynaflash

I have been stopped in my 28 Model A just so the police could get a better look. He then told me he was sorry for holding me up but just had to see the car. Got to respect that. The car has mufflers and I do not run slicks, but it does not have a hood or fenders. Most of the time I drive it close to the speed limit. May get 5 or 10 over but nothing to draw attention to the car.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
sxdxmike
Grenade Inspector

can you really blame a cop for pulling over a 'rat rod'? some of these cars we see are just ridiculous. i don't mean to offend anyone by that, but it's true. thats why i just cruise the back roads and try not to bring much attention to myself. (also why i painted right over the rusty body with some brush on black paint) now, i'm always in dillsburg, and know that most of those officers are pretty nice guys. but there is one that gave me a hard time, so maybe it was the same guy that was giving tickets at latimore.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
olskool34

Here in Michigan, cops generally just like to look and move on. Granted if you are doing something stupid, they will pull you over but if you are just cruising down the road they seem to like to look more than pull you over. I am running open headers/no fenders/no hood/no back window and have had no problems.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #17
Cal Cowboy
BANNED

Probably the same anywhere. Cops get bored (had some tell me that) driving around when people aren't doing anything to be stopped. They like cars and looking at them. If you have an attitude they can allways find something on any hot rod or custom to issue a ticket, if your cool with them you gennerally won't have a problem.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
Road Kill PU
Alliance Member

Got stopped in my car by the patrol in Missouri. I was asked if I knew how fast I was going. I said honestly I did not know, that my speedo was broke(true) and I was running with a guy in a Dodge Dakota PU. The cop said yeh, we got him too. Any way he looked my car over, checked the car license, my license, told me to watch my speed and said have a nice trip and down the road he went. Nice guy.
Later,
Dick
online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
ratster
Old School HAMBer

no prob here in east tn
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
MIKE47

No attitude, no problems. I've been driving around NJ with open headers for about 5 years. I also have loud bikes. I don't sit at the light and rev the shit out of everything. When I pass a cop I do the smart thing and put the clutch in and coast when possible. I also don't do burn-outs at every light like some guys do. The other part of the attitude is to look like there is no reason for the guy to pull you over. If you're all paranoid and keep looking them to see what they are doing they get the feeling you're up to no good and will pull you over. If you look like you don't have any issues they won't have any. Also, I'm not 20 years old anymore, not to say I'm old but I know. Cops don't like to get snippy with older guys who've been to a few rodeos before. The younger you are the more likely the cop is to give you problems. The couple times I got pulled over when I was younger I was cool to them and they were cool to me. I've got a few tickets that I deserved and a few I shouldn't have. It takes a few times to learn.

Rumblers CC. NJ Chapter.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #21
Roothawg
Old School HAMBer

I am building a car with open fenders and cheater slicks. The slicks say right on the sidewall "not for highway use" but that was before they were grooved. Are they legal once grooved?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
six pack to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hot Rod View Post
There's not that many Hot Rods in NYC, so tickets for that sort of thing aren't really a problem here.
hahaha, reminds me of the cop who churpped the tires in the patrol car at the brooklyn show!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #23
gotra66
Grenade Inspector

Most of the cops here in CB seem to be cool with hot rods. Cruising was banned back in 1997 ( i think). Right after that, the cops were jerks and would pull over anyone who drove the street more than twice in an hour. They also had a few problems with cops harrassing teen agers and a few cops got suspended over it. But for the most part they have been cool. I know I did my fair share of hotrodding and was usually let go with a warning.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #24
full house Mouse
Grenade Inspector

Quote:

Heh a man after my own heart so true attitude does get you tickets no attitude and usually no hassle people are people every where in the world but heh if you want trouble thats the guys job, right!

Its true about cops have attitudes also.

One time in Phuket I was doing huge burn outs for the US NAVY in town for some R&R, a cop on the street waved at me to pull over, I waved back and kept on going he called in the a bunch of cars they pulled me over and started on me but I talked straight and didn't give them a hard time and they let me go !

Last edited by full house Mouse; 05-18-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #25
HOTRODPRIMER
Alliance Member

When I was in my teens here in South Carolina excessive noise was the tickets I got the most,,,since then I have recieved only one warning ticket for blue dots.

I build my cars to satisfy me,,no one else and I don't build them for shock value! HRP

'54 Ranch Wagon build photos
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #26
53PlymCran

You also have to consider there are a few different types of cops that stop people driving - those who are enforcing traffic laws/vehicle codes, those who are looking for a pretext stop, and those that just like the car.

If you get stopped by a metro/traffic officer, chances are you're going to get a ticket, because that's their job.

If you get stopped by a patrol officer, it's likely that calls for service are pretty slow-going and they're looking for something to do. When a patrol officer stops you, you're either doing something blatantly unsafe/stupid, or they're thinking that there's some reason to take you to jail. So they'll stop you just see if there's any way they can search you or the car for guns/drugs/anything-else-illegal, or run you for warrants. If they get the impression that you're not a dirtbag, you license is valid and the car is ok, they advise on whatever violation they used to stop you, and you're on your way.

It's always refreshing if it's just because the cop likes the car and wants to bullshit about it for a minute.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #27
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

In this area, The Yakima Valley of Washington state It's real easy to get pulled over for no front plate or scrub line violatons. I drive too many miles to put up with open exhaust on any of my own rigs and would rather have a sweet sounding set of pipes than just loud. Not to say that at the moment my 71 Daily driver pickup is damned loud and is great fun to set off car alarms with.
Regular commisioned officers aren't too bad to deal with around here but the small town reserves can be a royal pain as they try to make a name for themselves by writing tickets.
On the highways all you have to do is let one of these rice burners with fart pipe and sprint car wing get about a half mile ahead of you and no problem lol. That or an Idaho Toyota 4x4 as they are usually running 15 over and passing everyone else with abandon.

I don't run open hedders, and have no use for slicks on the street(Ive been in the bar ditch twice with the 48 in rain storms with N 50's and don't like the feeling), will run a collectors plate next time to be rear plate only but I may still be a prime candidate for scrub line issues as the truck is going to be low and will not have bags.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #28
Hot Rod Bob

I ran into a road block once in my A when I was running open headers, thought for sure I was goin to get ticketed, the cop waved me through an yelled "nice ride man".
Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #29
Javier

A cop gave me a thumbs the other day while I was doing 35 in a 20mph school zone.I normally dont speed in school zones.Guess I was lucky that cop is in to old trucks.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
1950ChevySuburban
Member Emeritus

Rat rods get ticketed by cops
Hot rods get appreciated by them!

/showthread.php?t=635145
Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #31
ERKEL

im with ratster- no problem in east tn. ive driven a camaro with slicks to a henry j with a 6-71.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #32
Mazooma1
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950chevysuburban View Post
rat rods get ticketed by cops
hot rods get appreciated by them!

bingo!!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #33
six pack to go

Cops are like sharks, sometimes you can swim with them, sometimes they bite you!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #34
Kensey

There's two sides to every story. Let's see the rat rod in question. Can you post a pict? Not saying yours is a bucket of a** holes, but I've seen a LOT that should be put out of their miseries. Pure junk cobble f-ed together in the name of rat rod silliness.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #35
Firetop
Grenade Inspector

i got pulled over when I lived in Austin in my 51 on the way home from a shop repair. No plates straight pipes etc.had just bought the truck We shot the shit and he said he pulled me over just to admire my truck and say how much he appreciated me keeping another one from getting crushed. I think a good attitude goes a long way. Cop or not no one likes a person who's an asshole with attitude...
Old 05-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #36
hotrod1940
Old School HAMBer

I have been hotrodding for fifty years and I never drove a car with open headers on the street. Loud on the street is neither fast nor cool. I drove drag cars over the years and loud there is a by product of racing, on the street, it is posing.
I knew if I ran open headers on the street I was asking for trouble in my town. "Hook nose" Tony, the motorcycle cop, would run you in for sure.
I agree with the attitude theory.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #37
35Chevy.com

Its all about age and attitude.

I dont get tickets because I have age (50 years old) and I dont have an attitude.

My son who is 19 gets stopped all of the time driving my wife's 2003 Oldsmobile.

Gary
Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #38
35Chevy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1940 View Post
Loud on the street is neither fast nor cool., on the street, it is posing.
I knew if I ran open headers on the street I was asking for trouble in my town.
I couldn't agree more. And Its seems to me that here in NJ anyway the noise statutes are not enforced. There have been times 2:00 in the morning that I wanted to kill the kids down the street with their rice burning clown cars.

Gary
Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #39
Da' Bomb
Alliance Member

I usally get a thumbs up from the locals........But then last summer, I was cuffed and stuffed while they searched my car....I'm fifty and until that point never been been handcuffed by an officer......But that's another story
Pat
Old 05-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #40
swade41
Old School HAMBer

I got two warnings last year and during both lectures they both said that I had to nice of a car to be laying rubber with out on the public street. They both suggested I should take it to our local 1/8 mi. strip and do it there. I also made sure that they understood I waited for an empty street to have my fun on so I was not endangering others, not that it made it right but that I wasn't stupid.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #41
Appleseed

Rat rods? Deserve every ticket they get.

Hot rods, however...
Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #42
corsair
Grenade Inspector

I don't care how bad you guys think cops harrass rat rods, it ain't nothin compared to what happens if you hit the road in an import. I used to autocross, and had a Civic set up for Street Prepared. I'd take that thing to work every once in a while when the daily was being repaired, and if it wasn't the cops pulling me over, it was kids trying to get fast and furious with me. Just thinking about it makes me remember why I left that crap behind years ago.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #43
alex1954chevy
Grenade Inspector

i was in a parking lot i hit my flame throwers a few times and never saw the cop but he gave me a "RACING" ticket because i hit my "NITRO BOOSTERS". i tried to explain that i didnt have nitrous and how flame throwers work but he wasnt having it. and to make matters work on the ticket he wrote my speed was 45 IN A 35 even though my car was in PARK!!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #44
7"Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950ChevySuburban View Post
Rat rods get ticketed by cops
Hot rods get appreciated by them!
So True.

Trailers Are For Boats
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #45
tikidiablo

Been pulled over twice , exchanged numbers/business cards with the cops. Shoot the shit every now and then.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #46
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

A local guy has a Tobias chassis '36 Chevy coach modified from the '70s made street legal, has huge dirt track tires and no fenders whatsoever. Has been driving it for years.

I've run for long periods of time with no muffler with never more than a warning.

If you do dumb stuff you get pulled over, my late model beater truck is the last vehicle I got pulled over in and that because the cop said I rolled a stop sign... I didn't think I did but I didn't argue... it didn't help that I needed to run another ground to fix the left rear taillight so that it wouldn't just go out entirely when I hit the brakes. But he was nice about it, the ticket he gave me I was able to get out of via the mail.

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #47
OoltewahSpeedShop
Alliance Member

Just tell them it's not a RatRod and they will let you go....

Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 AM   #48
Hot Rod Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTHERMAN View Post
I pretty much know what I have been stopped for in California, Exposed tires etc....
Actually, to the best of my knowledge, in California, the no fender law (exposed tires) is exempt from prosecution if your car is "grandfathered" in. Meaning, if your hot rod was built before the law was enacted, then the law is not applicable. Fortunately for us California hot rodders, the burden of proof is on the law official.

I will have to do some searching to find that specific loop hole vehicle code section.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 AM   #49
Hot Rod Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1954chevy View Post
i was in a parking lot i hit my flame throwers a few times and never saw the cop but he gave me a "RACING" ticket because i hit my "NITRO BOOSTERS". i tried to explain that i didnt have nitrous and how flame throwers work but he wasnt having it. and to make matters work on the ticket he wrote my speed was 45 IN A 35 even though my car was in PARK!!
I would fight that one if I were you. If all else fails, talk to an attorney that specifically handles traffic cases. I bet he/she gets it thrown out on all kinds of technicalities. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:56 AM   #50
ROADRAT EDDIE

Not much problem here at all unless you're acting like an asshole....More likely to get pulled over if you're in a late model Corvette, Viper, Ferrari, etc...Must be an envy thing
Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 AM   #51
Cajun Kenny
Old School HAMBer

i live in a small town that everyone knows everybody , the cops dont pay me know mind and usually when i pass them on the road it dont make much difference , they just smile and wave!!
Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 AM   #52
DocWatson
Old School HAMBer

Im on the cops side, all Rat Rods should be taken off the road.

Hot Rods are a different story, I agree much has to do with attitude, I have gotten out of many tickets just by being nice and talking to the cop, there just like us and have a job to do. (Yeah, I know a lot of cops!)
Doc.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #53
skwurl

I got tickets for no seat belts once. I tried to explain that it didnt come with them. He wasnt havin it. I got pulled once for a headkight out. th cop was real cool and chatted with me a bit.I've been pulled over so many times on my bike most of them here just wave at me now. I got to know some of them. I always wave as I'm passing by the police station just to stay in thier good graces.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #54
38fordpickup
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratster View Post
no prob here in east tn
Unless you drive through Benton TN with an out of state tag, All those clowns do is watch for out of state tags on 411.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #55
Winged Avenger II

only time i got stopped here in wis. was because the cop thought the car was cool and wanted a look see.

Conventionality Belongs To Yesterday
Wasn't born to follow
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #56
kustomkat

Small time for most of you guys, but..... I was in Pismo Beach and was stopped in my 53. He asked me if I had mufflers on it. I told him that I had just had the exhaust put on, which I had. I told him that he was welcome to look under the car if he wanted to. He then asked if I could raise it up. I told him that I couldn't as this is where it sits. I guess he didn't want to get dirty cause he let me go. Good thing he didn't look underneath as all he would of seen was about 20 feet of pipe and a bunch of oil...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #57
slepe67

heh heh, I've had the misfortune of being pulled over 3 times, in 3 states, in the last 3 months. Each time, I told the cop the truth.

First cop, KY Highway Partol told me that he was going to let me go, because not too many people told him the truth, they usually argued with him. I honestly had no idea what the speed limit was. I also was doing 71 in a 55.

Second cop, FL HWY Patrol told me that he usually had his mind made up about giving a ticket before he even got out of the car. He said he'd make an exception in my case. 73 in a 65.

Third cop, USAF Security Forces. Told him, again, I had no idea what the speed limit was, and where the HELL was the sign? "Slow Down", and let me go...whew, I think I am due for a big one, which is why I am using cruise control like a mofo!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #58
Bigchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr50 View Post
I agree , I cant believe some of the stuff i see on the roads, im 60 yrs old and dont remember those cars on the road even in the mid sixtys. and if you had an attitude you paid for it dearly, more leniant now days by far...
"leniant" ? Yeah, maybe. A friend of mine told me that back in the 60's he and his buddy got the crap beat out of them by Andy and Barney for no reason other than they had long hair. They were cooperative and not resisting. The only thing that saved them was that the dipshit cops forgot they had a passanger and a witness. I think they were pulled over for a minor traffic violation. At least back then they had to have a reason to pull you over.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #59
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

Ive been lucky i guess.
Ive never been pulled over while driving any of my "Toys", although none of them are Rat Rods so..maybe i shouldnt be replying to this question?

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #60
C/Gas55
Grenade Inspector

I spoke with a NJ State Trooper about my Duece Pickup ( wich is hoodless, fenderless and open headered ) to get his opinion. He said 99% of the troopers he knows wouldn't look twice unless I was doing something stupid like burnin' the tires off. He said what they're lookin for is wet fart sounding, front wheel drive, fast and furious shit boxes with big wings on thier trunks.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #61
Probesport
Alliance Member

The laws on what can be street driven in Michigan it's hard to get pulled over for a violation like that.

I see open cockpit tube frame dune buggies driving around the Metro Detroit area all the time. Unless your car is half missing and on fire I doubt you will get anything more than an interested glance.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #62
realkustom51

I have proof of one of the Vaughn tickets. In 1976 my brother Cory (customcory) had just turned 15 and had just got his 48 Chevy running and decided to go by himself on a little test ride. In NC you cant get that creative with anything when it comes to the Highway Patrol. He got caught. Here is the ticket I saved.

Last edited by realkustom51; 05-19-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #63
Mr. Sinister

most police i've run into in my 55 are pretty cool. most of them seem to have a respect for the classics so long as you respect the rules of the road. i've gotten away with a few that i probably wouldn't have in a late model. hell, i even had a sheriff come to one of our hangout spots and check my car out. he was just another car guy and he started telling me about the 70 camaro he had at home he was building. another time i rolled into a sobriety checkpoint and the cop looked at the car and said "i know you're not driving this car drunk. nice car, have a good evening."

it's all in the attitude and how you carry yourself. if you're acting like a prick, they're going to treat you like one. we don't really have many scenesters and poseurs around here, most car nuts are just working guys that put in their own time and effort to keep their rides on the road.

Broken Rods CC

Last edited by Mr. Sinister; 05-19-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #64
29nash
BANNED

With the new team in DC, I'm wondering if I could get a ticket for having more fun than the law allows?

As a lot have already said it, and it's always been that way, attitude, attitude, attitude. If you do get stopped, don't whine and blame the messenger for pointing out the infraction.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #65
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roothawg View Post
I am building a car with open fenders and cheater slicks. The slicks say right on the sidewall "not for highway use" but that was before they were grooved. Are they legal once grooved?
You're not serious, are you? The sidewall is what is not DOT APPROVED in the tire. There's way around it and I've done it but won't let it out in an open forum. You're asking for trouble.

In general cops are human beings like you and I. Some of us are just dickheads and that includes some of them. No hood? I'd fight it. Flamethrowers in PARK? I'd make a complete ass of that one in front of the judge. Same with the no seatbelt in cars that don't have em. In all fairness to younger cops they can't fathom things like having to pump the accellerator to start a car, or that any car woulda been built without seatbelts. It's easy to think everyone is into cars and hotrods but we're really a small percentage of the population. I've driven some of the most expensive and awesome cars around that didn't even get noticed. How do you not recognize a Duesenberg? Funny sometimes how other drivers are somewhat "blind"...cops too.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #66
HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

For the most part we are our own worst enemy... We know that driving with no fenders (Ca.) loud pipes, no windshield wipers, slicks, no front lic. plate (Ca.) or violations like speed, no signaling etc. are against the law. We do them but bitch and moan when caught. I am guilty of most of these and have nobody to blame but myself. Life would be boring if we conformed to the cookie cutter image of a model citizen. I have had warnings and ignored them, I have had citations, paid them and repeated the offence numerous times, I have even been let go with neither. Avoiding getting stopped is important, loud colors attract the eye of the police, loud noise mufflers, stay with the flow of traffic. Gm, Ford ect. were kind to you they gave you a rearview mirror, watch the review mirror as much as you do in front of you, thats where the copper usually sneaks up on you.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #67
wingnutz
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTHERMAN View Post
I pretty much know what I have been stopped for in California, Exposed tires etc. Hell one time in Wisconsin I had a cop who stopped me and said. Either you call a Tow Truck or I will !!!! Cause you aint driving that away.
When...???

Not that it doesn't happen... but the only and last time I've heard a Wisconsin Officer requesting a vehicle be "Towed" from a scene was when Cadillackid finished his Tudor at 3 a.m. and got Stopped at 3:02 a.m. for "Speeding, no exhaust, and no registration!

But there were several violations that warranted not only probable cause but enforceable citations... but no citations were issued after we called for the trailer... in fact they helped push the car on the trailer...!

We all had a "Great attitude" did as we were instructed..., weren't drinking and didn't threaten the officers in any way!

Here's the video of that very morning...

Last edited by wingnutz; 05-19-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #68
wildearp

I rolled out of my garage on a maiden voyage in my pro-street 56 with no bed, no hood, no interior, no headlights, etc. I stopped for a red light and a cop rolled up across from me. Yup, I got stopped. He was checking out the shiny motor and I had license, reg, insurance, and I bet he was surprised at that........ No ticket.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #69
Mikey's Pinstriping

It doesn't have to be an older rod to get harrassed by the cops. I've been profiled by few cops just because I drive cars that are different. I was driving my 92 Buick sedan delivery over to my daughters house one evening and the sheriff who passed me turned around and followed me, 2 feet from by rear, all the way to her house. I stopped, got out, waved him down and asked him what's up. He said that there has been drug activity around this area and they are watching for suspisious drivers (I've been told that before) I turned and looked at my car with amazement and said "You gotta be kidding, right!? You're profiling that car, with my name on the sides, phone numbers and website lettered on the back window!" He smiled and left. But, the funny thing was, as my daughter pointed out, I had all my diabetes and pain meds in a baggie sticking out of my shirt pocket. I've been pulled over many times for the way my ride looks. I always try to keep my attitude in check but some of the cops I've dealt with are reall assholes. On the other hand, I have cop friends who are hot rodders and they can't stand cops who treat us like criminals.

Mikey
"Intense as Hell...Doing it Well"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Sub-Wag  Stripes 029.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	664019  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #70
dana barlow

Wink Re: Rat Rods got tickets or Just stopped by Cops?

There[cops]job is also safety of others,yes some can be assholes just as some of us,I got a BS ticket for dim tail lights on my full custom Henry J a long time ago by a cop named Dick something,OK mybe it was Richard.
But if your driving a rusty,holy,dented or just bad ruff flat black want-to-be-rod,then too most it looks like it looks to them,a shit box that needs a lot of work yet. Guess what, many do,so don't be mad at them for asking if it's safe [some are not],it don't look safe to most and if they are nice about ,great,but be nice your self,later ya can tell some big BS story to your buds,just stay off the hook and go home and work on it,keep making it better,takes a lot of work.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #71
Buddha5150

Talking Re: Rat Rods got tickets or Just stopped by Cops?

That depends on who your riding with or what town your in.hehehe...remember pigeon forge and b's sudan. Got a ticket for not having a 14" ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratster View Post
no prob here in east tn
Old 05-25-2009, 01:54 AM   #72
69fury

i'm told that in Kansas seatbelts and license plate illumination cannot be grandfathered in- i have to install them. for the best, i'm sure, but 5 point harnesses are not legal, since they aren't DOT approved

Got stopped one night in my '49 Willys Overland 4X4-63 Jeep Delivery for only having one tailight. Right in the middle of the left rear door. After explaining that in 1949 this is how jeeps were, he actually stepped back and said that he thought it was some new kinda Cherokee. wow.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #73
RDAH

Read some of these posts and it sounds like most cops are OK. Twice now I've been followed with my 23-T. Guess some young cops don't know what a hobbiest plate means until they call it in. I'M 60 now, but I can remember back in 67 on a Friday night taking the front bumper off my 56 Ford to look cool. Never made it through town once. Put a new glass pack on back then also and got stopped that next day with the bumper on. Cops seam a lot less likely to stop ya now days. Maybe because they never watched all those B- rated Hot Rod movies from the 50's & 60's.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #74
phartman

Been stopped twice.

First time was a county sheriff who followed me for over a mile and then hit the siren and lights. I stopped immediately, rolled down the window and had both hands on the window sill, and he walked up and said, "Relax, relax, I just want to see your car. I saw what you had. Knew you would either pull over or make a run for it. I was hopin' you'd run for it. I used to race. This thing looks FAST!" We spoke for 20 minutes, just chatted and visited a little and off I went. He was cool.

Second time was for speeding, 82 in a 55 mph zone. Had to go to court. The judge asked the trooper if I was polite and cooperative. The trooper affirmed. I got traffic school, no ticket, no points, no record.

Attitude. Be polite and cooperative. Those are the two magic words.

My buddy is well into his '60s and still drives the hopped up '57 he had in high school, completely unrestored. He got pulled by a very young trooper near Culpepper, VA. The trooper asked him, "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" Tom said he really didn't, since the speedometer needle jumps around at speed. The trooper said, "Sir, you were doing almost 80. I didn't think you or these old cars would go that fast, but you were flying. Just stopped you to make sure you were ok. Have a nice day!" Let him off with a warning to fix the speedometer. No ticket for speeding.

Attitude.

Pete
Richmond, VA
Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #75
DocWatson
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Answer questions about your car. Ask them about their families. Honestly, that's the way it should be whether the person is a cop or not. A little kindness and courtesy go a long way in life
I found out this don't always work that well, I asked the last cop that pulled me over if his wife was good in the sack?
I'm up for parole in six more years........
Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #76
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkustom51 View Post
I have proof of one of the Vaughn tickets. In 1976 my brother Cory (customcory) had just turned 15 and had just got his 48 Chevy running and decided to go by himself on a little test ride. In NC you cant get that creative with anything when it comes to the Highway Patrol. He got caught. Here is the ticket I saved.
Oh man, don't leave us hanging...so what happened to your brother? What did the court order? You gotta tell us the rest, this story is too good.

I grew up in Raleigh. My buddy "high-jacked" the family's '64 Malibu one night for a joy ride. Woke up Mom as he was leaving. No cops, but he had to deal with Mom, which was worse. She was there on the front porch waiting when he got back. Not good. He ended up with a very long and successful career with GM. Guess he found his calling.

Pete
Richmond, VA
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #77
ragtop35
Grenade Inspector

I recall back in the day, Larry Watson had so many "Too Low" tickets in his square bird that they revoked his drivers licence. I got stopped for blue dot taillights once, no ticket, just said if I see them again, you will get a ticket. Never was stopped again.
Friend of mine has a 48 anglia that was a former race car with a 488" rat, drove it on the streets in So Cal for years on slicks. Never was hassled. Had a sign in the window from a Clint Eastwood movie
"Are you feeling lucky punk? Well are you?" Are you out there Rick?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #78
prost34
Grenade Inspector

I remmember the first week i drove my 34 to high school,i was 16 ,no fenders,no hood,no side glass,no interior just 2 bucket seats,a set of header mufflers,no wipers,just headlights and tail lights to be legal,,,i was pulled over and the cop came up and screamed "do you know how fast you where going in this thing?!",i pointed to my dash and said no!,i have no guages yet!,the look on his face was priceless,then he asked about my hood,fenders etc.,and i said in a calm voice officer its a 1934 ford,maybe you can tell me where to find those parts for me?,cause i cant find them (with a smile),then he asked wheres your seat belts?,i told him they did not have seat belts in 1934 officer,,he quickly said yea,they did not have small block chevy,s and mickey thompson tires either,,,slow down and walked away,,,,that was in upstate new york in the early 90,s,small town,,,
Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #79
prost34
Grenade Inspector

The car still looks the same today,,,,,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imported Photos 00113.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	514.0 KB
ID:	668529  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #80
HONESTHERMAN
Grenade Inspector

When I was stopped in Wisconsin and was told "Either you call a tow truck or I will" By the cop. I had my Pregnant Wife in the car and Believe me I looked like the boy next door. I never Argue with a cop ! He just said This Damn Thing is Dangerous. He said I DO NOT Believe you can safely operate this thing... A Bit loud Headers with Thrush Mufflers. No Rear fenders. So I pushed it into a Private Driveway. Came back 6 hours later and drove it home. I Stayed out of that town (Just outside of Hayward Wisconsin)
Old 05-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #81
realkustom51

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
Oh man, don't leave us hanging...so what happened to your brother? What did the court order? You gotta tell us the rest, this story is too good.

I grew up in Raleigh. My buddy "high-jacked" the family's '64 Malibu one night for a joy ride. Woke up Mom as he was leaving. No cops, but he had to deal with Mom, which was worse. She was there on the front porch waiting when he got back. Not good. He ended up with a very long and successful career with GM. Guess he found his calling.

Pete
Richmond, VA
Paid the ticket, pretty long string of tickets followed as I remember. Cory allways had long hair and thats a recepie for a ticket in any town. Here is the 48 about 1978.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ticket to hell.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	668595  
Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #82
52style
Grenade Inspector

had a cop smash out my headlight with his flashlight once when i asked him why he pulled me over he said because i had a headlight out

but i think it had little to do with my vehicle and more that i wouldnt rat on my buddy a week earlier when i was handcuffed to a chair being beaten with a phone book
Old 05-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #83
Doc Squat

I saw a 40 Ford more door pulled over about half way between Tulsa and Joplin on friday. He passed us like we were sitting still. Seen the car arounf Tulsa, don't know the guys name. Wonder if he actually got a ticket. You had to know being a holiday weekend the HP would be out.
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Like I told the kid, "Your music's not too loud, it's just like OKC, it sucks!"
Old 05-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #84
Flatheadguy
Alliance Member

Massachusettts....60s. Model A roadster on 32 frame. Cycle fenders on...off....on again. Headers (outside body) on...off....on again. The cop that stoppped me for outside headers actually burned his shin on the collector pipe. I almost wet my pants laughing....which didn't help at all.
And I wll not mention the Casler slicks on the rear wheels. But, I had my shops "Repair" plates on the car and he couldn't do a damn thing. Oh, yeah, he did write me up for nonsense...a hand operated wiper blade. Later thrown out of court by a judge who knew something about antique and classic cars.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #85
37hotrod
Alliance Member

I've posted this before, but here it is again. As a rule, Officers have less than a second to decide if any given situation is going to kill them. If you can avoid doing anything stupid during the half second that you have their attention, you'll usually be alright.

A word about attitude...let me know where you work, so that I can come into your place of business, call you a cocksucker, act like an idiot, and then expect to be treated with respect!

Too young to quit...too old to change.

Lucky Stiffs C.C. Nomad Chapter
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #86
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

I wish more cops would ticket rat rods. Rat rodding should be against the law.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:40 AM   #87
38fordpickup
Old School HAMBer

Only time I've ever been stopped in my '38 Ford pickup (avatar photo) was Monday of this week by a local Barney Fife who didn't know the law on year of manufacture tags and didn't think my tag was legal. Had to explain the law to Barney.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #88
wsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude_trucks View Post
69Fury said, "Got stopped one night in my '49 Willys Overland 4X4-63 Jeep Delivery for only having one tailight. Right in the middle of the left rear door. After explaining that in 1949 this is how jeeps were, he actually stepped back and said that he thought it was some new kinda Cherokee. wow. "

Legislation to ticket rat rods is legislation to ticket hot rods. The line is clear to you and me but we're not the ones issuing tickets. Most people lump us into the general category of "weird old cars that don't look like mine or my friends'."

Like it or not, we're in this together with the rat rodders, ckustomizers, billet boys and restorers. We can have our little divisions among ourselves but when it comes time to make laws, most old cars are thought of as simply old cars.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #89
Hot Rod Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37hotrod View Post
I've posted this before, but here it is again. As a rule, Officers have less than a second to decide if any given situation is going to kill them. If you can avoid doing anything stupid during the half second that you have their attention, you'll usually be alright.

A word about attitude...let me know where you work, so that I can come into your place of business, call you a cocksucker, act like an idiot, and then expect to be treated with respect!
Don't tell me, ... you're one of those: cops can do no wrong and are really super, steller, more than human, saintly angel types, who always defends their every action?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #90
Hot Rod Michelle

Quote:
Well, then where does one draw the line? To some of the hippycrits in the senate, they are all rat rods that need to be crushed. These are the same yahoos that want to force you to buy the smart car. So, then why give them more fuel for their fire? Even if I don't particularly like rat rods or rice racers, we are all really on the same side. That is to say, the side that believes in freedom of self expression in all things, including and especially what we CHOOSE to drive.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #91
PoPo

You also have to consider there are a few different types of cops that stop people driving - those who are enforcing traffic laws/vehicle codes, those who are looking for a pretext stop, and those that just like the car.

If you get stopped by a metro/traffic officer, chances are you're going to get a ticket, because that's their job.

If you get stopped by a patrol officer, it's likely that calls for service are pretty slow-going and they're looking for something to do. When a patrol officer stops you, you're either doing something blatantly unsafe/stupid, or they're thinking that there's some reason to take you to jail. So they'll stop you just see if there's any way they can search you or the car for guns/drugs/anything-else-illegal, or run you for warrants. If they get the impression that you're not a dirtbag, you license is valid and the car is ok, they advise on whatever violation they used to stop you, and you're on your way.

It's always refreshing if it's just because the cop likes the car and wants to bullshit about it for a minute.

THIS IS THE BEST ANSWER SO FAR. I don't mess with people unless they make me, Im a Patrol officer, and I won't write you if your respectful.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #92
Fordguy78

Just remember, if you're driving a hot rod around, you are already the victim of suspicion. Don't draw any unwanted attention to yourself and be polite.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #93
dirty petcock
Grenade Inspector

if you driving a rat rod you should be pulled over. My pos is questionable.lol, chopped, channeled, zoomies, sounds like a rat rod to me, anyway. I'm just kidding, no problems in upstate NY. My friend Al "jetmek" did a big burnout leaving the light the other day with a cop behind him and duh, got a ticket.lol.. mike post the picture man
Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #94
alfredfromchicago

Quote:
Are you one of those guys who gets pissed off when a rat rod / rust rod gets more attention than a perfectly restored classic?
I'd rather see either one, than any other honda, toyota, cavalier, or mass produced crap with 27 speakers that tend to litter the roads today.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #95
Retro Jim
Old School HAMBer

Here in Pa. you are allowed to have open engine as long as you have a shroud or something covering the fan . You can also run without fenders as long as they are certain sizes front the front and back .
These other things that are on the roads shouldn't be allowed to drive on private ground . They go out of their way to find barb wire and all kinds of shit to stick on the R/Rod ! Those people are just plain asking for it ! They make it bad for the rest of use that have safe hot rods ! If you drive all the time with OPEN HEADERS & SLICKS then you get what you deserve ! You are just asking for the man to come and give you a ticket !
So don't go around crying about the tickets you get or the attitude you get because about 99% of the time , you asked for it or they wouldn't have pulled you over ! The other 1% stop you to see your hot rod !
Drive safely and don't be a fucking asshole !
Old 05-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #96
alfredfromchicago

Last year at at the stabil cruize in chicago One guy started doing some crazy burnouts on the way out and the gate cop ran up and blocked his newer mustang and tried holding him there.
This cop was pissed!!! The driver started pulling forward pushing the cop back and the cop wound up on the hood Eventually the mustang driver went thru him and sped off!!!! How'd he get away with this???? He was a cop himself. A number of the bystanders knew him...
Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #97
Hot Rod Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inarow View Post
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder
Yep! Sure do. I've got one the size of Texas. It keeps my chiropracter in business.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #98
timothale
Grenade Inspector

when i was living in Calif in the 60's I bought a copy of the DMV hand book and memorized it, had to move my headlights up and farther apart. ... stopped for 1 hand operated windshield wiper and quoted section that applied. My brother took the local cops in Idaho Deer hunting in a restricted area and got away with a lot of stuff for about 3 months before they ticketed him for drag racing down main streed.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #99
Insane 1

Interesting that this comes up as I was just pulled over a couple of hours a go, for no tags (no sticker on windshield, and inspection out since 8 0f 08) on my 68 galaxie conv. As he walked up he seen the antique plates and just started talking cars. Come to find out he has a 70 Road Runner, and looking for a 4 door Model A. Pretty cool guy. We talked for about 20 minutes in a parking lot.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 AM   #100
Hot Rod Michelle

I'm not saying there aren't any cool cops. In fact, I happen to know several. But, the fact remains, the ratio of cool good ones to morons is significantly low.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #101
alfredfromchicago

I just recalled an incident a few years ago, I was picking up a girl in my 60 caddy which had been burnt up in a fire and had only the windshield which I had replaced and no rear or side windows. After she got in and I began to pull off a cop turned the corner in front of us but wasnt watching where he was going and would of hit me head on if I didn't evasivly pull to the right up onto somebodys lawn. at this point the cop woke up, and stopped me. he said he was here on a report of a suspicious looking old car without windows. I said that must be me, and asked him what windows I needed other than the windshield. He couldn't think of any and let me pass.
Boy was I glad I didn't let him hit me head on while he wasn't paying attention. How do you not see a 60 caddy comin at you anyway????
Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #102
Dr. Fishstein
Grenade Inspector

My girl and I had gone for a drive on a Saturday; we had decided to take the scenic route. Now my 64 Valiant is not the prettiest thing with a beat quarter panel and primed black, but it is no RAT ROD. We rolled along all day with no problems; my car is a bit on the loud side with 18 inch glasspack so it being a manual trans car I always wind out the gears a bit, no problem. We'll on the return trip just outside of a small town called Shelbyville the speed limit is 55 until about 100 yard outside of town. As we got about 1 mile out of town, my girls say to me check your speed, we both looked at my speedo and it said 50, and with the difference in tire size it put me right around 55-56 mph. There was no traffic in front of me or behind me, nothing in the oncoming lanes either, as we rolled closer three cars approached and the last one was the local constable, as soon as he passed me, he whipped his cruiser around and hit the lights. We pulled over and pulled out all the necessary and current paperwork, he said his laser radar clocked me a 70 mph in a 55 zone, both my girl and I exclaimed that we were doing 55, he said his radar was just calibrated and it did not lie. So I was written a 15 over ticket. I wound up having to take my car to a chassis dyno to check my speedo, found that my speedo was about 5 to 6 miles an hour off which I knew, the guy running the dyno made the paper work show that my speedo was about 11-12 mph off. I took the paperwork and ticket to the court house in this small town, because the way the ticket was written I had to go to court, it was reduced to defective equipment, and still cost me 125 bucks. We later found out that the town is known for its crooked speed traps, so we avoid that area, which is sad because they have nice antique shops and restaurants.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #103
6inarow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Michelle View Post
Yep! Sure do. I've got one the size of Texas. It keeps my chiropracter in business.
Nice attitude - I'm sure it will get you places

Quote:
I'm not saying there aren't any cool cops. In fact, I happen to know several. But, the fact remains, the ratio of cool good ones to morons is significantly low.

A few months ago I got a ticket for 59 in a 55. I thought I had my cruise set at 57 but must not have. So it was probably accurate. Yeah, the guy was a jerk, but I'm not going to go off on him. I wasnt going to make it worse because of my attitude. Nothing on the ticket wasnt the truth. There probably isnt any higher ratio of "cool good ones to morons" for cops as for the professional slacker/student (or dentists).
Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #104
Pat Pryor

in jersey, its not the cops that are bad its the dmv they like to f**k u any way they could like if your title has one little water stain in the top corner ''its no good". you will have to do a lost title search. so once you get passed them the cops arent too bad after all
Old 05-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #105
34 Plymouth Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post

I

yea what he said!!!

I got my licence in 1969 and drove a 41 Ford with a small block in it. We lived in a small town about 30 miles north of NYC. Unfortunatly most of the local police dept were friends of Mom and Dad, so if I screwed around they would either be waiting for me in the driveway when I pulled in, or they tell the old man when they saw him the next day.

That said, I've always found if you don't have an attitude, you can usually avoid a ticket.

Of course if you act like an asshole, then you deserve the ticket!!

Bob
Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #106
ROCKET88COUPE

the trick is to make believe your the police,look your car over or what ever your driving and ask yourself would i ticket this thing?some ive seen on the road today,i wouldnt have drove to high school in the fifties,others are damn right neat
Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #107
Spyder

In Houston and Denver, I've earned every ticket I've got in a hot rod or mustang, not that I'm proud of it. It's been 5 years since the last one.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #108
Hank37

Years ago I was coming back from the Nats in Syracuse N.Y. I passed a state police car parked off the road I was doing 70 in a 35 zone he didn't come after me so about 5 miles done the road pulled into a Mickey D's to eat. Looking out the window I spot 2 sheriff cars pulled in front of my 37. They stayed there until I left the building. I get to the car and was ready to be arrested, to my surprise the officer said they wanted to look the 37 over , asked how it handled and how the Caddy mill run in the 37. They were smiling the whole time and waited till I fired it up and wished me a safe trip back to PA.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #109
Kenneth S

A buddy of mine has a mount for his video camera on the roll cage of his 66 chevelle pro street car, when he drives it he puts the camera in the car so if he should get pulled over he can get a video of the cops attitude (before he hands the cop his drivers licence he tells them that they are being video taped, he said you'd be amazed as to how quick the one's with a bad attitude change their attitudes).
Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #110
38fordpickup
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fishstein View Post
My girl and I had gone for a drive on a Saturday; we had decided to take the scenic route. Now my 64 Valiant is not the prettiest thing with a beat quarter panel and primed black, but it is no RAT ROD. We rolled along all day with no problems; my car is a bit on the loud side with 18 inch glasspack so it being a manual trans car I always wind out the gears a bit, no problem. We'll on the return trip just outside of a small town called Shelbyville the speed limit is 55 until about 100 yard outside of town. As we got about 1 mile out of town, my girls say to me check your speed, we both looked at my speedo and it said 50, and with the difference in tire size it put me right around 55-56 mph. There was no traffic in front of me or behind me, nothing in the oncoming lanes either, as we rolled closer three cars approached and the last one was the local constable, as soon as he passed me, he whipped his cruiser around and hit the lights. We pulled over and pulled out all the necessary and current paperwork, he said his laser radar clocked me a 70 mph in a 55 zone, both my girl and I exclaimed that we were doing 55, he said his radar was just calibrated and it did not lie. So I was written a 15 over ticket. I wound up having to take my car to a chassis dyno to check my speedo, found that my speedo was about 5 to 6 miles an hour off which I knew, the guy running the dyno made the paper work show that my speedo was about 11-12 mph off. I took the paperwork and ticket to the court house in this small town, because the way the ticket was written I had to go to court, it was reduced to defective equipment, and still cost me 125 bucks. We later found out that the town is known for its crooked speed traps, so we avoid that area, which is sad because they have nice antique shops and restaurants.
There are not as many rackets like this as there used to be but there are still some. Benton TN is probably one of the worst speed trap operations in the United States. Tennessee state authorities should have moved in and shut them down decades ago the way Georgia state authorities did with Ludowici and Long County back in the '60s. A tag from a distant state will get you a speeding ticket regardless of your actual speed, they make up whatever number they want to and tell you they don't have to lock in the reading and show it to you. They got me one time when I was living in Maryland and had been back down to GA to visit family. New Ford Ranger pickup with Maryland tags. I knew their reputation and was being really careful, was running a little below the 35 posted limit, cop flat out lied and cited me for 51 in 35 zone. They really prey on out of state drivers on US 411 because they figure they will just roll over, play dead, and pay the fraudulent ticket.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #111
Hot Rod Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inarow View Post
Nice attitude - I'm sure it will get you places

There probably isnt any higher ratio of "cool good ones to morons" for cops as for the professional slacker/student (or dentists).
Yea, I think my laugh at life attitude has done me pretty well so far. Life is to short to be pissed off all the time anyway.

And, you are probably right about those ratios too.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #112
Dr. Fishstein
Grenade Inspector

I'll remember that as we come down that way once a year....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38fordpickup View Post
There are not as many rackets like this as there used to be but there are still some. Benton TN is probably one of the worst speed trap operations in the United States. Tennessee state authorities should have moved in and shut them down decades ago the way Georgia state authorities did with Ludowici and Long County back in the '60s. A tag from a distant state will get you a speeding ticket regardless of your actual speed, they make up whatever number they want to and tell you they don't have to lock in the reading and show it to you. They got me one time when I was living in Maryland and had been back down to GA to visit family. New Ford Ranger pickup with Maryland tags. I knew their reputation and was being really careful, was running a little below the 35 posted limit, cop flat out lied and cited me for 51 in 35 zone. They really prey on out of state drivers on US 411 because they figure they will just roll over, play dead, and pay the fraudulent ticket.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #113
carbed87

i once thought that cops would leave me alone in my car. maybe it's just me, but i think hot rods appeal to all types. well, the first time i took the damn thing to work last summer, i got pulled over by a state trooper in an inspection unit.

he asked why i didn't have front turn signals so i just responded "it's a 1931?" haha whatever, he bought it. let me go with a ticket for no mirrors...kinda sucked
Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #114
37hotrod
Alliance Member

Quote:
Don't tell me, ... you're one of those: cops can do no wrong and are really super, steller, more than human, saintly angel types, who always defends their every action?

Nope, I'm human and make mistakes. And while I DO happen to be super stellar at my job , I do work with some of the biggest slackers and slugs you have ever met!

Bottom line...my job is to keep you safe, from a multitude of threats. That includes terrorists, bank robbers, junkies, jaywalkers and bad drivers. Statistics show that more people die in traffic related incidents than all categories of violent crime combined.

Geez, everyone is all happy when the firemen show up...

Too young to quit...too old to change.

Lucky Stiffs C.C. Nomad Chapter
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #115
Hot Rod Michelle

Quote:
Nope, I'm human and make mistakes. And while I DO happen to be super stellar at my job , I do work with some of the biggest slackers and slugs you have ever met!

Bottom line...my job is to keep you safe, from a multitude of threats. That includes terrorists, bank robbers, junkies, jaywalkers and bad drivers. Statistics show that more people die in traffic related incidents than all categories of violent crime combined.

Oh. Then I stand corrected.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #116
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

except when they put your bon fire out and hand you a ticket
lol..

or worse..put out your chimena and hand you a 500 dollar ticket

Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #117
Fatbob309

I keep a loaded .40 with me at all times when I am on the road. First thing I say when the cop walks up is "I need to let you know I have a loaded gun. What would you like me to do?"
This alone has gotten me out of most of my tickets. That and I always say "Sir" when talking to them... even if they are younger than me.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #118
chaos10meter

Most of the times I got pulled over I was doing something stupid and deserved it.

"Silent City Stockers"
Old 06-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #119
customcory

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkustom51 View Post
Hey, Customcory here. My brother put this on with out me knowing it.But now that its out there, I will fill you in on the details. I was 15 and couldnt wait to drive my 48 Chevy, so after getting off the school bus in the afternoon, a few of us in the neighborhood would pile into it and go up my street, turn around and come back. More than one time most of the time. Everybody in the neighborhood was tolerant , even Officer Baird who busted liquor stills back then and sometimes carried dynamite in his car. I didnt realize another officer moved up the street, a Highway Patrolmen. I only had to go by him twice before he pulled me over in my driveway with my buddies scatering for the woods. It was scary because he swore I would not get my liscence when I turned 16. Well, the judge in my case was married to school teacher who happened to have me as a student in elementary school. She used to love me, in a good way, and was my ace in the hole at the trial. The judge throwed it out of court and later on in life I painted some graphics on his van at a body shop I worked at. We always got along after that. It all boiled down to me driving something different, old, everyday that got me to much attention. I am usually in the wrong whenever I got a ticket!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #120
spiderdeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth S View Post
A buddy of mine has a mount for his video camera on the roll cage of his 66 chevelle pro street car, when he drives it he puts the camera in the car so if he should get pulled over he can get a video of the cops attitude (before he hands the cop his drivers licence he tells them that they are being video taped, he said you'd be amazed as to how quick the one's with a bad attitude change their attitudes).
around here that camera would not survive the search
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #121
ol'chevy

If I tried half of the crap I pull in my Chevy back in my minitruck days, I would have been cuffed and stuffed long ago. I love driving old iron.

Advance Design Rescue-Bringin 'em back-one body at a time.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #122
baronvonfrankenstine

I moved from oakland california to central pa and you don't need a tailgate back home my first week being in pa I got pulled over three time for no tailgate the third cop told me to just put a piece of string across the back and they would leave me alone.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #123
HotRodToomer
Alliance Member

I recently was pulled in the fleetwood because it was 2 AM and i was driving back home from dinner with some friends. cop comes up to the window and flat out asked, "Where'd you steal this from?"
after some words with him, listing off my plate number without skipping a beat. he pulled me out, asked if he could look in the car, i said yes and as soon as he found the funnel with the 2' of 1" rubber hose and brass intake fitting on the end he says. "So you gotta beer bong huh?" Told him, "No sir, thats what i use to put trans fluid in so i dont drip it on the exhaust and have to smell it.......but you can drink out of it if you'd like." he gave me a warning and told me to get a side veiw mirror on the car right quick.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #124
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodToomer View Post
I recently was pulled in the fleetwood because it was 2 AM and i was driving back home from dinner with some friends. cop comes up to the window and flat out asked, "Where'd you steal this from?"
after some words with him, listing off my plate number without skipping a beat. he pulled me out, asked if he could look in the car, i said yes and as soon as he found the funnel with the 2' of 1" rubber hose and brass intake fitting on the end he says. "So you gotta beer bong huh?" Told him, "No sir, thats what i use to put trans fluid in so i dont drip it on the exhaust and have to smell it.......but you can drink out of it if you'd like." he gave me a warning and told me to get a side veiw mirror on the car right quick.

what a prick.."where did you steal this from"? what kind of first impression of the cops is that going to give you? protect and serve, my ass!
and i dont think there is a law against a Beer Bong..its not like you were using it while driving..or recently before.
just an excuse to fuck with you..probably while there is someone out there breaking the law but hes too busy messing with you to do anything about it.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #125
HotRodToomer
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Rigg Fink View Post
what a prick.."where did you steal this from"? what kind of first impression of the cops is that going to give you? protect and serve, my ass!
and i dont think there is a law against a Beer Bong..its not like you were using it while driving..or recently before.
just an excuse to fuck with you..probably while there is someone out there breaking the law but hes too busy messing with you to do anything about it.
its like that a lot for me, i have bad traffic/cop luck.
When in my O/T 84' monte carlo i had, i got pulled and the cop said, "the reason i pulled you over was in 84' they didnt have 3rd brake lights. this is a newer monte you put a plate from an older one on it."
I honestly was speachless. so after checking the VIN....and the door jambs, he told me my steering colum was hacked because it had paint wore off it. finally after 10 minutes, he let me go and told me to be careful.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #126
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodToomer View Post
its like that a lot for me, i have bad traffic/cop luck.
When in my O/T 84' monte carlo i had, i got pulled and the cop said, "the reason i pulled you over was in 84' they didnt have 3rd brake lights. this is a newer monte you put a plate from an older one on it."
I honestly was speachless. so after checking the VIN....and the door jambs, he told me my steering colum was hacked because it had paint wore off it. finally after 10 minutes, he let me go and told me to be careful.

Fishin' thats what i call it..
too bad they cant get out there and really do what they are supposed to be doing..thats what we are all paying them for..but they forget who they are supposed to be working for..not harassing.

Honestly I havent had many issues with the police..Once stopped in FLA for loud exhaust on a Harley..yeah..imagine that..lol
when he stuck his night stick up the tail pipe and it hit the baffel..he had nothing more to say, except "have a nice night ..ride safe"..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #127
53PlymCran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Rigg Fink View Post
Fishin' thats what i call it..
too bad they cant get out there and really do what they are supposed to be doing..thats what we are all paying them for..but they forget who they are supposed to be working for..not harassing.
That's not necessarily true. It may be he thought it was stolen because whatever year car it was didn't originally come with a third eye brake light. He could have just been wrong. And think about it. Say somebody stole your ride, and put a plate from a similar vehicle on it. Wouldn't you want a cop harassing a person he thinks may have stolen it? If a cop saw a guy driving a split window vette, and the plate said it was a '62 or '64, I'd sure as heck stop it because those were only made in '63 (so I've heard). If the cop's wrong, well sorry for the inconvenience - it's not that he's fucking with the guy, it's because he's thinking dude's driving some poor bastards stolen car.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #128
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

But I thought '84 was the first year for third brake lights. And they sold plenty of add-on kits for them back in the day.

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #129
HotRodToomer
Alliance Member

yeah, he was fucking with me. my friends on the force with him and said he's just an angry guy. I wish i had it on tape, it'd be funny now. all the way home i was pissed.
On top of that my car wasnt the only one around. it was the only 84 that looked like it did with the Meat's & Slims, hood pins, Tach & autozone steering wheel.

Maybe he thought i was a street racer with my badass 3.8 V6! haha.
As for getting pulled in the 53' The hell if i know, guess he just Thought i look too shady to be driving that barge. (I do get told almost daily i look like the devil)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #130
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52style View Post
had a cop smash out my headlight with his flashlight once when i asked him why he pulled me over he said because i had a headlight out

but i think it had little to do with my vehicle and more that i wouldnt rat on my buddy a week earlier when i was handcuffed to a chair being beaten with a phone book
Saw three cops beat the hell out of my dad at a bait shop in SE Tx when I was about 4 years old, my personal memory of it is a bit clouded, but my older brother who was with us told me they pulled up from the opposite direction as us, and were walking into the store as dad came out, told him "I don't think you should drive today," and just started beating the shit out of him. Dad held his own until the THIRD cop jumped in.

Dad went to what resembled a jail, we followed in the van, the Justice O' Peace let dad go because his family needed him...a month later those cops were sentenced to prison time for killing a man and throwing him in a ditch...they were being investigated in other missing persons cases going back several years.

I hated police for years because of that, dad wasn't a hippie...had short hair, just an old cowboy. Things change, I don't know if there are still any of those places where cops catch someone on some bogus charge, run them to a store where the mayor or jp has court or not..but it USED to go on a lot.

Not all cops are bad, but the ones who are...man...what do ya do?

Kinda ironic...dad was voted in as constable here several years ago, and is pretty good friends with the Sheriff to this day, LoL!

edit: I got pulled over here once in the "corvecayne," anyone who saw it knew why it should be pulled over. Scrub line? I didn't know the meaning of the word at the time, I had a license plate, but it wasn't bolted on yet. There were no mufflers, just a split pipe that ran to each side and out of open lake pipes. The steering wheel was cut down to look like that from some cartoon airplane from the 40s, stolen 8 ball on the shifter, not much of an interior...the cop was a guy that used to have me light up my flame throwers when I was at the shop next to the Jr High when he was 13 or so, just wanted to look at the car. He told me to put the plate on and let me go...

Rat rod? No. This was before the time those words were used much and the original HAMB people liked that sort of thing, was one of the first cars Ryan let be put in the "for sale" section...he even used it on some logo I think...my attitude towards cars has changed since then like many others' have, but I have to say, other than the scrubline issue, and the "dik kruncher" steering wheel, it was safe and fun to drive.

Last edited by hillbilly; 06-04-2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: to add on topic stuff
Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #131
Von Kragen

all of my tickets were legit. for speeding... plenty of warnings for other random stuff that if my attitude was bad could have ticketed. only once did i call bullsh*t on a prick officer. said i didnt stop at a stop sign getting on hwy 61 i said b/s i sat there and waited for 2 cars to go by! no ticket! probably just fishin.

some really dont know the laws though and dont care since the burden of proof is on you. most people will just pay rather than miss work and the hassle of fighting it.

the msra was handing out copies of the statutes about blue dots and single plates on collector cars so you could keep it in the glove box.

a funny note .. a buddy of mine once got a loud exhaust ticket in his chevelle the cop said it was suppossed to sound like his cruiser wtf?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #132
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynewyorker View Post
But I thought '84 was the first year for third brake lights. And they sold plenty of add-on kits for them back in the day.
Didn't some people do this in the 50s with those stuffed animals on the package tray whose red eyes lit up when the brakes were applied?

I still remember the sales pitch from the 90s...the people who made the aftermarket ones had ads that made you believe EVERY car had to have one by midnight on some certain date, whether they came with it originally or not. I put one in a 66 Polara....with an added blue dot. It came out pretty quick because I didn't like the way it looked. First time I've heard of it being a reason for them to pull ya over though!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 AM   #133
uglydog56
Grenade Inspector

In washington you are allowed to drive a fenderless car legally unless it's raining, which oh wait it does every day of the year.

I got pulled over in my o/t 84 v8 S-10 during 2000 power tour in Tunica, MS. There were instantly 3 cars. First, they stated they pulled me over for the stereo being too loud. Oops, there was a giant empty hole in the middle of my dash. Then, they claimed my license plate lights were out. Oops, I had just installed a painless wiring harness, and everything worked. Then they asked us what we were doing in town. "Going to the laundramat to do laundry." Then they asked us what was in the trash bags in the back of the pickup. Uhh, dirty laundry? They asked us how long we expected to be at the laundramat. We told them 2 hours and as soon as they left we decided it was okay to be dirty for a couple more days and hightailed it out of there before we got nightsticked to death and anal body cavity searched. The thing was, I was running the plate off my 56 chevy belair because I didn't have time to change the title over in Washington (I was in the process of moving) so they could have legitimately got me on that.

I have lots of tickets, but nearly all of them are in my parts getters, not my toys. Although no matter how much I smile, I always get a ticket. They run your record and see you have some, you're screwed. If you don't have any, they'll generally give you a warning.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #134
wingspread7
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKET88COUPE View Post
the trick is to make believe your the police,look your car over or what ever your driving and ask yourself would i ticket this thing?some ive seen on the road today,i wouldnt have drove to high school in the fifties,others are damn right neat
Bingo! That's real close to an idea I've been pushing here on the HAMB. How bout' starting a tradition of having another HAMBstr look over your ride? It's done in the aviation hobby. Having another pair of eyeballs is always a good safety check. If we don't do something to improve our safety record (thanks to rat rods & the like) we'll suffer the same fate as European rodders and I'm not just talking about safety belts and roll bars. Have you seen the "Scariest things" thread? Things like ground clearance is critical to others on the road as well as the drivers. Could you honestly say that you could avoid a low spot @ 60 MPH in the dark which could send your rod or custom spinning wildly out of control? I saw a video recently where a big bunch of rat rodders drove their cars from California to some show in Las Vegas. No inspection stickers on em'. Remember, your up against a cell phone distracted and invinceable aditude because of a dependance on air bags, shoulder harnesses and full coverage insurance. That's why I don't ride bikes any more. Cops will only look the other way until some spectacular wreck happens wherein someone inocent is killed by one which wasn't legal.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #135
PoPo

I hate cops..
Old 07-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #136
Hooligan63

Quote:
I would fight that one if I were you. If all else fails, talk to an attorney that specifically handles traffic cases. I bet he/she gets it thrown out on all kinds of technicalities. Good luck.
Well,he can get the racing ticket thrown out,but it is illegal to modify your exhaust in the way he did.And that fine is worse than a speeding for 45 in a 35
Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #137
cgaswillys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57JoeFoMoPar View Post
There is a general respect for classics here in NJ at least. Lots of cops I know are into the hobby as well, and I've frequently sat and talked cars over a cup of coffee with local PD. Most are good guys just doing their job, which unfortunately, often means writing BS citations to earn revenue for the town/state. Stay on the right side of the law, and you'll generally have no issues. That means at least a lap belt, a reselmblence of an exhaust system, and driving habits that don't include revving the piss out of the engine to draw attention to yourself and holeshots at stop lights. Attitude does go a long way, the police can smell asshole a mile away, and if you reek of it and a rat rod rockasilly attitude, the police will go far out of their way to screw your day up, and do so with a smile. When you see your local PD, smile and wave. talk to them and engage them. Answer questions about your car. Ask them about their families. Honestly, that's the way it should be whether the person is a cop or not. A little kindness and courtesy go a long way in life

57 joe, I gotta agree with you. Don't be a DICK and you won't get hassled. I've driven hot rods with no mufflers past the cops for many years and if your being cool they will be too. Piss them off and there going to mess up your day.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #138
KreaturesCCaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Kill PU View Post
Got stopped in my car by the patrol in Missouri. I was asked if I knew how fast I was going. I said honestly I did not know, that my speedo was broke(true) and I was running with a guy in a Dodge Dakota PU. The cop said yeh, we got him too. Any way he looked my car over, checked the car license, my license, told me to watch my speed and said have a nice trip and down the road he went. Nice guy.
Later,
Dick
I used to live in Republic, MO for a very short time. The local stormtroopers stopped me about once a week as I came home from work. I had a '74 Delta 88 convertible with mild turbo mufflers and always watched my speed. Four of the times I was pulled over, they tore the shit out of my car and left me to reassemble the interior on the side of the road. I have no idea why they were like that with me, other than the fact that I had the audacity to have tattoos in their precious little village. I moved away from there after only 6 months. I couldn't stand it any more. No offense to you or any other resident of that town, but the cops there are DICKS and I was always polite and courteous to them, even as they ripped my car apart, convinced that I was a druggie.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #139
Hooligan63

Quote:

I'd rather run in to an officer than a fireman,,because the fireman always wants to show off his hose and pick up all the ladies.Funny enough,two of my favorite friends are both,one's a firefighter,and the other one is a Riverside County Sheriff.I make sure to get along with law enforcement wherever I go.I've been pulled over,both in classics and in newer model cars.
A few cases in point:
When I worked as an auto repossessor,I had to repo an O/T Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4,was doing about 110 because I had the owner chasing me in his car,and I was trying to get it to C.A.D.E. in Tustin.Got pulled over by O.C. Highway Patrol,and went through the steps,told him exactly where I was going and why I was speeding,even let him call my boss who just exited the freeway in front of me.After cleared of everything,I pointed out the owner of the vehicle in his other car,so the officer went and stalled him until I was way out of range and dropped off the car.I was very respectful in my answers and the way I acted towards the officer.

Also was pulled over sort of in my old O/T daily a while back.I blew a red light right in front of an officer in Rialto,CA,and I pulled myself over,because I realized what I had done and then realized I did it right in front of an officer.He pulled up behind me,I admitted to what i did and apologized,and he let me go.What he said though was funny,he said "Next time at least keep going so i can hit my lights and siren so it'll make my job at least interesting".Must have been a slow day.

The local police up here are cool too.Been escorted home when an exhaust hanger broke and I had to drive about 2 miles to my house throwing 7 foot spark trails.No ticket.

Every officer up here knows who I am and what I drive,and what car I get qwhenever I get another one.I don't drive like a jackass and always am respectful,and never get messed with.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #140
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

I've seen a couple of what would be considered pretty decent unfinished rods locally lately that were covered in the RR crap. A day of de-ratting either of the two Model A coupes I saw at a local show a while back would have them in the running for an unfinished award at most shows.
I've also seen some that were beyond unsafe showing up and hoped that they didn't actually get driven on the roads.

In the 48 I used to get pulled over for being too low in front although not having a front plate in this state seems to be a bigger infraction at the moment.

I'll agree that having another set of eyes check your rig for "real" safety issues is a good thing. Missing cotter keys and the like could be real killers.

From past experience if the whole car or truck looks like it is complete package with everything in order you don't usually get bothered near as much as one that looks like you just threw it together over the past weekend.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #141
matthewsuckerpunch
Grenade Inspector

ive never had problems in my chevy. i have a fuel pump going bad in my car, i was driving to the cell phone place one day and got about half a mile from my house. we were going up this hill that is actually a bridge with nothing on the sides but 8 inch high sidewalks. anyway, the car desides to not push fuel to my carb so the damn thing dies so i pull as far over as i can. i couldnt jump the curb cause my cars only about 3 inches off the ground. so i desided to wait till all the traffic had passed and then rolled down the hill. sadly i only made it about 10 feet before i hit the curb. anyway, im sitting there for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what im going to do when i cop stops and asks if i can get someone to tow me, i said no because help was atleast an hour out and a tow truck wouldnt be able to get under the car. so he told me to wait a few minutes so i did. 5 minutes goes by and 3 other cop cars show up. 2 of them are to block off traffic and the others (2 cops per car for help) came and pushed my car up the hill a bit so i could straighten it out then down the hill. i was kindof embarassed by the whole thing being that they stopped traffic in the middle of town and im in this old ass car thinkin to myself "everything is looking at me thinking, wtf did you expect to happen in that crap tank?" anywho, it was super nice of them to help me out and they all started checking the car out when it was all done telling me how cool they thought my car was. embarassment aside, it was all good in the end.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #142
patrick66
Old School HAMBer

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

There was an episode of "Speeders" on yesterday that had a cop pull over a '39 Ford pickup that had lots of "patina", the door painted with something clever, the ever-popular SBC, and a typical trad ride, otherwise. The guy made an illegal turn. Cop goes after him. Driver is running 1939 Cali plates that are NOT registered to the truck. Guy has a suspended license. Neither he nor the cops can find anything resembling a vehicle number on the truck anywhere. No insurance. No registration. The cop spends an hour with this guy! The driver couldn't keep his mouth shut as he got deeper in trouble. The cop cut him a break by not hauling him to jail, but he DID get his '39 towed off on a rollback...and a $450 ticket.

Good luck getting that one back without a title, registration, insurance, and a valid license. So, if any of you guys know the impound lots around the northern parts of suburban L.A., you might be able to score a '39 pickup at the auctions!
Screw with your neighbors...name your Wi-Fi network "NSA Surveillance Van #6"...
Old 07-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #143
23 bucket-t
Alliance Member

They just wave and say nice car.
" Rule #62. Don't take yourself too damn seriously."